Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Eastcoast's Trip

[ea...]

[50...]

My typing speed is good now too, since I type alot on the computer at night.  My handwriting is horrible now.  I used to type alot anyway since I worked as a Data Entry person for many years when I was younger and had to have fast typing speed.  I don't know how people use smartphones when it's not a keyboard?  I don't even have one.  I guess they just use their thumbs to type?  I don't even know.  It's so much easier and faster to type on a regular keyboard.  I have a Toshiba Network with a regular keyboard which is why I can type so much.

Lol I’m one who can’t thumb text. My handwriting is awful too. Handwriting...a lost art. I’ve had an iPhone since the 3s in 2010. I learned to type in high school on a manual typewriter, so I type okay, but my hands have to be placed “correctly” on a keyboard. It takes me forever to “hunt & peck”

on a keyboard but I can text pretty quickly, especially with predictive text 👍🏻😁 I’d feel lost without my smartphone, although I rarely talk on it.

I learned to type on a manual typewriter too when I was very young.  Then electric typewriters in highschool when you had to add paper to it. 

[50...]

I learned to type on a manual typewriter too when I was very young.  Then electric typewriters in highschool when you had to add paper to it.

Hi, Becks. How are you? ♥️ Lol long time ago that we learned to type on those manual typewriters, huh? 😊 I hope you’re well, honey.

Nope. No printer. This non techie woman needs her money for living.

It depends what you do. I'm a musician. I write music, edit music, and I need to print it out in lessons. Can't do my work without it. My wife and stepdaughter are both very artistic and do graphic work.

When my printer does not work, it's as bad an not being able to log on to the Net.

Speaking of which, I finally got through my blog and found out exactly when I left here. It was in the fall of 2015, about 1.5 years after I joined, and the cause of my leaving was getting locked out of the place. It was an on and off thing over about three months, and when I finally got back in, I did not trust the site any more.

(Bad memories of that...)

My typing speed is good now too, since I type alot on the computer at night.  My handwriting is horrible now.  I used to type alot anyway since I worked as a Data Entry person for many years when I was younger and had to have fast typing speed.  I don't know how people use smartphones when it's not a keyboard?  I don't even have one.  I guess they just use their thumbs to type?  I don't even know.  It's so much easier and faster to type on a regular keyboard.  I have a Toshiba Network with a regular keyboard which is why I can type so much.

I'm the same. I type a bit on my cell phone, texting, but only when necessary, and I hate it. It slows my thinking down to a crawl...

Lol I’m one who can’t thumb text. My handwriting is awful too. Handwriting...a lost art. I’ve had an iPhone since the 3s in 2010. I learned to type in high school on a manual typewriter, so I type okay, but my hands have to be placed “correctly” on a keyboard. It takes me forever to “hunt & peck”

on a keyboard but I can text pretty quickly, especially with predictive text 👍🏻😁 I’d feel lost without my smartphone, although I rarely talk on it.

I took a typing course in high school and came close to flunking it. My typing looked like this:

i lr[y ,oddomh yjomhds;; pbrt yjr [;svr.

I'd move my hands over while not being allowed to look, and disaster.

So I said "Fork that!" and never again went near a manual. When I got a computer, I learned from scratch. Had to ask a secretary where to put my fingers. I simply made note of which finger "plays" each letter, then looked. A couple years later I didn't need to look anymore. Today I can type just as fast in the dark.

With the bells that went off at the end of a line, and where typing two letters at the same time meant jamming the mechanism. And having to correct every mistake. NO FUN!!!

[50...]

I took a typing course in high school and came close to flunking it. My typing looked like this:

i lr[y ,oddomh yjomhds;; pbrt yjr [;svr.

LOL Hahahhaa

I'd move my hands over while not being allowed to look, and disaster.

So I said "Fork that!" and never again went near a manual. When I got a computer, I learned from scratch. Had to ask a secretary where to put my fingers. I simply made note of which finger "plays" each letter, then looked. A couple years later I didn't need to look anymore. Today I can type just as fast in the dark.

LOL I just cannot type unless my hands are on the right keys and like you, I can type in the dark now.  I like to think I began typing in the dark ages with a manual. I would love to have an old manual typewriter... just to look at, of course. :) I was lost trying to text on a smartphone at first.  Now I text so much I'm used to it.

[50...]

With the bells that went off at the end of a line, and where typing two letters at the same time meant jamming the mechanism. And having to correct every mistake. NO FUN!!!

I'm literally laughing out loud. Fun times.........NOT.  :laugh:

LOL! THIS old lady actually prefers the old ways. I loved typing my letters. No one writes letters anymore, a huge loss. An old typewriter gave you time to think and decided how you wanted to word things.

But then again, the internet brought all of us together in one small part of the world. Now THAT is pretty wonderful.

My neighbors outdoor cat, Nabu - is either dying or already gone. She is 20 years old and has always lived outside. That alone is a miracle. I got home at almost 4 and could somehow FEEL she has left us. I truly hope so. She has not been doing well the past couple weeks. I love Nabu. A grand old Siamese with a large personality. She never cared for me a bit until both Orrie and Peggy died. Within a week after that, she became my friend. She sensed I needed a cat friend.

I prayed last evening that God take her soon. I hope my strong sense of the world being empty of Nabu is true.

I will miss her but more importantly, I don't want her to suffer.

Oh lord almighty. Why did the computer demon erase my post??? IU know I did not hit wrong key. I just wrote a couple paragraphs about someone who is going into a detox place tonight. nd it suddenly just went POOF, and disappeared.

This is precisely why I prefer old fashioned typing. Sometimes I detest electronic crap.

The old typewriters that you had to put ink ribbons in and your fingers got all inked up.  The bell at the end.  They weighed about 100 lbs.  Paper jams.  Made your fingers sore because it was so hard to press on the keys.  Then after the electric typewriters, the word processors came.  I had a Brother WP.  I thought it was so neat.  About a 4" screen, but you could make corrections on it before you printed it out.  Had two of them. 

[50...]

The old typewriters that you had to put ink ribbons in and your fingers got all inked up.  The bell at the end.  They weighed about 100 lbs.  Paper jams.  Made your fingers sore because it was so hard to press on the keys.  Then after the electric typewriters, the word processors came.  I had a Brother WP.  I thought it was so neat.  About a 4" screen, but you could make corrections on it before you printed it out.  Had two of them.

😊 Good memories.

LOL! THIS old lady actually prefers the old ways. I loved typing my letters. No one writes letters anymore, a huge loss. An old typewriter gave you time to think and decided how you wanted to word things.

Annie, I get my thoughts down at lightning speed, but then I have time to change things. Part of my job IS writing, and I have to get things right. The ability to edit is a God-send, and the inability to do that on a typewriter is exactly what I loathed it. If I had to type this on a typewriter, even if it would later magically transmit, I would not be writing at all.

I'm all in on modern communication. It's the part of the modern world I like best!

Can't believe a cat lived to 20 outside. That's amazing!

Gaer

All excellent points. I agree about the ability to edit. As I have gotten older and my hands arthritic, I no longer spell as well. I just hit the wrong key. Its very annoying. Plus my hands often ache.

Yes, Nabu is 20 and always lived outdoors. She is still alive but not doing much except sleeping. Laurie says she seems comfortable. And they are not ready to put her down and don't have the money to boot. If I felt richer I would pay for it. But I am not that rich now. It costs about $150 to put a cat down. I just feel so sad that we are losing her. She became my friend shortly after Peggy died. She just sensed I needed a cat friend.

Am having troubles with the site I get work from. I was charged $99 for three leads that did not work out. Two cancelled for financial reasons and one for reasons I do not know. I am calling them tomorrow to try to get a refund. Thumbtack used to be a decent site for all sorts of professional. Then they decided they only want to make money and Pros starting leaving them in droves.

In fact, when I saw these charges and a couple more, I realized I couldnt afford topay for my RN license.

This is one messed up world. Humans have ruined this beautiful planet. Human beings are the worst species. I always think that when going into a store. Cigarette butts on the sidewalks and parking lots despite there being huge ashtrays. Trash dropped, including food. I had to stop by my neighbor hood Walmart (a smll version of Walmart). Trash everywhere, as usual and no cart wipes. I went into their liquor store for an ingredient in a dish I am going to make. I had a cart, and the checkout clerk ingtercepted me to say: "unless you need that cart to walk you should not bring it down the aisle with all the bottles." HUH??? Isnt that what shopping carts are for? To put bottles and items in? But YES because of mybad leg pushing a cart does help me. I was stunned at her saying this. Not the first time either. One day I was at the self checkout and this same woman very rudely interupted me to say I wasnt doing something right, something about the self checkout machine. NO other Walmart employee has been this rude to me. In fact, most are super nice and try to be helpful despite being overworked and underpaid.

Oh well. Rude people sometimes have reasons for their behavior. It may just be a habit with this woman, or maybe she had a lousy childhood and takes it out on others. Who knows? She might just be a bit crazy! LOL! I wont report her, because it isnt worth the time and effort. And she is about my age or older and probably depends on the money. Shrug this stuff off, Annie.

All excellent points. I agree about the ability to edit. As I have gotten older and my hands arthritic, I no longer spell as well. I just hit the wrong key. Its very annoying. Plus my hands often ache.

I'm always in a rush to get my ideas down. I can type almost as fast as I can talk, so I just vomit out a bunch of words, then go back to clean up what is wrong. That approach was impossible in the days of true typewriters. I suppose I could type more accurately if I forced myself to slow down. Maybe I should. I also think there is much less feel on a limp computer keyboard. But thank God for the ability to edit! Backspace is my favorite key!

LOL! I used to be a fast typist but not anymore.

The mood on BB tonight seems to be the perennial "I will never heal" stuff. I know just how that feels. Awful, because at that point of healing you do not know you are healing and don't know if you can believe what you read here. I went through that and you did too.

Certain themes seem perennial here, and that is one of them.

The old manual typewriters. . .  . the keys would bend and get stuck together and when you'd hit a key two would fly up to the paper.  Then they had a ball with all the letters and other stuff on it.  I used to put my finger behind the ball and try to type on my finger.  The darn ribbons would come out of the guides all the time.  Had to use a white typewriter pencil to erase or the sheets of white "white out" and strike the key that had the error on it.  It took hours sometimes to type just one error-free page.  I still have one of those darn typewriter eraser pencils somewhere in a drawer.  Thank God for the word processor that came along then and of course the computers.  Microsoft Word was a Godsend.  I don't like spell checking, it distracts.

he darn ribbons would come out of the guides all the time.  Had to use a white typewriter pencil to erase or the sheets of white "white out" and strike the key that had the error on it.

I had bottles and bottles for fixing mistakes in music, all of which I wrote by hand. Unlike for language there was not "typewriter" for music, so we went from writing by hand directly to music programs that let us print things out. I haven't used white out in a couple decades.

Thank God for the word processor that came along then and of course the computers.  Microsoft Word was a Godsend.  I don't like spell checking, it distracts.

Do you mean you don't like running a spellchecker after typing? Or that the red lines under mistakes distract you?

Probably cuz I don't what I am doing, spell checker only works sometimes and is not always correct!

I forgot.......I tried to bump this up for a member in big distress, and couldn't. I do feel frustrated at times.

Okay day off. Errands, bought a really nice smelling loaf of fresh bread at Publix. Baked in house. It smells of onions and garlic and rosemary.  Plus its thin sliced which for someone who had a gastric bypass is a very good thing. Big pieces of bread just fill my small stomach TOO much!

I have lost track of time but its been over a month since I "almost quit" smoking. Only one cig a day is very good for this lady who has smoked since 1968. The Ecigs are helping. I only get cravings when I smeel someone elses cigarette smoke. Ugh, what an ugly and stupid habit. Benzos were terrible but smoking is somewhat worse, IMO.

Got my handicapped placket in the mail today. It reaslly does help IF I can find a handicap parking place!  Florida is full of people who qualify for this.

I am up to 118 lbs. My current goal is NO more than 125. I am a small person. 5'3". I have sort of big bones but not THAT big. Carrying excess weight would make my leg hurt more, so that is not how I want to go.

I have continued to reduce my pain pump med by 2% every time I get a refill. I think I am down 10% now. No excess pain, yet. I just need to find out if I really need pain meds now, but want to avoid opiate withdrawal on top of all my other troubles.

i cancelled my appointment with the heme doc. My PMD suggested this and I agree, since I will never agree to a bone marrow biopsy. The only treatment for what I think I have is baby aspirin and quitting smoking.

Red lines are a distraction, plus I don't write anything anymore that's important on my computer.  I just do emails and write on this forum mostly and mistakes don't matter here. 

I have lost track of time but its been over a month since I "almost quit" smoking. Only one cig a day is very good for this lady who has smoked since 1968. The Ecigs are helping. I only get cravings when I smeel someone elses cigarette smoke. Ugh, what an ugly and stupid habit. Benzos were terrible but smoking is somewhat worse, IMO.

I hate cigarettes, even the smell of them, so this is a habit I've never had to face. But if you are down to 1 a day, seems like you are close to being done with them. I see lots of people "vaping", so it must work.

Strangely, the hardest habit for me to have quit is probably caffeine, then I did it. Since it stopped my migraines, I've never gone near it again. But K was the biggest battle of my life, as you very well know, and to this moment I can't discuss what I went through except with other people here - and certainly not with my GP.