Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

I have had these palps most of my adult life.  I am 58 and find they occur at random and recently when my heart rate picks up while exercising.  THey are annoying to say the least...however, I know they are HARMLESS.    If you remember that you can reduce your anxiety tremendously.  Acceptance is key here.  Do not let these things drive you crazy...certainly not to using benzos.  They are normal in most people.  I would still like to hear if there are those out there that have these while exercising and to less extent at other times.  When they were at the worst I was getting them at a rate of 6 per minute.  That equates to thousands a day. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had these palps most of my adult life.  I am 58 and find they occur at random and recently when my heart rate picks up while exercising.  THey are annoying to say the least...however, I know they are HARMLESS.    If you remember that you can reduce your anxiety tremendously.  Acceptance is key here.  Do not let these things drive you crazy...certainly not to using benzos.  They are normal in most people.  I would still like to hear if there are those out there that have these while exercising and to less extent at other times.  When they were at the worst I was getting them at a rate of 6 per minute.  That equates to thousands a day.

always got them during exercise here

limited what i could do

at their worst i got them every other or every third beat, for hours, in cycles of days

Would anyone know if they are more noticeable during tapering off benzos,  im at .125mg from 5 mg and I seem to be having them randomly throughout the day and after I eat. Feels like a drop in my stomach.  Ive had a full cardio workup and dr and electrophysiologist say im healthy and not to worry. Im just having a hard time accepting them. I.definitely dont react to them the way I used to. They just SUCK! hopefully they will diminish over time.

mentor...The last 6 months I get them any time I exercise. No other symptoms other than the annoying heart beats so I keep on going and get in  a full 30 minute workout on the treadmill.  I vowed to not let them stop me from doing exercise.  They are harmless...so I am told!

mentor...The last 6 months I get them any time I exercise. No other symptoms other than the annoying heart beats so I keep on going and get in  a full 30 minute workout on the treadmill.  I vowed to not let them stop me from doing exercise.  They are harmless...so I am told!

they are benign not harmless as i understand it

i was told no to push myself through them, bad idea, muscle memory and when it occurs often enough it does require intervention

Not sure what you mean by muscle memory and also benign and not harmless.  If something is benign I understand that it will not cause you any problems.  Just curious what kind of intervention you mean.  Like I said, in my situation they are continuous during exercise and I was told by my cardiologist to ignore them the best you can and continue to exercise.  The best thing for me he said.

I was told the same thing by my electrophysiologist.  He said mine are bengin and to go ahead and exercise right through them. I wish I was brave enough to start exercising, im not there yet, hopefully soon  ::)

Not sure what you mean by muscle memory and also benign and not harmless.  If something is benign I understand that it will not cause you any problems.  Just curious what kind of intervention you mean.  Like I said, in my situation they are continuous during exercise and I was told by my cardiologist to ignore them the best you can and continue to exercise.  The best thing for me he said.

frequent premature contractions can lead to chaotic, dangerous heart rhythms which is why it is suggested that you don't tough them out

the heart is rhythmic and you don't want to train your heart to beat out of rhythm by encouraging abnormal contractions

like anything else, it's a matter of degree

if you get a handful while exercising it's likely better to continue to exercise as the benefits of the exercise is far greater than the odds of having a complication

on the other hand, having 20 skipped beats a minute is best not encouraged as the risks of a possible complication rises with the frequency

i hope this helps

Thanks mentor.....With me I find that the shift from having pvc's while at rest to recently having them during exercise is of some concern.  In my research on the web I find that if the heart is structurally sound and free from cardiac disease you really shouldn't have any concerns.  Having a stress test along with and echo should rule out potentially serious conditions that would warrant one to stop exercising while these palpitations are occurring.  I find that when my heart rate is above 120 bpm minute I start to experience frequent skips. They go away when I am done exercising.  No other symptoms.  Hopefully, I am not putting myself at risk.  I certainly feel better after a good workout.

frequent premature contractions can lead to chaotic, dangerous heart rhythms which is why it is suggested that you don't tough them out

the heart is rhythmic and you don't want to train your heart to beat out of rhythm by encouraging abnormal contractions

if you get a handful while exercising it's likely better to continue to exercise as the benefits of the exercise is far greater than the odds of having a complication

on the other hand, having 20 skipped beats a minute is best not encouraged as the risks of a possible complication rises with the frequency

i hope this helps

Based on what scientific evidence? I have seen two heart doctors who both to me told me to exercise through the premature beats. I was having a premature beat every other beat for about 5 or 6 months. Exercise was the only thing that seemed to finally make it stop.

Weev...Yours sound a bit different than mine...as mine would start up once my heart rate was elevated.  No other symptoms so I just kept on going with no problem.  Just don't want to quit exercising as I know it's good for me both mentally and physically.  I gather your cardiologist did all the testing to be sure your pvc's were of the harmless type?

So for me I do not have any skipped beats or PVCs I am fine when I am working out it is after my heart rate wont go down after the fact it stays about 96 for a couple hours after. Must be the adrenaline and cortisol??? IT sucks!! Anyone else get that? High heart rate after w workout that wont go down?

HAPPY ME

i hope this helps

Based on what scientific evidence? I have seen two heart doctors who both to me told me to exercise through the premature beats. I was having a premature beat every other beat for about 5 or 6 months. Exercise was the only thing that seemed to finally make it stop.

then double up your workouts

every other beat and the doctors left you alone and said exercise through it

remarkable

check out the framingham study and tell your doctors too also

btw, i could care less, i was just offering my understanding

i am glad you have all the ansewers

Thanks mentor.....With me I find that the shift from having pvc's while at rest to recently having them during exercise is of some concern.  In my research on the web I find that if the heart is structurally sound and free from cardiac disease you really shouldn't have any concerns.  Having a stress test along with and echo should rule out potentially serious conditions that would warrant one to stop exercising while these palpitations are occurring.  I find that when my heart rate is above 120 bpm minute I start to experience frequent skips. They go away when I am done exercising.  No other symptoms.  Hopefully, I am not putting myself at risk.  I certainly feel better after a good workout.

you sound like you have it well understood to take best care of yourself

this stuff got very serious eventually for me

the tachycardia and hypertension being the biggest problems but it all went togeather

i hope this helps

then double up your workouts

every other beat and the doctors left you alone and said exercise through it

remarkable

check out the framingham study and tell your doctors too also

btw, i could care less, i was just offering my understanding

i am glad you have all the ansewers

Yes, remarkable.

It's more like desperate and out of options, money etc and trying anything and everything I could think of to stop the premature beats. Both cardiologists tested my heart and said that it was not a risk factor. I figured what the hell, never known exercise to hurt anyone so I went for it, and it worked. Will it work for anyone else? I don't know, but based on my experience it's worth a try.

Well two months have gone by and then last night after an hour of sleep BAM! I am awakened by a sudden pounding heart. Really makes me feel weird but I didn't go into a vasovagal response. I try my best to stay calm but it does scare me so I woke my husband for company during it. I placed his hand over my heart so he could feel it pounding away, if for nothing less then if I am to go then he can tell the Dr's exactly what was happening when I died.

Last month I wore an event monitor (again and have done this at 3 different intervals over this past year) last month showed only one of these night time heart palpitations (but atleast my Cardio Dr could see it) and he said my heart reached 128 beats, now this wasn't what I considered a powerful heart palpitations but still can you imagine how bizarre it feels to be a sleep and go from 70 beats to 128 in a few seconds? Its crazy!

My Cardio Dr said that I occasionally add an extra beat and my heart speeds up and he can't do anything for it because the rhythm is normal. He doesn't know why it only does this at night.

SO I went to a Neuro Dr and he had me do a sleep study and at this point it was completed last fri and I didn't have any extreme palpitations or maybe even any but they have watched my brain waves and breathing and I'm waiting for my next appt. to see what the results are from it.

I would just be so happy it they just went away. I've read that peri menopausal symptoms can often trigger heart palpitations maybe its that, as I am 46

Ann

That's the same thingy heart does! Asleep and awaken to a half panick attack. I am able to nibble a atenolol and go back to sleep these days only of it goes over 100 which it has done before. It's just miserable is be almost healed if this would just go away forever!!

Hey guys doesn't anyone find that when standing their heart rate will go quite high like up to 130 and make them dizzy and light headed. This makes getting around a lot tough.

Then when they sit down or lie down it drops too low for a sec or two.

This week my most daunting sxs:

Heightened anxiety

Heart palps  :'(

Some twitches

Facial sensations

But then I realized that my cycle ended just yeterday so hormones+benzo W/D=crap

But...I am moving along the best way I can. Through prayer, staying busy as I can and knowing that this is all temporary.  :smitten:

LovingMother:

This was you a month ago.  This is me today. 

DA

Hey folks. I had a new kind of episode early this AM and wondered if anyone has had the same thing, or advice please.

So I woke up with a fast, but really weak heart beat. It was 160 bpm. I did not feel any anxiety or adrenaline at all. I got up and sat in a chair and waited. Then my hands started to feel tingly so I decided I should call 911. While I was on the phone with 911 I started to have tons of early beats. (I've been getting those every day for 6 months). Then, before the medics arrived It went to a normal beat in the blink of an eye. No gradual decrease. It just snapped into normal rhythm. Then after talking with the medics I got some panic symptoms.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Thanks.

Btw, I'm just over 2 months out from jumping.

This week my most daunting sxs:

Heightened anxiety

Heart palps  :'(

Some twitches

Facial sensations

But then I realized that my cycle ended just yeterday so hormones+benzo W/D=crap

But...I am moving along the best way I can. Through prayer, staying busy as I can and knowing that this is all temporary.  :smitten:

LovingMother:

This was you a month ago.  This is me today. 

DA

Sad part is I am still there...this all needs to stop. But again...my period comes next week! Sigh...

Hey folks. I had a new kind of episode early this AM and wondered if anyone has had the same thing, or advice please.

So I woke up with a fast, but really weak heart beat. It was 160 bpm. I did not feel any anxiety or adrenaline at all. I got up and sat in a chair and waited. Then my hands started to feel tingly so I decided I should call 911. While I was on the phone with 911 I started to have tons of early beats. (I've been getting those every day for 6 months). Then, before the medics arrived It went to a normal beat in the blink of an eye. No gradual decrease. It just snapped into normal rhythm. Then after talking with the medics I got some panic symptoms.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Thanks.

Btw, I'm just over 2 months out from jumping.

I say all my heart stuff is all wd!!! While mine get less and less and now I can't feel every beat like I did for a year, for that I'm greatful.y heart rate would shoot from 60s to 150 after eating msg. I understanmd it's normal during wd per my heart dr. Over time it should stop of this was not a pre existing condition. I stay away from any form of msg. It might happen anyhow I was the same way months 1-6 now of I job my heart rate stays up for four hours. 90s or so in time it will go away. Eat lean and drink lots of water. I also have some atenenol on hand for any issues over 100bpm Peru dr.

Ha

Thanks for the reply Happy. I'm glad you're getting some relief!

The last 48 hrs my palps have increased to about 1 per minute on average. This came out of the blue. They had been steady at about 15-20 of them per day for a few months. Then wham! This is particularly frustrating since my anxiety had been way down since jumping. Has anybody else had this happen, where they are getting better and then randomly get severe?

Well I have 6 or so per minute.  Don't like them but they are harmless.  Try not to let them bother you.  Have you had your heart checked out?  If test are normal you have nothing to worry about.