Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

Also, does it need to be exactly 400ml?

Get it as close as you can,  and try not to over think it.

Stay strong!

sharkey

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, does it need to be exactly 400ml?

Get it as close as you can,  and try not to over think it.

Stay strong!

sharkey

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I used 4ml Vodka to dissolve V. Then added 396ml water in a jar with it. Next question that nobody seems to be answering is do I need to stir it before I draw it :). Is 400ml to big of a batch at one time?

Also, thinking ahead here. When I get to the point when I have to cut another pill in half to make two 1 mg tablets how am I going to keep my dosage amount correct between the liguid and the dry half? The way Im going to do it now because I am already at 5mg for my night dose (two 2mg and a half tablet) Im just dropping the half and going to tirate that down. Just vnot sure when I get to 4mg how to go about it since they are 2mg tablets. I dont know might be benzo brain but seems awfully complicated

I used 4ml Vodka to dissolve V. Then added 396ml water in a jar with it. Next question that nobody seems to be answering is 1) do I need to stir it before I draw it :). 2) Is 400ml to big of a batch at one time?

1) You shouldn't need to, but it certainly wont cause any problem.

2)  Whether that is too big of a batch really depends on how much you use each day,  how much of your dose you take as liquid.  I never took more than 1mg a day from liquid, and I generally diluted enough to last 10-14 days.

Also, thinking ahead here. When I get to the point when I have to cut another pill in half to make two 1 mg tablets how am I going to keep my dosage amount correct between the liguid and the dry half? The way Im going to do it now because I am already at 5mg for my night dose (two 2mg and a half tablet) Im just dropping the half and going to tirate that down. Just vnot sure when I get to 4mg how to go about it since they are 2mg tablets. I dont know might be benzo brain but seems awfully complicated

<sigh>...you're making this a whole lot more complicated than it is!

When you get to 4mg, you can 1) take 3mg (1 1/2 2mg tablets) dry and the rest of your dose from liquid or 2) you can take 2mg (1 2mg tablet) dry and the rest from liquid.

The "formula" is very simple.  Take part of your dose with tablets, and the rest from liquid.

:) That is where you are confusing me. You asked why earlier was I making 400ml. I was making a few days up at a time was my plan. Is that not correct? I am confused as you stated you would make several days worth up. The other thing I was asking is that when you cut a 2mg in half even at the score line they do not come out even. How do I solve this problem as I wont know if they half that I am making liquid for is actually 1mg. etc. etc.. Lastly, how do I stur up before each draw out of my solution. I have read several things

:) That is where you are confusing me. You asked why earlier was I making 400ml. I was making a few days up at a time was my plan. Is that not correct? I am confused as you stated you would make several days worth up. The other thing I was asking is that when you cut a 2mg in half even at the score line they do not come out even. How do I solve this problem as I wont know if they half that I am making liquid for is actually 1mg. etc. etc.. Lastly, how do I stur up before each draw out of my solution. I have read several things

OK, so you're making a solution of 400 ml which contains 4mg of V, so it's still a 1mg=100ml solution. How many mg/ml of liquid are you taking each day?

If you're really worried about splitting taoblets, then just use whole tablets.  As long as you are mixing liquid, you can make it with whole tablets, and make the  "less than 2mg" portions with the liquid.  But splitting tablet  in half really should not be a problem.  As I've said many times, consistency is more important than accuracy.  When I was splitting tablets, I just made sure I used the second half as part of the next dose.  Because of the long half-life, a little variation from dose-to-dose won't make any difference.  But if splitting tablets worries you, then don't split them.

If you want to stir it, stir it any way you want.  Again, how you stir it isn't going to make any difference .  I used to just "swish" the batch around a little before I pulled my dose, but as I said, that probably wasn't even necessary.

Don't get all freaked out about this.  It's a simple procedure, and almost certainly the most painless way to taper. 

You can take your dose anyway you want.  As I said the formula is take part from tablets, and the rest from liquid.  And if you wanted to, you could just take it all by liquid.  I did that when i got below 3mg, (but I had Rx liquid and did not have to dissolve tablets).

• 2 weeks later...
Ashton has a 9mg valium taper taking about 18 weeks. You took two years ? To each their own but that seems like an a long time to taper 9mg of V.,

Ashton has a 9mg valium taper taking about 18 weeks. You took two years ? To each their own but that seems like an a long time to taper 9mg of V.,

I did an Ashton-type taper from 15 down to 9.  Each cut resulted in about 2 days of unpleasant sxs.  But at 9, the sxs were overwhelming and unrelenting.  I made 3 attempts to go from 9 down to 8.5, and each attempt result in intolerable sxs, so I gave up for about 2 years.

Once i started my daily microtaper, I moved slowly and steadily down with very  few sxs.  And I am now 7 mos benzo-free, and had no residual sxs.

But you're free to pursue what ever taper protocol that suits you.

I needed to take almost 2 years to taper from 5mg V. A lot of people consider the Ashton Method way too fast and harsh.

There is only one rule with benzo tapering, and that is that there are no rules. Everyone has to taper as their body dictates. If you can taper 9mg V over 18 weeks you are VERY lucky. Many people will never be able to do it. You may be able to taper the higher doses more quickly, but most people need to slow it down considerably when they get lower. The longest part of my taper was down from 1mg.

Those will be fine.

But you might want to check with your pharmacy ("chemist"?).  Here in the US, pharmacies usually just give them away. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone help me with a liquid taper plan because right now I'm dry cutting 2mg every 2 weeks as per the Ashton Manual and I just went from 42mg to 40mg a few days ago and feel somewhat anxious, angry, a lot of insomnia, and so on.

I don't understand why people who cut down 1mg per month say to cut down like this:

Day 1 - Remove 0.033ml

Day 2 - Remove 0.066ml

Day 3 - Remove 1ml (0.099 rounded up)

etc.

How come it isn't like that for this taper plan? If I wanted to reduce 2mg every 2 weeks using a liquid taper and do daily cuts how would I go about doing so? For example, if I'm on 40mg and I want to cut down to 38mg I know I would take 36mg in pill form but how would I reduce 2mg over 2 weeks by doing daily liquid cuts?

Sorry, I'm surprised you haven't have any replies to your question by now. I only pop in about once a week these days, so I'll see if I can help with your problem. I think the easiest way to work this out is to keep your numbers as simple as possible and just think about number of days.

If you use the standard 1mg:100ml mixture/solution to titrate, instead of thinking about reducing 2mg in 2 weeks, think of it as 1mg in 1 week. That will make it much easier.

Then, once you've established that you want to reduce 1mg every week, and 1mg equals 100ml of liquid, divide that 100ml by 7 days, and that will be a reduction of 14mls per day. You would dose by taking 39mg of your dose in dry tablets and the other 1mg would be made into a 100ml liquid and you would reduce 14ml each day. Once you'd completed that reduction you would then take 38mg in dry tablets, and start reducing the other 1mg (or 100ml) daily.

However, I would be very careful about reducing by 14ml per day. You may or may not be able to handle that, but there are no prizes for going too fast. You need to pick a daily reduction amount that keeps most of your symptoms at bay.

• 3 weeks later...
Which is better. Taking a 2mg tablet and halfing it and making a 100ml solution or a 2mg and a 200ml solution? If I half it. Do I half to measure after I cut them in half or can I just take one half and make the 100ml solution and swallow the other half? How many days of mixture can I make ahead of time if I'm using the water method? Thanks

Which is better. Taking a 2mg tablet and halfing it and making a 100ml solution or a 2mg and a 200ml solution? If I half it. Do I half to measure after I cut them in half or can I just take one half and make the 100ml solution and swallow the other half? How many days of mixture can I make ahead of time if I'm using the water method? Thanks

I vote for 2mg in 200ml solution.  There is alot of inaccurate that can occur in halfing a pill.  I kept my solution for up to 5 days with no problems.

Stay strong!

sharkey

I vote for 2mg in 200ml solution.  There is alot of inaccurate that can occur in halfing a pill.  I kept my solution for up to 5 days with no problems.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Agree.  :thumbsup:

When using a syringe to I use the top of the rubber stopper to the line or the bottom of the rubber stopper to the line? I did a 200ml solution. I dissolved a 2mg tablet of V with 2ml of Vodka. Then I added (using a 60ml syringe. Drew it 3 times plus 18) water. Tomorrow I will do the same thing a draw out 3ml then drink and so on and so forth. Does this sound correct? I am going to do a .03 daily taper. I sure seems like a pain in the butt to make the solution or is there a simpler way?

Your prep procedure is correct.

But your dosing procedure is called "pull-to-discard".  You are pulling out your cut and  taking what's left.  That's the procedure almost always used for milk titration, because milk has a short shelf life.

The method I used (and recommend) is "pull-to-dose".  Alcohol/water solutions have a long, stable shelf life, so you can make a larger batch, and pull out your dose to drink, lowering the amount you pull each day.  It will probably take about 5 minutes to make your batch, and you can  safely make a big enough batch to last 10 days or so.

I had Rx liquid V, but the procedure would be the same.  Since I never needed more than 1mg from liquid each day, I would start with 10ml/mg of liquid V and add 90ml water (I did 9:1 dilution) and just drew out the needed amount each day.  That usually lasted 10-14 days.  Your valium/alcohol/water solution can safely be stored at room temp.

Ok. What about the plunger question?

If you start with the plunger fully depressed (at the bottom of the barrel) and pull it back to any given mark, (say, .5 on a 1ml syringe) then the measured volume is everything below that mark.  So the bottom of the plunger is your guide.  Your measured dose is everything below the bottom of the plunger.

And not to worry you, but these plastic syringes (that the pharmacies often give away) are  NOT "precision instruments".  But as long as you follow a consistent procedure, small errors will be self-cancelling.  Consistency is more important than accuracy!

This is also why dilution is important...it minimizes the error factor.  Even if you only dilute 9:1 (10% solution) then a 1% measurement error is only a .1% actual dose error.