Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

Hi There,

I posted many pages  back quite a while ago about my heart palps and SVT and all the things that I found have worked. Anyway, I had them constantly and even had heart rates over 250 bpm. I had them for years and even had 2 cardiac ablations. I continued to have them after my ablations and now know it was from interdose w/d. I am now 13 months off of Xanax and have only had 1 short burst of fast rate in the past 6 months. It does get better! I promise!

:smitten:

Hopeful Girl

mine did not abate till 5 years post acute withdrawal 

250bpm and above is no fun, i know

i refused the ablation knowing it would not treat the cause just the symptom

the doctor did not seem to understand...

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi There,

I posted many pages  back quite a while ago about my heart palps and SVT and all the things that I found have worked. Anyway, I had them constantly and even had heart rates over 250 bpm. I had them for years and even had 2 cardiac ablations. I continued to have them after my ablations and now know it was from interdose w/d. I am now 13 months off of Xanax and have only had 1 short burst of fast rate in the past 6 months. It does get better! I promise!

:smitten:

Hopeful Girl

mine did not abate till 5 years post acute withdrawal 

250bpm and above is no fun, i know

i refused the ablation knowing it would not treat the cause just the symptom

the doctor did not seem to understand...

Mentor,

If I knew then what I know now, I would have refused, too. It was brutal for me and a slow recovery. I'm glad yours is better and that you opted out!  :thumbsup:

Hopeful Girl

• 1 month later...

Hey All, I am 8.5 months CT from ambien. I have been suffering very harsh WDs (neuropathic pain, intense body burning, tinntitus, insomnia, back pain, anxiety, panic, crying). But for the past 10 days, heart palps have been really bad. I notice them the most when I lay down, my heart is pounding, jumping, fluttering. A few weeks ago, I had an EKG, and showed slight problem but doctor was not alarmed just thought it may be due to anxiety or possibly from medication, Elavil. However, I am not taking the elavil, I just fill the prescription for "disability purposes", because I have to appear compliant with my doctor's orders for disability pay. But the truth is I take no Meds, and I know it is due to WDs, but my doctors do not believe any of my sxs are due to WDs.

I am just so afraid why have these palps increased so much now after 8 months, they were not even present during acute. Everything seems to be getting worse for me now, no improvements, but these heart palps are really scary combined that with the pain, I can't take too much more. I am scheduled for another EKG w/i a week.

Any advice?

Thanks, cindy

cindys....you made it through the night!  Great...I managed also...feel like you know what.  Sick of putting up with this stuff is so very hard.

Anyhow, the palps or pvc's as their called are harmless.  Annoying as hell though.  Been through them for years. Learned so much about them from cardiologists and reading.  Still worth having them checked though.  I can pretty much guarantee that they are stress related and will not hurt you, physically.  Mentally, you have to just accept them...not easy, I know.  Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cindys

About two months ago,I also started getting them .

Knowing I had a good stress and Echo tests,helped in accepting the weird feeling.yes like above poster,I researched on this and they are harmless.in my case they don't get worse when I do my stationary bike,for 4 miles every other day.I have read that,that is a good sign.

I found on this forum some BB,who have had help,in easing off of palps with potassium gluconate. It has helped my situation quite a bit.But it could also be that I may be getting outa this phase of sxs.

As one sxs eases ,another is coming on.Bladder discomfort with some UTI symptoms.This sxs also is mentioned on our forum.

Hope this helps.

May you have bearable sxs and a fast recovery !

Shalom,

aj

<><

Hi all,

I jumped 12/17 from Ativan, and i am now in the process of weaning off gabapentin.  Since the jump i get heart palps.  Especially after eating, and when i lie down.  Also when i have to speak in front of a group.

What can i do about this?  Anything lol?

Hey All, I am 8.5 months CT from ambien. I have been suffering very harsh WDs (neuropathic pain, intense body burning, tinntitus, insomnia, back pain, anxiety, panic, crying). But for the past 10 days, heart palps have been really bad. I notice them the most when I lay down, my heart is pounding, jumping, fluttering. A few weeks ago, I had an EKG, and showed slight problem but doctor was not alarmed just thought it may be due to anxiety or possibly from medication, Elavil. However, I am not taking the elavil, I just fill the prescription for "disability purposes", because I have to appear compliant with my doctor's orders for disability pay. But the truth is I take no Meds, and I know it is due to WDs, but my doctors do not believe any of my sxs are due to WDs.

I am just so afraid why have these palps increased so much now after 8 months, they were not even present during acute. Everything seems to be getting worse for me now, no improvements, but these heart palps are really scary combined that with the pain, I can't take too much more. I am scheduled for another EKG w/i a week.

Any advice?

Thanks, cindy

I too didn't really get this symptom until I jumped.  I also had a change in my ekg.  An inverted T wave which they are not aloarmed about but want me to do a stress test as a precaution.  I had one in Feb and everything was fine.  I freaked out when they told me there was a change.  They said odds are it's nothing but they have to be thorough.  The worst is that I can't even schedule my test until the new year.    :-[

I have read that withdrawal and recovery can effect an ekg.

Hi all. I have been having heart palpitations on and off for about 6 months...I have a thyroid issue and it stems from that...anyway since tapering, there are days the heart palps and adrenaline rushes are really THERE...I do take a beta blocker low dose 50 mg that has helped somewhat but I do NOT want to increase the dose. Has anyone taken magnesium...just plain old magnesium with any success...I have some and was wondering if I should try it? Or is there a magnesium anyone prefers? So leery of taking anything. Eek.

Thanks for any suggestions.

renacido, thanks for your reply. I seem to follow the same pattern you do, 1 sxs lessens and another sxs worsens. I also had numerous UTIs, and blood in my urine during tolerance WD and WD. Tonight my T is really bad.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I will be 13 months tomorrow... I also have the palps and once they hit so does my anxiety... its getting old for sure. I stay away from msg. It stays away for months t gem out of the blue it can hit me..  Sent

Hey everyone,

im trying desperately to get off xanax. I have benign heart palpitations  (pvcs) and they terrify me to no end!! Im having such a hard time, while attempting  to taper off xanax pvcs increase and i dont know how to deal with it besides taking xanax, which doesnt entirely take them away it just changes my reaction to them. Im so scared and starting to get depressed. Palps are the main reason why i got on xanax now they seem to be worse while attempting to taper...any advice?

Hey everyone,

im trying desperately to get off xanax. I have benign heart palpitations  (pvcs) and they terrify me to no end!! Im having such a hard time, while attempting  to taper off xanax pvcs increase and i dont know how to deal with it besides taking xanax, which doesnt entirely take them away it just changes my reaction to them. Im so scared and starting to get depressed. Palps are the main reason why i got on xanax now they seem to be worse while attempting to taper...any advice?

Starfish,

I'm not experience ing them now but I have had some episodes earlier in my taper.

I found that when I sat in fear of them and sort of waited and listened in watching for them all the time, sure enough they would start. When I practiced distraction and meditation and stopped worrying about them they subsided.

I know we are all different but it is amazing to me still that we can create these things unwittingly just by focusing on them.

Once I held my breath as long as I could and it stopped them,. But the real help came from Meditation and distraction.

Hope your able to overcome this soon.

Stay calm and try to ignore them as best you can.

:thumbsup:

ATU

Hi everyone...I had heart palps in months 2-3 after I jumped. Well they are back. The good news. I'm in my 8th month off and they just reappeared...bad news is that they even came back!  :tickedoff:

My cardio doc said its the anxiety and the receptors...my heart is in great shape, its just the stupid w/d, GABA receptors and all that together=madness!

You will make it, I gotta keep telling myself the same.  :smitten:

I'm 13 months off this is about my last thing to go... I'm still battling them.. to much msg or salt or overeating kills me... ahhhh if they would go I'd be at least 90 percent healed.

I'm 13 months off this is about my last thing to go... I'm still battling them.. to much msg or salt or overeating kills me... ahhhh if they would go I'd be at least 90 percent healed.

They are scary at times and annoying mostly...praying this sxs leaves you soon!

Hey everyone,

Hi Starfish. Sorry you're going through this. I've had these every day for about a year now. Most days I have 100s of them. I know they are scary, but you will eventually get somewhat used to them, and they will be just an annoyance. I don't have any words of wisdom about how to deal with them or get rid of them, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. There's also many other folks on this forum dealing with this issue. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks wondernova, they are terrible, i keep associating them with heart attack :( ive had a full cardio workup and no one is concerned but me. I dont get 100s of them. Im so sorry u do.  I wouldn't even know how to deal with that. I hope that i do eventually just accept them as an annoyance.  Thanks for the kind words. Do you ever get them every few beats for an hr or so? I get that sometimes and it makes me fully panic. Thats why im so.scared to get off the xanax :( feeling hopeless at this point

Hi Starfish. I do get them every few beats for about 2-8 hrs some days. There's actually people on this forum who have had them worse than me too, and they went away. I've had no evidence mine are going away so I'm settled in for the long haul. The good news is in time you will eventually not be as afraid of them. I've always found the following link very helpful. Read it as many times as it takes to give you relief.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/palpitations

Thanks wondernova! That article is a Godsend! It really did bring me so much relief. The palps are the only reason im scared to get off xanax, not that im downplaying the other sx by any means, i know they are hellish. Being that ive been on xanax about 9 1/2 weeks ( this time)  i hope there is still a chance wd wont be so bad?

Hi Drew.

My resting heart rate bounces back and forth between 65-80...I KNOW that when I think about it or have a smidge of anxiety (stupid benzo induced I am sure) and I snowball things...my heart rate jumps up and I get heart flutters. Now I do think part has to do with withdrawal but it's definitely worse when I think on it. I try to manage it with deep breathing (which helps anxiety anyway)...I also backed away from obsessively taking it. LOL.

I also take a magnesium citrate supplement 250 mg every other day that seems to help...especially with the flutters.

I did post on here about magnesium earlier...does anyone take a supplement?? Any one they prefer?

Anyway Drew...that's what I've got for you...I would try not to think on it too much because I find I my case...that makes it worse...as hard as it is for our brains not to snowball things!!!

Moose.

Drew, the past few months I've been in the 80s also. This is a big improvement, from the 90s-100s I had the couple months before jumping. My pre-benzos resting heartrate was 60s - and it will return to that again, and soon :) For both of us :)

Can you beta block for the test? Might be worth asking your cardiologist :)

How'd the stress test go?

Mrs. :smitten:

Yeah...I'm going to beta block for the test. I did something silly today though.... I drank a a tall Starbucks coffee  and then took my beta blocker to see if I drop below 80(forgot I had coffe).  It didn't work. My heart rate has been staying in the high 80-90s on and off for a bit. I'm going to cut down to 1/2 cup of coffee starting tomorrow. 

Mrs...I'm not happy that it's happening to you but it's reassuring to read others having this symptom.  It's also that loop of thinking about it makes it worse.  Luckily, I now know my heart is really healthy(I'm assuming they would have stopped echo stress if something bad was happening) so I'm going to have to accept it and move on. 

The other thing that I'm finding a bit hard is to break my thought pattern of a pain equals I'm having heart problems.  It's been one of my biggest fears.  Now I know I'm not keeling over any time soon(knock on wood) so I have to change my fear response to it. 

I'm off for a walk and unfortunately I'm back posting here.  :crazy: