Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Sleepy, how are you doing right now? Can you post some more info? Many people can handle a fast taper like what you are describing but I can't even manage to taper a half mg a month, which is a fairly common amount. If you are looking for recommendations on taper amounts and speed can you provide some info on how you are feeling and why you have decided on that amount?

As awful as it sounds, take reassurance that a drastic CNS shake up will stabilize eventually. Those big hard cuts and switches probably shook his brain hard. From all I have read it ALWAYS heals but sometimes all you can do is keep trying. When I started I had to updose about 10% from my original dose then wait to get somewhat stable. That was such a massive cut- Im so sorry that happened. It took me over 3 months just to start feeling better from my " accidental" one day mistake- time cannot go by fast enough when it comes to healing. Hopefully relief will come soon.

Thanks for responding, you were the only one who did. It seemed like such an easy question. Right now I am anxious and depressed so will be holding. The reason I decided on that amount was because that is what I have been doing but now that I am on a lower dose and getting symptoms I thought maybe I should slow down but don't know what to slow down to. I hope that is clear, I guess I have trouble expressing myself. The under 3mg couldnt make suggestions so they sent me to this forum. I don't know where to post this question🤷🏼‍♀️. Thank you.

Sleepy, how are you doing right now? Can you post some more info? Many people can handle a fast taper like what you are describing but I can't even manage to taper a half mg a month, which is a fairly common amount. If you are looking for recommendations on taper amounts and speed can you provide some info on how you are feeling and why you have decided on that amount?

Does anyone know if the liquid diazepam intensol 5mg/1ml solution loses potency after being diluted and sitting for a day?  It says on the box to use immediately after diluting.  It does not say this on the 1mg/1ml solution.  I started diluting in morning 9 days ago without making a cut and Im feeling really bad.

Please if anyone knows anythings about using the intensol 5mg/1ml solution.  I need to know if Im doing this wrong.

Builder,

I have read your older posts from years ago and you state that it needs to be used right away and the intensol is not the one people should taper from.  You also state in your old posts that it must be used in 90 days. If you could explain why you know that it would make me feel better.  Have you known anyone to taper from this solution?

Im scared and paranoid.  The box clearly states to use immediately after diluting.  It also states that the original bottle should be discarded after 90 days.  So that is telling me it can lose potency.

If you could explain why you know this I would be grateful because Im a scared mom of two that is holding and getting worse 9 days after starting this dilution practice.

I can not find anyone who has used the intensol.  If you know of people who used it successfully I would love to hear about it to ease my mind.

Thanks for responding, you were the only one who did. It seemed like such an easy question. Right now I am anxious and depressed so will be holding. The reason I decided on that amount was because that is what I have been doing but now that I am on a lower dose and getting symptoms I thought maybe I should slow down but don't know what to slow down to. I hope that is clear, I guess I have trouble expressing myself. The under 3mg couldnt make suggestions so they sent me to this forum. I don't know where to post this question🤷🏼‍♀️. Thank you.

The trouble is there is no specific answer... some people can only just handle 1mg V reduction about every 20 months to 2years...

But I dont see too many that can sustain 10% every 10 days...

So it comes down to personalising your taper...

My Advice, for what little its worth, would be...

Get Very stable by holding and/or dose correcting (if real bad).

Pick a low % per Month that you Know you can handle, and go from there... (5% per month??)

Adjusting up or down as per Your SX, -Holding if things get bad...

You might do a lot of adjusting -which would suit a micro taper better.. or you might prefer more of a cut n hold...

Either way you will need to change your doses every month or two, to match your % per month as you reduce... (unless you are reading your SX very well indeed, -and adjusting that way)

Builder,

I have read your older posts from years ago and you state that it needs to be used right away and the intensol is not the one people should taper from.  You also state in your old posts that it must be used in 90 days. If you could explain why you know that it would make me feel better.  Have you known anyone to taper from this solution?

Im scared and paranoid.  The box clearly states to use immediately after diluting.  It also states that the original bottle should be discarded after 90 days.  So that is telling me it can lose potency.

If you could explain why you know this I would be grateful because Im a scared mom of two that is holding and getting worse 9 days after starting this dilution practice.

I can not find anyone who has used the intensol.  If you know of people who used it successfully I would love to hear about it to ease my mind.

No, Intensol is  NOT the preferred liquid for tapering, but it will work.

And I have already explained...Intensol is basically a prepared solution of alcohol, water, and diazepam.  Adding more water is NOT going to change the diazepam.  The reason the instructions say use immediately is because its an alcohol solvent, and is subject to evaporation if not stored in a sealed container.  Your Intensol is not much different than the vodka mix many folks do, and store for weeks with no problem.

I can't imagine why you would even need to keep the original Rx more than 90 days, but if you do keep it more than 90 days, then discard it.

Tapering causes sxs.  Its not your liquid that's causing them, its the taper.

And if you just can't get past your fear of the Intensol, then use something else.  Ask your doc for the 5mg=5ml (1:1) Oral Solution.  Or switch to the vodka method.

Builder...thank you for expanding on that.

Do you believe switching to the 5mg/5ml solution would cause a change in my symptoms?  Or will I be ok switching?

Also Im not tapering.  Still holding after 9 weeks.  Was getting much better until I started practicing with dilution and storing it 9 days ago.  Then it went down hill.  I keep it sealed tight in small ball jars and stored in a dark box away from light.  I make sure temp is ok.

I know I sound paranoid so please understand Im coming from a place of complete fear.  I have not been stable since April.  So when things suddenly got worse the only change I made was the dilution and storage.  and this is the info that I see from Roxane...

Proper Use of an IntensolTM

An Intensol is a concentrated oral solution as compared to standard oral liquid medications. It is recommended

that an

Intensol be mixed with liquid or semi-solid food such as water, juices, soda or soda-like beverages, applesauce and puddings.

Use only the calibrated dropper provided with this product. Draw into the dropper the amount prescribed for a single

dose. Then squeeze the dropper contents into a liquid or semi-solid food. Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds.

The Intensol formulation blends quickly and completely.

The entire amount of the mixture, of drug and liquid or drug and

food, should be consumed immediately.

Do not store for future use

As for the 90 Days....I have and older bottle that Ive been saving incase of emergency.  Its about 90 days since last opened.  Westward labs is out of stock of their Liquid Intensol until August 1st so I will have to use the old bottle for a week because I run out this week.  That why I bring up the 90 days.

I know I sound paranoid so please understand Im coming from a place of complete fear.  I have not been stable since April. 

Please don't be offended, but I'm pretty sure that's the real problem.

And since you are so paranoid about the Intensol, switching to the 5=5 would probably actually make things better for you.

Builder

Im not offended at all.  I know your probably right.  My Dr is going to switch me to the 5/5.  Im being helped by the same woman that helped you. J.  She says once I get started on this micro taper at the correct rate I will begin to feel better and my confidence will return and the fear will lift. 

Thank you again

Builder

Im not offended at all.  I know your probably right.  My Dr is going to switch me to the 5/5.  Im being helped by the same woman that helped you. J.  She says once I get started on this micro taper at the correct rate I will begin to feel better and my confidence will return and the fear will lift. 

Thank you again

Jana will not steer you wrong.  Great that are able to get her to help you.

Thank you so much for responding. I will be holding for awhile and see what happens. Sleepy

The trouble is there is no specific answer... some people can only just handle 1mg V reduction about every 20 months to 2years...

But I dont see too many that can sustain 10% every 10 days...

So it comes down to personalising your taper...

My Advice, for what little its worth, would be...

Get Very stable by holding and/or dose correcting (if real bad).

Pick a low % per Month that you Know you can handle, and go from there... (5% per month??)

Adjusting up or down as per Your SX, -Holding if things get bad...

You might do a lot of adjusting -which would suit a micro taper better.. or you might prefer more of a cut n hold...

Either way you will need to change your doses every month or two, to match your % per month as you reduce... (unless you are reading your SX very well indeed, -and adjusting that way)

Builder

I now have the 5mg:5ml liquid diazepam solution.  To mix I was told stirring would be enough to make it an even solution.  How did you mix yours?  Should I shake it or will stirring mix it enough?

Thanks

Builder

I now have the 5mg:5ml liquid diazepam solution.  To mix I was told stirring would be enough to make it an even solution.  How did you mix yours?  Should I shake it or will stirring mix it enough?

Thanks

Stirring should be all you need to do.

I'm a little concerned about my taper. I'm finally stable to the point that my withdrawal symptoms are tolerable (but annoying as all get out!!!!), and I'm staying at reducing. 25 mg of Valium every two weeks. Currently I'm at 4.5 mg. I'm going to go to a liquid titration with liquid Valium in a few months. My doctor is fully supporting me and will give me whatever I need to have a successful taper. So my question is, with the Ashton taper, I know there are variances in it, but I was going to take my highest dose at night and the smaller dose in the morning...i.e., 2 mg at night,. 50mg in the morning, then 2 mg at night,. 25mg in the morning...would it be better to split the doses evenly? I've read so many posts on both views that I'm just not sure. Any experiences would be welcome...thanks!

Hey friends,

I have forgotten which medicine/injection i can take- use for numbing or deadening an area. I am scheduled for an MRI with contrast injected into hip joint. They use lidocaine, does this cause issues like the novocaine at the dentist? I know there are a few we can use to numb an area for a procedure and others meds we must not use.  thanks

Hey friends,

I have forgotten which medicine/injection i can take- use for numbing or deadening an area. I am scheduled for an MRI with contrast injected into hip joint. They use lidocaine, does this cause issues like the novocaine at the dentist? I know there are a few we can use to numb an area for a procedure and others meds we must not use.  thanks

Hi Kasey, the lidocaine should be ok as a topical numbing agent. I think that's the consensus we came to last time. Hope would be able to confirm.

BTW, your dentist should have an epinephrine-free numbing agent for use during dental procedures. Its the epinephrine that causes the problems for most of us... me included.

Thanks Left. Hope also jumped in and helped me too!! i so appreciate how we can count on each other! :smitten:

Yes, it's a blessing for sure! I hope the MRI goes well and is uneventful  :smitten:

I'm a little concerned about my taper. I'm finally stable to the point that my withdrawal symptoms are tolerable (but annoying as all get out!!!!), and I'm staying at reducing. 25 mg of Valium every two weeks. Currently I'm at 4.5 mg. I'm going to go to a liquid titration with liquid Valium in a few months. My doctor is fully supporting me and will give me whatever I need to have a successful taper. So my question is, with the Ashton taper, I know there are variances in it, but I was going to take my highest dose at night and the smaller dose in the morning...i.e., 2 mg at night,. 50mg in the morning, then 2 mg at night,. 25mg in the morning...would it be better to split the doses evenly? I've read so many posts on both views that I'm just not sure. Any experiences would be welcome...thanks!

Just wondering why people on valium, unless they are rapidcmetabolizers, even need to cut/dose more than once a day. Hopefully someone who understands Ashton will hop on soon for advice for you. Im an ultra rapid metabolizer and I was dosing 4 x a day, with 90% of my dose at night, until I read about using grapefruit or tagamet to get metabolism right to dose once a day. So much easier. I hope someone comes on that can help- didnt want your question to get lost!

Hope- thanks!

Kitty- not sure but I wonder too. Something about keeping blood levels more even I think. I dose once at 9 pm and always have. If someone gets interdose w/d then maybe dosing more often helps w/ that. I think as the dose gets lower, the liklihood of interdose w/d would be more. but I'm not lower yet so that's just my guess.

The reason for 2 (or more) dose per day of V is NOT due to concerns about blood levels.  Because of the long half-life, even dosing once every 24 hours does not result significant variations on blood levels.

It is usually recommend that V be divided into 2 or more doses to minimize the initial effect of the dose.  As most V users know, V is very sedating, and for most folks, a strong depressant.  Multiple dosing (several smaller doses instead of one big one) just minimizes the initial effects of the med.