FAMILY MEMBER/PARTNERS SUPPORT THREAD

[pa...]

erin, on your comment about live support I agree not only for family members but also those going through WD.  Have a great weekend

Pardner

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [er...]

• [Mr...]

• [Mr...]

• [pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

mrubar,

going back and forth with you like this-  I wish I could drive over to your house in my pajamas (it's nighttime here on the east coast of the u.s.) and have  a cup of coffee and discuss this all night...  I guess, virtually, we are doing just that.  I so appreciate you taking the time to write and hearing how much you care- it comes through in your words.

may we all have strength

erin

Erin, that would be nice, I am on an East Coast too. I appreciate everyone taking time and posting here or responding to my pm's - it gives me some perspective of how others go through this ordeal.

I just finished talking to my Mom on the phone. This month (5th) after jump off is really ugly. I am tired but what choice do I have?

I do care about Her, you do care about your husband and everyone is here because we DO care.

It is uniting us that we can understand each other and people from our "outside" benzo world never can.

The loneliness of these black, overwhelming with fear and despair feelings are alienating us from everyone in "outside" world.

I am glad you have your family support. I have noticed because of what I am emotionally involved into - my friends, one after another feel abandoned and disappointed. Maybe even betrayed because of the amount of time and attention I give to my Mom. I am not free anymore, I am in terror of the wd, even being on another continent. My life is consumed by it, inside I am frightened and worried that I will never be myself again.  Traumatising like this experience makes my son's live less happy, less full. I am not fighting for my career seing how much my Mom needs me on the telephone every day. I will go back to my Mom in April to be with Her, so she might feel less alone. My brother visits Her daily and helps Her keep daily activities going right but he comes and goes and She feels empty. Maybe the time will heal it, maybe our visit will help too.

Have a good weekend, hang on my friend, you are a strong and determined warrior. It helps me to fight for my Mom's benzo-free life when I read your posts. Thanks for posting. Mrubar

Hi all I guess this is the forum for me to vent.  My wife is continuing with her struggle this is going on for over 4 years.  Our daughter is getting married in June and its causing my wife to regret not being able to feel better and enjoy the things that go with this event.  As you know from being a support person this does get old.  I keep telling her everyone heals, its hard to believe a little pill can cause so much damage.  Just remind me everyone does heal and this will come to and end.

I work out regularly and work to keep my social connections.  Are there things that you find work for you to keep your balance?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

All the best.

Pardner

Dear Pardner,

I was thinking since you post this if my "method" would help and now I decided it might so I will try to describe it. In my country history we were always cheated by allies, attacked by neighbours and sold out by traitors.

Still, in people hearts the love to our country, which was humble and accepting others regardless of theirs differences (during the Protestant movement in Europe everyone expelled for religion prosecution could find home in my country, we let people be who they chose and let them celebrate theirs beliefs their way).

I do see in the history many heroic acts, despite of hopeless circumstances. National uprisings (like January uprising in 1863),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_Uprising

underground fight with aggressors, hope through concentration camps and opposition toward despair.

I feel united with my national spirit, historical background, my family involvement in many honourable battles on a battlefield or workplaces, or social relationships. 

It makes me stronger to know we choose to fight BAD.

Besides of calling to my own country history I often relate to C.S. Lewis books, even some of his children books, filmed in recent years.

I reach to my faith in God Who is giving us a sword to fight with benzo-trauma. The sword we often don't know how to use but holding it up with faith helps to win the inner battles of sadness and depression, hopelessness and weariness.

Story of Job is another one to reach to.

If someone doesn't believe in God - they may sense the good in another dimension - it is good to cling to it and recharge our hearts.

Everything what is noble, exposed to innocent suffering  in someone's faith or history or family history or personal pre-benzo experience would add the endurance for these hard times now.

Hang in there, Pardner. Just wait a little bit longer. Mrubar

Hi Y'all again from TX,

Thanks for the sites referencing how to support someone in BW. They really helped me understand the dos and don't of support.

Also, it is comforting to hear other family members are experiencing similar issues.

At present my son asks me to leave almost every time I go over to visit, even if I bring him treats. He is very uncommunicative, so I don't

really know precisely what is going on. He never ever speaks of the symptoms he still has. He frequently shakes like a leaf and holds

his head in his hands or covers up his face with his t-shirt and refuses to say anything to me. He still has agoraphobia and has not left his

apartment since end of March 2013. He still seems very very depressed.  I really don't know precisely what is going on and maybe it doesn't

matter since time seems to be the only cure.

Still hanging in there. TD

thanks, mrubar.  thanks, pardner.

hub was awful last couple of days.  kept saying, "i'm doomed, i'm doomed".  sliding backwards.  (today, more clarity).  anyway, what you said about live support-  in previous posts i have said we have to be careful because of the public nature of my husband's job- who we tell, what we share.  very recently i ended up telling a friend/coworker of mine most of the story.  the two of us were alone in the office yesterday and she asked how things were going and it was a truly awful morning and i started to cry and she held me and said that she loves me and god loves me and my family.    it was just what i needed.

for all of us, as you put it, mrubar- we are CONSUMED by the effects of these drugs on our loved ones.  we are indeed neglecting friendships, alienating people, putting important goals on hold.  i very often feel like my hub's situation is this family's number one priority.  and that, my friends, seems so wrong.

hang in there, td. you're a special mom- know that.  i pray your son will come around soon.

sending love

erin

Dear Erin

i very often feel like my hub's situation is this family's number one priority.  and that, my friends, seems so wrong.

Being on the other end of situation, i expected you to say "and that my friend is what it needs to be".

of course your situation with young children changes priorities.

I am so thankful that my husband made my healing the number one priority.

It has taken a large toll on us financially, but with health comes the Opportunity to rebuild.

Therefore, health came before everything. Without it there is nothing.

I am not yet healed but I am no longer a burden and I am contributing again.

I hope that your family makes it through this in one piece.

I am sorry that my words are not so eloquently spoken.

I am not expecting you to agree with me.

but I chose to write this anyways.

Carol

you hit it, carol- the young children thing changes everything.

what is so wrong is that these years my family's focus should be on our kids- most of our energy, resources, planning, money, care, attention, etc.  and when my children get literally thrown out of the w ay because of this crap with my husband- well, it's just plain wrong.  if you've been following my posts, you will see that my kids are my life.  and that, maybe, maybe, other than the initial taking of the benzos (even then, I begged my hub to be smart and not start with these unnecessary drugs)  my hub took a lot of liberties and initiated  betrayals and took a lot of willing missteps to make the mess we are in much, much greater than it had to be.

so, yes, even tho, when my hub is being crazy, it eclipses anything else going on in my house- that is upside down and NOT the way it should be. not even close.

you are more than welcome to say how you feel.  and, tho my opinion may be unpopular- I still maintain that children should be a family's number one priority - always.

I wish you continued healing and all the good things in life.

erin

Erin

My focus was Always! my children also. I do understand this position .

when our daughter was born 27 years ago, I came to a juncture that require me to make a stand for my children's sake. It was an ultimatum that I gave my husband that meant splitting the family up if he did not comply.

It was a toxic situation and I knew that it was no way to raise happy balances kids.

Thankfully it worked out and we are still together.

I did my best to provide the stability and guidance to them that I thought was necessary.

I guess what I was asking myself and then you, was that would the kids be worse off in the long run without the family unit including their father? (not saying this is where you are headed)

Or living in a family unit that conquered some pretty horrific times and managed to keep the family intact somehow.

I am glad that we were able to keep ours intact.

Love Carol

hey carol

in earlier posts I mentioned that I made arrangements for my husband to stay for a time with close relatives in another state- he was no longer welcome to have crazy, out of control tantrums in our home.  I did not make any long term decisions, but I did not want my kids freaked out on a daily basis. 

I hear what you are saying and I know in our situation, at this stage in our lives, it is important to keep the family unit intact.  if the kids were babies-or grown- might be a different story.  but my goal is to keep my kids' lives as stable as possible through this mess.

I am glad things worked out for your family.  with us, time will tell...

keep up the improvements.  all the best

erin

hello all...mr linn here.....will be moving back into our house jan 3rd.....been out 7 months.....long story.....linn holding at 7mg V/day.........will be posting more when back in normal conditions praying and hoping for all of you .......mr linn

Hey Linns'... 

Just catching up with everyone.  So happy you are back in your new home.  I'm sure it was strange, but so wonderful.  So, give us an update of your new home and how all is.  Know our thoughts and prayers are with you both.  How is your sweet dog being in his new home?

Hugs, Pattu

Wanted to chime it to say that Mrs.P's progress continues in a positive direction.  She has reduced down to .07 mg K from 2.5 in 2011.  It has been a slow and painful process, but she is thrilled with seeing the vestiges of normalcy come back into her life.  The PTSD we both suffer from as a result of the process pales in comparison to the stupifying agony of the withdrawal nightmare when it is done in haste.  Hope is a wonderful thing.

Mr. P

Hi Mr. P.  Just catching up on all.  So happy to hear Mrs. P's progress is going forward in a positive direction.  Wonderful, with the reductions.  Yes, a slow and painful process, though she and you are seeing the results.  The PTSD... it is one whammy, though as you state, it does pale in comparison.  All just takes time, though, we all get there.  We crawl and then learn to walk again, then we are upright and ready, and go forward to LIFE attained again.  We're not quite there yet, but almost.  It's one journey, as you understand.

Best of thoughts, blessings and prayers to you both. 

Always, Patty

(P.S.  How old is that puppy and kitten now?)

Hi Y'all again from TX,

Thanks for the sites referencing how to support someone in BW. They really helped me understand the dos and don't of support.

Also, it is comforting to hear other family members are experiencing similar issues.

At present my son asks me to leave almost every time I go over to visit, even if I bring him treats. He is very uncommunicative, so I don't

really know precisely what is going on. He never ever speaks of the symptoms he still has. He frequently shakes like a leaf and holds

his head in his hands or covers up his face with his t-shirt and refuses to say anything to me. He still has agoraphobia and has not left his

apartment since end of March 2013. He still seems very very depressed.  I really don't know precisely what is going on and maybe it doesn't

matter since time seems to be the only cure.

Still hanging in there. TD

Hi TD,

So glad you read the threads BW provided you.  It's so important to understand this process, as it is hard to understand, unless you gain the knowledge in reading all.  You have a grasp on this now.

I understand the horror of this for you and your son.  I can only share that this will turn around in time.  Your son, due to the cold turkey off the meds, he is suffering and cannot even with a thought process connect that he can or will become well, and believes that he has dementia or some terrible illness.  That's what this creates, the wds.  If one has never experienced this, they have no idea how it can or should be this way.  It takes reading, and grasping onto the understanding to try to get a grip about it, though that will be minimal.  But, at least one can try and accept.

You can try everything you can at this point, but due to the cold turkey, he is still too ill.  My suggestion, is take a different approach, as the one (and you were correct), is not working.  Go in a different direction.  Just give him a hug, tell him, he is ill from the drug and leave it at that.  Tell him, when you are ready, I give you some information to read about it, from others going through the same.  I think with going in this direction, you might gain his attention more. 

He'll get there... His system has been too temporarily damaged from the cold turkey, he is too ill and he cannot connect.  Your son will get there, why?  The reason, is he is off the drug.  Unfortunately, he has to go through the horror of the severe wds from the c/turkey, and that is the worse.

Take good care.  I'm proud of you that you read the threads BW gave you... and you have more understanding.  Hang in there TD... You will get your son back... Stay strong as you are able to through this.

P

Dear Erin

i very often feel like my hub's situation is this family's number one priority.  and that, my friends, seems so wrong.

Being on the other end of situation, i expected you to say "and that my friend is what it needs to be".

It has taken a large toll on us financially, but with health comes the Opportunity to rebuild.

Carol

Hi Dear C,

As always, from one on the other side of the fence you provide so much direction, and that was always so appreciated by so many on the other Family Thread.  You give insight.

Your words are so meaningful and always eloquent, please do not second guess yourself one bit.  You have always provided insight, though, it was always with compassion in support, and that is what this forum is about in nutshell.

Anyone can go to the other thread ,see it was only that, always through with what everyone who posted, whether that be a supporter, caregiver or one like you going through this journey.  Nothing other then support, and that is what this site is totally about. 

As BW, a mother of five... look how she never being one on that other side of the fence, just look how she shared how she helped her family journey through this.  BW came by my side after a few months of me being on this site.  She is a teacher through this process, as a mother of five wonderful children.  She taught them, after she read and found out.... this is an illness from these drugs, and they, with her knowledge of all, guided them all to forge ahead as a family, but together.  She taught them, and they learned from it all. Sheltering anyone from this is not the answer, just as she has shown and proved.  Her children learned, and from that, their family not only bonded more together, but their children's lives became more full from the experience in approach of life.

You, Carol... you are a wonderful teacher also.  Thank you for always being a part of this support thread.  You've always been the very best for one and all. 

Blessings, with healing always for you.

Love, P, 

Dear Erin

Carol

Hi Dear C,

As always, from one on the other side of the fence you provide so much direction, and that was always so appreciated by so many on the other Family Thread.  You give insight.

Your words are so meaningful and always eloquent, please do not second guess yourself one bit.  You have always provided insight, though, it was always with compassion in support, and that is what this forum is about in nutshell.

Anyone can go to the other thread ,see it was only that, always through with what everyone who posted, whether that be a supporter, caregiver or one like you going through this journey.  Nothing other then support, and that is what this site is totally about. 

As BW, a mother of five... look how she never being one on that other side of the fence, just look how she shared how she helped her family journey through this.  BW came by my side after a few months of me being on this site.  She is a teacher through this process, as a mother of five wonderful children.  She taught them, after she read and found out.... this is an illness from these drugs, and they, with her knowledge of all, guided them all to forge ahead as a family, but together.  She taught them, and they learned from it all. Sheltering anyone from this is not the answer, just as she has shown and proved.  Her children learned, and from that, their family not only bounded more together, but their children's lives became more full from the experience in approach of life.

You, Carol... you are a wonderful teacher also.  Thank you for always being a part of this support thread.  You've always been the very best for one and all. 

Love, P,

Oh thank you for this Patty

I wrote a reply on another thread that I had hoped would be useful to someone.

With the reply that came back, I questioned whether I should be passing on some of what I have lived / learned in the last 3 years or should I only say the usual platitude of "hang on you will be all right" and quell fears with sometimes unrealistic hope.

If that is all I have left in me, then it is time to stay in the safety and comfort of the Buddieblogs.

Anyways, thank you.

Love Carol

Here is my question of the day.  The new year has not been a good one for my wife.  Symptoms for my wife have been intense, she says as bad as ever, but the primary ones are, depression, anxiety and obsessive thinking.  Is there a gentle way to remind her that even with all of this happening she has survived this and nothing bad has happened to her? 

When I think about it I can't come up with a way that doesn't sound like "just snap out of it".  Any thoughts?

Pardner

Here is my question of the day.  The new year has not been a good one for my wife.  Symptoms for my wife have been intense, she says as bad as ever, but the primary ones are, depression, anxiety and obsessive thinking.  Is there a gentle way to remind her that even with all of this happening she has survived this and nothing bad has happened to her? 

When I think about it I can't come up with a way that doesn't sound like "just snap out of it".  Any thoughts?

Pardner

Pardner,

My wife suffered intensely through this stage of  her healing.  She was hyper vigilant and terrified of everything.  Doom and gloom suffused every part of our lives.  Keep in mind, these symptoms were present after her reinstatement and persisted well into her taper.  What we found, however, is that eventually windows would appear.  Usually they were followed by severe waves.  But each subsequent window was at a higher level.  This began to give  her some hope.  Now, when she has a wave she can easily discount it as a passing cost of the healing process.  When things were intense, she did tell me that is was helpful to hear that things were not all bad, that change was coming.  She didn't always believe it, but I think she benefited from hearing it.  How do you say it without the "snap out of it" quality you absolutely have to avoid?  Do what you are doing now.  Be gentle, patient, attentive to everything.  It is not even vaguely easy.  Just remember, she can't help feeling that way.  Her damaged brain is healing and will eventually become clear to the potential of life, not the hopelessness.  I wish there was something obvious to tell you, some simple "trick" to use.  Nope.  You are now tasked with providing the calm, the hope, the reason to press on.  And one day, you can put that burden down. 

Mr. P

Mr. P, thanks for the insight.  Always good, I guess like her I also need to know I am doing the right thing in support. 

Thanks

Pardner

Dear Erin

Carol

Hi Dear C,

As BW, a mother of five... look how she never being one on that other side of the fence, just look how she shared how she helped her family journey through this.  BW came by my side after a few months of me being on this site.  She is a teacher through this process, as a mother of five wonderful children.  She taught them, after she read and found out.... this is an illness from these drugs, and they, with her knowledge of all, guided them all to forge ahead as a family, but together.  She taught them, and they learned from it all. Sheltering anyone from this is not the answer, just as she has shown and proved.  Her children learned, and from that, their family not only bounded more together, but their children's lives became more full from the experience in approach of life.

Love, P,

Oh thank you for this Patty

I wrote a reply on another thread that I had hoped would be useful to someone.

With the reply that came back, I questioned whether I should be passing on some of what I have lived / learned in the last 3 years or should I only say the usual platitude of "hang on you will be all right" and quell fears with sometimes unrealistic hope.

If that is all I have left in me, then it is time to stay in the safety and comfort of the Buddieblogs.

Anyways, thank you.

Love Carol

I also wished to say that I have learned a lot from this thread.

To see the suffering from the opposite side- the caregivers and families .

the devastation drags everyone in.

thank you again Pattylu for starting and maintaining this thread.

Love

Carol

Dear All,

I am just stopping by with my Mom's monthly recovery summary. Now She enters the months number 6th, which many people describe as turning point of recovery so, we will see.

I classify day as "good" when none or only one brain function is  disrupted, "ok" when many are, but still my Mom is able to maintain daily basic activities, "bad" when She needs help significantly (like the most often - She won't eat because "she is not hungry", or She forgets and interprets things wrong), "intensely bad"- when the "bad" is wired up by panic, high anxiety and significant loss of orientation.

1: 7 good, 12 ok, 11 bad

2: 4 good, 16 ok, 11 bad

3: 6 good, 11 ok, 14 bad (3 intensely bad in it)

4. 9 good, 17 ok, 4 bad (1 intensely bad in it)

5.    7 good, 11 ok, 12 bad (3 intensely bad in it)

As you see, month 5th was about the same like 3rd, much worse then 4th.

Still, communication with Her is better most of the time, both for me and my brother.

I hope everyone else here heals well and progresses toward freedom.

Have a good weekend, Mrubar

Pardner

Dear Pardner,

My Mom is going through all of these symptoms too. NOTHING what I say helps. I think rational thinking is out of use in here. They are feeling so bad that those symptoms show up and will remain until next brain healing stage will take place. Most of the time I am trying to not ignore Her feelings while trying to attract Her thoughts to something else (not always works). It doesn't help that the weather there became the most severely cold right now so SHe cannot go for a long walk and burn some of the energy like that.

I agree with Mr. Potato, you do everything well, be with her, be gentle and compassionate. I think it does make a difference for her that you are listening and being present there. Mrubar

Hello y'all,

My son is 11 months benzo free after a CT of 7 days in the hospital.

I recently asked my son to help clean up after himself, put his dishes in the dishwasher and then I would get him the treats that he wants, especially ice cream, milk shakes, and fast food.

I now believe he is capable of putting dishes in the dishwasher.

He is not willing to clean up after himself so I refused to buy him the treats he requests.

Last night he told me he felt like trashing the place after I refused to buy him ice cream.

This morning when I went over to his apartment he had trashed the kitchen. He had emptied boxes of rice, pasta, etc. on the floor and in both sinks. He had cleared out the refrig of things he did not want to eat and had dumpted everything on the floor.

The kitchen was completely unusable. I took out 2 large green garbage bags of trash from the kitchen. He had also dumped grape jelly on the rug.

When I told him this morning his behavior was totally inappropriate and asked him why he did it, he said because he could.

For the past 11 months I have been doing everything for him, cleaning up, doing his laundry, grocery shopping, etc. Everything!

The past few days have not been good for him. I noticed an increase in symptoms.

The family thinks that he was just having a temper tantrum because he told me ahead of time what he was planning on doing and he told me why he did it after the event.

I cleaned everything up while he was asleep because the kitchen was totally unusable. I thinks he is angry and frustrated and this might be benzo withdrawal related. My sister and daughter-in-law think he was having a temper tantrum like a 2 year old and was testing if he could get his way and I would relent and buy him his sugary treats.

We have been bringing him home made pies, spaghetti, etc. so it is not like he never has a home cooked meal.

Now he says he is going to starve himself. Is that statement another manipulation to get his way?

Have you experienced this behavior and what do you think should be my response? Baffled.

Thanks so very much.

Dear TD,

Sugary treats can exaserbate withdrawal symptoms.  We have had to be very careful in how much sugar Mrs. P takes in to accommodate for this. 

Mr. P

hello all...mr linn here after 71/2 months of being "homeless"......back in the house 3 feet higher than befor the flood........ya .......internet now hooked up...ya.....linn at 6mg V......want to say hi to all and going to post more often.......see ya fer now...mr linn

hello all...mr linn here after 71/2 months of being "homeless"......back in the house 3 feet higher than befor the flood........ya .......internet now hooked up...ya.....linn at 6mg V......want to say hi to all and going to post more often.......see ya fer now...mr linn

Welcome home, and welcome back.

Mr. P :)

Hello All,

My boyfriend suffers from GAD and was prescribed xanax.  He's been taking xanax for the past 4 and a half years. His dose was .5mg ( whenever he felt any anxiety ) , soon enough his dose winded up to be 5mg throughout the whole day ( 10 pills of .5 spread throughout the day ). He managed to go back to a dose of 1mg a day ( .5 when he wakes up and .5 before he goes to bed ) this has been his dose for the past 6 months.

He has his ups and downs, now he really wants to stop taking Xanax. I try to keep him as positive as possible , but negative thoughts keep creeping in ( i truly understand its one of the side effects of the drug ) .. I'm trying to get him to eat , sleep and drink plenty of water. His sleeping patterns are off the chart, xanax would help him sleep sometimes , but some days it won't do anything and just gives him nightmares.

He is going to start tapering off soon and i just want to be ready for any symptom he might have.

He has different symptoms such as :

1. Hallucination that lasts a couple of seconds ( only happened yesterday after he was reading about the different symptoms he might experience throughout the withdrawal period , and what scared him the most is the chance of having a seizure )

2. Trouble breathing

3. Dizziness

4. A burning sensation that rises from his stomach to his chest

5. Muscle Jerks

6. Headaches

7. Fear of the Unknown

He's had many more before, but those are the ones hes been having recently

What can i do to support him? How can i ease out his symptoms ? What Worked for the loved ones ?

I am really worried about him, and would do everything it takes to ease this process for him

I Appreciate all the help i can get  :)