Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

I'm having a tough time wondering how to go about this... my mind is a bit cog foggy right now, so please bear with me :)

So, I'm on 13.8 mg Valium... using pills... which equals .417g on a jewelery scale...

What would be my first move? If I wanted to cut 1mg over say 50 days.... I would cut my dose of pills to 12.8 and then make the 1mg to 100ml solution, drinking the full solution and then taking out a little at a time every day?

Also, has anyone had issues drinking vodka when doing this?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

To make it slightly easier for yourself, so you can work in whole numbers, I would cut to 12mg initially and then start you liquid titration from there.

So then, if you wanted to cut 1mg over 50 days that would be a reduction of 2ml (from the 100ml) per day.

Day 1 - drink the full 100ml (+ 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 2 - drink 98ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 3 - drink 96ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 4 - drink 94ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 5 - drink 92ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 6 - drink 90ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

Day 7 - drink 88ml (of the 100ml + 11mg in tablet form to make up your dose to 12mg)

..... and so on, until you have reduced that 1mg totally. Then you start the process again, but you now take 10mg in tablet form, along with your liquid.

Re the vodka, I have only just started using this method myself, and I use 1ml of vodka to dissolve a 1mg tablet. The amount of vodka is so small I doubt anyone would have a problem with it, even if you have previously had an alcohol problem. However, that is a decision that each person should make for themselves.

Ahhh I see... then the rest water.... and that's ok??

I will definitely research and consider doing this as I near 12mg.

Thanks much DP.... I thought I'd be getting drunk drinking half a cup of vodka lol....

But really, I appreciate it... Helps ALOT.. I am most likely going to do this when I cut down to a round number.

:smitten: Hope you're doing well. Almost done!!!

No, don't worry about the vodka. You only need a small amount to dissolve the valium. Shame really. Maybe we'd all cope better if we could drink half a cup of vodka while we're tapering. Might numb the experience a bit.  :D

No, don't worry about the vodka. You only need a small amount to dissolve the valium. Shame really. Maybe we'd all cope better if we could drink half a cup of vodka while we're tapering. Might numb the experience a bit.  :D

LOL... at first I was like, hmmm... google... 100ml to cup conversion... 1/2 cup!!? Wth? I'm going to be drunk for years! haha.

I may wait until I get down to 12mg like you said to do this, or 10.

Right now my insurance covers a 30 day supply of 90 tabs of Valium (5mg each) for $15...

So once I'm at 12mg, I'd need 6 per day to get to 12mg... is this going to be any more expensive or do you think I'll have trouble getting the script? ..or is it readily supplied, prescribed?

so 180 pills instead of 90 for a 30 day supply.

I can't really comment on that because (I assume) you're in America, while I'm in Australia. Our methods of prescribing meds are probably different. You might be better off asking that question on the valium thread, where someone else might be able to answer.

Our valium tablets are covered on the PBS list, which means you only pay a small amount for each prescription, regardless of what that amount is. The liquid valium is different though. It's more expensive because it's not covered by PBS.

[fe...]

I may wait until I get down to 12mg like you said to do this, or 10.

Right now my insurance covers a 30 day supply of 90 tabs of Valium (5mg each) for $15...

So once I'm at 12mg, I'd need 6 per day to get to 12mg... is this going to be any more expensive or do you think I'll have trouble getting the script? ..or is it readily supplied, prescribed?

so 180 pills instead of 90 for a 30 day supply.

D, I pay around 3 dollars for 60 pills of 2 mgr.

And around 4 dollars for 30 5 mgr.

I got the shitty cheap Mylan brand. But im used to that now, so I guess it doesn't matter?

My liquid, Pharma grade, costs around 7 dollars for 20 ml.

Hi,

I'm having a really difficult time with my liquid diaz. daily cuts. 2mg tablet, twice a day + reducing 1mg liquid. I'm currently at

just under 5mg. Have had to hold a couple times. But even with that, much anxiety, much less functioning. I can't even drive or get around.

.02 cuts feel stronger than they should. I might be sensitive to liquid rx.

I've had trouble with rx liquid before with another method.

I'm now thinking maybe the milk titration would be better for me, or worth a try. At least I'd sticking with the tablets this way.

??? Really frustrating. I don't know if my nervous system damage from late stage lyme is just not allowing me to keep going or what.

How do I transition to milk titration? I lost Journeys thread about milt titration. I'd sure like to have a smooth taper like some of you guys.

Thanks

infoshar.

Maybe you might need to consider reducing your 0.02mg cuts each day. Perhaps you could try 0.015mg for a while and see how that feels.

The details of the way I did the milk titration is in the first post of this thread. I'm not sure if it is similar to Journey's method though. From memory I think she used a whole 2mg tablet with 200ml of milk, because she didn't want to split the tablets, and that's fine too.

The other alternative you have is to use a small amount of vodka with your tablet. The alcohol dissovles the valium. This is the method that I've just recently changed over to, because I also thought I was having problems with the liquid valium. I just put 1mg tablet with 1ml of vodka. Allow just a minute or two for it to break down and the valium to dissolve and then I top it up with 99ml of water to make my 100ml solution. So far this method is working okay for me.

Which ever way you decide to go you should just be able to transitiion straight from one method to another. However it's probably a good idea to either do a very small updose, or hold for a while, so you can get used to the new method.

Hi Diaz.

You've come down almost all the way. So you just switched to vodka? Did the liquid val. just recently start to bother you?

The first thread page I found has your instructions, but I didn't see heavy detail about milk?

I guess I'll have to see how long it takes. But how do you know if it's all dissolved, not sure the general time table for this.

It sounds like vodka would be more efficient for this.

It must be safe if people are using it.

I'm going to hold a bit, as I think some of this is from lyme treatment. But the symptoms are quite similar.

I do wish I could stabilize where I was more functional, than where I'm at now.

Thanks for your info, as usual.

Hoping for the best.

infoshar

I've had quite a few problems with my taper over the last month and I don't really know what the problem was, but one theory I had was that the LV I had could have deteriorated because the bottle had been open too long, and had also been through the heat of our summer (I'm in Australia, so we're now in winter). Upon reading the "fine print" in the internet information for my LV it says to discard any open bottles after 3 months, so that could be part of the problem.

Sorry if my method isn't very clear about the milk. It is basically just the same method as the liquid valium, except that you put a 1mg tablet into 100ml of whole milk and allow the tablet to break down. The valium will never dissolve of course, and will only suspend, so you need to mix it really well while you're measuring your dose to make sure you have a fairly even suspension.

However, since writing out that procedure I've become more aware of the vodka method, and I personally think it is probably a better way to go, if you can't use LV, as the alcohol will actually dissolve the valium. There are a few of us currently using this method, and some who have now jumped, and it seems to work quite well.

After some discussions on other threads, we seem to have come to the conclusion that storage of your mixture in a cool darken cupboard (not in the fridge) is best. The valium will deteriorate fairly quickly if subjected to light or heat, and storage in the fridge may cause the valium to split from the alcohol.

I hope that helps.

Diaz

That's interesting. I considered heat might affect the LV. We're just now getting into summer in U.S.. But my ap't gets really hot unless the ac is on. Even when it's cool outside.  I asked the pharmacist about the temp thing, she said 87 is ok, "room temp".  The insert  gives a range , max at 80 something. I put a thermometer in the cupboard I keep it in. It was up near the max. Plus, this bottle(Roxan) is going on 3mths now. But it's measured to last 4mths.

Maybe that's part of the problem...

I hope my cupboard can handle the vodka solution if I go that way. Do people make up 4 or 5 batches ahead also, I would guess.

I guess I could make it daily to avoid the heat issue, if that is what's affecting it..

Tom

My bottle of LV had an expiry date of October 2014, but after reading the "discard after 3 months" thing I decided not to trust it.

I usually keep my batches going for a maximum of about 4-5 days. I don't have any proof that it's no good after that, but I prefer to be cautious. Maybe while your temps are high, and provided you have enough tablets, making new batches daily might be the way to go.

I just remembered a discussion we had on another thread about the heat and refrigeration issue of the vodka and valium.

The partner of one of the posters is a chemist and she felt that there could be a possibility that the vodka and valium would split if stored in the fridge. However, that would only be a problem if you were storing your main batch in the fridge, which you were still to measure your dose out of.

However, if you made up a new batch, measured out a few doses from it and then stored those measured doses in the fridge, even if the vodka and valium split, it may not matter because the measured dose of valium would still be in the liquid, and it wouldn't matter if it wasn't dissolved properly in the vodka.

I see.

Not sure what you mean by "main batch"? Wouldn't you just be making individual batches from maybe a smaller container of vodka?

Should the vodka bottle, and smaller container be stored in fridge, or in cupboard? Maybe that's what you mean by main batch.

I still have a ways to go on my taper, around 5mg. Is there any danger of using 1ml of vodka per day for possibly another year?

Btw, what did you not like about milk titration? Seems like I'd need sort of a large jar to stir milk and valium together. Not surre if I should try that first, or go for the vodka method.

Thanks for the info and any directions.

infoshar.

hi Infoshar...just to make a brief note, i wouldn't worry too much about the daily amount of vodka. because doing this method you will not only be tapering the valium but also the vodka at the same time without realizing it....tc..

I see.

Not sure what you mean by "main batch"? Wouldn't you just be making individual batches from maybe a smaller container of vodka?

Should the vodka bottle, and smaller container be stored in fridge, or in cupboard? Maybe that's what you mean by main batch.

I still have a ways to go on my taper, around 5mg. Is there any danger of using 1ml of vodka per day for possibly another year?

Btw, what did you not like about milk titration? Seems like I'd need sort of a large jar to stir milk and valium together. Not surre if I should try that first, or go for the vodka method.

Thanks for the info and any directions.

infoshar.

Most folks only use the liquid for the "cut" portion of their daily dose.  For example, at 5 mg, you would take 4 mg from tablets, and the rest from liquid, so you wouldn't be using anywhere near 1 ml of vodka/day.

And most folks tapering liquid typically make a 7-10 day "batch", then dispense their daily dose from that.

I understand just cutting with the liquid part. I've been doing rx LValium for a few months. But getting gi, and not feeling right at all.

I'm confused about making a large batch. I've been used to making 4 100ml batches, then taking out the daily cut from one of those each day. Would I continue this same method?

Thanks

Tom

Also, what kind of vodka do I get? Are there different "proofs" Im not a drinker, so I know very little about this.

infoshar.

Sorry for all the questions.

High anxiety.

I am currently doing 2 divided doses of valium. With the night dose I do the liquid rx valium and 100ml solution.

I may have to stabilze at 5mg tablet for a while. This is not settling yet.

If I go to vodka and 1mg(split 2mg) tablet in 100ml solution at night with 2mg tablet, and 2mg tablet in daytime. Can I take the remaining 1mg(from the split 2mg) the next night with the taper dose. Does consecutive mean within the 24 hours, or should it be the very next dose? That would get complicated.

Thanks

Tom

Most vodkas are 80 proof (40% alcohol).  Obviously, the higher the ETOH, the greater the solubility.  But 1 mg ETOH will dissolve 41 mg V, so 1 ml 80 proof vodka will dissolve approx 16 mg V.  You really shouldn't have to worry too much about how much vodka you will need/use.

I think Pam is dissolving 1 mg dry V in 1 ml vodka, then adding 99 ml water.  That makes her 100 ml "batch" and each ml contains .01 mg V.

Although I am using pharma-grade Rx liquid V, (1mg=1ml), I dilute it 9:1.  Currently, I make a "batch" of 200 ml, (20 ml liquid V and 180 ml water) and at current dosage (I am now using 100% liquid) that 200 ml lasts about 12 days.

Either way works.  I think Pam likes the 99:1 mix because there really isn't any math to figure.

Sorry for all the questions.

High anxiety.

I am currently doing 2 divided doses of valium. With the night dose I do the liquid rx valium and 100ml solution.

I may have to stabilze at 5mg tablet for a while. This is not settling yet.

If I go to vodka and 1mg(split 2mg) tablet in 100ml solution at night with 2mg tablet, and 2mg tablet in daytime. Can I take the remaining 1mg(from the split 2mg) the next night with the taper dose. Does consecutive mean within the 24 hours, or should it be the very next dose? That would get complicated.

Thanks

Tom

I split tablets at several points during my taper, both 5 mg and 2 mg, making sure to take both halves on subsequent days (24 hours apart), and never had any problem.