Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Are Mylan and Teva Labs?  So there is a difference?  I know your on pills and Im on liquid but Walgreens switched my lab too and I think that could be part of my problem.

Definitely different. I have not had personal experience with this problem before but I read about it a lot. My mistake was not looking before I had left the pharmacy. Always check to make sure they dont change your brands. I keep reading Mylan is crap but Im hoping to find a " crap approximation percentage" from someone who has had it happen before...

AAAARGH switched to Mylan from Teva. Has anyome ever had this happen? I cant switch pharmacies- in MS controlled substances cant be transferred, and my doc has left. I am not even halfway through my taper. I read mylan is like a sugar pill. If anyone has been through this can you chime in? I have enough to updose some which may be what I have to do next month. Stupid Walgreens!!

I've had the same issue kitty when I got my pills from Walmart. There was a definite difference in potency so I switched to another pharmacy to get the same brand every time.  I noticed it with my pain meds also. I think a lot has to do with the different fillers and binders used between companies.  :)--V

Hi Kitty, I had problems with Mylan. I had to switch pharmacies to get a better quality generic (Watson).

Kitty,

I think Grapejuice said her pharmacy switched her to Mylan and it felt like taking a cut while maintaining the same dose. Not sure if I remember the details correctly so you can write her to

Ask. I've heard Mylan is less strong. I've always managed to keep the same generic so far during my taper.

Hope

Luckily they are getting in a different brand for my last 4 bottles. But I have 2 mylan bottles I cant return. I just didnt catch it in time. Im hoping I wont need it- 4 bottles gives me 3 months to drop each mg. - really hoping I can do that. I was doing that before this months stupid mistake- hopefully I will get back soon to where I was and resume my previous taper. Thank you❤️

Luckily they are getting in a different brand for my last 4 bottles. But I have 2 mylan bottles I cant return. I just didnt catch it in time. Im hoping I wont need it- 4 bottles gives me 3 months to drop each mg. - really hoping I can do that. I was doing that before this months stupid mistake- hopefully I will get back soon to where I was and resume my previous taper. Thank you❤️

Every time I get blood drawn now  (the perks of being a cancer patient) I freak out a little bit after hearing your plasma story Kitty. Of course it's only a small amount compared to the plasma donation and it hasn't caused me any problems as far as I know. But I still freak out just a little.

Kitty - when I was on Klonopin and clueless still, my generic was switched from Teva to something else and it was awful. Now I always check at the pharmacy before paying for any med. these drugs are super cheap. If you can another Rx, you can find a pharmacy that can get Teva and go there even if your insurance won't cover it yet. I just had to buy a month and it was like $10 out of pocket for generic Librium. (I had left the previous bottle in my really hot car for aver a half hr- it was probably 100 degrees in there -don't do this- and as my bad sxs dragged on, I wondered if the pills lost potency so I got a new bottle). But my pdoc will call in a new Rx anytime I ask.

If you can't find a doc nearby to prescribe, can you find someone further away? It sucks to feel pressure to finish by a certain date! My pdoc is in a different state (VA) than where I live or where I get my meds (MD) so maybe controlled substances can be called In across state lines everywhere?  No, you can't transfer controlled substances. But surely someone will write another prescription for you. I hope you find someone...call around. Will your cardiologist Rx it if you explain the situation? Or maybe ask your pharmacist- they might know what doctors in the area are Rx'ing Valium since they fill it? CVS is where I used to get Teva.

As if this weren't hard enough- so many other stupid things make this even more complicated!

Every time I get blood drawn now  (the perks of being a cancer patient) I freak out a little bit after hearing your plasma story Kitty. Of course it's only a small amount compared to the plasma donation and it hasn't caused me any problems as far as I know. But I still freak out just a little.

Oh I so know what ya mean.... I have a lab drawn every 10 days & i also am scheduled to have a prp procedure in 3 weeks where they take several vials of blood. ( i can tell whenever i have it done, but nothing like what kitty went thru!!) my heart is palpling right now just thinking about it. ACK!!! just breathe....... :smitten:

Kitty - when I was on Klonopin and clueless still, my generic was switched from Teva to something else and it was awful. Now I always check at the pharmacy before paying for any med. these drugs are super cheap. If you can another Rx, you can find a pharmacy that can get Teva and go there even if your insurance won't cover it yet. I just had to buy a month and it was like $10 out of pocket for generic Librium. (I had left the previous bottle in my really hot car for aver a half hr- it was probably 100 degrees in there -don't do this- and as my bad sxs dragged on, I wondered if the pills lost potency so I got a new bottle). But my pdoc will call in a new Rx anytime I ask.

If you can't find a doc nearby to prescribe, can you find someone further away? It sucks to feel pressure to finish by a certain date! My pdoc is in a different state (VA) than where I live or where I get my meds (MD) so maybe controlled substances can be called In across state lines everywhere?  No, you can't transfer controlled substances. But surely someone will write another prescription for you. I hope you find someone...call around. Will your cardiologist Rx it if you explain the situation? Or maybe ask your pharmacist- they might know what doctors in the area are Rx'ing Valium since they fill it? CVS is where I used to get Teva.

As if this weren't hard enough- so many other stupid things make this even more complicated!

Thank you so much for the kind advice. I wish I could find a new doc but I spent a few hours yesterday on the phone trying. Found a psych in AL taking new patients- $400 first visit $175 afterward. Then I realized I cant pick up a benzo in AL without an AL drivers license! I finally resigned myself- for now instead of worrying I will just hope the new brand Walgreens has access to, IVAX, is good. If so and if I can continue the second half of my taper at a similar or just slightly slower rate this script may be enough. If its no good Im screwed but it is OWNED by Teva so Im hoping for the best. In the meantime, if its good that gives me time to get lower and maybe find a doc that understands what Im doing. Its tough to be mad at doctors for not prescribing benzos when we are all on here mad because our docs put us on benzos!  :P

Oh I so know what ya mean.... I have a lab drawn every 10 days & i also am scheduled to have a prp procedure in 3 weeks where they take several vials of blood. ( i can tell whenever i have it done, but nothing like what kitty went thru!!) my heart is palpling right now just thinking about it. ACK!!! just breathe....... :smitten:

PLEASE dont let my stupid plasma mistake make you nervous! I actually gave a pint of blood a few months before that and if it caused me any problems at all I did not notice anything out of a regular old bad taper day. My cardiologist looked at me like I was a martian when I told him about the plasma thing- " do you know how much they take?" Uhhh yeah I do now, whatever amounts worth of " up to 200 hours in plasma" ughgghg. But now Im having weird visuals, and nasty assed headaches- but feeling up to trying teeny cuts again. So please dont let my experience scare you- they took a lot of doses out of me. And whole blood is a whole different thing- it shouldnt even put a dent in yours❤️❤️❤️

Thank you so much for the kind advice. I wish I could find a new doc but I spent a few hours yesterday on the phone trying. Found a psych in AL taking new patients- $400 first visit $175 afterward. Then I realized I cant pick up a benzo in AL without an AL drivers license! I finally resigned myself- for now instead of worrying I will just hope the new brand Walgreens has access to, IVAX, is good. If so and if I can continue the second half of my taper at a similar or just slightly slower rate this script may be enough. If its no good Im screwed but it is OWNED by Teva so Im hoping for the best. In the meantime, if its good that gives me time to get lower and maybe find a doc that understands what Im doing. Its tough to be mad at doctors for not prescribing benzos when we are all on here mad because our docs put us on benzos!  :P

You can always call the company to find out exactly what you are getting. For instance I started with Actavis and it changed to Mayne. Turns out they were both distributors of Watson. The markings on the pills were identical and I couldn't tell a difference. So you have to show your driver's license at the pharmacy for benzos? Here in Texas they just throw benzos out the drive through window at you, no questions asked. Sort of freaks me out honestly.  It's the Wild West out here  :D

Oh yeah Hope not only that but they ask you for info while they are holding your license. MS and AL always had a kind of reciprocity thing going but not when it comes to benzos. I hope I dont need to move to TX - hopefully this will be enough lol. Otherwise I will just move out there with you for a week and get a doc and one more script lol >:D

The pharmacist said these pills look the same and are owned by the same ppl so he suspects it should be close. Also he said no one ever complains about mylan so it seems none of them are in WD!

Oh yeah Hope not only that but they ask you for info while they are holding your license. MS and AL always had a kind of reciprocity thing going but not when it comes to benzos. I hope I dont need to move to TX - hopefully this will be enough lol. Otherwise I will just move out there with you for a week and get a doc and one more script lol >:D

I'll send you to my pdoc so he can see I'm not the only tough benzo case in the world  :laugh: ok he knows I'm not the only one but I'm only his second patient he has dealt with personally who has had such a rough taper. Lucky me.

Oh yuck! My doc that had me on ambien and xanax tried to put me on klonopin for a month as my taper program. I got her to listen to what I had read on here. Im sorry she left but glad she doubled my dose so my 6 mo script could last a lot longer...

$400 is ridiculous for a first visit ESP when they aren't even going to help you kitty- all you need is an Rx. In MD, I have to show my license too. But if you get your script in AL, can't you bring it to s pharmacy in MS and show your MS license? That's what I do- my doc is in VA but I fill the script near my house in MD. They don't care who wrote the script or what state it was written in.

Maybe you can find someone not a psychiatrist- like maybe a primary care doc? Or neurologist?

Well- I'm glad you have some supply for now.

Nope- I tried that early on when I was seeing a shrink in AL- had to get my benzos filled in AL. MS pharmacy would not fill benzo script from out of state. Now painkillers thats another story altogether. Thats like candy here. Man, I had a script for vicodin when I had a tooth implant done. I never needed it so it sat and sat. One day dude comes over to work on my husbands computer and goes to the bathroom and steals it. So now I take labels off my valium and put it in obscure drawers. I think I will leave the bottle of mylan crap out as a DECOY!

Oh I got the script from the VERY helpful Walgreens pharmacist. He said give him a weeks notice and he will keep getting the IVAX in for me. Guess what the IVAX says on the pill- TEVA! I was so happy youd have thought I won the lottery.

Oh I got the script from the VERY helpful Walgreens pharmacist. He said give him a weeks notice and he will keep getting the IVAX in for me. Guess what the IVAX says on the pill- TEVA! I was so happy youd have thought I won the lottery.

Yay  :smitten:

Great news Kitty!

Kitty- good news. Benzo lottery - lol!

Crazy abt the Vicodin theft! Omg.

Met a 94 yo woman yesterday who is on 5 mg of Klonopin every night. That's 100 mg Valium! She was shaking all over the place and the docs don't know why. Hmmmm. Her son says she freaks out if he misses giving her a dose so he's careful not to miss it. But too old for a taper and w/d so I didn't bring it up. Tragic really.

I hope everyone has a decent long weekend!

Thanks yall!!!

Oh thats so sad. My hairdresser said she has an older client hooked on high doses of K- she just cant bring hersekf to get off of it even though shes miserable on it. So sad that doctors seem to think well they are old anyway so just leave em on it. Just so sad.

I'm going to post this on the daily micro taper thread too so sorry if you read this twice. 

Builder you helped a little a few weeks ago but I need more clarification so if you see this please lend your awesome math brain and knowledge about liquid diazepam :)

I am on Liquid Diazepam Intensol 5mg per 1ml (I was squirting it undiluted directly into my mouth but changed this week to mixing it with a little bit of water before swallowing)

I was doing great after reinstating making .02 cuts every 5-10 days with very mild anxiety as only symptom.  Then did a drop of .07 and immediately felt REALLY bad 2 days later.  So I up dosed to previous dose.  Things continued to worsen.  After 22 days I up dosed back to where I started which was a 1/2mg up dose to 5mg.  Ive been here 4 days and not feeling ANY better maybe a little worse.  Can someone see what Im doing wrong or did wrong?

1.  If i was stable at this dose before why am I not stabilizing now?  Did I fry myself?

2.  Does anyone have experience doing a taper with diazepam Intensol?

3.  Builder you once said this was not good for tapering and the 1:1 solution would be better.  Do you think I should ask to switch or do you think Im ok sticking with this one?

4.  Im holding now so does it matter that I'm just mixing my dose with an unmeasured small amount of water each time?

5.  Builder again :)  You was told me figuring the math isn't that hard but for me right now it is VERY hard.  It is taking everything I have to hit the right keys when I type.  My comprehension ability is shot so please forgive me for asking again.

...if I'm at 5mg intensol 5mg to 1 ml  how would I lower by .02 every 5 days?  What would I mix?  My prescription is for a 30ml bottle only and I don't want to make a big batch starting out so how would I do it everyday?  would it be 49ml water + 1ml intensol?

so 50ml  then 5 days later

48ml  then 5 days later

46ml and so on????

This question is for builder or ANYONE who is tapering with liquid diazepam intensol

Please help!  My brain is mush.  Sorry for all the questions in one post!

Does anyone know how long it might take to stabilize on an updose of valium?? 

I went back up to the dose I was normal at which was a 1/2 mg updose.  Im on day 8 of updose and still feeling pretty bad anxiety. Day 6 was good but went back down hill.

When I reinstated after 4 week detox I felt normal on day 6 or 7.