Important Survey - Please Participate ×

FAMILY MEMBER/PARTNERS SUPPORT THREAD

[pa...]

It's always very interesting to me to hear and read others perspectives on issues.  Yes, Erin, you have brought to the table much, and there is much to think about it all.  Though, from "my" perspective and others that have posted, having the education of disabilities and being open minded through education of these are a must. 

Let me share something with you Erin.  My sister n laws family have been stricken horribly for generations with schizophrenia  This is not a "mental illness" as you stated. From research from the best research physicians and the best University Hospitals in this country, they found that this is an "organic disease in the brain"...  They found in so many cases, like my sister n laws family, that it crops out in generations.  It's a genetic situation.  The classified diagnosis of being a "mental illness" does not apply.  The brain is an organ, just like every other organ in the body, that can become "ill", and this occurs in this illness.  It is "not" a mental illness as so thought for many years, it is an organic disease of the brain.  This applies to the same for so many other "so called labeled" mental illness.  One day, as research moves further with schizophrenia and other so called "mental illnesses", it will be found that all is through mostly DNA, genetically, and with stem cell research, majority of all illnesses will be able to be turned.

Thankfully you have never seen the awfulness of schizophrenia, I've seen it first hand.  As "4theloveofpat" so eloquently wrote, as the other buddies.... Pray you never do.  Remember Erin, you have a long life ahead of you, you'll never know, like any of us, what cards in life will be tossed your way, with yourself, with your own health.  Things can be turned in a dime on any of us. 

Education of these drugs are a must, like you have become diligent of, as we all must become.  Though, education with true understanding of illness are a must, so we do not become ignorant to true facts, and remain with compassion and understanding of ones that really suffer.  If we don't, we do not serve any purpose in our venture to try to change things, only due to ignorance, and that will end up in failure for one and all; mostly the ones that suffer through true illness, and one that none of us would ever want to live.

Believe me,  I have seen the horror of it first hand.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [er...]

• [Mr...]

• [Mr...]

• [pa...]

Top Posters In This Topic

patty, i do not think you read what i wrote very carefully.   

i have several people in my life who are caught up in the insanity the way your sis in law's family is.  people who have been drugged and hospitalized and "owned their labels of insanity" for decades.  and you know what i believe, given all i have researched about the nonscience of so many of the diagnoses?  that they, and people in your sis in law's family, should shed their labels and their drugs and  their blind faith in the way things have been for years.  change their mindsets.  and see what happens. i believe so many of them would be in a much, much  better place. 

but the biggest proof i have is my very own mind.  i've always known there was something odd about the way i could not settle my mind and body properly, about the counting i do, about the obsessing i do... but i have refused to allow myself to eb labeled with ocd, to be drugged, to be told i am disordered.    i have found another way.  and it is a struggle every day.  and some nights i hardly sleep.  and many days i cannot relax.  but i know i am much better off than had i bought into the system of disorders and insanity . 

and of course there is my dear husband- over ten years and maybe 12, 14, 16 drugs and a million diagnoses.  and being told he was always this way, has a chemical imbalance, will be on drugs for the  rest of his life... now my hub has woken up from it and knows that there was never anything "wrong " with him.

we, as humans, are all different.  our minds work in many ways.  we all behave somewhat differently.  we must get away from all the labeling and all the pathologizing and all the disordering.

so- i am not coming at my conclusions, as you say, with no experience with "insanity".  with being so lucky .  i have seen it and lived it and that way have come to my conclusions.  like i said earlier, i have walked many. many , many miles in those shoes.

the old way of thinking has failed miserably.  it's time for we as a society to rethink so much of what we have been fed.  that is all i am doing.  let's pray it's not too late.

best wishes to all

erin

There are many realities in our lives, anymore.  Unfortunately, the ones we have been led to believe in by trusted authoritarian institutions (government, medical, scientific) have proven to be conceived with agendas no one wants to acknowledge.  Searching for answers is becoming ever more difficult because so many influencial players have the capability and willingness to subvert truth for the sake of profitability.  The very basis of modern western medicine was molded by financial influence early in the 20th century to march lock step with business, profit, and pharmaceuticals.  It has become, for lack of a better word, a war between the common good and the bottom line.  And, as it has been so famously stated in the past, the first casualty of war is truth.  Very few of us, individually and collectively, have been untouched by the ills of  modernity.  That's why it saddens me to see and hear dialogue that divides rather than unifies.  My father, a modest and under-educated farmer, was probably one of the wisest men I've ever known.  His mantra was never judge 'lest you be judged.  Live your life according to your spirit, however it may be guided, and you can be true to yourself.  Many of you may already know the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Health) has literally exploded with brand new diagnoses for infirmities that were never even dreamed of just a couple of decades ago.  And each of these disorders is accompanied by a numeric code that links it to a database maintained by insurance companies so the payment process can flow easily from physician to pharmaceutical company to insurance company, and lastly to the banking institution that funds it all.  For those of you less inclined to be skilled in mathematics, for instance, you may be interested in knowing there is a diagnosis (math deficiency disorder or Dyscalculia), a drug to treat it, and a code to bill it to.  I'm sure there is a wide range of opinions about it, but must it be considered an illness?  Does that mean those of us who are less talented in the arts are therefore afflicted with some dire deficiency that must be medicated?  Be mindful that this is the path we are on.  We have all learned far more about these things than we ever wanted, but we must use the wisdom we have gained to help make things better for generations to come.

Mr. P 

ty- i actually already had my husband fill out this survey - saw it on the madinamerica site.

very well said, mr potato.  theres another forum on bb debating this topic as we speak.  for more opinions, check it out.

be well, all

patty, i do not think you read what i wrote very carefully.   

i have several people in my life who are caught up in the insanity the way your sis in law's family is.  people who have been drugged and hospitalized and "owned their labels of insanity" for decades.  and you know what i believe, given all i have researched about the nonscience of so many of the diagnoses?  that they, and people in your sis in law's family, should shed their labels and their drugs and  their blind faith in the way things have been for years.  change their mindsets.  and see what happens. i believe so many of them would be in a much, much  better place. 

but the biggest proof i have is my very own mind.  i've always known there was something odd about the way i could not settle my mind and body properly, about the counting i do, about the obsessing i do... but i have refused to allow myself to eb labeled with ocd, to be drugged, to be told i am disordered.    i have found another way.  and it is a struggle every day.  and some nights i hardly sleep.  and many days i cannot relax.  but i know i am much better off than had i bought into the system of disorders and insanity . 

and of course there is my dear husband- over ten years and maybe 12, 14, 16 drugs and a million diagnoses.  and being told he was always this way, has a chemical imbalance, will be on drugs for the  rest of his life... now my hub has woken up from it and knows that there was never anything "wrong " with him.

we, as humans, are all different.  our minds work in many ways.  we all behave somewhat differently.  we must get away from all the labeling and all the pathologizing and all the disordering.

so- i am not coming at my conclusions, as you say, with no experience with "insanity".  with being so lucky .  i have seen it and lived it and that way have come to my conclusions.  like i said earlier, i have walked many. many , many miles in those shoes.

the old way of thinking has failed miserably.  it's time for we as a society to rethink so much of what we have been fed.  that is all i am doing.  let's pray it's not too late.

best wishes to all

erin

Hello Erin,

To begin, I did read exactly what you wrote.  That's why I began, that you brought much to the table. 

The most important for me to share at this point, is only one thing.  When this thread began in Buddie Blogs, it became a place for all supporters, no matter what their role was, to join as a unified unit together.  This was to support each other, hear what the other one was going through from this in their support role, share in what helped them to help the other, and provide links to help guide and educate each other and the new ones coming on.

Unfortunately, the paradigm was changed, and if one and all remember the previous thread, they will say, yes, it needs to go back to how it was.  Why shouldn't it be that way again?  Wasn't that the purpose from the initial of the other?  Isn't that how it was, and that is what was the purpose of it?  Look how minimal all who posted before are not, most of us just now and then.  Why?  Because, how it became towards the end, and how the new thread continues to proceed in the same direction!   

All this "stuff" of opinions of this and that is truly not the purpose at all.  It's fine for opinions, but it to me should be with information, constructive information with links,  not this challenging of back and forth, and that's what the old thread became  towards the end of it, and it was NEVER that way from the inception of it.

I always made a point to look daily at "Introductions", to find a supporter who posted, send them a PM and provide them the link to join us.  Why?  We had a supportive community with each other.  Do I provide this any longer... No!  Why?  Because how the thread became towards the end on the other thread.  Why would I even want to suggest a new comer supporter to think of coming on this thread, reading and joining this thread.  There is no longer the support that was, just staunch opinions, and those at times are  offensive to others.  Let's change the paradigm to how it was. 

So... all, including myself... let's begin again in how it was and the purpose of it.

My best to all.  P

patty, point well taken.  i'm sorry.  i didn't realize what the change was all about.    i was only responding to mr potato checking in, and that led to where i have been hanging out online lately, namely, other sites targeted at  taking down the huge drug/govt/doc/big pharm system...  i guess i need so badly for everyone to understand it all. and if one person reading will make a life-saving change because of that... i think that is the only thing that keeps me going through the horror that si my life. i am so very angry at all the players who contributed...

i wasn't here at the very beginning, but i did receive much-needed support when i joined several months ago. and i thank you so much for that.  i'm sorry if i contributed inflammatory remarks that have no place here. i really thought it was more of a free-for-all, anything goes.  i will be more careful.

i thought people were not on much because everyone was in a holding pattern.  like, when i joined, nobody was really at the intense place i was.

anyway, hope everybody has a great upcoming weekend, with sunshine and relaxation.  continued healing and success.

sending positive thoughts and continued healing

erin

Thanks Patty - I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest.  I apologize to Erin as well as I stated I didn't wish to cause a fight/controversy.  I simply did not agree with SOME of her viewpoint and I do understand her perspective.

This specific blog has been incredibly valuable to me when needing support and coming from an outsiders perspective vs. the one going through the withdrawal.  Thanks for getting us back on point - supporting not just stating our opinions.  I only check in occasionally to help as so many strangers helped me when I was so distraught. 

I love to come back and hear Mrs. P. doing well, Patty/Puffin moving on with their lives, Mrubar's mother's updates and even Erin's husbands putting the distance between his final cut... I also hope I can help when the days aren't positive and frustration continues. 

Patty, thanks for the reminder of this site and support.  My wife is over 4 1/2 years off benzo's and the living hell continues.  Every time I walk into the room it will either be screaming or crying.  Hard to believe.  Our little dog just gets up and walks out of the room when this starts.  Sorry she is so troubled but it seems my only purpose is to be a punching bag.  I try to support but at this point what can I do?  I don't react to her outburst, try to provide support but that only lasts so long.  Thanks for listening.

Pardner

PS Very glad to see you are attending the Benzo Summit

patty, point well taken.  i'm sorry.  i didn't realize what the change was all about.    i was only responding to mr potato checking in, and that led to where i have been hanging out online lately, namely, other sites targeted at  taking down the huge drug/govt/doc/big pharm system...  i guess i need so badly for everyone to understand it all. and if one person reading will make a life-saving change because of that... i think that is the only thing that keeps me going through the horror that si my life. i am so very angry at all the players who contributed...

i wasn't here at the very beginning, but i did receive much-needed support when i joined several months ago. and i thank you so much for that.  i'm sorry if i contributed inflammatory remarks that have no place here. i really thought it was more of a free-for-all, anything goes.  i will be more careful.

i thought people were not on much because everyone was in a holding pattern.  like, when i joined, nobody was really at the intense place i was.

anyway, hope everybody has a great upcoming weekend, with sunshine and relaxation.  continued healing and success.

sending positive thoughts and continued healing

erin

Hi Erin,

You were one of the last that came onto the old thread, and of course, with all you were facing, there was no way you could take the time to read the thread from the beginning to see what unfolded with one and all.  We all understand totally.  That thread was not  "free for all", "anything goes".  Why?  Because this is a benzo support site, that and only that.  Yes, there are areas on the site, that anyone, and many have, can unleash a thread of frustration, anger, all about what you are feeling and begin a dialog that they have passion about, in learning more.  (Chewing the Fat, Benzos in the News, and Off Topic.)  This thread is one thing and was, to support each other, with information to help each other.  That and only that, that's how all the Buddie Blogs were, and that's why it began there. 

I know Erin you, as all of us will get this back on track to what it should be for this thread.  We all need to, and mostly not just  for all of us still on this site, but all the newcomers that will be coming on behind us.  We are establishing a history for this site, and it's up to all of us to provide the best of that history, whether that's with tears or fears... We'll be honest in how we have dealt with this blow in our lives, what has happened to whom we are supporting, how we are coping and how we are there for each other, and provide the necessary links so they can go to them and get the information they need.  This is a must for all of us, so we give that history to ones that will follow behind us.  It no longer is just about us, but all the ones we will help with our words in how and what we write, and share with each other.

Only one thing more I want to share to help you.  Try not to let the anger take over.  I, as every one, have gone through this same emotion, and why wouldn't we.  Though, I had to find a way to  let that go, as it was no longer serving a purpose to me, going through this, it was just tearing me further down through this ordeal, and what I realized, is all that was doing is providing from myself with this emotion, giving the power back to them that caused this nightmare.  Once I let that go, I could focus in a right direction to provide the best for my husband and myself to get through this, and that is the only thing that was important,  I knew then, once we could get there, that I could make the choice to be an advocate in the correct direction.  Until then, the anger served no purpose for myself at all.  There is a time for every thing, and the choice of now is the most important... Our families and ourselves, and nothing more until a later point.     

So, we begin a new.  We'll all do this, I know that.  We are strong bunch of people and we know what is the right way for this site, to help all who will follow behind us.

Blessings to you, Patty

Thanks Patty - I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest.  I apologize to Erin as well as I stated I didn't wish to cause a fight/controversy.  I simply did not agree with SOME of her viewpoint and I do understand her perspective.

This specific blog has been incredibly valuable to me when needing support and coming from an outsiders perspective vs. the one going through the withdrawal.  Thanks for getting us back on point - supporting not just stating our opinions.  I only check in occasionally to help as so many strangers helped me when I was so distraught. 

I love to come back and hear Mrs. P. doing well, Patty/Puffin moving on with their lives, Mrubar's mother's updates and even Erin's husbands putting the distance between his final cut... I also hope I can help when the days aren't positive and frustration continues.

Hi dear 4,

Yes, the specific blog was one of value to all of this, we were the pioneers!  We all do need to bring this back on point.  Many of us "old timers" probably occasionally come back to help as you say.  Though the most important, is we do come back to check on each one of us, to see where everyone is at, how things have transpired and how all are doing.  Though, the most important, as I shared with Erin, is the footprints we are providing for everyone behind us; and that is just to show them they can and will get there with their loved one.

Puffin, you and I... wow. what history we had and found each other.

My best to you always.. Patty

Patty, thanks for the reminder of this site and support.  My wife is over 4 1/2 years off benzo's and the living hell continues.  Every time I walk into the room it will either be screaming or crying.  Hard to believe.  Our little dog just gets up and walks out of the room when this starts.  Sorry she is so troubled but it seems my only purpose is to be a punching bag.  I try to support but at this point what can I do?  I don't react to her outburst, try to provide support but that only lasts so long.  Thanks for listening.

Pardner

Pardner,  Good to see you post.  Yes, I know your wife is 4.5 years off a short period of time off benzos, though, it began from steroid psychosis, as your signature states.  Your wife's system from this has been terribly altered somehow.  I cannot even imagine how difficult this has been for you, and how you have survived all of this, as well as your wife.  Yes, it must seems like your only purpose is to be a punching bag.  I'm so sorry both of you have had to endure all of this for this length of time.

Of course the support lasts only so long... Your in the same boat with that, that we all have been in.  As Mr. P stated a few times, this journey is "not for the faint of heart".  It's not one bit...

My prayers and thoughts are with both you and your wife.  Please, stay in touch on this thread, you need the support from one and all of us.  Remember, by posting all you are going through from this, from your heart, you will be helping others that come behind us.

Hugs, P

hey, patty.  i truly never understood that there were real dif between the dif forums.  i found this one- for partners of victims. and that's it.  never thought- one for support, one for opinions about drugs.  so, again, i am sorry,  back to support only.  thank you for your blessings and continued support.

pardner, so sorry to hear your suffering continues.  i really don't know what to say.  sounds like you have the right approach.  don't react, lend support... i hope you are able to get out and do some things for yourself, by yourself.  to keep your sanity.  wishing you and everybody all the best.

it's springtime...a time for rebirth, new beginnings.

take care

erin

Pardner

Pardner,  Good to see you post.  Yes, I know your wife is 4.5 years off a short period of time off benzos, though, it began from steroid psychosis, as your signature states.  Your wife's system from this has been terribly altered somehow.  I cannot even imagine how difficult this has been for you, and how you have survived all of this, as well as your wife.  Yes, it must seems like your only purpose is to be a punching bag.  I'm so sorry both of you have had to endure all of this for this length of time.

Of course the support lasts only so long... Your in the same boat with that, that we all have been in.  As Mr. P stated a few times, this journey is "not for the faint of heart".  It's not one bit...

My prayers and thoughts are with both you and your wife.  Please, stay in touch on this thread, you need the support from one and all of us.  Remember, by posting all you are going through from this, from your heart, you will be helping others that come behind us.

Hugs, P

[/quote

Patty,  Thanks for the note.  Our daughter is to be married on June 21st.  We had a couples shower this weekend hosted by friends of the family.  Our daughter and her fiancé stayed with us Friday and Saturday, my wife's brother and his wife also stayed with us  Saturday night.  For many weeks before this my wife would scream at me how much she dreaded this event and people staying with us.  She said she couldn't do it, I heard all of this more times than can be counted.    Well the weekend is over and all went great.  Had a great time even shot clay pigeons on Sat afternoon with my wife going along, (not shooting).  The party on Saturday was a lot fun.  It was a great break.  Hopefully we all learned something from it. 

We even played cards on Friday night and all was good.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.  Pardner

Pardner

Hugs, P

[/quote

Patty,  Thanks for the note.  Our daughter is to be married on June 21st.  We had a couples shower this weekend hosted by friends of the family.  Our daughter and her fiancé stayed with us Friday and Saturday, my wife's brother and his wife also stayed with us  Saturday night.  For many weeks before this my wife would scream at me how much she dreaded this event and people staying with us.  She said she couldn't do it, I heard all of this more times than can be counted.    Well the weekend is over and all went great.  Had a great time even shot clay pigeons on Sat afternoon with my wife going along, (not shooting).  The party on Saturday was a lot fun.  It was a great break.  Hopefully we all learned something from it. 

We even played cards on Friday night and all was good.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.  Pardner

Hi P,  So happy to hear of your daughter's upcoming wedding.  Congratulations! Aw, wonderful all will well spending time with your family.  When one is having wds, the anticipatory anxiety of an event (or etc) that one needs to go to can be very overwhelming.

Best to you Pardner.

P

HAPPY EASTER! 

The same to you and all my Benzo Buddies.  This one has been much happier than those in the past few years.  Best to all of us.

Mr. P  :thumbsup:

HAPPY EASTER! 

The same to you and all my Benzo Buddies.  This one has been much happier than those in the past few years.  Best to all of us.

Mr. P  :thumbsup:

Hi Mr. P,  So good to hear from you!  "This one has been much happier than those in the past few years."  This was the best to read. My thoughts have been with you and Mrs. P., praying that the wd process would be as smooth as possible.  Keep us posted how all is proceeding.

Patty 

Hi all Benzo Buddie Supporters,  Sent a PM to many of you, if I have forgotten any of you, forgive me.  We have three new supporters who have joined BB.  I sent each of them a PM, giving them the link to this thread, so they can join us, so we can support them as we all supported each other in the past.  We had a great group of support with each other on the old thread, and I know how important that was for one and all.  We need to begin this again, in the same positive direction like it was.  Please post something, in how each and all are doing, so we show the new supporters we are still here to help.  Many thanks to one and all.  Patty

Hi Everyone,

I am three weeks now, back in my Mom's house after 8 months break from seeing Her at the end of Her lorazepam taper.

Every day we talked on a phone and I made notes about any changes.

Things are still up and down. A week ago was the worst day I ever saw in Her years of tolerance and later during taper.

It passed and we got to better days again.

HEr pernicious anemia attacked again, glucose is elevated, electrolytes imbalanced.

Now She seem be ok, but it all changes during the day, mornings are definitely the worst.

Yesterday She was in a good window, 100% Herself again. When this comes I feel so rewarded and recharged and know I did right helping Her to withdraw from this poison.

I hope you all are doing well and progressing bravely toward recovery. I keep you all in my prayers and hope to hear about your situation whenever you feel like posting. HAve a great weekend, Mrubar

Hi all Benzo Buddie Supporters,  Sent a PM to many of you, if I have forgotten any of you, forgive me.  We have three new supporters who have joined BB.  I sent each of them a PM, giving them the link to this thread, so they can join us, so we can support them as we all supported each other in the past.  We had a great group of support with each other on the old thread, and I know how important that was for one and all.  We need to begin this again, in the same positive direction like it was.  Please post something, in how each and all are doing, so we show the new supporters we are still here to help.  Many thanks to one and all.  Patty

Pattylu, the support from this link for me has been tremendous.  I was always amazed how someone said they could feel a bond with someone on the internet, the support I have gotten here has helped me understand how that could happen.  I find the people here very open and honest about what they are going through to support a loved one.

There is no one answer for every situation, but time is a healer.  I would tell the caregiver to take care of themselves and let all the words and actions of the benzo recoverer roll off.  Not easy to do but you have to.  Also take care of yourself, you can't support if you are tired and not getting any exercise. 

Pardner

Hi Everyone,

I am three weeks now, back in my Mom's house after 8 months break from seeing Her at the end of Her lorazepam taper.

Every day we talked on a phone and I made notes about any changes.

Things are still up and down. A week ago was the worst day I ever saw in Her years of tolerance and later during taper.

It passed and we got to better days again.

HEr pernicious anemia attacked again, glucose is elevated, electrolytes imbalanced.

Now She seem be ok, but it all changes during the day, mornings are definitely the worst.

Yesterday She was in a good window, 100% Herself again. When this comes I feel so rewarded and recharged and know I did right helping Her to withdraw from this poison.

I hope you all are doing well and progressing bravely toward recovery. I keep you all in my prayers and hope to hear about your situation whenever you feel like posting. HAve a great weekend, Mrubar

Hello Dearest Mrubar,

So good that you posted.  Wonderful...a window, yes total difference isn't it.

Take good care of yourself dear friend.

Always, P

Pattylu, the support from this link for me has been tremendous.  I was always amazed how someone said they could feel a bond with someone on the internet, the support I have gotten here has helped me understand how that could happen.  I find the people here very open and honest about what they are going through to support a loved one.

There is no one answer for every situation, but time is a healer.  I would tell the caregiver to take care of themselves and let all the words and actions of the benzo recoverer roll off.  Not easy to do but you have to.  Also take care of yourself, you can't support if you are tired and not getting any exercise. 

Pardner

Hi Pardner,

No truer words spoken!!  Thanks for posting.  Hoping that the new supporters will join us and begin posting.

Thanks, P