Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

It's an individual thing, but I save mine for the next day. If it's less complicated for you to not bother about it, then you could throw it out, and just use a new batch each day, but I hate wasting benzo tablets..lol...

If you wanted to save it, just make up a new batch, measure what you can out of the old batch and top it up with the new batch. 

Once you start tapering you will get to a point where one batch will be lasting you a number of days, so that's when you need to consider the spoilage of the milk, but I'm sure if it's really fresh milk that you use, you should be able to easily get up to about 4-5 days out of a batch before you would need to worry about it going off.

btw - I noticed your question on the valium thread about what alternatives you could use. A lot of people find that things like soy, almond, rice milk etc work quite well. The main thing is to make sure the fat content is similar to whole milk, because it's the fat that you need to help suspend the valium.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Diaz-Pam,

Thank you very much for your detailed description of diazepam water tapering method. I was put on 2  benzos. Even though a lot of BB members suggested to start tapering off xanax first, I decided to c/o to clorazepate (total doze will be equal to 30 mg Clorazepate and it is equal to 20 mg of V.) Unfortunately I have a long way to go and I want to do it as slow as possible regardless how long it would take as long as I can manage w/d s/x.

As I can see from your tapering schedule and your suggestions, you are doing your taper very slowly. I know everybody is different and it is difficult to predict if slow tapering would completely eliminate/minimize s/s of w/d.

Could you please tell me how bad your w/d s/x are or were with your rate of tapering.

I still have to figure out my rate. It seems that nobody at BB is taking clorazepate which has almost the same long half-life as V. Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy smaller than 15 mg dose of clorazepate and it is more than 3 times more expensive than Diazepam. But I am afraid to c/o to Diazepam. I used to take  Klonopine and it made me extermely depressed, so I do not know how I would react to V. Using your description I will try to come up with my rate and way of doing it.

I am pre-menopausal. My periods are unpredictable, so I assume I have great fluctuation of my hormones. My OB doctor has no solutions for me. I guess he doest not recommend  HRT or anything to do with hormones, because I have a history of calcification in my breast and skin cancer(melanoma). He told me that checking my blood levels of hormones would not tell him anything because I still have my periods. I do not know where to go. My OB is convinced that my mental issues have to be handled by Pdoc not OB or endocrinologist. What do you think I should do about my hormone fluctuation issue? I feel lost. I am not getting any help from any of my doctors. I am asking you this question, because I feel you have a lot of knowledge since you've been through pre-menapause. I know you are not a doctor, you are working and busy and I really admire you for being able to work while tapering  and going through menopause. It's probably very difficult. I lost my job, because I could not even drive to work due to sleep deprivation and my performance at work suffered to the point that I could not do anything.

What do you think about phytoestrogens (plant based estrogens found in flax seeds, chia seeds, bee pollen, bee propolis, bee royal jelly). Do you know anything about them and if they can help to regulate hormones. There a lot of contradicting info online about them. Phytoestrogens are everywhere including common foods

I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Jacky :smitten:

Hi Jacky

My s/x have been pretty good. I won't say that it's been completely plain sailing, but mostly I have found that the s/x got worse when I would get impatient and increase my daily cuts, or when my dose got lower and I needed to adjust the rate I was cutting. Finding your optimum cut rate is always tricky. I think the best thing is to start lower than you think you need to, and work your way up, rather than start too high and get hit with s/x, and then have to hold.

Regarding your peri meno issues, I don't like to recommend too much, because it's always best to discuss it with your doctor. His caution is common with some doctors though, but there are things that I've read that indicate that HRT being denied to women who are prone to cancer issues is an over-reaction.

I'm also of the opinion that a woman should make her own choices, and a doctor should abide by her decisions. There is no evidence that HRT actually causes cancer, but let's say it did. From my own experiences I would take the chance of getting something nasty in say 10 or 20 years time, if I had no meno symptoms now. It's all about quality over quantity as far as I'm concerned. I would rather have 20 years of happiness rather than 40 years of misery. However, other women may have a different opinion.

He is right that it is difficult to tell what's going on by blood tests alone, because our hormone levels fluctuate so much on a daily basis. Most doctors tend to go by symptoms, rather than tests.

I personally don't have a high opinion of phytoestrogens because I went to a naturopath who treated me with them, and they were useless, and I ended becoming dependant on valium. The studies I have read indicate that any benefits they have are only as a placebo, but as some would say, if a placebo is working for you, then who’s to say it's useless.

I'm sorry you don't seem to have any doctors who are helping you out. I guess my only advice is to try to find a doctor who is willing to consider prescribing some hormone therapy, but only if you are happy to try it.

The other thing I would recommend is to check out the links I have in my signature, particularly the ones of Dr Elizabet Vliet. She is Wonder Woman as far as I'm concerned. She has a really good book (although it is a bit hard to get though) called "Screaming to be Heard". She also has a couple of other books, which I know you can get on Amazon.

It's an individual thing, but I save mine for the next day. If it's less complicated for you to not bother about it, then you could throw it out, and just use a new batch each day, but I hate wasting benzo tablets..lol...

If you wanted to save it, just make up a new batch, measure what you can out of the old batch and top it up with the new batch. 

Once you start tapering you will get to a point where one batch will be lasting you a number of days, so that's when you need to consider the spoilage of the milk, but I'm sure if it's really fresh milk that you use, you should be able to easily get up to about 4-5 days out of a batch before you would need to worry about it going off.

btw - I noticed your question on the valium thread about what alternatives you could use. A lot of people find that things like soy, almond, rice milk etc work quite well. The main thing is to make sure the fat content is similar to whole milk, because it's the fat that you need to help suspend the valium.

So I have been looking around, nothing has the same fat content  as whole milk.  It has 8% and the next best I can find is like 3.5%. 

Dear Diaz-pam,

Thank you very much for your response. I'll look into suggested books. Another question: did you use or currently use any supplements to help you with w/d s/x. There are a lot contradictory info about it on BB. I am taking ltheanine and it helps me a little bit with my depression, anxiety and insomnia. According to Ashton, we are not supposed to use any supps, especially Gaba agonists. Info about ltheanine online is also contradictory. Some studies concluded it is Gaba agonist, other studies say it helps in releasing Gaba.

For you personally, anything was helpful or you are not using anything. What is your opinion on using supplements while tapering and after taper is completed?

Thanks for your support.

So I have been looking around, nothing has the same fat content  as whole milk.  It has 8% and the next best I can find is like 3.5%. 

I could be totally wrong, but I thought whole milk had 4%? I hope someone else chimes in here, because I don't really have a lot of experience with using milk substitutes. I only used whole milk for about a month before switching to liquid valium, but I do know that others have had success using milk substitutes.

Perhaps you could post your question as another thread or in another section, to get more responses.

Dear Diaz-pam,

Thank you very much for your response. I'll look into suggested books. Another question: did you use or currently use any supplements to help you with w/d s/x. There are a lot contradictory info about it on BB. I am taking ltheanine and it helps me a little bit with my depression, anxiety and insomnia. According to Ashton, we are not supposed to use any supps, especially Gaba agonists. Info about ltheanine online is also contradictory. Some studies concluded it is Gaba agonist, other studies say it helps in releasing Gaba.

For you personally, anything was helpful or you are not using anything. What is your opinion on using supplements while tapering and after taper is completed?

Thanks for your support.

My experiences with supplements have been many and varied, and with varying results. I now keep clear of Vitamin C and Seriphos. Magnesium has proved to be temperamental with me. No matter what I try they all give me the runs, or seem to rev me up.

The only supplements that I know take regularly are Vit D3 and Omega 3 which I take in the morning. My doctor has just recommended I take an iron tablet once a week, which I'm a bit nervous about taking, but I'm taking it in the morning too, so hopefully it won't have any effect on my sleep.

The only things that I've found to be consistently helpful for my sleep issues, when I have trouble, are doxylamine and a low dose AD, but I only take these things as needed and I also alternate them so I don't get dependant on either of them.

These are the things that I take and I find helpful however, of course, everyone is different.

• 1 month later...
[cb...]

Hi, everyone. I just c/o completely to 10mg valium. I find this thread very informative. Thanks for all ur advice.

For cutting pills: x-acto knife worked well for me-put the pill on a small plate, and get on my reading glasses!

Supplement: I have read sev articles that say benzos deplete Biotin, so I bought Naturemade and take one of  those every other day or so, seems to help.

Good luck to all!

• 1 month later...

hi diaz pam i think the liquid v has alcohol in it (no can do) and i read over your liquid v instructions in agony as i am dysfunctional now and all i have are 5mg pills for the next several months, and i can't think straight to try to figure out how i could do a daily micro taper with 5mg pills starting with 12mg (6mg twice daily) or 12.5mg (6/25mg twice daily) right now, i'm somwhere? ... around 12mg daily so i could start there but i'm confused. 

i know how to do liquid titrations as i have done it before and made a video on it that is a sticky in the titration section (and in my signature) , but my condition has declined so bad since then, i can't figure all this out how i would do this?  too much sleep deprivation and depression and symptoms and so on.

i would like to figure out an easy formula to reduce micro cuts using the 5mg pills.  then, later on down the road when i get the 2mg pills (around august?) i could use the 2's instead.  don't know if it is possible to do an accurate liquid valium taper with 5mg pills or how?  i just too dysfunctional now to figure out what i used to teach others.  i always used the klonopin and got used to that, but never did the valium.

i think the liquid v has alcohol in it (no can do)

If you're in the US, the Roxane Diazpeam Oral Solution does not have alcohol.  The Roxane Diazepam Intensol (concentrate) has 19% alcohol.

Hi Kian

There's no reason why you can't use the 5mg tablets. You just need to work with what you have to make a suitable ratio mixture. I use the 1:100 ratio, but you can also use a 1:10 ratio - whichever you find the best for you.

For a 1:100 ratio, if you are using 5mg tablets, that would just mean that instead of it being 1mg with 100ml of milk, you would put 5mg with 500ml of milk. Now of course that's a lot of milk, so you could try using half a tablet, which would be 2.5mg with 250ml of milk. As long as you keep the other half tablet for your next batch there shouldn't be too many problems with cutting the tablet in half. You could also try a quarter of a tablet, which would be 1.25mg with 125ml of milk, but the more times you cut a tablet the more chance there is of inaccuracies, so just keep that in mind, but maybe it's worth trying - at least until you can get the 2mg tablets.

Then once you've got your mixture made up, you would just reduce it by the number of mls per day that you think would be best for you. For example, if you decided you wanted to do a 0.04mg reduction per day, that would be 4ml if you are using a 1:100 ratio.

As for the alcohol in the liquid valium, just remember that you are using a very small amount each time (usually 1ml), so the amount of alcohol in it is very tiny.

I Kian

There's no reason why you can't use the 5mg tablets. You just need to work with what you have to make a suitable ratio mixture. I use the 1:100 ratio, but you can also use a 1:10 ratio - whichever you find the best for you.

For a 1:100 ratio, if you are using 5mg tablets, that would just mean that instead of it being 1mg with 100ml of milk, you would put 5mg with 500ml of milk. Now of course that's a lot of milk, so you could try using half a tablet, which would be 2.5mg with 250ml of milk. As long as you keep the other half tablet for your next batch there shouldn't be too many problems with cutting the tablet in half. You could also try a quarter of a tablet, which would be 1.25mg with 125ml of milk, but the more times you cut a tablet the more chance there is of inaccuracies, so just keep that in mind, but maybe it's worth trying - at least until you can get the 2mg tablets.

Then once you've got your mixture made up, you would just reduce it by the number of mls per day that you think would be best for you. For example, if you decided you wanted to do a 0.04mg reduction per day, that would be 4ml if you are using a 1:100 ratio.

As for the alcohol in the liquid valium, just remember that you are using a very small amount each time (usually 1ml), so the amount of alcohol in it is very tiny.

diaz pam

may i please ask you to do me a huge favor?  thx u for writing these instructions.  i have gone so long w/o sleep and so severe now i honestly cant think to figure this out.

there is no hurry if you agree to this but could you actually type up literal step by step instructions for me to start at 12.5mg daily split up into two doses?  if i updose back to 12.5mg daily, then, i could cut the 5mg pills into quarters and for each dose i could take a 5mg pill, plus the liquid i make from a 1/2 pill, remove the daily cut, then split the dose in two?  i think?  then, i could use 1/4 pill in the liquid later and so on? ??? honest, i can't think stright to do this.  it is like i need to see it written out literally step by step.  i don't know how to explain my condition now.  i would probably use raw milk.  would milk be more accurate than water?

honest i not trying to take advantage of you.  my condition is that bad.  really andhtere is no hurry.  i could just start back on the 1 1/4 5mg pills now (twice daily)  (if you can show me how to do this) and just do 12.5mg per day dry until you can get me the step by step literal instructions?  would you be willing to go this far to help me.  honest.  i really am that bad.  i dont even know if i will be able to do this.  i need to try to do this w/o liquid v too expensive n alcohol i in such bad shape not even a molecule of alcohol for me.  i want to use 1/4 of a pill is 1.25mg or 1/2 pill is 2.5mg? not sure which is best for twice deaily dose?.  i dont know what reduction is small?  4ml per day?  has to be very clear literal step by step in detail or i cannot understand to do it and too much dread agitation fear and sleep deprivation to think anyting through.  i know i asking a lot but could you "be me" and do my formula for me to see literally?  i have syringe and jar.  i just need to get some raw milk cuz w/ liquid taper other milk make me sick.  u think more accurate and less settle with milk than water?  pls let me knw what u can do.  honest i really am that bad.  honest.                            :-[ :'(

ps do you thnk cream would work better than whole milk? 

Of course I'll try to help you work out a plan. So you want to start at 12.5mg, and you are happy to cut your tablets into quarters, if necessary, and you are dosing twice a day - just so I've got all that clear in my head..lol.....

I'll work it out using a 0.04mg daily cut. That will work out to being a 4.5% cut every 2 weeks, which hopefully will be a nice low figure to start on. After a while you might be able to increase it, but I think we need to be cautious to start out.

Have you given any thought to whether you want to taper off both doses at a time, or one at a time? You probably don't need to make a decision about that at the moment.

Give me a little bit of time and I'll see what I can come up with.

btw - the milk vs water with tablets thing has been a bit controversial recently, but all the smart people on BB say water is a no-no, so I believe them..lol...  As for cream - really not too sure about that one. In theory I guess it would work well, but I'm not sure if it would be too thick for a syringe. Perhaps some of our "smart" people could weigh in on that one.

diaz pam

thank you    :'( :'( :'(

i want to cut both doses at the same time so they even each day.  plesaa take u time.  no rush.  not sure if suppose to use 1/2 pill or 1/4 pill i two separate batch?  maybe use 1/2 pill in one batch?  i dont know what to do?  i just want easiest way to prepare and to be able to have even doses every day.  take u time and i thx u honest i do!            please make it so clear like for a little dumb child.  i cant think right.  i have graduated cylinder too?  ithk milk best too

yes, want to start out slow and most likely stay slow! small cuts

I'm thinking 1/2 tablet in one batch, which will avoid cutting your tablets too many times, but I'll nut it all out on a piece of paper first and come back in a little while. :)

Total dose – 12.5mg (AM – 6.25mg / PM – 6.25mg)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Place ½ x 5mg tablet (2.5mg) in 250ml of whole milk. Mix well.

AM dose

Take 5mg tablet + half the 250ml mixture (125ml)

PM dose

Take 5mg tablet + half the 250ml mixture (125ml)

This will be a total of 12.5mg. Keep doing this until you feel you are ready to start tapering.

I have worked out this plan using a daily reduction of 0.04mg (or 4ml of milk mixture). This will be approximately a 4.5% reduction every 2 weeks. The daily reduction has been split over the two daily doses (ie reducing 0.02mg or 2ml with each dose).

Day 1 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 123ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 123ml milk mixture

Day 2 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 121ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 121ml milk mixture

Day 3 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 119ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 119ml milk mixture

Day 4 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 117ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 117ml milk mixture

Day 5 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 115ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 115ml milk mixture

Day 6 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 113ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 113ml milk mixture

Day 7 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 111ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 111ml milk mixture

Day 8 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 109ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 109ml milk mixture

Day 9 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 107ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 107ml milk mixture

Day 10 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 105ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 105ml milk mixture

Day 11 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 103ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 103ml milk mixture

Day 12 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 101ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 101ml milk mixture

Day 13 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 99ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 99ml milk mixture

Day 14 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 97ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 97ml milk mixture

Day 15 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 95ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 95ml milk mixture

Day 16 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 93ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 93ml milk mixture

Day 17 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 91ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 91ml milk mixture

Day 18 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 89ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 89ml milk mixture

Day 19 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 87ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 87ml milk mixture

Day 20 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 85ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 85ml milk mixture

Day 21 – AM Dose – 5mg tablet + 83ml milk mixture / PM Dose – 5mg tablet + 83ml milk mixture

I have just done a schedule for 3 weeks, because at that time (or sooner if you have problems) you may want to review the reduction you are making to see if you need to increase or decrease it. If you do, and if you still need help working it out, we can revisit things then.

If you have any questions just yell. :)

I would like to ask others reading this post to check all my calculations, in case I’ve made a mistake.

diaz pam  you good at this.  i can also hold as needed right?

i am in such despair now i can't think of how to thank you so i just say thank you.            :'(

just placed order for 1/2 gal raw a2 milk from gersey cow grass fed.  if i use 250 ml each 1/2 gal will last me 1 week?  i think.

much love  kian

Yes, definitely hold if you feel you need to. If you feel you need to hold within the first week or two though, we might need to review that 0.04mg cut, because it might be too much.

There is absolutely no need to thank me. You already know how to do all this, but you just need a bit of help at the moment to work it out. When you're feeling better you will be able to start helping other people too. It's all about paying it forward around here..lol..

Hopefully that updose will help settle things for you. Just hold there for as long as you need to, and it will give you a good chance to practice with the tablets and milk. Then, when you feel better and more confident, you can start making those cuts.

The way I see it, we all have a predetermined amount of time for healing, and therefore we only have two choices to make. We can either go fast to get the actual taper over and done with, but probably suffer the entire time we are tapering and also continue to suffer for an undetermined amount of time afterwards until we heal. Or we can go slow, taper at a rate that our bodies find acceptable, thereby giving us either no or manageable symptoms and allowing us to live a relatively normal life. Then when we finally step off at the end we are almost healed, or for some people fully healed.

This is a great thread.  I love this paragraph.

Hi DP.

I think I will try the 0.02ml liquid taper. Can you say what % that would be?

I will use  half a 2mg tablet,  so that's  1mg in 100ml of liquid, right. I will pull 0.02ml out and toss it  and drink the rest,

I hope that's right.

Thanks for the help,  it's appreciated.

I was taking 10 mgs of Diazepam daily.  (5 mgs in AM and 5 mgs in PM)  This doctor had no clue as to how to taper nor the dangers of benzos.  I was put on Valium several years ago because of seizures.  I did my own research and found out MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) was causing my seizures.  Luckily, I refused brain surgery.  A pharmacist alerted me that I was on 3 benzos at the same time.  My girlfriend noticed I would have a seizure whenever I stopped one of the drugs CT.  I had no idea cutting a benzo caused seizures.  Again, trial and error led me to the truth of the evils of benzos. 

I now have a Dr. helping wean from 10 mgs diazapam.  I have switched over to liquid titration.  I take 1.3 mls three times per day.  (6AM, 2PM and 10PM).  That equates to 3.9 mls per day.  How much does that equate to in mgs.? 

He wanted me to go back to taking 1.90 mls three times per day which equated to 5.7 mls per day.  He wanted me to stay at 1.90 mls per day for 14 days and then taper down to 1.85 ml for 14 days.  I know this is to rapid of a drop.  I did not tell him I stayed at 3.9 mls rather than go back up to 5.7 mls as he suggested. 

When I tried to come down just a tiny bit from my 2 PM dose, I experienced bad withdrawals.  When I told him I had bad withdrawals, he said it was due to me cutting only the 2 PM dose oppose to tapering evenly.  In other words, when I taper, I should do it evenly at each time of the three daily doses.  Hmm?

I am using a liquid compound diazepam.  I use a 1 ml syringe.  I hope my calculations are correct and making sense.  At what rate should I hold before tapering down and by how much to make my withdrawals minimal?  Which dose should I start tapering from, or should I trying a tapering from each dose as my Dr. suggests?  I didn't want to go back up to the 5.7 mls as he suggested.  It's like starting all over.  Should I experience withdrawals from so low a taper as I did?  I dropped the 2 PM does one notch only.  There are five notches between each number on the 1 ML syringe, i.e, 1 five notches, 2 five notches, 3 five notches, etc. to ten which equals 1 ml. 

I'd appreciate any help.  I am in bad shape. Thanking you in advance.

Humbledone  :-[

I now have a Dr. helping wean from 10 mgs diazapam.  I have switched over to liquid titration.  I take 1.3 mls three times per day.  (6AM, 2PM and 10PM).  That equates to 3.9 mls per day.  How much does that equate to in mgs.? 

I am using a liquid compound diazepam. 

We cannot tell you the relationship between 3.9 ml to mg unless you tell us the ratio of diazepam to liquid in your "liquid compound diazepam".

For example, I am using a pharma-grade liquid diazepam that has 1 mg per ml,, and I dilute it 9:1 (10% solution), so in my case 3.9 ml would = .39 mg.

What is the concentration of your liquid?

Hi DP.

I think I will try the 0.02ml liquid taper. Can you say what % that would be?

I will use  half a 2mg tablet,  so that's  1mg in 100ml of liquid, right. I will pull 0.02ml out and toss it  and drink the rest,

I hope that's right.

Thanks for the help,  it's appreciated.

Hi Wanna

I don't worry too much about %, but if you reduce by 0.02mg for 14 days that will be a total reduction of 0.28mg which would be a 7% reduction from 4mg. It's probably a good amount to start with, but you will need to just watch out for anything that might mean you need to do a hold. Don't ever be worried about holding. Even when you're doing a daily taper you still may need to hold from time to time.

You've got the general idea right, but because you are using a 100ml mixture, you need to move the decimal point. So you would need to pull 2ml and discard. That is equivalent to 0.02mg. (ie 1ml x 100 = 100ml .... so ... 0.02ml x 100 = 2ml)