Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

Hey DP.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are about starting a micro-taper when unstable.

I currently have very harsh symptoms... and am not sure if I'm experiencing severe tolerance or am feeling the effects of previous cuts that have caught up with me.

I've tended towards feeling horrific on Valium the entire two years I've been on it, so I'm not sure what to do really.

I have been planning on doing e-town's way of microtapering with 2mg pills... and cutting small everyday.

The tough thing is that I just plain and simple don't know what is going on and what to do. I felt a lot of these same symptoms before I even started tapering, so it's all a mess.

Thanks DP.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hey DP I've been to the klonopin thread and it seems so scary over there! Truthfully it actually has me more afraid of what's ahead of me:((

Hey DP.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are about starting a micro-taper when unstable.

I currently have very harsh symptoms... and am not sure if I'm experiencing severe tolerance or am feeling the effects of previous cuts that have caught up with me.

I've tended towards feeling horrific on Valium the entire two years I've been on it, so I'm not sure what to do really.

I have been planning on doing e-town's way of microtapering with 2mg pills... and cutting small everyday.

The tough thing is that I just plain and simple don't know what is going on and what to do. I felt a lot of these same symptoms before I even started tapering, so it's all a mess.

Thanks DP.

Generally it's not a good idea to keep lowering your dose if you are already unstable because that will only compound the problem. However, there is unstable because you've cut your dose too quicky, and then there's unstable simply because you're never going to feel completely well until you've finished your taper.

I see in August you cut your dose by 1mg, which was just under 8%, so that's not too bad, but maybe it was more than your body was happy with at the time, and then you cut a further 0.5mg in Sept, so maybe that really just upset things further when your body hadn't recovered from the previous cuts. 

I'm no expert of course, but I see that you probably have 2 choices right now. Either you can plan to do an extended hold, maybe even for a month or two. There is no harm in doing a longer hold. I did a 2 month hold at 1mg because I had to, and things worked out well for me.

Or perhaps the other option is that you could start doing very tiny daily cuts, and just see what happens. Unfortunately for some people the only way out is to just keep cutting, but I honestly think they are the minority. I would prefer you found out if a longer hold would help you first.

hey DP I've been to the klonopin thread and it seems so scary over there! Truthfully it actually has me more afraid of what's ahead of me:((

I'm really sorry to hear that. Hopefully the information that SG posted has help you work out what to do. I hope so, because I think doing daily tapers is probably the best way to go for a lot of people who are struggling.

Yes SG and a couple others have given me some hope! I think I should take it and try not to dig too hard. SG has been such a breath of fresh air to me! !!! I couldn't have came so far with my taper planing otherwise:)

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm at 5.5mg of v right now. I want to get rid of the .5 first what would be the math for getting rid of .5 over 17 days?

If you want to reduce 0.5mg over 17 days that would be the same as reducing 1mg over 34 days. So if you refer to the schedule I have in the first post on this thread you will see that to reduce that amount over that period of time you would need to reduce approx 3ml per day of the 100ml mixture.

As you have already reduced part of that initial 1mg (ie you are currently on 5.5mg and have already reduced down from 6mg) you would start your taper from the 50ml mark, and start reducing from there. If you are just switching over to milk it’s best to hold your dose for a while to get used to the new method.

So that would mean that for a week or two you would take 5mg in dry tablet form and the other 0.5mg would be taken as 50ml of your 100ml mixture. Then if you feel okay after holding for a while you would start taking out 3ml from that 50ml every day, but make sure you hold whenever you feel you need to.

So I'm at 5.5mg of v right now. I want to get rid of the .5 first what would be the math for getting rid of .5 over 17 days?

If you want to reduce 0.5mg over 17 days that would be the same as reducing 1mg over 34 days. So if you refer to the schedule I have in the first post on this thread you will see that to reduce that amount over that period of time you would need to reduce approx 3ml per day of the 100ml mixture.

As you have already reduced part of that initial 1mg (ie you are currently on 5.5mg and have already reduced down from 6mg) you would start your taper from the 50ml mark, and start reducing from there. If you are just switching over to milk it’s best to hold your dose for a while to get used to the new method.

So that would mean that for a week or two you would take 5mg in dry tablet form and the other 0.5mg would be taken as 50ml of your 100ml mixture. Then if you feel okay after holding for a while you would start taking out 3ml from that 50ml every day, but make sure you hold whenever you feel you need to.

Okay so I'm going to use 50ml of whole milk and reduce 3ml for 17 days to reduce .5? Correct?

First time didn't go that well. I thought it was fully dissolved but it wasn't. The brand name V might need to be crushed first.  I'll try that tomorrow. So I kinda screwed up today cause I pulled out 3ml and then as I was drinking the rest I noticed it was not fully dissolved. Thoughts DP?

Okay so I'm going to use 50ml of whole milk and reduce 3ml for 17 days to reduce .5? Correct?

You will still need to make up the 100ml mixture with the 1mg valium (half a 2mg tablet), but for the initial settling in period you will only consume 50ml of that mixture because that is equivalent to 0.5mg of your total dose (plus you will be taking 5mg in dry tablet form). So that 100ml mixture will last you for 2 days.

Then when you start to reduce, from the 100ml mixture you will take out 50ml (which you have already reduced because your dose is 0.5mg), and you will take out an additional 3ml. That will be a total of 53ml that you will take out of that 100ml and you drink the rest (ie 47ml). The left over amount (53ml) can be used for your next day's dose.

Then the second day you will take out that 53ml plus another 3ml. That will be a total of 56ml that you will take out of that 100ml and you drink the rest (ie 44ml). The left over amount (56ml) can be used for your next day's dose.

Then on the third day you will take out that 56ml plus another 3mg. That will be a total of 59ml that you will take out of that 100ml and you drink the rest (ie 41ml). The left over amount (59ml) can be used for your next day's dose.

You will continue to progressively reduce an additional 3ml per day until you have totally reduced the 100ml mixture.

How do you know when the V has fully dissolved in the milk?

The valium won't actually dissolve in the milk. It will be suspended so that's why you need to keep the mixture moving while you are measuring your dose. You will see some powder and particles in the bottom of the mixture, but they are the fillers in the tablets and they won't dissolve at all, but they are not valium so you don't need to worry about them.

Just follow all the instructions in the first post on this thread and you should be fine.

First time didn't go that well. I thought it was fully dissolved but it wasn't. The brand name V might need to be crushed first.  I'll try that tomorrow. So I kinda screwed up today cause I pulled out 3ml and then as I was drinking the rest I noticed it was not fully dissolved. Thoughts DP?

As I noted in my previous post, what you saw were probably the fillers in the tablet. They won't dissolve at all, but you don't need to worry about them. Just keep following all the instructions in the first post here, and you should be fine.

It also may not be a good idea to start reducing just yet if you have only just starting using milk to titrate. Some people feel they need to give themselves at least a few days to a week to settle into the new method.

I don't understand how this doesnt work?

Day 1 47ml.    5.47

Day 2 44ml.    5.44

Day 3 41ml.    5.41

Most people put the whole 1mg into 100ml of milk, but if you want to put 0.5mg into 50ml that would be the same thing. Just keep in mind though that to get 0.5mg you need to cut your 2 mg tablet twice, and every time you cut a tablet the dose is less accurate. That's why it's usually advised to just cut your tablet once, to get 1mg, and then use up the other half within about 24 hours, so that any inaccuries even out fairly quickly.

Most people put the whole 1mg into 100ml of milk, but if you want to put 0.5mg into 50ml that would be the same thing. Just keep in mind though that to get 0.5mg you need to cut your 2 mg tablet twice, and every time you cut a tablet the dose is less accurate. That's why it's usually advised to just cut your tablet once, to get 1mg, and then use up the other half within about 24 hours, so that any inaccuries even out fairly quickly.

Oh yeah i totally understand and after I get rid of the .5 (I don't want to make that extra cut any Longer than I have to anymore to get a .5mg)  and get down to 5mg I will def begin to do it with the 100ml 1mg ratio. Last thing, tomorrow when I do it again how long should I let it dissolve again so I don't run into the same problem I ran into today?

I used to make up my mixtures the day before and leave them overnight in the fridge. Just be careful about starting to reduce straight away though. Some people prefer to get used to the milk/valium mixture first before they start to cut.

There is some variation/inconsistency when cutting 2 mg into halves (1 mg) and significantly more variation/inconsistency when cutting it into quarters (,5 mg).

I woul follow Pam's suggestion and stay with the 1 mg=100 ml protocol..

JMHO

DP

So I made my batch this morning and put in fridge until I use it this evening. Do I swoosh it back and forth when the time come? How can I possibly know if its evenly dissolved in the whole milk?

There is some variation/inconsistency when cutting 2 mg into halves (1 mg) and significantly more variation/inconsistency when cutting it into quarters (,5 mg).

I woul follow Pam's suggestion and stay with the 1 mg=100 ml protocol..

JMHO

I will after I get rid of the .5  :thumbsup:

DP

So I made my batch this morning and put in fridge until I use it this evening. Do I swoosh it back and forth when the time come? How can I possibly know if its evenly dissolved in the whole milk?

It won't dissolve, but it will suspend in the milk. You won't be able to see it of course, but plenty of other people have used this method and it works. Just keep it moving as you are measuring out your dose.

DP

It won't dissolve, but it will suspend in the milk. You won't be able to see it of course, but plenty of other people have used this method and it works. Just keep it moving as you are measuring out your dose.

Keep it moving?

Swishing it backwards and forwards. I would also fill up the syringe and plunge it back into the mixture a couple of times to make sure it was mixed well.

Swishing it backwards and forwards. I would also fill up the syringe and plunge it back into the mixture a couple of times to make sure it was mixed well.

What happens if I prepare it in the morning and then take it out of the fridge at night to use it but i don't swoosh it at all. Will it still most likely be just fine. Or is the swooshing part really important?