Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I understand your feeling about the permanent damage. I had to swallow the bitter pill of tinnitus before benzo problems and its not a one time thing and very hard but there have been lots of times were I really didnt care much about the T and there are times when it really really gets to me. Spikes happen, now this benzo shit is increasing the sound, tinnitus is just a bitch.

Specially the uncertainty of it getting louder... But as long as it is not very loud habituation will happen. And even people with loud T habituate and dont really care although I am not one of them!

I do think the fluctuation and it sometimes being not loud is a good sign for you!

I have had T for over 2 years now, it started when I was told to drop my K dose by 50% for a week and then stop. Among other things tinnitus was really loud and overpowering.

I went back on K and tapered for 10 months but the T never went away and would fluctuate between soft to loud depending on there I was with a cut.

For the last 14 months after jumping it has never gone away but can reduce to a soft hiss and increase in volume to moderately loud. What seems to make it loud apart from when I am in a wave is having a nap, if I fall asleep for a short time it will be loud on waking.

Very frustrating and I do hope it will at least drop to a constant mild hiss.

2trusting

I have had T for over 2 years now, it started when I was told to drop my K dose by 50% for a week and then stop. Among other things tinnitus was really loud and overpowering.

I went back on K and tapered for 10 months but the T never went away and would fluctuate between soft to loud depending on there I was with a cut.

For the last 14 months after jumping it has never gone away but can reduce to a soft hiss and increase in volume to moderately loud. What seems to make it loud apart from when I am in a wave is having a nap, if I fall asleep for a short time it will be loud on waking.

Very frustrating and I do hope it will at least drop to a constant mild hiss.

2trusting

Your tinnitus sounds very similar to mine.  I seem to have waves of it getting louder, and I never know when they're coming.  I'm so sick of this!

• 4 weeks later...
Folks, does anyone have head pressure while your tinnitus increased/decreased? Does anyone tried to take NAC? I took it several times and it increases the volume while on it.

Yes I have had head pressure.  What is NAC ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

NAC is OK but its like trying to stop a B52 Bomber with a fly swatter.  Just not enough punch. 

Also taking NAC full time has the risk of making you tolerant to it and it just happens to be a powerful life saving antidote for many kinds of liver poisoning. To make things worse it's the ONLY antidote for things like "Tylenol" poisoning which is fatal without NAC.

I do find it interesting that "Tylenol" abuse causes tinnitus and deafness which could be how NAC works :idiot: :idiot:

It's another complex circular argument like "benzo's not only cause tinnitus" when tapering but thousands of people use benzo's to end their tinnitus when they have never used a benzo prior. :idiot::-X::)???:o

WEIRD but true!!!!

Dr. Robert Aaron Levine's Tinnitus Tutorial

In fact the list of drugs (about 20 of them) that are known to cause tinnitus are ALSO on the same drug lists as people who swear these same drugs ended their tinnitus :o???

TOTALLY BAFFLING!

Bird thanks for the video link.

Has anyone experienced something similar(?):

Yesterday my tinnitus suddenly reverted to pre benzo withdrawal state. It happened after little physical strain, I listened to music with headphones and my left ear spiked for 2-3 seconds, when the left ear spike gone my head noise that induced by benzo withdrawal absolutely gone! :)

It went on until I woke up with a screaming noise inside the head :(

Maybe it also connected to my virus that I have had in the last days.

I've experienced something similar(relief immediately after short spike) already several times, the problem that it only lasts until you wake up the next day or two. fuck.

I am over half way through my taper and I always had T but it is spiking up badly and I am scared that it is permanent. It is giving me so much anxiety this 24/7 noise and for the last few weeks it hasn't gone down to baseline T which I was used to.

I think I might have tapered a bit too fast from 5mgs ativan to 2mgs in about 3 months. I am looking for solutions but it seems that for T there is nothing you can do specially while tapering as I understand you can't take supplements.

Does anyone here have any advice? I need help but there is none out there :(

I am over half way through my taper and I always had T but it is spiking up badly and I am scared that it is permanent. It is giving me so much anxiety this 24/7 noise and for the last few weeks it hasn't gone down to baseline T which I was used to.

I think I might have tapered a bit too fast from 5mgs ativan to 2mgs in about 3 months. I am looking for solutions but it seems that for T there is nothing you can do specially while tapering as I understand you can't take supplements.

It sure feels permanent since healing is SO freaking slow :'(

I know at least 50 people (online friends) who told me it can take 5 to 10 years to get to a point where the tinnitus becomes livable. 

Until then stay "JACKED IN" to an MP3 player and bury your tinnitus with your favorite music or white noise sounds.

Look on youtube for 'TINNITUS MASKING' and you will find hundreds of sounds to help you.

I wish I had better news but for a great many of us the tinnitus is a really bad long term problem.

I really wish I could just toe the old "company line" here and tell you that you will heal very soon but I'd be a major hypocrite then.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

Masking sounds saved my life!

I am married to my ipod for now and maybe the next 3 to 5 years :angel:

It's not that bad and I am healing for sure BUT it's SLOW AS ALL HECK!

I measure tinnitus healing in years now.

Boy was I gullible when I first came to this forum LOL! I thought I'd be all done in 8 months but it took 15 months just for symptoms just to peak!  I jumped and reinstated 3 times and I learned so much about my brain and benzo's in those days.

I am still tapering but I am HAPPY.  It is possible to taper and to be happy but you have to redefine the word "SLOW" in a big way! I do 2% or 3% cuts now and then wait a month.  3  more years for me, I'll jump maybe in 2021, good enough for me!

It does get better,,,,, eventually,,,,,,,.

Hugs

Bird :smitten:

I have found nothing better than the cricket sounds in an app called white noise lite, it is free on google iTunes.

I only use one ear bud although my tinnitus is in both ears, good news for me is that after 15 months I am no longer in need of the crickets very often, tinnitus has not gone but I have got used to it even when it is screaming at me.

2trusting

I had T before this withdrawal so having to swallow the bitter pill of no silence anymore is no new one for me. But my T sure as hell doesn’t like this tapering business. Ironic thing is I was prescribed Ativan to deal with T on bad days. Would be an understatement if I say I am happy with the Ahole who came up with that bright idea.

I have found nothing better than the cricket sounds in an app called white noise lite, it is free on google iTunes.

I only use one ear bud although my tinnitus is in both ears, good news for me is that after 15 months I am no longer in need of the crickets very often, tinnitus has not gone but I have got used to it even when it is screaming at me.

2trusting

COOL!  Downloaded it ;D:thumbsup:

As I shake my head, I hear a lot of noise in my ear. I think, it's only on one side. Is it alike for you?

Birdy, did you say in another site that cyproheptadine reduced your tinnitus?

Hi Dude,

Yes it is still helping me.  I am on about 5 drugs and all together they put a good dent in my tinnitus.

Example: Antidepressants (SSRI's) are known to cause tinnitus.  Too much Serotonin simply over stimulates the brain and cyproheptadine forces Serotonin to re-uptake much faster so it does the opposite of an SSRI. 

Warning this drug can make you feel suicidal so you need to warn any people your living with that your on it.

After 14 days on it my tinnitus improved,,,  or it improved my mental attitude toward it.  Hard to say what it really did but it made me NOT obsess about the tinnitus any longer which works too ;D  I still hear the tinnitus BUT any importance I placed on the sound was neutralized about 3000%, I just did not care about it any longer. Interesting effect!!

I also take Lyrica and when mixed with Tiagabine they make a potent combo to get gaba levels back up to a useful level.

Tiagabine  is a simple GABA re-uptake inhibitor which does not attach to gabaA receptors like a benzo does so it can relieve S/X without down regulation of GABAA receptors.  Raw GABA in the brain binds to the same receptors a benzo does.  Gaba binds for about 15 to 30 minutes and pops off the receptor and is caught for recycling by multiple re-uptake PUMPS surrounding the synaptic clef.

SEE VIDEO - https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/nervous-system-and-sensory-infor/neural-cells-and-neurotransmitters/v/neurotransmitter-removal

Tiagabine blocks the re-uptake PUMPS so basically you have much higher levels of active gaba available to bind to BZD, NMDA and AMPA receptors in your brain offering great relief.

These drugs could be tapered too but it's not the typical benzo hell many experience.

People have stayed on Tiagabine and cyproheptadine, etc for decades and do not experience any kind of nasty "Tolerance" situation.  Steady doses provide steady results.  Still I do every thing in my power to get off these drugs without "rocking the boat" too hard :thumbsup:

I take 12mg 3 X a day for 36mg per day total of Tiagabine and also take Lyrica 450mg per day.  Well at least they are not benzo's ;D

Makes me sleepy and anxiety is gone but also all the ear problems are GONE too :D!  One side effect is this kind of a temporary deafness which makes my hearing feel muffled but that is what the opposite of what Noise Sensitivity is.  I guess you have to go a little deaf temporarily to calm the loudness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiagabine

I know at least 50 people (online friends) who told me it can take 5 to 10 years to get to a point where the tinnitus becomes livable. 

Until then stay "JACKED IN" to an MP3 player and bury your tinnitus with your favorite music or white noise sounds.

Look on youtube for 'TINNITUS MASKING' and you will find hundreds of sounds to help you.

I wish I had better news but for a great many of us the tinnitus is a really bad long term problem.

I really wish I could just toe the old "company line" here and tell you that you will heal very soon but I'd be a major hypocrite then.

Boy was I gullible when I first came to this forum LOL! I thought I'd be all done in 8 months but it took 15 months just for symptoms just to peak!  I jumped and reinstated 3 times and I learned so much about my brain and benzo's in those days.

I am still tapering but I am HAPPY.  It is possible to taper and to be happy but you have to redefine the word "SLOW" in a big way! I do 2% or 3% cuts now and then wait a month.  3  more years for me, I'll jump maybe in 2021, good enough for me!

Hugs

Hey Birdy,

Good to see you're coming along and doing well. In the long run, slow is fast.

Bart

Hugs

Hey Birdy,

Good to see you're coming along and doing well. In the long run, slow is fast.

Bart

I learned this too late :'(

Glad to see you here Bart! :D

Not everybody's tinnitus was/is caused by benzos or benzo WD, and most people who have tinnitus have likely never swallowed a benzo in their life.  One major cause of tinnitus is acoustic trauma, such as loud noises, exposure to loud music, misuse of headphones and earbuds, and more.  Unless you are absolutely certain that your tinnitus was not caused by acoustic trauma, you must take extra precautionary care of your hearing so as not to make matters worse, and that means protecting your ears from more damage.  I recommend carrying earplugs or earmuffs at all times,  and using them when needed. You'd be better off not to use headphones or earbuds at all but, if you must, be sure not to blast them or listen for too long.  Don't risk making your tinnitus or hearing any worse than it is, and be safe rather than sorry.

Hi Guys,

Am fishing for a possible answer,

My T has increased this year, but is only a mild problem if I dont think on it, -most of the time..

But I have been getting in predominantly one ear -swelling and tenderness, with what appears to be a crazy ammount of wax or lipid type discharge, which seems to be corrosive on the outer ear skin..

also some tiny micro cyst type sores that heal quickly.. my inner ear seems fine, and I do NOT think its infection...

There seems to be a relation to taking fish oil, and I wonder if it isnt WD affecting some type of secretory glands, and an overall increase of lipids in my system...??

I did also start reducing lyrica at this time, but I have before and cant remember a problem..

My Dr said no infection, but offered steroids for sinus congestion...

It is not  mucus, and I have no nasal discharge..

Its getting to the point im goung to have to treat with something...??

Anyways, thanks for any thoughts..

:)

Hi Guys,

My T has increased this year, but is only a mild problem if I dont think on it, -most of the time..

But I have been getting in predominantly one ear -swelling and tenderness, with what appears to be a crazy ammount of wax or lipid type discharge, which seems to be corrosive on the outer ear skin..

also some tiny micro cyst type sores that heal quickly.. my inner ear seems fine, and I do NOT think its infection...

There seems to be a relation to taking fish oil, and I wonder if it isnt WD affecting some type of secretory glands, and an overall increase of lipids in my system...??

I did also start reducing lyrica at this time, but I have before and cant remember a problem..

I have heard of B/Z W/D doing bizarre things but I think you just hit the ball out of the park with this S/X.

Hi Guys,

I have heard of B/Z W/D doing bizarre things but I think you just hit the ball out of the park with this S/X.

Not going to argue..!! I best not write it off to WD just yet...

Trouble is it seems to follow my cut n hold pattern, and my skin pours out oil..

Also I know several people with an intense drug history that now have problems that I could see this turning into.. prob a coincidence, and their diognosis ranges from some super bug?? To past blunt force trauma..??

I have stopped the fish oil (2xcaps -2-3x week), and it is clearing up again..??

I guess time will tell.. -not stressing -yet..

I did read something?? about the body producing lipids to protect against glutimate storms, but thats all a bit beyond me..

And there may be an opiate connection to this, if I look way back..

Anyways, was worth a try..

Thanks Guys...

Hi Guys,

Not going to argue..!! I best not write it off to WD just yet...

Trouble is it seems to follow my cut n hold pattern, and my skin pours out oil..

Also I know several people with an intense drug history that now have problems that I could see this turning into.. prob a coincidence, and their diognosis ranges from some super bug?? To past blunt force trauma..??

I have stopped the fish oil (2xcaps -2-3x week), and it is clearing up again..??

I guess time will tell.. -not stressing -yet..

I did read something?? about the body producing lipids to protect against glutimate storms, but thats all a bit beyond me..

And there may be an opiate connection to this, if I look way back..

Anyways, was worth a try..

Thanks Guys...

Hi CF  :hug: I get the above along with pus filled pain feel lumps, tender lumps in my ears mouth and externally I've had it where the sun don't shine too  ;D like my  butt crack, crotch area and its definitely withdrawal. I get corrosive liquid that runs and burns like fuck on my skin running form my eyes and baseball sized lumps of wax dropping outta my ears too some kind of fluid. The hell noise I can hear constantly which I used to think was Tinnitus isn't its definitely coming from my brain LOUDLY but my hyperacusis is fkn hell  :D

I also get what looks like sharp salt  crystals coming outta my skin and eyes and only found one other person on here out pf 20.00 that said they get it as well, and besides that I had some other bizarre crap no-one has had but its DEFINITELY withdrawal related. I reckon there must be thousands if not hundred of thousands of mad symptoms people have had blood pour like sweat out of their skin bleed form the eyes all sorts of funky stuff and it was all withdrawal related . But certainly have any symptoms you are concerned about checked out :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: