Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Trust your gut. I know you will succeed when and if you are ready! The trauma  and lack of feeling safe in this world will require me to take no action at this time . Ps..I did get my 3 month grey roots dyed. I guess that’s progress????

:clap:

Well done Magnolis! They can take away our sanity but NOT our looks.

Looking for feedback per dosing.

Now, I understand the V "lag have been reading about. Looks like my big jump confirmed such ( Nov. to today). May be stabilizing?

Question:

I am taking 2 mg AM (no noticeable affect---at all) and 4 mg late PM which is effective. With a trazadone!

Wonder if before I start a cut, in a week or so, if I should try taking the 6 mg at PM and then cutting from that point.

Any suggestions.

Cheers

Hi Blue,

With the long half life of V that should probably be fine, it depends on how your body metabolizes it. Do you tend to get interdose withdrawals? When I was at 6mg I took 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening, and I tapered down the evening dose first so now I only dose in the morning. But to each his own!

Thanks OliveKitty

Not getting anything near the unpleasant inter dose sx after four months of X--that was what woke me up--"this is no good and was unexpected!" Now, likely experiencing mild withdrawal sx with the V--fluctuates from day to day but not getting worse.

How did your cuts at PM effect sleep.

And I see you really made consistent cuts between Sept. and Dec. 2017--how did that go for you.

Think will make first cut end of Dec. similar to your method.

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Val,

Completely get it - do what you need/feel is best for you.  Cut and hold has worked well for many.  I can tell you though that I have I am SUPER careful with my method.  I have pills set up for 4 days in advance in bags, labeled (with the pill containers in different colors and coded); I have a scale for my liquid to double check and a spreadsheet which I have it all calculated and I check off every single day.  I know our benzo brains can get screwed up but I feel better with it all laid out - it's a little "OCD" but I have had to do it this way b/c my brain has forgotten doses, or if I took a dose, etc. 

Anyhow, I know that once I am off this crap and healed, my success story will be one for the books because things have been that bad in this for me.  I have no choice but to get off, none - it's the only way to improve my quality of life long term at only age 41.  I'm in tolerance and still very symptomatic, even though much better than I was.  Doctors here are also starting to take people off, and too quickly.  I'm not letting that happen to me.  Right now, I have a doctor that's willing to support me and provide all the meds for a slow taper, as long as it takes.  The Valium c/o was definitely an updose to my system.  All the tremors/trembling, akathisia went away/improved, though many things didn't.  So I'm afraid when I come back down, it's gonna all come back but I'm having to just take it a day at a time right now.  All I can do.  I know you all get it.

Magnolis,

Don't blame yourself for "crashing".  It could have happened no matter what - I've seen it with others.  The unpredictability in this is just cruel and we constantly blame ourselves.  The truth of the matter is that NONE of us were warned of what these meds had the potential to do to us - that they are often harder to get off of than street drugs. 

As far as looks, I saw myself in the mirror today and found that I look like I'm about 55, at age 41.  All of my hair is still coming out and very thin, it's grayed and I'm super skinny.  It's sad but I try to remind myself that all of my hair will eventually grow back, I will gain weight and dye my hair later.   

[81...]

Hello ,

I need help .

I am 68 . Been on Valium for 40 years . Current dose is 12.5 mg.

I need to cut down to 10mg .

I only have pills and want to microtaper.

I was given a taper of 0.001-.0.002 daily . I take 5 2.5mg doses .

I want to eliminate one .

Is this ok to do and slow enough . My 2.5 mg tabs weigh 0.085gm

So it would be either a 0.001 for 85 days or 0.002 for 42 days .

I am scared and need some help .

Thank you

I am 68 . Been on Valium for 40 years . Current dose is 12.5 mg. I need to cut down to 10mg .

I hope this isn't a triggering question . . . but why do you want to "cut down to 10 mgs"? Why not zero? Most people on here want to "cut down" to zero.

BTW either of your tapering scenarios would work. Each seems slow enough to me.

So, just wondering why you want to stay on 10 mgs of valium.

Best to you,

Katz

[81...]

Hello,

Thanks for responding .

I am remaining on 10mg for now , because of a serious health condition.

My md does not know I am on 12.5 mg . So I need to get rid of it .

So one lady on a different group said I was on too long and my age was an issue.

She made it sound like I would die .

So now I am not sure what to do .

That’s why I decided on microtapering.

Very scared now 😢

Hello Mary,

Age is not the problem, so don't worry about that.

Tapering from the dose where you are,  is relatively "easy".

Perhaps you could search for the Ashton manual online, it's free and more or less the bible for people on benzos.

Loads of information.

Wishing you a smooth taper. You can do it! :thumbsup:

Now, I understand the V "lag have been reading about. Looks like my big jump confirmed such ( Nov. to today). May be stabilizing?

Question:

I am taking 2 mg AM (no noticeable affect---at all) and 4 mg late PM which is effective. With a trazadone!

Wonder if before I start a cut, in a week or so, if I should try taking the 6 mg at PM and then cutting from that point.

Any suggestions.

Cheers

Hi Blue,

With the long half life of V that should probably be fine, it depends on how your body metabolizes it. Do you tend to get interdose withdrawals? When I was at 6mg I took 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening, and I tapered down the evening dose first so now I only dose in the morning. But to each his own!

Thanks OliveKitty

Not getting anything near the unpleasant inter dose sx after four months of X--that was what woke me up--"this is no good and was unexpected!" Now, likely experiencing mild withdrawal sx with the V--fluctuates from day to day but not getting worse.

And I see you really made consistent cuts between Sept. and Dec. 2017--how did that go for you.

Cheers

Hi Blue,

My dr suggested I taper the night dose first to wean me from using it as a sleep med. I don't suffer too bad with insomnia, I have had some rough nights but nothing compared to what others on here experience. I took plenty of melatonin at night and a bunch of other sleep herbs and was ok. Yes, I cut pretty consistently in 2017, leading into 2018, but then in 2018 I ended up doing a 1.5 year hold while I dealt with some pretty big life changes. It turned out that the hold really helped me so much! Now I am tapering again and so far I have been relatively symptom free.

I hope your taper is manageable!

Mary56, I am Mary5588, we must be cousins  :D. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?  I am no expert but I have tapered from Valium and don't want you to be scared.  We will be here to support you.  Lots of people on here your age and older, so don't let that be a worry.  I really believe in tapering slowly though, and believe Ashton's Manual is too fast for some of us.  You can always start slow and if you are doing well, speed up.  As I said, we are here, Mary 💜💜

Question:

Any suggestions.

Cheers

Hi Blue,

Thanks OliveKitty

Cheers

Hi Blue,

My dr suggested I taper the night dose first to wean me from using it as a sleep med. I don't suffer too bad with insomnia, I have had some rough nights but nothing compared to what others on here experience. I took plenty of melatonin at night and a bunch of other sleep herbs and was ok. Yes, I cut pretty consistently in 2017, leading into 2018, but then in 2018 I ended up doing a 1.5 year hold while I dealt with some pretty big life changes. It turned out that the hold really helped me so much! Now I am tapering again and so far I have been relatively symptom free.

I hope your taper is manageable!

Thanks Olive for your info. and encouragement. Very good--symptoms free---that is worth a pot of gold!

Think, I shall experiment and switch to all PM dose. Ashton seems to favor such and emphasizes that trial and error is part of the process. The 2 mg V in AM is like taking a multi-vitamin--no real downgrading of mild sx. Will just try incorporating it at PM and start the cutting from there.

Cheers

Hi All

This is just an observation for those using Roxanne liquid Diazepam. The other day I read the leaflet that came with my prescription, and is says that the flavor of this poison is WINTERGREEN SPICE! I have really been struggling lately, and I apologize for such a trivial post when so many of us are suffering, but that is not AT ALL what it tastes like. I think something more like CHERNOBYL TOILET SEAT would be more fitting. Those of you who are taking it probably relate. Maybe we could suggest a new flavor name to Roxanne. All suggestions welcome : )

Tom

Hi All

This is just an observation for those using Roxanne liquid Diazepam. The other day I read the leaflet that came with my prescription, and is says that the flavor of this poison is WINTERGREEN SPICE! I have really been struggling lately, and I apologize for such a trivial post when so many of us are suffering, but that is not AT ALL what it tastes like. I think something more like CHERNOBYL TOILET SEAT would be more fitting. Those of you who are taking it probably relate. Maybe we could suggest a new flavor name to Roxanne. All suggestions welcome : )

Tom

Lol, lol.  It is nasty :laugh:  I always mix it right before drinking it with some light cranberry juice and very little unsweetened tea with some water, it helps but it's still pretty nasty.  I will try to think of a name.  Yours is really right on the money  :laugh::D

Hey, Tom, about this:

The other day I read the leaflet that came with my prescription, and is says that the flavor of this poison is WINTERGREEN SPICE! I have really been struggling lately, and I apologize for such a trivial post when so many of us are suffering, but that is not AT ALL what it tastes like. I think something more like CHERNOBYL TOILET SEAT would be more fitting.

I couldn't agree more. When I first tasted it, I have to admit, I heaved. Wintergreen spice, my aunt Fanny. Your post is not trivial at all. The awful taste is what drove me to ask for help in finding another method of tapering. Fortunately folks on here knew how to help. Ugh. What a nasty taste. Although a buddy of mine professed to love it.  I sure don't get it.

Anyhow, thanks for the chuckle. I remember that vile-tasting syrupy stuff all too well. Brrrr.

Hope you are doing okay.

:smitten:

Katz

Katz

Hi All

Tom

Haha! I know it's not funny but your flavor profile definitely made me laugh!  :laugh: :laugh:

Mary 56,

You can do this. I’m also in my 60’s and was on temazapam for 25 years. I crossed over to Valium at 11 mg. I’m now at 2.75. Age is no factor. Please go slow.

Tom,

I agree with your assessment.  I don't even know why they put a flavoring description on it.  I can't even imagine taking it straight.  I think it's nice that you can still find a little bit of humor while suffering so much.  :D

Mary,

Do you think you've finally adjusted?  I just moved over another 1 mg so still very low in it at 1.25 mg of my total 6.25 mg but to make it even and avoid pill splitting, I'm thinking of converting another 1 mg at least.  I do wonder if overall, it's more accurate since there are pill variations that you just don't get with the liquid.  Still feeling things out, though.....I can't seem to find a pattern to my symptoms, particularly my ear issues, which are rough every other day for whatever reason.  Still better than they were before but very difficult to cope with in a busy home.

Tom,

I agree with your assessment.  I don't even know why they put a flavoring description on it.  I can't even imagine taking it straight.  I think it's nice that you can still find a little bit of humor while suffering so much.  :D

Mary,

Do you think you've finally adjusted?  I just moved over another 1 mg so still very low in it at 1.25 mg of my total 6.25 mg but to make it even and avoid pill splitting, I'm thinking of converting another 1 mg at least.  I do wonder if overall, it's more accurate since there are pill variations that you just don't get with the liquid.  Still feeling things out, though.....I can't seem to find a pattern to my symptoms, particularly my ear issues, which are rough every other day for whatever reason.  Still better than they were before but very difficult to cope with in a busy home.

I do believe I am beginning too.  I crossed very slowly because my pills were Teva and this is Roxann.

I know most Dr 's won't think that a big thing, and it may not be, but after what happened to so many people on k generics, I wasn't taking any chances, so I really only feel like I have done a true Hold but like a month.  I am feeling better, certainly can think a lot better, and other smaller symptoms seem to be easing up.  My ear issues seem to be some better too, at least part of the time.  But it does taste nasty  :laugh: :laugh:  Hope you keep improving Mom.  I read you have your children home .  You are super woman in my opinion!!  Love you, Mary 💜💜💜💜

Val,

Completely get it - do what you need/feel is best for you.  Cut and hold has worked well for many.  I can tell you though that I have I am SUPER careful with my method.  I have pills set up for 4 days in advance in bags, labeled (with the pill containers in different colors and coded); I have a scale for my liquid to double check and a spreadsheet which I have it all calculated and I check off every single day.  I know our benzo brains can get screwed up but I feel better with it all laid out - it's a little "OCD" but I have had to do it this way b/c my brain has forgotten doses, or if I took a dose, etc. 

Anyhow, I know that once I am off this crap and healed, my success story will be one for the books because things have been that bad in this for me.  I have no choice but to get off, none - it's the only way to improve my quality of life long term at only age 41.  I'm in tolerance and still very symptomatic, even though much better than I was.  Doctors here are also starting to take people off, and too quickly.  I'm not letting that happen to me.  Right now, I have a doctor that's willing to support me and provide all the meds for a slow taper, as long as it takes.  The Valium c/o was definitely an updose to my system.  All the tremors/trembling, akathisia went away/improved, though many things didn't.  So I'm afraid when I come back down, it's gonna all come back but I'm having to just take it a day at a time right now.  All I can do.  I know you all get it.

Magnolis,

Don't blame yourself for "crashing".  It could have happened no matter what - I've seen it with others.  The unpredictability in this is just cruel and we constantly blame ourselves.  The truth of the matter is that NONE of us were warned of what these meds had the potential to do to us - that they are often harder to get off of than street drugs. 

As far as looks, I saw myself in the mirror today and found that I look like I'm about 55, at age 41.  All of my hair is still coming out and very thin, it's grayed and I'm super skinny.  It's sad but I try to remind myself that all of my hair will eventually grow back, I will gain weight and dye my hair later. 

Mom of 7, you sound SO much better than when I landed here last summer. I'm so happy for you. I really think you'll make it.

Well, my experiment last night taking all 6 mg at PM keep me asleep. But--woke up feeling lethargic and less than enthusiastic about starting another rather inactive day. Of course, no tea or coffee to kick it off just a cup of lavender/chamomile tea.

Back to the old schedule 4 mg with 50 trazadone at night and 2 mg daytime.

Have to go to the DMV next week. Think I will wait to make first tiny cut thereafter. DMV in my state is no fun at all six different documents are required.

No eye twitches today but eyes are heavy. I view the eye twitches with humor normally right eye but yesterday had the left eye twitching--it must have felt left out. They are subtle and doubt visible to others. It is the least concerning of symptoms and will fade away.

I am trying to not take all the sx too personally thus the eye twitch levity.

I call it the--Chief Inspector Dreyfus syndrome (Pink Panther).

Cheers

Mary and Val,

You make me want to cry by your kindness.  I can't even tell you how bad I got - it was pure and total hell and desperation - well, you could tell it, obviously, by my messages.  I am definitely scarred and have battle wounds but I'm praying that Valium will continue to be kinder to me than Klonopin was and that a slow, slow taper will help.  I know that's what we all hope for.  It's hard to know, honestly, because there is no way of predicting what's in store with this.  I'm far from symptom free, that's for sure, but if I can maintain this during taper, I think I could be ok.

Mary, that's so great to hear and makes me think that I may go ahead and do the other 1 mg in a couple of weeks.  Like you, I am being very cautious because I too know that generics vary - I've lived it and I know many on K have as well.  Many doctors deny that (my previous idiot one) but my new one totally says that there's a variation and recognizes it.  You also have ear symptoms?  Yes, my children are home and I'm so glad - my heart was broken, broken, thinking that I was going to have to be apart from them for a long time.  It's hard about every other day here with them b/c of symptoms but sometimes, when I get the good windows, I feel such joy at feeling more  "normal".  I was even able to take them to the park a couple of times and to the library last week. 

Blue, that's funny about your eye lid but yeah, not too bad of a symptom compared to many others.  I did experience actual eyeball twitching and that was a bit bizarre as so many things are in this.

Mary and Val,

You make me want to cry by your kindness.  I can't even tell you how bad I got - it was pure and total hell and desperation - well, you could tell it, obviously, by my messages.  I am definitely scarred and have battle wounds but I'm praying that Valium will continue to be kinder to me than Klonopin was and that a slow, slow taper will help.  I know that's what we all hope for.  It's hard to know, honestly, because there is no way of predicting what's in store with this.  I'm far from symptom free, that's for sure, but if I can maintain this during taper, I think I could be ok.

Mary, that's so great to hear and makes me think that I may go ahead and do the other 1 mg in a couple of weeks.  Like you, I am being very cautious because I too know that generics vary - I've lived it and I know many on K have as well.  Many doctors deny that (my previous idiot one) but my new one totally says that there's a variation and recognizes it.  You also have ear symptoms?  Yes, my children are home and I'm so glad - my heart was broken, broken, thinking that I was going to have to be apart from them for a long time.  It's hard about every other day here with them b/c of symptoms but sometimes, when I get the good windows, I feel such joy at feeling more  "normal".  I was even able to take them to the park a couple of times and to the library last week. 

Blue, that's funny about your eye lid but yeah, not too bad of a symptom compared to many others.  I did experience actual eyeball twitching and that was a bit bizarre as so many things are in this.

Mom, it's really nice to hear you are having times of enjoying your children, that means everything  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi V group:

Have a question:

Is there any advantage for quicker recovery or reducing SXs by using the--liquid valium. Read about many using such and wonder---I am fairly new to the group.

Thank you for reading my concerns--have a good day!

Cheers and keep on smiling!

blue, hi  :)

Yes, fluctuations of symptoms and intensity is very common, and yes,  very irritating.

About changing to Liquid, if you were really struggling, changing might make sense, but if you aren't, what you have to remember, just because you change , there is no guarantee, liquid will work better for you.  There are so many variables, you can't be positive it will help.  So that is something you would need to give a lot of thought.  Mary 💜

Mom of 7 this is such a tough war but you'll come out stronger and wiser, your children will see you get through it and they'll benefit from your wisdom. None of us will be the same after this. Even now, we're not the same.

Val,

Yes, I do believe you are right but enduring the hell of it and getting out of it is certainly the hard part!!  Hugs!

Blue,

Liquid Valium has advantage if you are wanting to liquid microtaper.  Some do well with it and others don't.  I'm still "trialing" it with only 1.25 of my current 6.25 mg dose and not yet sure b/c of such a long Valium half life.  I'm reducing by a measly .01mg per day but I don't care - getting to 0 and making it through this hell, surviving and functioning, is my primary goal.....even if it takes me years.  Even if you don't use the Roxane liquid Valium, there are other ways to microtaper if you wanted to go that route.