Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

I would recommend you continue to keep it mixed well while you are measuring your dose. You have to remember that this is a suspension. It's not dissolved in the milk, so caution needs to be used to make sure you are getting as even a dose as possible.

You might not need to do all this mixing, but why not? I'd rather be over-cautious about benzos rather than not, because I know how nasty they are.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend you continue to keep it mixed well while you are measuring your dose. You have to remember that this is a suspension. It's not dissolved in the milk, so caution needs to be used to make sure you are getting as even a dose as possible.

You might not need to do all this mixing, but why not? I'd rather be over-cautious about benzos rather than not, because I know how nasty they are.

Oh so it's just suspended across the top of the Milk until you mix it?

So once you mix it well, are we just hoping it's now mixed evenly? Obviously it's impossible to know.

Because you can't see it, I choose to keep mixing it well while I was measuring my dose because I wanted to be certain it was evenly distributed. I would also fill up the syringe and plunge it back into the mixture a couple of times just to be certain. OCD maybe, but I knew the consequences of not being a bit OCD...lol...

Oh so it's just suspended across the top of the Milk until you mix it?

So once you mix it well, are we just hoping it's now mixed evenly? Obviously it's impossible to know.

No, a "suspension" means its distributed IN the liquid.  It may be uniformly distributed, but it CAN settle out.  The swishing may not be necessary, but its probably a wise precaution.

I honestly can't answer your question, but is there a problem with mixing it anyway? It's a precaution and we all need to take as many precautions as possible when we are tapering a benzo.

No there's no problem other than it getting on lid and on the sides of the jar making your dose a bit more questionable.  Even if you do put water in it after and shake it and drink it.

There probably isn't that much of a risk of getting it over the sides, or especially on the lid. You just need to "swish" it backwards and forwards, not shake it vigorously.

Just wanted to let others know I think I found the solution to not allowing the numbers on your syringe to wear off. Keep the syringe in the fridge.

A piece of clear sticky taper put over the numbers works really well too. Syringes only have a limited life anyway. They are really only meant for single use, but of course we use them a lot longer. I found that the rubber on the plunger would eventually wear out and it would make pulling and pushing on the plunger a lot harder, or the rubber would just come off totally. I think mine used to last for maybe a month of daily use. :)

Just wanted to let others know I think I found the solution to not allowing the numbers on your syringe to wear off. Keep the syringe in the fridge.

When I started planning  my liquid-based daily taper, I bought 100 1ml syringes, 25 10ml syringes, and 5 60ml syringes.

At the beginning of the taper, I put a piece of tape on a 1ml, 10ml, and 60ml syringe.

I was able to use the same 3 syringes for the entire 2 years of my taper.  I still have 99 1ml, 24 10ml, and 4 60ml syringes still sealed in their original packages.

I was using pharma-grade liquid V.  I suspect a milk-based taper would require more rigorous cleaning, and would give a much shorter lifespan.

(I've still got a LOT of diazepam leftover, also)

Hi if I do a daily liquid taper and say I do 1mg over 30 days . If I notice I'm struggling do you just hold at the ml you are at ,say you get to ie 96 ml do you just hold at that for a while . Thanks

Yes, hold whenever necessary.  NEVER push through symptoms!  But if you are on the right cut the need to hold is not frequent.  People can go for months without a single hold day.  If you need to hold often that is a sign that your cut is too big and needs to be reduced.

Hi Diaz-Pam.

I don't think we have spoke so ill introduce myself.

My names Small and ive be on valium for about 15+ years and been tapering around a year doing a cut and hold.

I will be getting lower in dosage soon and would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Currently I am reducing .5 every month, Would this be a reasonable amount to daily taper?

Also would 5 mill in a year be possible?

Thanks in advance and I will be back with more questions as I get lower on my dose.

Small. :)

Hi Small

Yes 0.5mg per month would be quite a reasonable amount to cut per month at your dose. That would work out to be roughly 0.015mg per day or 1.5ml of a 100ml liquid mixture.

Ironically though you might find that if you start doing a daily taper you might be able to reduce a little bit quicker than 0.5mg per month. You would have to experiment of course, but because you are only making tiny cuts every day the body can often cope with them a lot better than having to take the hit of a larger cut and then having to recover.

I couldn't say if you could actually cut 5mg over a year. I couldn't, but everyone is different of course. It took me 22 months to taper down from 5mg.

Hi Diaz-Pam.

My names Small and ive be on valium for about 15+ years and been tapering around a year doing a cut and hold.

I will be getting lower in dosage soon and would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Currently I am reducing .5 every month, Would this be a reasonable amount to daily taper?

Thanks in advance and I will be back with more questions as I get lower on my dose.

There are hard cases that need to go slow, but, sure, at your dose (it looks from your sig that you are near 7.5mg V?) .5mg a month is very reasonable to expect.  In fact, twice that would be reasonable.  And again, generally speaking I'd expect you could finish within a year.

Hi Diaz  Pam

Please could you give me your advice .stuck at 4mg per day , have been for 6 weeks .my last cut was 0.5mg . I think I may have hit tolerance . Still suffer in morning with headaches , depression not good , get the chills ect . I have been debating whether to do another . 0.5mg cut or go over to milk taper . Not sure whether to do the 1mg cut over a longer period . We understand how to do that one , or to do a 0.5mg liquid cut but we don't know how to do that one in liquid . Could you poss advise and if you could do me a table of how to do the smaller cut . My anxiety is awful too , I was on them for that in first place . Hoping it the withdrawal , your advice is appreciated thank you

Sorry me again , also confused on other posts that say put 2mg in 20ml of milk so was wondering why a 1mg goes in 100ml .would have thought 2mg goes in 200ml  ? Confused thanks

Hi Small

Yes 0.5mg per month would be quite a reasonable amount to cut per month at your dose. That would work out to be roughly 0.015mg per day or 1.5ml of a 100ml liquid mixture.

Ironically though you might find that if you start doing a daily taper you might be able to reduce a little bit quicker than 0.5mg per month. You would have to experiment of course, but because you are only making tiny cuts every day the body can often cope with them a lot better than having to take the hit of a larger cut and then having to recover.

I couldn't say if you could actually cut 5mg over a year. I couldn't, but everyone is different of course. It took me 22 months to taper down from 5mg.

Hi Diaz-Pam.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I could probably manage 1 mill in 50 days going by your chart.

I was thinking that I could go down .5 every month with a daily taper but I think I got that wrong,I suppose its possible.

Ill be back with more Qs when I get lower.

Hi Diaz-Pam.

There are hard cases that need to go slow, but, sure, at your dose (it looks from your sig that you are near 7.5mg V?) .5mg a month is very reasonable to expect.  In fact, twice that would be reasonable.  And again, generally speaking I'd expect you could finish within a year.

So I could finish my whole taper in a year?

cutting .5 a month would take 15 months so it would be quicker and less side affects?

At what rate would you recommend the dose reductions?

So I could finish my whole taper in a year?

cutting .5 a month would take 15 months so it would be quicker and less side affects?

At what rate would you recommend the dose reductions?

It ultimately depends on you and how fast you heal, but yes, it is common for the last 7.5mg to take less than a year.  I'd expect you could cut 1mg or a little more a month for a while and then need to slow to maybe .75g, then .5mg and even .3mg a month at the very end.  And yes, the symptoms should be less too.

I'd suggest .02mg per day reductions as a starting point to see how you respond.  Try it for a few weeks and then consider moving up to .03mg cuts if all is well.  Try that for a few weeks.  If that goes well you could then try .04mg cuts.

thanks SG57.

Kind off seems to good to be true, Reduce more but have less symptoms.????

Im going to see if my doctor will back me on this.

I will pop back with more Qs when im lower.

Many thanks Small.

thanks SG57.

Kind off seems to good to be true, Reduce more but have less symptoms.????

Im going to see if my doctor will back me on this.

I will pop back with more Qs when im lower.

Many thanks Small.

Removing more benzo than your body is ready to deal with causes unnecessary symptoms.  Give daily tapering a try.  Start slow and see how it goes.

Hi Diaz  Pam

Please could you give me your advice .stuck at 4mg per day , have been for 6 weeks .my last cut was 0.5mg . I think I may have hit tolerance . Still suffer in morning with headaches , depression not good , get the chills ect . I have been debating whether to do another . 0.5mg cut or go over to milk taper . Not sure whether to do the 1mg cut over a longer period . We understand how to do that one , or to do a 0.5mg liquid cut but we don't know how to do that one in liquid . Could you poss advise and if you could do me a table of how to do the smaller cut . My anxiety is awful too , I was on them for that in first place . Hoping it the withdrawal , your advice is appreciated thank you

I honestly don't think you've hit tolerance. You have just become one of the many people who just can't handle those larger one-off cuts now that your dose is quite low. If it was me I wouldn't be cutting another 0.5mg, either by direct tablet cut or liquid because that will be more than a 10% cut, and you seem to already be having enough problems with the last cut you did. I would be thinking about switching to a daily taper of cutting 1mg over a period of time, because hopefully that will make things a lot easier for you.

Sorry me again , also confused on other posts that say put 2mg in 20ml of milk so was wondering why a 1mg goes in 100ml .would have thought 2mg goes in 200ml  ? Confused thanks

Some people suggest using a smaller amount of liquid, like 1mg with just 10ml or 2mg with just 20ml, but I personally think this is not enough liquid. It makes a very concentrated mixture and that means that you need to be a lot more accurate with your measurements. Why make things more stressful for yourself?

I've always preferred the 1mg in 100ml method, because I've always been of the opinion that you need to make things as simple and stress-free as possible, and to me that means using a liquid mixture that is less concentrated so you have that little bit of extra "wiggle-room" in case your measuring isn't totally 100% accurate.

However, everyone has to make the choice that is right for them. I know of people who use the 1mg to 10ml method and they do fine. It really just gets down to what you prefer.