Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Just thought this might help.....I was put on a beta blocker......mos. ago solely for the heart palps and elevated b/p.......I started to forget to take it and realized my chest no longer felt constricted.....in fact I no longer notice anything weird in my chest at all.....I think it has been better for a few weeks.....I had been so preoccupied with head s/x I guess I did not notice until last week when my head s/x improved that my chest was back to normal..... I think I can safely say it is gone.....

When I was not sure if I had forgotten to take the the med I called my pharmacist to ask what to do......I was on my way to the gym and I was afraid to raise my heart rate w/o the med......he asked me to stop so they could check my h/r and b/p......my h/r was 63 resting and b/p 118/69 I was so happy.....because I am almost positive that I did not take any med. and I was fine.....YAY it does get better..... :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

All of this will pass everyone......take care... :thumbsup:....m

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support Garton and Minnie. :thumbsup: Garton, I've read your posts on here. Sorry you've had to deal with these for so long. I've only had them for 6 months, so I am still learning to cope. Since they were bad in the beginning and got somewhat better I thought the worst was behind me. I didn't think they could come out of the blue worse than ever 2 months out post jump. I have been thouroghly tested so I'm pretty sure they're benign.

Minnie, is your med a beta-blocker? I thought I could do this without one, but I'm seriously considering it now.

Hi Wonder.... yes, it is called metoprolol....my pharmacist told me it was much safer to take that than to have b/p and h/r spikes....I have had no problems with it at all.....I was taking a 25mg 2x a day for 6 or 7 mos.....I forgot to take it the other day and went without until evening and had no problems.....my heart palps are gone now......so I have cut the dose in half and plan to go off completely in about a week....tapering some of course....

It will pass.... but it is sooo scary when it happens....I always felt something weird going on in my chest even when my heart was beating normally...that is gone now to....TG.... :yippee: :yippee:...

If you take it you will not have heart palps or b/p spikes it is so worth it.....one less thing to worry about.... :clap:....

Take care.... :smitten:.....m

Minnie...you can google search pacs and pvcs.  Lot's of good stuff on different sites.  You soon realize that they are pretty much harmless but extremely scary.  No one likes that feeling in your chest.  Some freak out when they get a few a day others tolerate hundreds to thousand per day.  So it is all about your mindset.  I suggest to put yourself at ease go to a cardiologist.  Most likely they will do a 24 hour holter moniter, echocardiogram to check the heart structure for abnormalities and maybe a stress test.  I can almost guarantee you will hear you have either premature ventricular contractions or premature atrial contractions....not to worry, most people do experience them during their lives, many not even aware of them.  Those of us who are more sensitive, worriers and dealing with anxiety will suffer more.

Hope this posts helps you.  I know how you feel.  Good luck.

Hi Garton....thankyou....for that info....when I was in acute at about 5 wks I think.....I went to the er due to chest discomfort....they did a stress test...they said something was a little off....they then proceeded to do a heart cath......only to tell me my heart was fine, beautiful veins etc....it was a false positive......TG....I was so scared.....now I do not worry at all.....so that was an extreme procedure not one I would have chosen but I now at least have peace of mind.... :thumbsup:

Hope you are doing well......m..

Thanks Minnie...Matter of fact I go to my cardiologist tomorrow.  I am 58 now and am for the first time ever having skipped beats that occur while I am exercising.  As heart rate picks up the skips start about 10 to 15 per minute.  I exercise with no other symptoms so I am hoping it is just one of those things.  I still stress out going to the cardiologist or any doc for that matter.  BP goes through the roof as the fight or flight response kicks in.  Really annoying that I have no control over that.  Anyhow...hoping it is nothing  other than pvcs or pacs that mean absolutely nothing. 

Hi  garton.....heart things can be so scary......I have had palps since I was about 23.....I am now 61.....they are actually very common as you probably read.....still really scary.....sometimes it would feel like my heart would stop and then reset.....

I have lived with them so long and have always been told they happen to almost everyone.....most people just are not aware of them when they happen....

So has this just started since stopping benzos?.....they have happened to so many people on here......it is tragic how this drug has reeked havoc...with our bodies.....

Let me know how it goes tomorrow....you will be in my thoughts.... :smitten:.... m...

Thanks Minnie. ;) They seem to be backing down a bit. I still had quite a few today, but not nearly as much as the previous 2 days. I've had them every day for 6 months, and was getting used to them, but having them non-stop was just too much for me. I'm using my calming skills and it seems to be working for now. Your attitude towards them reassures me as well. Thanks again.

I'm mad! I are no bad foods today as soon as I lay in bed my heart rate hits 90. My normal is 64 At bed time!outbof the blue I'm almost ten months out!!! Any one out there have them stop after a year off benzos? I have atenolol but I don't want  to take it! It don't happen much or even after coffee or a soda it's so weird!!!

Happy me

Hi Happy....I am not as far out as you.....but if it helps I had them for about 7 mos....many times they just came out of the blue....just sitting on the couch or in bed....so frustrating  :tickedoff: and scary....they will end for you.....

Ashton says they are nothing to worry about, that it is no different than if we were running to catch a bus....as far as our heart is concerned...that was a huge reassurance to me....hope that helps some..

I hope it lifts soon.... :smitten:,,,m...

Happy- I quit coffee a while back and it made absolutely no difference. I've come to the conclusion that it's just the nervous system out of whack, and there's no understanding it. It's frustrating I know!

Hi Wonder.....I am am glad you are having a little reprieve :clap:.....I had to just walk around sometimes because I was afraid I was having a heart attack.....trying to be still when it happened was nearly impossible....between adrenalin rushes and heart racing it is just hard to remain calm....they will go away though....learning to calm yourself is the best thing you can do... :thumbsup:

I just said to Happyme that Ashton said the heart racing was no different to your heart than it would be if you were running to catch a bus....that was very reassuring to me.....

This sure is a ride straight from hell :tickedoff:...but we will make it....m :smitten:

Thanks everyone it's good to know I'm not alone!!! It lasted all night 90s I didn't sleep at all! Coffe don't seem to reve me up it just hits when it wants with no warning!!!

Sucks!!!

Hugs happy me

The anxiety and heart palps have been something else for over a week. :-( I hate this...I'm just sitting at my desk and it just happens.  :'( sometimes I feel like a shell of myself.

Oh LM.....this is so so hard I am with you.....words of reassurance sound so hollow....we will get through this....you are still whole it is just buried in this nightmare.....more than words.... I am feeling what you are saying and my heart goes out to you....hang on LM.... :therethere:

..m.. :smitten:

Oh LM.....this is so so hard I am with you.....words of reassurance sound so hollow....we will get through this....you are still whole it is just buried in this nightmare.....more than words.... I am feeling what you are saying and my heart goes out to you....hang on LM.... :therethere:

..m.. :smitten:

Thank you my dear :-) I'm glad I'm not alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  Happy me and the others,

I read this  "Heart Palps Support Group",  It is very helpful, the most of the topics,

I have been in Benzos for 8 months, started 0.5 a day Lorazepam due to panic attack and GERD,  now I take 1.0  in four parts 0.125 each. 

at 8am, 12 am 4 pm and 8 pm.

I think I hit tolerance, because when I' close to the next dose, I started feeling chest pain,  then I check my blood pressure and it high

146/80  76 heart rate.  , my normal  heart rate is 119/66  72 before benzos,  after I took a 0.125 Lorazepam goes down to 133/76  72

I went to see my endocrinologist and he prescribe me  Atenolol  25mg  and take half of it. for my chest pain and high blood pressure. 

my cardiologist  didn't  want to give me any Beta Blockers, he said  140/80 is normal.  just relax. 

before at night I could be relax and sleep 3 or 4 hours,  now  I cant sleep even 2 hrs.  the chest pain was there, but not as many as now, and not at night. 

If I take one 0.5 Lorazepam everything is going back to normal.  I feel almost normal. 

question:

I'm kind of withdrawing because I don't increase the dose. 

How can use the Atenolol if I'm still using Lorazepam,  I saw most of you are off of Benzos, but I'm still using it. 

I'm want to taper slowly with the Atenolol help,  I went many times to the cardiologist and they said my Heart is fine.

I concern to get to low blood pressure if I use both of them, (plus Prozac two weeks now, doing great )

Please advise,    at night seems that is the high blood pressure doesn't let me sleep.

I'm taking Prozac to help with my withdraw plans.

Thanks

Hi Tex- Blood pressure fluctuation is a common withdrawal sx. I exercise, eat right, and am pretty healthy, but I get random high blood pressure. I think all this stuff will pass in time.

I can't help with the beta blocker. I opted not to take it. Good luck.

Happy- I quit coffee a while back and it made absolutely no difference. I've come to the conclusion that it's just the nervous system out of whack, and there's no understanding it. It's frustrating I know!

I can pretty much guarantee it helped to reduce stimulants.

Hi everyone. Month 5 has not been kind to me at all. More shortness of breath & heart palps. Anyone use oxygen? I'm out of breath and have these disturbing diaphragm spasms.  :'(

When will it end?

Hi LM. Shortness of breath is a common anxiety symptom. I've had it a lot over the years, but every time I get checked out my oxygen level is great. If you've been checked you're probably okay. It sucks I know. I hope you feel better soon. You're 2 months ahead of me! Way to go!

I can pretty much guarantee it helped to reduce stimulants.

One would think so, but no.