Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Miracle Recovery After High Doses

[Tw...]

[Tw...]

I quit Xanax 14mg per day along with Klonopin 6mg per day after using that dose for two years and benzodiazepines for twenty years. I quit Seven weeks ago. 

I had to quit cold turkey after entering an inpatient detox facility. They prescribed me an anti- seizure medicine on phenobarbital and now Trileptal to prevent seizures. I was extremely confused just like a Dementia patient for around 30 days. I didn't recognize my family or my husband. I didn't know where I was. I now know that I was experiencing Delirium tremens. I have very little memory of the past 6 weeks. The severe withdrawals occurred around day 10 of quitting benzodiazepines. I had muscle spasms, involuntary body movements, some paranoia, some verbal and physical aggression, auditory and visual hallucinations, complete lack of sleep, severe confusion, derealization, depersonalization, severe panic and anxiety, agoraphobia, impaired fine and gross motor skills, body jerking and twitching, low blood pressure, night sweats, brain fog, and severe shaking. My nurses and doctors tell me that I almost died. While in a confused state from the benzodiazepine withdrawal, I refused to drink or eat anything at all, and I stayed in bed. 

Now, 7 weeks after quitting Xanax and Klonopin, all of my withdrawal symptoms are gone. The only thing left is that I am afraid to work or drive. I have so recently been through tortuous Hell and Back. I am recuperating and recovering. 

I wanted to share my story because,  If I can make it through the Hell of benzodiazepine withdrawal from the Poison, then I have faith that Anyone Can Do It. Just Have Faith and Never Give Up. 

• Like 3
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1

[Tw...]
4 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I quit Xanax 14mg per day along with Klonopin 6mg per day after using that dose for two years and benzodiazepines for twenty years. I quit Seven weeks ago. 

I had to quit cold turkey after entering an inpatient detox facility. They prescribed me an anti- seizure medicine on phenobarbital and now Trileptal to prevent seizures. I was extremely confused just like a Dementia patient for around 30 days. I didn't recognize my family or my husband. I didn't know where I was. I now know that I was experiencing Delirium tremens. I have very little memory of the past 6 weeks. The severe withdrawals occurred around day 10 of quitting benzodiazepines. I had muscle spasms, involuntary body movements, some paranoia, some verbal and physical aggression, auditory and visual hallucinations, complete lack of sleep, severe confusion, derealization, depersonalization, severe panic and anxiety, agoraphobia, impaired fine and gross motor skills, body jerking and twitching, low blood pressure, night sweats, brain fog, and severe shaking. My nurses and doctors tell me that I almost died. While in a confused state from the benzodiazepine withdrawal, I refused to drink or eat anything at all, and I stayed in bed. 

Now, 7 weeks after quitting Xanax and Klonopin, all of my withdrawal symptoms are gone. The only thing left is that I am afraid to work or drive. I have so recently been through tortuous Hell and Back. I am recuperating and recovering. 

I wanted to share my story because,  If I can make it through the Hell of benzodiazepine withdrawal from the Poison, then I have faith that Anyone Can Do It. Just Have Faith and Never Give Up. 

Positive Thinking and use of Positive Coping Skills as well as Prayer and  Seeking Medical attention and Medical Observation post withdrawals Helps a Great deal. 

• Like 2

[Tw...]

Never Give Up ! Be Strong and Have Faith:laugh:

• Like 1

[Ka...]
47 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I don’t normally venture into success stories & this one may not be suitable for those of a nervous disposition.
CT is not advised, is highly risky & I am reminded of this: 

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2018/04/20/why-prescribed-benzo-patients-shouldnt-go-to-detox-or-rehab/

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[Tw...]

I do believe that quitting benzodiazepines by tapering and ideally being supervised by your physician. For me, I had no choice but to quit cold turkey. Now that the withdrawal symptoms are Finally gone , I am glad that I got it all over with. I did receive medical treatment the entire time that I was in benzodiazepine withdrawal for seven weeks, including two emergency rooms for a total of seven days, one detox facility for five days, and one inpatient hospital stay for sixteen days, and lots of outpatient doctors visits. 

[Tw...]

I meant that quitting benzodiazepines with a slow taper which is supervised by your Doctor is the best, safest way to quit. As you can see, I had A lot of scary withdrawal symptoms because I was forced to quit cold turkey and because I took extremely high doses of Xanax and Klonopin for the past two years. I have been told that I am very lucky that I survived the high doses as well as the withdrawal. 

[Tw...]

I read the article in the link above and I need to note that I was not a compliant, prescribed benzodiazepine user. I bought my Xanax and Klonopin from Mexico each month. I live near Mexico, and I would cross the border for over two years of using benzodiazepines at a high doses. Therefore, the article with the link above does not relate to my situation. 

[Tw...]

I also agree that patients who are compliant on benzodiazepines should not go to inpatient detox facilities. A slow taper is best for these individuals. 

[Tw...]

And yes, cold turkey is very risky. I did it from being forced by my family, but at the same time, I am lucky to be alive. 

• Love 1

[Bu...]

Hi @[Tw...],

I am so glad that you are doing so well now.  I can't imagine how horrible that experience was, but your positive attitude is absolutely inspiring!  Wishing you continued healing and a full recovery.

Blessings!❤

• Love 1

[ap...]
10 hours ago, [[T...] said:

That's incredible, you are a hero and just amazing that you survived and came out of it so well. Congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Tw...]
9 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Tw...],

I am so glad that you are doing so well now.  I can't imagine how horrible that experience was, but your positive attitude is absolutely inspiring!  Wishing you continued healing and a full recovery.

Blessings!❤

Thank you so much. Your positive, kind words are very inspiring. Your encouragement is very uplifting. 

• Like 1

[Tw...]
3 hours ago, [[a...] said:

That's incredible, you are a hero and just amazing that you survived and came out of it so well. Congratulations.

Yes everyone tells me that it is amazing that I survived. For anyone still struggling with Benzodiazepine addiction, I would advise to avoid the temptation of increasing your dose when you reach tolerance. I have read now that higher doses will equal worse withdrawals when you quit. That was true for me. 

• Like 2

[or...]
13 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I don’t normally venture into success stories & this one may not be suitable for those of a nervous disposition.
CT is not advised, is highly risky & I am reminded of this: 

https://www.benzoinfo.com/2018/04/20/why-prescribed-benzo-patients-shouldnt-go-to-detox-or-rehab/

This was good to enter into imo Katrina because people will grab onto almost anything they think is a lifeline, me included, but the I believe in everyone doing their own home-work before they start a taper, and definitely a CT. 

As the OP said, she didn't have the choice which is absolutely terrifying for me, as much as I want to be finished with 35 years of using 1 mg of Clonazepam.  I was in many years of Tolerance Withdrawal,  but I know my short CT was worse from my own experience with one at about 2010, which I started the pill in '88.

I hope you'll stick around @[Tw...] and let us know how things are going, your experience seems like a miracle to me, and I believe God still does them ;) oregonlady

• Like 1

[ca...]
15 hours ago, [[T...] said:

This is very brave what you have done and defenitely inspiring. I'm tapering .75mg and it is being so difficult that I'm tempted to give up but reading your post gives me strength. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

[Sw...]

Way to go! And this PROVES that not all who come off benzos will be in forever hell. There are so many factors as to what causes long term withdrawal for some and short term for others, and no one can understand or explain this, but it’s clear as day on this website. We are all going along at different paces. So glad you don’t have to suffer long. God bless you. 

• Like 1

[Pi...]

Amazing story.  You are a very lucky person.  

• Like 1

[Rh...]

You are VERY lucky to have survived a detox/rehab clinic and come out the other side okay in such a quick time!  Many are not so lucky!

I wish you continued healing and am so happy you’re on the other side of things!!! Congrats!  🥳

• Like 1

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)

Am I correct @[Tw...] from other threads that in addition to a forced patient detox facility you were hospitalised for 22 days? Also, that you are on 5 additional medications including prozac given since being CT off benzos? This seems a truly horrid quite dangerous experience one would not wish on anyone after long term physical dependence. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Corrections
  • Like 1

[Tw...]

It was a horrid, dangerous experience indeed but I survived and now I finally have no more withdrawal symptoms after 7 weeks off of the Xanax and Klonopin 

• Love 1

[Tw...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

It was a horrid, dangerous experience indeed but I survived and now I finally have no more withdrawal symptoms after 7 weeks off of the Xanax and Klonopin 

There is Hope for Everyone 

• Like 1

[Ha...]

I feel so much compassion for you. I can't even IMAGINE going CT from benzos. I'm just at the very end of a 2 year taper from a 40 year dependence on Ativan, and it has been complete torture. Things will only get better for you from here! How wonderful that you're off of them now. Hugs to you.

• Like 1

[Tw...]
20 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

I feel so much compassion for you. I can't even IMAGINE going CT from benzos. I'm just at the very end of a 2 year taper from a 40 year dependence on Ativan, and it has been complete torture. Things will only get better for you from here! How wonderful that you're off of them now. Hugs to you.

Thank you for your kind words. It was torture and dangerous quitting benzodiazepines cold turkey. I definitely recommend quitting by using a Taper. I am Happy to hear that you are at the end of your taper from Ativan. It takes faith, hope, patience and perseverance to quit benzodiazepines. Congratulations 🎉!

• Love 1

[Tw...]
On 03/05/2024 at 08:18, [[o...] said:

This was good to enter into imo Katrina because people will grab onto almost anything they think is a lifeline, me included, but the I believe in everyone doing their own home-work before they start a taper, and definitely a CT. 

As the OP said, she didn't have the choice which is absolutely terrifying for me, as much as I want to be finished with 35 years of using 1 mg of Clonazepam.  I was in many years of Tolerance Withdrawal,  but I know my short CT was worse from my own experience with one at about 2010, which I started the pill in '88.

I hope you'll stick around @[Tw...] and let us know how things are going, your experience seems like a miracle to me, and I believe God still does them ;) oregonlady

On 02/05/2024 at 18:22, [[T...] said:

Positive Thinking and use of Positive Coping Skills as well as Prayer and  Seeking Medical attention and Medical Observation post withdrawals Helps a Great deal. 

Dear @[or...]

Your kinds words of encouragement are very uplifting. Thank you for your support. The only problems I have left from the benzodiazepine withdrawal after 7 weeks following forced cold turkey, is I still have some brain fog and fears about driving and returning to work.

• Like 1

[or...]

With your healing going so well now, I'm sure you'll get to a point where you feel more confident :balloon: I think it has a lot to do with determination.  At 71 I probably have more determination to succeed at anything I attempt, than I had when I was younger, oregonlady PS better late than never right ;)