Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

After 3 months of controllable. palps ( no beta blocker needed for 10 weeks). Yesterday at Wei one into the sixth month I got hit big with them.  They ( or the anxiety that they cause) make me weak and hypoglycemic feeling with moderate b/p spikes. Yesterday this anxiety was cascading, I would recover somewhat from one attack and get hit with another. I was completely tired and was in bed most of the day. I would doze off to be jolted awake by panic and a sense of falling or having all my energy just leaving. I had dome bouts of dizziness and motion sickness ( like the bed is moving). Some of these s/x are exactly like Meniers ( ear condition) that I was prescribed ativan for in the first place. I have been free of Meniers ..or only experiencing mild bouts for t least the last 4-5 months. I did take some drammamine that helped the motion and nausea.

......Does awnyone else get that weak hypoglycemic feeling with their palps?....This is completely discouraging s I had just HD some days of very nice windows....thanks for aqny replies...coop

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Coop the same thing just happened to me I thought I escaped them also have been doing good well with that sxs only been having nasty head pains I hate this one sxs the most it by far the worst one for me

YOU know that if you need to COOP, you can NIBBLE the pills if the heart rate takes off??? I did this before because I cannot take them DAILY!! They make me so I Cannot be without anxiety!!!

Hi Happy....thank you so much for the reply. Yes, that is practically what I do. When I get a bout of palps I take 6 mg. I cut the 25mg tablet into fourths.  I take it in the morning for a few days until the palps behave themselves. It drops my b/p down to 90/60..( my b/p is normally about 115/70....unless I am having tough anxiety or panic). It helps the palps alot. .... do you take less than 1/4 of 25 mg tablet? ....If I could take less than 1/4 I would. ...the depression.sets in by the end of the second day and can last an additional 2-3 days...Do you take atenolol ( that's what I take) or propandolol?......thanks again Happy....how are things going for you?....Hope you are feeling healing and getting some windows.....coop

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but does no one else have a fast resting heartrate? I saw a few people doing exercise, but I am unable to barely even go down the stairs. In the morning on waking, just lying there, my heartrate is about 140bpm.

I'm having a 24 hour monitor fitted next week because not only do I have this fast rate I also have a sort of 'twitch' or 'flutter' every five minutes.

I'm really scared and could do with some reassurance  :'( I tried beta blockers before and had to stop them because they made me feel so ill so I'm not sure what the doctors will do if they don't like the look of the 24 hour monitor results.

Hi Aurora - I am so sorry you are going through this. I know it is scary. I went to the ER when my heart rate was at 150, which was as scary as anything to me and made me feel like I was passing out. That is why they gave me the Ativan, actually.

But, if it makes you feel better, after numerous appointments and tests with cardiologists - and wearing a 30 day monitor with numerous 'incidents' reported....nothing at all wrong with my heart. Nothing.

We are still thinking that I have some adrenal issues to address that could have jacked with my blood sugar/heart rate/blood pressure. But I am like you - not able to really excercise yet or go upstairs. At this point I am just working on resting and eating right and waiting for withdrawal to be OVER.

The cardiologist did say that even at 150 per minute, I was in the normal range. He said the important thing is that it comes down and that many things can cause that high heart rate. I hope they get yours figured out and that everything is perfectly okay (other than the fact that you are in w/d :-().

So I have a nagging question regarding my heart issues and w/d...

My whole deal started with a drop in blood pressure or hypoglycemic (we don't really know) incident that made me almost pass out. Then I started having tachycardia with extreme weakness and EXTREME thirst. This went on for four days before I ended up in the ER and on Ativan  :-X.

At some point once I was on Ativan, the tachycardia stopped (about 1 -2 weeks later) but that is when the really scary stuff started as I think I was going through tolerance/withdrawal. I was taking the Ativan 'as needed' but the 'need' was at first tachycardia and the feeling I was passing out....later I just felt like I was totally passing out and out of control of my body, pins and needles, intense fear, panic, doom, etc. So my questions are:

Can tachycardia/weakness/severe shortness of breath/ intense thirst (my original symptoms) go together and follow a sudden drop in blood pressure? Or hypoglycemia?

Am I right (probably) in guessing that after the tachycardia stopped, I was in acute withdrawal? It was the absolute scariest experience of my life so I would love to think that it had to do with the meds messing with my head. It felt like my soul was being snatched from my body and I had no way to retrieve it. I was terrified. I am normally a pretty calm person so this continues to worry me.

Cardiologists did everything but the tilt and stress test (eccho, 30 day monitor, etc...) and say my heart is ok. Spit test says I have adrenal problems but I was 'on' Ativan at the time, so who knows?

Anyway, I know you aren't docs but if I could set my heart  ;) at ease about the original incident I would feel better. Probably hypochondria (thanks Ativan) but I would like to know that the original problem won't be back once withdrawal is done.

Healing, you describe exactly what my s/x were during taper and acute. In fact I used practically the same phrase, " I feel like my spirit is draining right out of my body ". I don't know, but I think for me they were a form of panic...I thought I was dying every time.For some reason eating some peanut butter and drinking some orange juice helped me recover from them. I totally understand how terrifying they are. I also jumped from ativan....at 7 months off I don't get them very often anymore and when I do I vet through them and recover from them easier. They will let up Healing....I wish....

I had some better advice...they were my most hated s/x.  Very sorry you are experiencing this..  It will get easier...eat every few hours with protein and fluids. I don't think it will prevent them but, it will make it easier for you to come back from them......hold on Hope, you will get through this.    coop

Hi Aurora - I am so sorry you are going through this. I know it is scary. I went to the ER when my heart rate was at 150, which was as scary as anything to me and made me feel like I was passing out. That is why they gave me the Ativan, actually.

But, if it makes you feel better, after numerous appointments and tests with cardiologists - and wearing a 30 day monitor with numerous 'incidents' reported....nothing at all wrong with my heart. Nothing.

We are still thinking that I have some adrenal issues to address that could have jacked with my blood sugar/heart rate/blood pressure. But I am like you - not able to really excercise yet or go upstairs. At this point I am just working on resting and eating right and waiting for withdrawal to be OVER.

The cardiologist did say that even at 150 per minute, I was in the normal range. He said the important thing is that it comes down and that many things can cause that high heart rate. I hope they get yours figured out and that everything is perfectly okay (other than the fact that you are in w/d :-().

Thankyou so much that's eased my anxiety about it a lot. I was put on benzos for tachycardia in the first place too! Depressingly ironic isn't it ;)

It seems as though there are many of us experiencing heart palpitations. Is there anyone out there knowledgeable

Yes, what would you like to know?

Hi all

My main annoying symptom is heart palps.

I know you all know how annoying it is. And how it doesn't even need to be associated with mental anxiety.

So beta blockers: pros and cons?

I've heard they are depressing and addictive.

Are they worth it when those palps are sitting there as an irritating exhausting symptom?

Thanks dear ones

Hi Happy....thank you so much for the reply. Yes, that is practically what I do. When I get a bout of palps I take 6 mg. I cut the 25mg tablet into fourths. 

What doctor advised this?

Hi all

My main annoying symptom is heart palps.

I know you all know how annoying it is. And how it doesn't even need to be associated with mental anxiety.

So beta blockers: pros and cons?

I've heard they are depressing and addictive.

Are they worth it when those palps are sitting there as an irritating exhausting symptom?

Thanks dear ones

If they are merely annoying, no need to get entwined with a beta blocker.

I curse the day I started with them.

If you are being rushed to the hospital to be converted then they are worth it.

Hi Happy....thank you so much for the reply. Yes, that is practically what I do. When I get a bout of palps I take 6 mg. I cut the 25mg tablet into fourths. 

Yes and it does work! I cannot take them regularly!!

What's ok for one is not right for all!

What kind of doctor advised this and what kind of beta blocker?

Thanks

Benzo-related heart palpitations are an annoying symptom that I know all too well.  The heart is irked that the body's systems are being tinkered with.  It doesn't like change or stressful events.  Benzo withdrawal certainly qualifies.  Every time we worry after getting one, a few, or even a wave of them, it just perpetuates them to occur more frequently.  It is adrenaline that revs them up.  From what I've gathered from reliable sources, trying to move beyond them requires accepting that in most cases they are benign.  If they didn't exist for you before taking benzos (as with me), then they are likely benzo withdrawal-related.  Once the acceptance sinks in, they can simply be disregarded as harmless, though they are startling when they occur.  For me they have come less frequently over time and mostly after cuts.  Avoid the food and anxiety triggers if possible.  I'm not very good at this.  In most cases, heart palps will diminish over time as the adrenaline spikes subside from worry and other triggers to a point that they just go away on their own.  It may take months or even well beyond, but they usually do.

I still get them from time to time, including when I try to exercise beyond just brisk walking.  I freak out at times, but keep remembering that I had my heart checked in many different ways and NOTHING ever came up.  My heart is in tremendous shape.

In most cases, structural heart damage is unlikely, but benzo withdrawal makes us naturally paranoid.

Best wishes to all.

Bjames,

A very good posting on the heart palps and I just want to second what you said about acceptance and not fretting about it when it happens.

As Dr. Claire Weekes said with so many of our SXS it is that second fear we put on ourselves after getting this SX or any other that adds to the stress and perpetuates the sensations.

If we work hard at it we can stop the second fear, the fear of how we are feeling. Once we do that many of these SXS tend to diminish and we gain back our self confidence.

This is very doable, though it requires utter acceptance.  :thumbsup:

ATU

I just had a 24 hour heart monitor (I have palps every other minute and racing heart/rarely goes below 130) and I get the results back next week, I'll let you guys know how it's gone, wish me luck! I'm scared.

Benzo-related heart palpitations are an annoying symptom that I know all too well.  The heart is irked that the body's systems are being tinkered with.  It doesn't like change or stressful events.  Benzo withdrawal certainly qualifies.  Every time we worry after getting one, a few, or even a wave of them, it just perpetuates them to occur more frequently.  It is adrenaline that revs them up.  From what I've gathered from reliable sources, trying to move beyond them requires accepting that in most cases they are benign.  If they didn't exist for you before taking benzos (as with me), then they are likely benzo withdrawal-related.  Once the acceptance sinks in, they can simply be disregarded as harmless, though they are startling when they occur.  For me they have come less frequently over time and mostly after cuts.  Avoid the food and anxiety triggers if possible.  I'm not very good at this.  In most cases, heart palps will diminish over time as the adrenaline spikes subside from worry and other triggers to a point that they just go away on their own.  It may take months or even well beyond, but they usually do.

I still get them from time to time, including when I try to exercise beyond just brisk walking.  I freak out at times, but keep remembering that I had my heart checked in many different ways and NOTHING ever came up.  My heart is in tremendous shape.

In most cases, structural heart damage is unlikely, but benzo withdrawal makes us naturally paranoid.

Best wishes to all.

This is true but continuous heart palps that go on for a day or more just become annoying.

They are hard to ignore. I don't stress about them but it is hard to not eventually feel stressed from them if you know what I mean. It takes a long time of them but still.. IRRITATING!

I'll bet.  When the continuous heart palps occur, the best bet is to try to calm and relax yourself as much as possible.  Occasional use of a beta blocker is not unusual for such cases, though personally, I've never resorted to trying one though I have them readily at hand if needed.  I would have the worst waves of them several months ago, but they have diminished a lot since then.  They still pop up (like yesterday), but I just do my best to move on.  It's hard, I know!

Hey folks. I'm a fellow sufferer of the dreaded palps, and I'm sorry you all are going through this too. I believe I'm getting the PAC/PVC variety daily for the past few months. This is hell. I'm not even off the poison yet and it's really unbarable. I don't even know how anyone can help, because I'm sure you've all been told the same thing I have by your DR. "Relax and don't drink coffee." I'm off coffee and it's made no difference. I guess I need to know that this will get better. Does anyone have experience with these going away? I feel like I'm permanently damaged. Sorry I'm so negative right now.

-Nova

• 2 weeks later...

Palps and coffee....I have bee. relatively. palp free for a few months after some scary bouts with them.  Last week I started introducing decaffeinated with a touch of my favorite leaded blend ( sumatran)...and I mean a skimpy touch..about a tablespoon. ..No real problem and thought I was home free. We had clouds rain and wind this afternoon....the espresso machine was screaming. my name from the counter. At almost 8 .months off I decided to be impulsive and had a decaf. with 2. tablespoons of leaded sumantran...latte....soooo good...Big Mistake...I had that latte at noon...by 3 my palps were back ..the kind that you can feel with every beat....and all the anxiety that comes with palps that dont go away...so I was in that impossible loop....palps...anxiety...more palps.....more anxiety....palps ...It is now 10pm and the anxiety and palps are just now easing. ...No more coffee...decaf or not....and definitely not in the afternoon. 

.....Has anyone been able to drink at least decaf at some point? ...I crave it desperately...I got kind of used to the Teccinno ( herbal coffee...good but not close to coffee). ...

...thanks for any replies.....coop

I am sorry, Coop. I know how you miss your coffee! Could you go back to the decaf with less regular if you had no problems with that? I have resorted to dandelion root tea. It's not really the same, but it is dark and a little bitter and if I pretend hard enough I can make it work. I hope you are feeling better today!!

I have had bad heart palps right nut after walking the dogs my resting rate is 85 should be 65. As tines goes they do do get better! This and anxiety are my worst symptom. My endocrinoligist prescribed my beta blocker as I am also on a high dose of synthroid to suppress cancer! I use only when needed. I'm not half as far along as I thought I'd be at this point!