Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hi MMXV, everyone left you some great information.  If your symptoms are ramping up, holding as quickly as possible can sometimes help you catch them before they get bad.  Basically we call it a symptom based taper, once you have your symptoms back to stabalizing, by stabilizing we don't mean you have no symptoms, just that they are tolerable.  Take your time, be patient, having a notebook where you keep a record of symptoms and dates when you cut and how much.  You may find you need to cut less or stretch your cuts out.  It's a game of the right amount of tapering being in balance with how you feel.  As someone said before me,  pushing through rough symptoms can easily end up taking you longer to taper, than holding until you have stabilized.  Take your time, pay attention to your symptoms, let that be your guide to tapering.  Good luck.  Mary

Thank you so much everyone for your advice on this matter.

I always felt that going longer than two months on hold was some form of failure. But hearing from you guys who have gone through wd has put me at ease.

I always kept a diary of my drug dosage and times for the last two years not symptoms which I will start to.

Also listening to your body is a new angle I will take, and as the previous buddie mentioned as soon as symptoms rev up go into hold. I won't feel guilty for holding for a couple of months this time.

Thank you all

Thank you so much everyone for your advice on this matter.

I always felt that going longer than two months on hold was some form of failure. But hearing from you guys who have gone through wd has put me at ease.

I always kept a diary of my drug dosage and times for the last two years not symptoms which I will start to.

Also listening to your body is a new angle I will take, and as the previous buddie mentioned as soon as symptoms rev up go into hold. I won't feel guilty for holding for a couple of months this time.

Thank you all

You're very welcome MMXV. I like your signature  ;). We'll get there, eventually  ::).

MMXV, we have a Long Hold Support Group if you would like to visit or hang out.  Just go to Home Page and scroll down until you see Support Group and find Long Hold.  If you need support or just want to chat, we're there.  Good luck, keep us posted!!  Mary ♥️

I don't want to offend anyone here as everyone has to do what they need to do to get through this.  However, I personally had a bad experience with my own long hold (and I've seen others, including admins warn of them as well)......you can go into more tolerance and it can be even harder for some (including me) to pick back up and taper.  On the other hand, I've seen others do a long hold and it benefited them a lot so it just goes to show how different we all are.  A month or two isn't really a "long hold" IMO.....also, have you considered a daily microtaper, which you may find more gentle?

If Valium is suppose to be more of a muscle relaxer, then why are my back and shoulder muscles getting tighter and more painful the lower I get in my taper?  The several YEARS I was on ativan, I never had a problem with muscle or joint pain.  But, after my c/o to valium as I started getting lower in my taper, the muscle and joint pain started to become more intense.  I know it's not healthy, but I am having to take ibuprofen nearly every day just to ease the inflammation.

Has anyone else experienced this after switching to Valium?

Thanks for all the help during this process.

I have only been tapering valium. I find that my back and hip hurt every time that I cut. Eases up after about a week and then I cut again. Don't ever really get comfortable while tapering but I'm willing to be uncomfortable to get off benzos.

If Valium is suppose to be more of a muscle relaxer, then why are my back and shoulder muscles getting tighter and more painful the lower I get in my taper?  The several YEARS I was on ativan, I never had a problem with muscle or joint pain.  But, after my c/o to valium as I started getting lower in my taper, the muscle and joint pain started to become more intense.  I know it's not healthy, but I am having to take ibuprofen nearly every day just to ease the inflammation.

JoJo, it's my primary withdrawal symptom, I think the muscle relaxer took over the your natural relaxers in the gaba receptors so as you come off the Diazapam, your muscles are fighting having less muscle relaxer than it's use to.  Sorry, that my best explanation .  It's awful pain I know.  I go through spells of taking too much ibu too.  One of my friends on here, Translator told me about a shatki mat on Amazon, it really helps, if you decide to try one, get one with the pillow.  It looks like torture but really isn't, it releases the muscles.  Also, I have a long heating pad down the back of my recliner.

My best friend.  I walk and do stretches, just to keep my muscles stretched out.  With all that, I have cut my ibu down to half of what I was taking.  These are just suggestions.  I wish you luck.

Mary 🍀🍀🍀

Thanks Mary, I think I will try the shatki mat.  For the price and after reading about it, I think it's worth a try.

JoJo :smitten:

JoJo, it's my primary withdrawal symptom, I think the muscle relaxer took over the your natural relaxers in the gaba receptors so as you come off the Diazapam, your muscles are fighting having less muscle relaxer than it's use to.  Sorry, that my best explanation .  It's awful pain I know.  I go through spells of taking too much ibu too.  One of my friends on here, Translator told me about a shatki mat on Amazon, it really helps, if you decide to try one, get one with the pillow.  It looks like torture but really isn't, it releases the muscles.  Also, I have a long heating pad down the back of my recliner.

My best friend.  I walk and do stretches, just to keep my muscles stretched out.  With all that, I have cut my ibu down to half of what I was taking.  These are just suggestions.  I wish you luck.

Mary 🍀🍀🍀

Hi jojodancer,  I have it too. The lower I get, the more muscles and joints are hurting. I take Paracetamols, but they hardly do anything. I take a Ibuprofen once a week just to have a couple of hours with less pain. I've had stomach ulcers in the past, so have to be really careful with Ibuprofen. Prof. Ashton talks about muscles getting tighter as you get lower in her manual. So Yes, it's most likely withdrawal. And we just have learn to live with it for now. Hot showers, massage,  stretching,  warmth, the shatki mat can all help a bit. Good luck.

Casting in:

Long time user of 18 years.

Current dosage of around 30-70mg a day Diazepam & 2mg of 'Xanax'.

Also 40mg Propanolol for fast heart rate.

Also using small amount (0.02g) of cannabis in the evening.

Things are really hard for me at the moment. Agoraphobic and High levels of anxiety all drug induced I suppose.

Really finding it hard to regulate my usage and stick to one or 2 doses daily.

It's not my first time I find myself here. I did a progress log and got off for a bit.

My short term memory issues are understandably horrendous.

My depression I would describe as being moderate.

I'm thinking of detaching myself from the Xanax first as usual, but everything feels hard. I haven't been able to motivate myself for a having a wash for almost a week, and I'm also not eating regularly (having a 1500kcal meal once a day).

Anyhow thanks for reading. At the moment I feel really low and just needed to put down some words.

For everyone in the struggle against Diazepam I know how hard it is.

Casting out.

Hi Compactedchoice, 

So sorry you have all those issues. I hope you may feel some improvement soon. Things can get really difficult at times. I would suggest you try to keep up some sort of daily routine,  with getting enough food inside you being an important one. Maybe first try to spread it into two meals a day, if you can.

You're right about putting this into words on here. Many people are ready to support you. We all feel for you.

Wishing you a better New Year.  :thumbsup:

The best thing I found for the horrible muscle aches is to exercise.  I started with just very simple yoga stretches and deep breathing, others here have done tai chi or just simple walking - the trick is you must move and use your entire body to feel better. I know it sounds counterintuitive to move when you are really hurting but it does help. Then after you exercise - heating pad or ice wherever it hurts or a hot bath if that helps you, some people also like to add Epson salts.

I noticed after my cross to Valium that I got intense muscle pain - it was burning (and it wasn't from the K removal), very painful and it seemed to be a side effect of the Valium.  It subsided for the most part but my body still hurts - muscles and joints.  I never had this on Klonopin, or before.  So definitely something with Valium for me.  I do a lot of stretching, and walking, sometimes the epsom salt baths, like KGIRL suggested and it helps but all still there to a degree. 

I have only been tapering valium. I find that my back and hip hurt every time that I cut. Eases up after about a week and then I cut again. Don't ever really get comfortable while tapering but I'm willing to be uncomfortable to get off benzos.

MessedUpByRx:

I am relatively new around BB. And have used benzos for less than a year.

Wanted to congratulate you on your taper. At 0 mg 12/29/2019. A great way to start 2020. You will make for a great mentor.

Very impressive. Goal oriented approach. And a great attitude you have displayed.

Did you just encounter very mild SXs and, if so, could you describe such as you tapered, of course, when time permits. A debriefing of sorts may inspire us!

Also, what time of day or evening did you take your doses.

Appears it is time for me to push a bit more.

I can get long winded. Can you tell me about "window" from your sig: "Oct 16/19 4.75mg

holding because of side effects from too rapid tapering

first window since starting, time to cut"

Is a window when SXs are very low or tolerable. Could you describe such--for I am not sure if I really understand the term.

Cheers

Palpitations anyone? Days at a time? (Not constant but pretty near?)

Very common Joy but if you get scared always go to Dr.  Peace of mind means a great deal.  :smitten:

Very common Joy but if you get scared always go to Dr.  Peace of mind means a great deal.  :smitten:

Thank you Mary. My cardiologist has reassured me in several prior visits. This was a ramp up and now I finally know why. 2 courses of Amoxicillin in 5 weeks. Played havoc with displacing valium in the GABA receptors. I never knew that.....taking that much neutralized the Valium so I was kind of involuntarily thrown into c/t. The NHS has a paper on this where they tell doctors to up the dosage of benzo while their patients are on amox.....or on any flouroquinalones. Now I will need some days or even weeks to just calm my cns down. Had a beautiful window all morning today. Drinking tons of warer.water

Wow, that is info I did not know.  I will copy it and put it in my p log and hope I remember its there.

So glad you are having a morning window.  There are so many things we don't know.  I bet that has happened to so many people.  Hopefully it won't take as long to recover as you think.  Will keep my fingers crossed!!  Mary ♥️♥️♥️

Thank you Mary. My cardiologist has reassured me in several prior visits. This was a ramp up and now I finally know why. 2 courses of Amoxicillin in 5 weeks. Played havoc with displacing valium in the GABA receptors. I never knew that.....taking that much neutralized the Valium so I was kind of involuntarily thrown into c/t. The NHS has a paper on this where they tell doctors to up the dosage of benzo while their patients are on amox.....or on any flouroquinalones. Now I will need some days or even weeks to just calm my cns down. Had a beautiful window all morning today. Drinking tons of warer.water

Hello Joyatlast51,

Can you please provide documentation for the above bolded statement, it's important to cite your sources when making claims such as this.

Thanks,

Pamster

MessedUpByRx:

I am relatively new around BB. And have used benzos for less than a year.

Wanted to congratulate you on your taper. At 0 mg 12/29/2019. A great way to start 2020. You will make for a great mentor.

Very impressive. Goal oriented approach. And a great attitude you have displayed.

Did you just encounter very mild SXs and, if so, could you describe such as you tapered, of course, when time permits. A debriefing of sorts may inspire us!

Also, what time of day or evening did you take your doses.

Appears it is time for me to push a bit more.

I can get long winded. Can you tell me about "window" from your sig: "Oct 16/19 4.75mg

holding because of side effects from too rapid tapering

first window since starting, time to cut"

Is a window when SXs are very low or tolerable. Could you describe such--for I am not sure if I really understand the term.

Cheers

blue001:

I was going to post a progress log/success story after I'm off for 2 months - that was the recommended time to wait - I read that somewhere on the forum.

Meanwhile, a quick description of my taper - every side effect out there - crying, shaking, dp/dr, insomnia, muscle aches and pains, agoraphobia, weight loss, sensitivity to smell, light, sound, unable to exercise, etc - but I felt bad on benzos anyway. Side effects were most severe from 10mg to 5mg.  I have migraines and wasn't able to work before and I wouldn't have been able to work while tapering.

I divided my daily dosage in half and took it at 8am and 7pm every day. I used a scale to make sure my dosage did not vary day to day.

My first window was a night that I slept for a few hours in a row and had a few less aches and pains as a result.

I cut when I didn't feel worse and didn't wait for feeling better because that may not happen. Some people don't heal at all until they are off benzos and I made the assumption that I was one of those who needed to get off benzos. Holding for more than 11 days never seemed to result in an improvement.

Tapering valium was generally hell but I only had to do it once.

Hope that helps.

Hello Joyatlast51,

Can you please provide documentation for the above bolded statement, it's important to cite your sources when making claims such as this.

Thanks,

Pamster

Oh hey Pamster. I addressed this with another admin, Challis. Please feel free to delete. Here is what I read.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ana.410080112?sid=nlm%3Apubmed

My experience is just my own. I am no doctor and will not pontificate to others. Taking medications is a very personal and individual decision between patient and doctor.... weighing benefits and risks. What happened to me just happened to me. If you feel what I shared was not a correct reading of this document, please feel free to delete it.  :)

Hi all, would 2 to 3 mg of valium substitute for 1 mg of Ativan? That's what my psychiatrist is proposing, he thinks the Ashton manual dose of 10mg of valium for 1 mg of Ativan is too high.

Thank you!

Hi all, would 2 to 3 mg of valium substitute for 1 mg of Ativan? That's what my psychiatrist is proposing, he thinks the Ashton manual dose of 10mg of valium for 1 mg of Ativan is too high.

Thank you!

I have read and experienced that 1mg Ativan = 10mg Valium. Can you do some more research and share it with your Dr?

That could potentially be a very tough transition.

Hello Joyatlast51,

Thanks,

Pamster

Mary can you delete this. I think it was misunderstood as advice, which I could never give. Thank you