Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

Good afternoon Diaza Pam,

Hope you are well, I just came back from my GP...Ok so she gave me one script for the 10mg/10ml liquid valium. Please let me know if I'm getting this right:

1. So I put 1mg into 99ml.  That is a .01mg/ml concentration.  Each ml contains .01mg Valium. That means that I have ten fills.

2. My plan is to first start take 100ml for a week to see how my body responds to the liquid form.

3. If all goes ok, my plan is to taper down 0.2mg every 2 weeks or so (all will depend on how the body responds etc)

4. Use the daily "excess" reduction for the next day's dose.

I have two minor questions:

- my Dr only gave me one script - which at starting my first week on this taper, will only take me to ten days. Should I ask her to give me repeats? And if so, do you know how many repeats one can get? (She said I don't have epilepsy so the script will need to be private - which is fine for me, however one of the ways I have reduced my anxiety and been able to taper the way that I have is to avoid going to her for scripts as much as possible!!!! (I'm still getting over seeing her this morning...its awful)

- any tips on how to store this liquid concoction? I suspect dry/cool/dark place as I have heard over the years that valium doesn't do too well in the fridge.

Thank you in advance xxx

Sora xxx

If you're in the US, your 1:1 liquid V will almost certainly be Roxane Diazepam Oral Solution.  Per the mfgr's instructions, it should be stored at room temp (59F-86F).  Your diluted batch should be stored under the same condition. do not refrigerate.

My scrips were 500 ml so my liquid V came in the original mfgr's container.  The second fill that I got had been on the pharmacy shelf (at room temp for almost a year when it was dispensed to me, and I used it for another 18 months, also stored at room temp.

I made diluted batches to last 10-14 days, kept them stored under similar conditions, and never had any problems.

Good luck.  I think you will find liquid titration/daily tapering a very tolerable way to get off of benzos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Diaz-Pam

Thanks so much for this post. I just seen it now and it has really helped me to understand and its set my mind at rest.  You are right about cutting the tablets. Valium is jusy way to 'crumbly' and cutting one eighth of a tablet is too much and/or inaccurate. You are such an asset to this BB community. I thank you . :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

This is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT MESSAGE. Please read. 

I have been stuck at 5mg of Valium for months (see signature). I'm in hell, I'm not improving enough to start Milk Titration again, have not stabalized at all. I feel like its time for me to say enough is enough and go back to 6mg (where I was back in August) and then begin Milk Titration. Will going back to 6mg cause any adverse effects and or even worse set-backs? Pam has told me many times to not begin LT until at least 75% stable.

It's just hard I worked so hard to get to 5, but I'm so stuck and not stabilizing whatsoever. 

Please share your thoughts please.

Pam please chime in

My decision will be based on all of your guy's EDUCATED suggestions. I will go with what the majority says. As I've done all I can do, and docs are completely up in the night on all this. Please take what I'm asking very serious. This will be a MASSIVE decision.

Thank you all.

This is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT MESSAGE. Please read. 

I have been stuck at 5mg of Valium for months (see signature). I'm in hell, I'm not improving enough to start Milk Titration again, have not stabalized at all. I feel like its time for me to say enough is enough and go back to 6mg (where I was back in August) and then begin Milk Titration. Will going back to 6mg cause any adverse effects and or even worse set-backs? Pam has told me many times to not begin LT until at least 75% stable.

It's just hard I worked so hard to get to 5, but I'm so stuck and not stabilizing whatsoever. 

Please share your thoughts please.

Pam please chime in

My decision will be based on all of your guy's EDUCATED suggestions. I will go with what the majority says. As I've done all I can do, and docs are completely up in the night on all this. Please take what I'm asking very serious. This will be a MASSIVE decision.

Thank you all.

I got stuck at 9mg.  I tried 3 times to get from 9 down to 8.5, and each time my sxs were wo overwhelming that I went beck to 9 to recover.

After the 3rd failure, I decided to just keep taking 9mg V forever.  I continued to take 9mg/day for 2 more years, then I found out about daily microtapering with liquid V.  That got me off of benzos.

Yea, I would go back to the dose you were stable at, then start a microtaper.  Worked for me.

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for this thread, DP... and everyone who has put in their two cents.

I had been doing cut and hold (more like just cut every week or two regardless of how I felt) and got down to 9mg from 15mg... I was reeling... BAD. .. and school was right around the corner... wanted to say... I have been starting a micro-taper (.02-.025mg a day) with a scale and 2mg pills and have been improving and stabilizing as I've cut down to 8.5... am super excited.... because my personality is coming back and the prospect of continuing the taper, being done in a bit less than a year, and using daily tapering with my steroid and other drugs is cool. :) Wish I would have done this earlier.

I know I still feel lousy, but things are improving daily and I'm still tapering. The 2mg pills of Valium weigh .152g, and I'm cutting .002g a day off with a shaver.

Thanks again. This seems to be what I was looking for!

:smitten:

• 1 month later...

Just going to bump this thread because it would be a shame for it to be lost. It could be of a lot of help for newbies just learning how to daily taper off valium.

There is also a "sister" thread to this one here..http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=110496.0.  This is how to daily taper using vodka.

• 3 weeks later...

Just going to bump this thread because it would be a shame for it to be lost. It could be of a lot of help for newbies just learning how to daily taper off valium.

There is also a "sister" thread to this one here..http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=110496.0.  This is how to daily taper using vodka.

Hi Diaz-pam

Thought I would help to keep this thread as well, I don't post much but I have begun the milk titration finally having the guts to jump in and give it a go. I am 8 days into daily taper and so far so good, if it keeps going along like this I will be a very happy camper.

Luv n hugs

Gypsy :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi im starting using valium and liquid very soon and have a few questions.

I will be taking 5 mill of valium in 2,2 mill pills and 1 mill of liquid.

2 mill pill in the morning and .5 of liquid,2 mill pill in the evening and .5 liquid.

I would like to start reducing the .5 liquid from the evening dose 1st over a period of about a month so can someone please help me work out how I do it and with what syringes.

How do I pull out 0.15 out of .5 liquid?

Will I have to dilute the liquid valium or leave it as it is,If I do have to dilute what part water to 0.5 liquid valium?

also 0.15 over 30 days would=4.5 mill of liquid valium yes?

Any help is appreciated as ive a doctors appointment soon.

many thanks in advance,Small

I'd recommend reducing both doses together instead of one at a time, but that is up to you.

I assume this is Roxane 5mg=5ml solution?  You could dilute with 9ml water for each 1ml liquid V to make a .1mg/ml liquid.  Then, with a 1ml syringe, reduce by .15ml per day.  This would be a cut of .015mg per day.  Then split it into your two doses.  This will reduce you .45mg over a month.  You are set up well for tapering!

Thank for the help :). I haven't got the liquid yet so im sorry but I carnt tell you

Me and my wife have justbeen working this out,I would appreciate your opinion and clarify if its correct.

Put 1 mill of liquid valium in 99 mill of water.

Divide the 100 mill in half. Drink half in the morning leaving half for the evening.

Then reduce 1.5 from 50 mill

Then reduce 3.0 from 50 mill

then reduce 4.5 from 50 mill.

Are my maths correct to finish it in around a month?

Yes, you could put 1ml into 9ml water for a 10% solution (1ml=.1mg) or put 1ml into 99ml water for a 1% solution (1ml=.01mg).  Both will work and it is a matter of preference which you choose.

Let's work with the 1% case (100ml).  Reduce 1.5ml (.015mg) first, THEN split it into two doses.  So on day 1 remove 1.5ml, on day 2 remove 3ml, on day 3 remove 4.5ml... and so on.  In a month you'll have removed .45mg and in two months .9mg.

Your example seems to show removing .015mg per dose or .03mg per day.  That is twice as fast as my example and I think it is too much to start with at your dose, but that is up to you.

Thanks again., You are a great help when help is needed.

No I would just be reducing one dose a day and keeping the morning dose as it is then concentrate on the night time dose 1st.

I will explain again in better detail for you and see if its correct.

put 1 mill of liquid valium in 99 mill of water.

Drink 50 mill in the morning every morning and leave 50 mill for night dose.

Reduce the night dose from 50 mill left from the morning dose as follows.

Day 1...50mill - 1.5 mill=48.5

Day 2...50mill - 3.0 mill=47

Day 3...50mill - 4.5 mill=45.5

All the way to zero then start on the morning 50 mill.

Okay, got it.  That will be a .015mg daily cut and that is fine.

What you might do is take the cut from the 100ml first, then split the remaining liquid in half.  This way both doses come down together. This will keep your blood levels more in balance.

Anyone else doing e-town's version of a daily taper... using a scale and pill shaver?

I have been for the past few months and it seems to be doing okay... symptoms have lessened, no doubt.

Ok SG57.

That's a great idea about taking the reduction out 1st :).

Makes perfect sense,Thank again for all your help.

Ill post back when I start to let you know how things are going

Small

Hi im starting using valium and liquid very soon and have a few questions.

I will be taking 5 mill of valium in 2,2 mill pills and 1 mill of liquid.

2 mill pill in the morning and .5 of liquid,2 mill pill in the evening and .5 liquid.

I would like to start reducing the .5 liquid from the evening dose 1st over a period of about a month so can someone please help me work out how I do it and with what syringes.

How do I pull out 0.15 out of .5 liquid?

Will I have to dilute the liquid valium or leave it as it is,If I do have to dilute what part water to 0.5 liquid valium?

also 0.15 over 30 days would=4.5 mill of liquid valium yes?

Any help is appreciated as ive a doctors appointment soon.

many thanks in advance,Small

You don't have to dilute, but it certainly makes measuring and dosing easier and more accurate.

My procedure was to mix enough dilute batch to last 10-14 days, and just draw out the needed dose each day.  I usually diluted 9:1 (10% solution), but you can just as easily dilute 99:1 (1% solution) if that's your preference.

For example, when I was at 5mg, I tapering .015 mg/day.  So my procedure was:

4 mg pills and 10ml (1mg) liquid

4mg pills and 9.85ml (.985mg) liquid

4mg pills and 9.7ml (.97mg) liquid

4mg pills and 9.55ml (.955mg) liquid, etc.

When I got down to 4mg total dose, then the procedure was:

3mg pill and 10ml (1mg) liquid

3mg pills and 9.85ml (.985mg) liquid

3mg pill and 9.7ml (.97mg) liquid, etc.

If you choose 99:1, you would just move the decimal one place left.

I used a graduated cylinder (optional) and a 10ml syringe to measure/mix my dilute batch, stored it in sealed glass jar (at room temp) and used a 10ml and a 1ml syringe to dose.

Thanks builder  :).

Just another quick question.

Does all liquid valium come the same? I mean is it thick, Thin?

Will it all dilute in water whatever the thickness?

Thanks builder  :).

Just another quick question.

Does all liquid valium come the same? I mean is it thick, Thin?

Will it all dilute in water whatever the thickness?

In the US, there are 2 liquid V formulations.  Diazepam Oral Solution (5mg=5ml) is a glycol solvent liquid, and is commonly used for tapering.  Diazepam Intensol (5mg=1ml) is a concentrated alcohol solvent liquid, not generally used for tapering because of the concentration.

Both products are true solutions, are designed for diluting, and can be extensively diluted.

Thank for the help :). I haven't got the liquid yet so im sorry but I carnt tell you

Me and my wife have justbeen working this out,I would appreciate your opinion and clarify if its correct.

Put 1 mill of liquid valium in 99 mill of water.

Divide the 100 mill in half. Drink half in the morning leaving half for the evening.

Then reduce 1.5 from 50 mill

Then reduce 3.0 from 50 mill

then reduce 4.5 from 50 mill.

Are my maths correct to finish it in around a month?

Hi Small

I see you are from England. I don't know this for certain, but the type of LV that another English BB member had to use wasn't the standard 1mg=1ml ratio. It was the 2mg=5ml ratio.

If this is what you have to use, it doesn't make the process any harder, but it does mean that it will be a little bit different for you if you want to do the standard 100ml titration.

If you go back to the very first post in this thread you will see where I have covered this in the instructions. It's about half way down where I've highlighted it ...

© If you are using liquid valium (2mg=5ml ratio) + tablets

When the liquid ratio is 2mg=5ml, that means that 1mg = 2.5ml. So add 2.5ml of liquid valium to 97.5ml of water (this makes a total of 100ml).

If you start out drinking the 100ml solution the first day then depending on your taper rate, how do you redice each day? What I mean is for example, if I decide to reduce by 3ml per day do I make each batch up with 100ml then suck out 3 before I drink it? How does this park work?

If you start out drinking the 100ml solution the first day then depending on your taper rate, how do you redice each day? What I mean is for example, if I decide to reduce by 3ml per day do I make each batch up with 100ml then suck out 3 before I drink it? How does this park work?

You can do that, ("pull to discard"), but I'll never understand why folks want to do that.  My method was "pull to dose"-little, if any, waste.

Lets say you want to cut .03mg per day.  Dissolve 5mg in alcohol and do your dilution so you have 500ml of dilute liquiid.  Each ml will contain .01mg.  Your siggy says your at 7mg.  Take 6mg from tablets, and then draw 97ml (.97mg) from you mix.  Next day take 6mg tablets, and draw 94ml (.94mg) from your mix.  Then 6mg and 91ml (.91mg), 6mg and 88 (.88mg) etc.  You're cutting .03mg/day, and not not throwing out any. 

Your batch will last about 5 days, then mix a fresh batch.

I did a 1mg=10ml dilution instead of 1mg=100ml, but the procedure is the same, you just move the decimal one place instead of 2 places.  I usually mixed enougn of a batch to last about 10-14 days.  So I spent maybe 5 minutes every 10 days or so, and measuring out my liquid dose each day didn't really take any longer than getting th pills out of the bottle.

Your diute mix will remain stable, and should be stored at room temp in a sealed container, away from direct light.