Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hello all, it's been a while since I posted anywhere here. Since my last visit I have switched from klonopin to valium for tapering purposes. Presently I am at .5mg once per day. My problem at this point is it seems to have no effect whatsoever and I'm having a lot of symptoms of withdrawal from depression to nausea and other gastro problems. By far the worst symptom is the nausea and little to no appetite.

I have a theory that I have reached tolerance on the .5mg once a day and it is basically keeping me in a constant state of withdrawal. Does this sound plausible to you guys? If so should I just jump off and get on with the healing instead of keeping the wound open? I could ask my doc if we could switch to something else but I don't know if it would be worth it.

WTO, you don't have a signature so I can't really say much.  How long have you been at .5?  A lot of people jump from there.  Can you take the time to see if your symptoms will calm down some if you give a hold a chance?  Hopefully then, when you do jump, maybe  your next stage won't be as hard.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck whatever you decide, Mary 💚

Just a note one of the side effects of valium is nausea. Therefore your nausea can be from the drug itself and not the taper.  If you were not nauseous on klonopin this may explain it.  I had this happen to me - the nausea never went away until I stopped the valium. 

CMZ,

What are your acute symptoms?  I would at the very least continue down to .5 or .25, or even lower, especially since you are so close.  And as far as worrying about not getting off, you ARE almost off......please try to remind yourself that you DO have the capability to endure whatever is to come, that you WILL heal, even though you may have to suffer some first. 

Blue,

I have fatigue frequently.  I can't nap either.  But for me, these symptoms are definitely some of my more tolerable ones.  Also, I drink Swiss Water Process decaf and it satisfies the craving for coffee.  This type of decaf removes something like 99.9% of caffeine.  If you miss coffee, may be worth trying. 

CMZ,

What are your acute symptoms?  I would at the very least continue down to .5 or .25, or even lower, especially since you are so close.  And as far as worrying about not getting off, you ARE almost off......please try to remind yourself that you DO have the capability to endure whatever is to come, that you WILL heal, even though you may have to suffer some first. 

Blue,

I have fatigue frequently.  I can't nap either.  But for me, these symptoms are definitely some of my more tolerable ones.  Also, I drink Swiss Water Process decaf and it satisfies the craving for coffee.  This type of decaf removes something like 99.9% of caffeine.  If you miss coffee, may be worth trying.

I doubt I’m in acute. My main symptoms are fatigue and tinnitus. Some benzo belly. And then in waves I’ll get an uptick other symptoms. But mostly fatigue tinnitus and overall feeling of inflammation. It could be much worse. I get other symptoms but they come and go quickly. Lost of muscle twitching lately. Brain fog. It’s just so hard to know what to do.

Mary - Thank you for always giving the best advice. You’re so positive and supportive. I appreciate you always being there for me during this.

CMZ,

Blue,

I doubt I’m in acute. My main symptoms are fatigue and tinnitus. Some benzo belly. And then in waves I’ll get an uptick other symptoms. But mostly fatigue tinnitus and overall feeling of inflammation. It could be much worse. I get other symptoms but they come and go quickly. Lost of muscle twitching lately. Brain fog. It’s just so hard to know what to do.

Mary - Thank you for always giving the best advice. You’re so positive and supportive. I appreciate you always being there for me during this.

:smitten: :smitten:

I need some advice please. I crashed 5 months ago. Held. Updosed 3 months ago including the 5 month hold. I’ve slowly gotten better. Last fri was my best day. Sat I started going downward. Now I think I’m headed back to acute. Could I have hit tolerance? Symptoms new are muscle twitch pain, sheer terror from lack of sleep.  Anxiety that is an all day panic attack.Was sleeping ok.before and all those symptom went away2 months ago. Im in complete despair. Should I updose again. Wait 2 weeks and start the taper?

I need some advice please. I crashed 5 months ago. Held. Updosed 3 months ago including the 5 month hold. I’ve slowly gotten better. Last fri was my best day. Sat I started going downward. Now I think I’m headed back to acute. Could I have hit tolerance? Symptoms new are muscle twitch pain, sheer terror from lack of sleep.  Anxiety that is an all day panic attack.Was sleeping ok.before and all those symptom went away2 months ago. Im in complete despair. Should I updose again. Wait 2 weeks and start the taper?

Mag, this is a tough one.  I am sorry you are feeling so badly.  I only updosed once and it never helped.  But I truly believe I didn't updose enough, now I know you need to go back to at least where you felt good last.  Now, there are people on here that have updosed and some could feel it quickly, while others had to wait months.  Did you go on the Updose Support Group?  There are people there I feel can give you better information than me.  I wish you luck, hope your symptoms ease soon and you get more help from the Updose Group.  Mary 💜💜

CMZ,

How about some blogs to get some perspective - I read Edzo8 (I think) last week so maybe that one would be good....go back to when he jumped and after (this guys is a warrior for sure and there are many others).  It doesn't sound like you are in acute based on what you just described -- thus, I personally would DEFINITELY continuing to taper down as close to 0 as possible.  Why risk it when your symptoms are tolerable right now? 

Magnolis,

I'm so sorry for what you are enduring. I completely can empathize being in acute while still on the drug - it's hell and there are levels of hell in all this, as I experienced.  Maybe you are just in a wave?  Hormones? Something different you did or ate?  Can you start making some small cuts and see what happens? I do know of someone who seemed to get better once she started retapering after holding for several months.  Still struggling but better.  Hope you get some relief soon.

I started with 2.5mg of Ativan, now my doc put me on 2mg of valium at 9 am, 2 mg at 5 pm and 2.5mg at 9 pm totalling 6.5mg as a substitute for 2.5mg Ativan.

I think this is way too low and I'm going to take matters into my own hands, I just took 2mg of valium extra, I have my own supply of Valium.

Would 6mg per dose be okay, so 6 mg at 9 am, 6 mg at 5 pm and 6.5 mg at 9 pm?

I can't take the anxiety that the 2 mg of valium gives me, the dosage is really too low. As someone said here I would be in for a tailspin on that low of a dosage.

I hope someone can reply to me, thank you

Nik, the Ashton equivalency crossover would be 25 mgs, which quite a few people find high.  You are looking at 18.5, which everyone reacts differently but that maybe a little low.  It's a guessing game, you can try the 18.5 and see how well you do.  It certainly is better than what your Dr suggested.

You do need to cross slowly, don't just switch it out.  Pick the dose least important to you, and start on that one.  But first read the Ashton Manual which will give you all kinds of information and the best way to crossover.  Valium is a very different benzo than Ativan, most of us were very sleepy, just something to be prepared for.  Good luck, the best advice I can give you, is take your time and pay attention to your symptoms, if they begin to get worse, lower your % you are tapering and stretch out the periods you are cutting.  Good luck.  We will be here to support you.  Mary 💜

You can find the Ashton Manual on google, I would print a copy out, it really does have a lot of good information on withdrawal.  Incase, I wasn't clear, don't start your taper until you have crossed, then give yourself a week or so before tapering.  The Valium will need time to even out in your blood stream.  As you are crossing, there is a lot of information on bb.  Go to the Homepage and scroll down. You will see different ways to taper, Valium Support Group. Withdrawal Support Group, all these threads will be very beneficial.  :)

Nikitas,

Your doctor isn't even prescribing the lower end of the dosage range that most US doctors go with (which is half of what Ashton prescribes).....6.5 mg of V for 2.5 mg of Ativan?  Yikes and ouch!  The doctors is worried about more addiction but he/she was ok prescribing Ativan?  As if that's less addicting?  Please find another doctor if you are able.  You could possibly do with less Valium than Ashton suggests - I saw someone recently who did great on the 3/4 of Ashton's equivalents.  A slow cross is recommended for that very reason - b/c you may not need as much.  Mary gave good advice!! 

Hello wonderful Valium warriors, a member needs your help!  If my math is correct, this member is taking the equivalent of 180 mgs of Valium in the form of Lorazepam and Ambien and contemplating crossing over.  Headspace1982 tried a partial crossover with disastrous results possibly due to not giving the drug time to build up, but since I don't have experience with Valium, I'm just going by what I've read.

Would anyone be willing to pop over to help this member, I'm really out of my comfort zone.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=236064.0

Thanks for any help you can provide.  :smitten:

I made a mistake I'm getting 13mg for 2.5 mg of Ativan. Currently experiencing anxiety and unresty feeling.. Smoking cigarettes helps a bit. Thank you for the support!!!!

I made a mistake I'm getting 13mg for 2.5 mg of Ativan. Currently experiencing anxiety and unresty feeling.. Smoking cigarettes helps a bit. Thank you for the support!!!!

Nik, I am not a Dr but I have been on bb for 3 years.  In my opinion, that is very low.  It is barely half the Ashton crossover amount.  The 18.5 , though a mistake, was much closer to what I would think is a safe amount.  The 13 mgs is probably going to start a pretty severe withdrawal quickly.  I hope others come on to give you more opinions.  Please read the Ashton Manual so you can see for yourself how low a dose 13 mgs is .  Ashton was the most informed person for benzo withdrawal for a long time.  She ran her own clinic in England.  Please be very careful here.  Mary. 💜

I agree with Mary. According to all the equivalence tables on the internet plus Ashton, 2.5 Ativan would be 25 Valium. 13 is much less than that and I personally wouldn't risk such a big cut, because wd can get worse and then updosing not always works. I hope more people chime in.

Nik, I completely agree with the others on here about the too-low dose of valium you were switched to. I switched from 1.5 mgs of Ativan to 15 mgs of valium. I'm pretty sure that all the  reputable equivalency tables use a factor of ten.

No wonder you feel so awful.

But you can fix this. Indeed, you started, to, right? You took extra valium. Good for you. If you have access to more valium, if it were me (not telling you what to do, just telling you what I would do) I would increase my dose to 25 mgs of valium. I think you will feel a lot better with the increased valium.

I would then read the Ashton Manual https://benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm and look at Schedule 3. You can "drop in" at the appropriate point and follow the schedule for your cross and for your taper off valium. I followed that schedule and things worked out well.

Can you call your doc and discuss this with him/her?

Hope you feel better.

:smitten:

Katz

Agree with others here.  Here's another Ashton writing that I took to my doctor that was helpful that someone else had posted that I never found when I looked myself.  But it was what ultimately convinced me and my doctor to make the crossover.

https://benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.htm?fbclid=IwAR09lJntcQFPZ_aCjfpIouoC_gHTbhVWeNhgv1lj3UuP1iQMDk01Ym_o-MY

Thanks for the link, I'm adding it to my toolbox.  :thumbsup:

My valium supply is very limited I'm currently taking 8mg of valium in the morning, afternoon and 9 mg in the evening totaling 25mg of valium but I can only do this for 1 or 2 more days before my supply runs out.

I have to convince my doctor to up the Valium dosage or else I'm going to go back to the Ativan because this anxiety is unbearable. I have to smoke a lot to deal with the anxiety.

Nik, you said you had your own supply of Valium, we didn't understand you meant a few days?  Print out the Ashton Manual and prepare what you are going to say to your Dr.  Be as prepared and as confident as possible.  Smoking being calming is actually a fallacy, it makes you more anxious.  You can research that on google.  I am not suggesting you quit now, that's too much to deal with, but you do need to realize cigarettes are stimulating.  Good luck at the Dr and let us know what happens.

Mary .  Oh, unless you mean pot  :)

Any thoughts on True Bliss gummies? They supposedly have cbd, but no thc. Supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia? I have never smoked pot or eaten any. I do not want any "high." But if anyone knows about these kind of gummies, do they work?

Any thoughts on True Bliss gummies? They supposedly have cbd, but no thc. Supposed to help with anxiety and insomnia? I have never smoked pot or eaten any. I do not want any "high." But if anyone knows about these kind of gummies, do they work?

Joy, I know a lot of different people use cbd, for some it works well ,for others it doesn't work at all or makes them feel bad.  Really the only way you will know is by trying.  :). Mary

Joy, I know a lot of different people use cbd, for some it works well ,for others it doesn't work at all or makes them feel bad.  Really the only way you will know is by trying.  :). Mary

Tx Mary!! Sometimes a person just wants to grab at straws. I have to be careful of that tendency. To your point, probiotics knocked me for a loop....but I know they helped other folks. :smitten:

Tx Mary!! Sometimes a person just wants to grab at straws. I have to be careful of that tendency. To your point, probiotics knocked me for a loop....but I know they helped other folks. :smitten:

Lol, probiotics is the only thing I can take  :).  Benzo's just suck  ;) now I did start out at a low dose of the probiotic and worked my way to a whole one, that may have helped.  💜💜