Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Well, I'm definitely going to go slow from here on out, this was the first wave in a month, thanks again

When all you have is tinnitus you did it right.  The tinnitus is the last and for many the worst S/X since it takes so much time to heal. You will have bad and good days with this S/X.  Do not declare yourself 100% healed until the tinnitus is gone for at least 30 days in a row.

Good luck

Birdy  :smitten:

Thanks Birdy, 30 days in a row huh?  I'll take 3!!!  But, yes, I've heard this, Ashton etc.,  I have a minor stomach thing, and minor anxiety but very manageable.  I am holding at .06 until things let up, and if they don't will proceed.  All in all I've got about two weeks left.

Birdsman= it seems like you have many info about tinnitus or maybe it base on your experience.  I'm 3 mos. out and still dealing with tinnitus I was wondering if how long this stuff to go away, some days are manageable and then it become very annoying and like buzzing inside ear and its like from my head or brain so stressful, I have some god days and bad days,  can't wait to be healed completely. regards, MCM

Birdsman= it seems like you have many info about tinnitus or maybe it base on your experience.  I'm 3 mos. out and still dealing with tinnitus I was wondering if how long this stuff to go away, some days are manageable and then it become very annoying and like buzzing inside ear and its like from my head or brain so stressful, I have some god days and bad days,  can't wait to be healed completely. regards, MCM

Same here, MCM...The buzzing for me is nonstop. Then high pitched ringing joins in and sometimes gets unbearably loud! I've been using my earbuds lately to drown it out...it def helps! I can't wait for the day this is over, either...hang in there!  ~CeCe

Your right, the buzzing is from your whole head not your ear. A part of the brain called the DCN is very difficult to heal but it does sooner or later.

In the mean time  MASK, MASK, MASK!  It's about all you can do is to drown it out with other sounds.  This also trains the DCN to deal with all the other sounds and it speeds healing. 

You know like after a loud explosion people are almost deaf for a short time.  This is the DCN shutting down.  Many studies say masking helps heal the type of tinnitus we have, (chemically induced / gaba deficit type)

Hope you feel better soon :smitten:

thanks Birdsman, so it means the sound is not really the normal tinnitus it is drug induced tinnitus, in my case I have this in some stage before tapering but shortime and its gone cameback after few months and then during taper I probably have it all the time but because it mixed up with all the other symptoms I only noticed badly now that I'm off benzo.  I wonder if how long this will be, I know everybody is different but if anyone have this buzzing sound in head please let me know in your own experienced, also did you have any vertigo or unsteady feeling at the same time?  thanks.

thanks Birdsman, so it means the sound is not really the normal tinnitus it is drug induced tinnitus, in my case I have this in some stage before tapering but shortime and its gone cameback after few months and then during taper I probably have it all the time but because it mixed up with all the other symptoms I only noticed badly now that I'm off benzo.  I wonder if how long this will be, I know everybody is different but if anyone have this buzzing sound in head please let me know in your own experienced, also did you have any vertigo or unsteady feeling at the same time?  thanks.

I have the buzzing sound in my head and I get vertigo and unsteadiness from time to time. I walk like I'm drunk when this happens. (drunk without the perks!  :))

Today I feel very depressed. The last few nights I could not sleep. At most an hour or 3. When I was awake last night, the T was unbearable. An extremely high pitch buzzing sound. Also, my whole body seemed to be on fire. I put my earplugs in but the sound was not to mask. So, again, at 3 pm I went out of bed ..... horrible ...... walking around in a dark and quiet house while everyone else is still asleep. I do not understand why today the T is so terrible. Does it have something to do I eat yesterday? I really do not know what to do. My whole life is in ruins. How can you be so positive?

This morning even the idea came to me that if I would have an accident, I would not mind at all. Except that I'm depressed, I notice that my husband will too. All nice trips we had planned, a renovation of our house, cozy evenings at home ......... nice together lying in bed and sleep ..... everything is gone. Friends live their lives and enjoy .... I dare not tell them what I'm going through ...... so I avoid them now. Can you get me out of these negative thoughts? What do you do when you can not sleep. Use your meds? Please give me some tips to get through this day. I'm so scared today!

Today I feel very depressed. The last few nights I could not sleep. At most an hour or 3. When I was awake last night, the T was unbearable. An extremely high pitch buzzing sound. Also, my whole body seemed to be on fire. I put my earplugs in but the sound was not to mask. So, again, at 3 pm I went out of bed ..... horrible ...... walking around in a dark and quiet house while everyone else is still asleep. I do not understand why today the T is so terrible. Does it have something to do I eat yesterday? I really do not know what to do. My whole life is in ruins. How can you be so positive?

This morning even the idea came to me that if I would have an accident, I would not mind at all. Except that I'm depressed, I notice that my husband will too. All nice trips we had planned, a renovation of our house, cozy evenings at home ......... nice together lying in bed and sleep ..... everything is gone. Friends live their lives and enjoy .... I dare not tell them what I'm going through ...... so I avoid them now. Can you get me out of these negative thoughts? What do you do when you can not sleep. Use your meds? Please give me some tips to get through this day. I'm so scared today!

I am not sure how fast you tapered but people who taper slower have less problems.

You may try buying a more powerful masker.  My Ipod with ear buds can mask any T when at 70% volume setting.  You must wipe out the tinnitus some how. Find a way.  Keep in mind it will heal but could take a long time.

I got tinnitus when I did a failed rapid taper from klonopin in January of this year and It has been with me since the beginning of this year, I have had a few days where it has disappeared completely. (just a few)

Other times it seems to reduce to a level where it is not much of a bother and then for about 60 to 70% of the time it is either loud or screaming loud and stops me from sleeping or being social.

The level seems to revolve around where I am in my particular drop cycle and how my other withdrawal symptoms are. From the 2nd to the 8th of Oct it was not a problem and I slept well and was able to go out and about since then it has ramped up a high level and I think I may have made a drop in klonopin too early.

My hope is that when I finish tapering from klonopin it ultimately drops to a level where it is not much bother to me, it would be nice if it disappeared altogether but I will accept a low level as a win.

Ear buds and crickets are my go to for masking, if after tapering and waiting some time it is still with me I shall try tinnitus retraining or some other system to see if I can get a grip on it. 

Tinnitus is my barometer for sxs.  I never get other sxs without T, and when T is bad, other sxs rage.  Today is the first day I'm switching from 2 doses to 1, cutting my morning dose, since weighing less than .03 is impossible for me.  I did not take my morning dose and I feel really good.  Usually I take it and go back to sleep.  If it progresses today I will take my evening dose but every day I think about jumping; maybe like some, I will feel better when totally off.

Tinnitus is my barometer for sxs.  I never get other sxs without T, and when T is bad, other sxs rage.  Today is the first day I'm switching from 2 doses to 1, cutting my morning dose, since weighing less than .03 is impossible for me.  I did not take my morning dose and I feel really good.  Usually I take it and go back to sleep.  If it progresses today I will take my evening dose but every day I think about jumping; maybe like some, I will feel better when totally off.

"tinnitus is my barometer for sxs"  I like that!! :thumbsup:

I do not know why people think they can't experiment.  You can always try quitting and see what happens.  Call it an experimental jump.  If it's that bad you can get back on the last dose you where on and just keep tapering.

Do not add extra pressure to your taper by playing the "JUMP" politics game.    If you jump and it does not work out then at least you know that you where not ready.  Dose up and try-try again, at least you will know where you stand.  Like you said you may even feel better jumping but if not the pills are right there to help you taper, nothing to fear.

Birdy :smitten:

I got tinnitus when I did a failed rapid taper from klonopin in January of this year and It has been with me since the beginning of this year, I have had a few days where it has disappeared completely. (just a few)

Other times it seems to reduce to a level where it is not much of a bother and then for about 60 to 70% of the time it is either loud or screaming loud and stops me from sleeping or being social.

The level seems to revolve around where I am in my particular drop cycle and how my other withdrawal symptoms are. From the 2nd to the 8th of Oct it was not a problem and I slept well and was able to go out and about since then it has ramped up a high level and I think I may have made a drop in klonopin too early.

My hope is that when I finish tapering from klonopin it ultimately drops to a level where it is not much bother to me, it would be nice if it disappeared altogether but I will accept a low level as a win.

Ear buds and crickets are my go to for masking, if after tapering and waiting some time it is still with me I shall try tinnitus retraining or some other system to see if I can get a grip on it.

That's what I am listening too now ;D:thumbsup:

I do not know why people think they can't experiment.  You can always try quitting and see what happens.  Call it an experimental jump.  If it's that bad you can get back on the last dose you where on and just keep tapering.

Do not add extra pressure to your taper by playing the "JUMP" politics game.    If you jump and it does not work out then at least you know that you where not ready.  Dose up and try-try again, at least you will know where you stand.  Like you said you may even feel better jumping but if not the pills are right there to help you taper, nothing to fear.

Tnanks again Birdy, that's great advice and exactly what I was thinking....go a day or two or three, if I get slammed take a dose, stabilize, try again.  My feeling is I will keep tapering another week or two down to .04 as my T is increasing today without the morning dose and I just took my evening dose.  I sensed horrific T tomorrow if I didn't do this. 

Tnanks again Birdy, that's great advice and exactly what I was thinking....go a day or two or three, if I get slammed take a dose, stabilize, try again.  My feeling is I will keep tapering another week or two down to .04 as my T is increasing today without the morning dose and I just took my evening dose.  I sensed horrific T tomorrow if I didn't do this.

You are right.  For some odd reason the most minuscule amount of benzo can have a ridiculously powerful effect on tinnitus.  My addiction doc knew this and I jumped on to a low dose of Oxycontin for 3 months, boy it helped!!  2.5mg 4 times a day.  Its a baby dose but for some reason it silenced my Tinnitus by 85% and gave me time to heal.  I also got a little bit of baclofen but he said that was to lower the addiction factor of the Oxycontin. I wish I knew more but I just trusted him.  All I know is that it worked and made the jump work clean.

You are right.  For some odd reason the most minuscule amount of benzo can have a ridiculously powerful effect on tinnitus.  My addiction doc knew this and I jumped on to a low dose of Oxycontin for 3 months, boy it helped!!  2.5mg 4 times a day.  Its a baby dose but for some reason it silenced my Tinnitus by 85% and gave me time to heal.  I also got a little bit of baclofen but he said that was to lower the addiction factor of the Oxycontin. I wish I knew more but I just trusted him.  All I know is that it worked and made the jump work clean.

I bet if you phone this ''doctor'' he'll claim to be a walmart cashier, judging from Birdman's claims about hyperacusis on this thread.

Sorry everyone! Yesterday I posted in a panic attack. I was, after only three hours of sleep, alone in the dark and silent living room with screeching ears, burning skin and felt hopeless. The depressive feeling I unfortunately held all day. My ears ached, I felt a tremendous pressure on the ears and head, slightly dizzy and my eyes burned. I felt an absolute desire to keep me busy that day. Forced big myself I went to the grocery store, did the laundry, I paid a short visit to my mother and I cooked. I invited a friend to dinner, and spent the night before the fireplace. So the day ended a lot better. Birdman, I have indeed taper too fast from 70 mg oxazepam and 20 mg ambien. But I was forced by my doctor, who wanted noting to hear about w / d symptoms so he did not prescribe medications after August. Fortunately, today I feel a lot better. I'm exactly 60 days off. I feel still very unsettled but that was also the reason why I was put on oxazepam and Ambient and the T makes it not very comfortable too. This week I have an appointment with the audiologist and soon with a therapist who hopefully will learn me to deal with my T. Thank you for your comments! I think your super tough and strong!

Sorry everyone! Yesterday I posted in a panic attack. I was, after only three hours of sleep, alone in the dark and silent living room with screeching ears, burning skin and felt hopeless. The depressive feeling I unfortunately held all day. My ears ached, I felt a tremendous pressure on the ears and head, slightly dizzy and my eyes burned. I felt an absolute desire to keep me busy that day. Forced big myself I went to the grocery store, did the laundry, I paid a short visit to my mother and I cooked. I invited a friend to dinner, and spent the night before the fireplace. So the day ended a lot better. Birdman, I have indeed taper too fast from 70 mg oxazepam and 20 mg ambien. But I was forced by my doctor, who wanted noting to hear about w / d symptoms so he did not prescribe medications after August. Fortunately, today I feel a lot better. I'm exactly 60 days off. I feel still very unsettled but that was also the reason why I was put on oxazepam and Ambient and the T makes it not very comfortable too. This week I have an appointment with the audiologist and soon with a therapist who hopefully will learn me to deal with my T. Thank you for your comments! I think your super tough and strong!

Thanks Dutchy,  I am glad your feeling better. 

Posting during a wave is never a good idea :laugh:

You are very welcome  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

What's the point of this thread of the OP thinks hyperacusis can be dxed on an MRI and claims to have been cured from H by a clinic that denies having done so?

Hey Dutchy,

I just saw your recent posts and wanted to let you know that masking has helped me, but not a first.  I've had 24/7 T for 2 plus years now.  It's constant, although sometimes worse than other times.  It's a very high pitch and even now I cannot mask it completely without going to a volume level that is painful and probably damaging.  But I've realized that I don't have to mask it completely.  For the first several months, masking attempts didn't help me with getting to sleep because I was obsessed with the need to completely block out the T.  Finally I realized that if I could live with some level of T, the masking helped keep my brain occupied with additional sound so it wasn't like the T was all there was.  Don't get me wrong, it still sucks and I still have a good deal of trouble, but usually I can get a decent night's sleep now.

The T causes horrible alone, trapped feelings -- at least for me.  Sorry you have been experiencing it, but know you're not alone and more importantly, the T will either get better or you will somehow adjust to it -- for months and months I thought I never ever could, but I'm still here, still kicking. 

Best Wishes,

mflux

Hey Dutchy,

I just saw your recent posts and wanted to let you know that masking has helped me, but not a first.  I've had 24/7 T for 2 plus years now.  It's constant, although sometimes worse than other times.  It's a very high pitch and even now I cannot mask it completely without going to a volume level that is painful and probably damaging.  But I've realized that I don't have to mask it completely.  For the first several months, masking attempts didn't help me with getting to sleep because I was obsessed with the need to completely block out the T.  Finally I realized that if I could live with some level of T, the masking helped keep my brain occupied with additional sound so it wasn't like the T was all there was.  Don't get me wrong, it still sucks and I still have a good deal of trouble, but usually I can get a decent night's sleep now.

The T causes horrible alone, trapped feelings -- at least for me.  Sorry you have been experiencing it, but know you're not alone and more importantly, the T will either get better or you will somehow adjust to it -- for months and months I thought I never ever could, but I'm still here, still kicking. 

Best Wishes,

mflux

If i can cut in for a second here I have some good advice.    My first masking attempts helped but I tend to get obsessed and had to do it perfectly.

I am a high level computer programmer and got really good with a program called

Audacity and audionotch.

Free here.  http://filehippo.com/download_audacity/16199

AND

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

I watched a bunch of YT videos on the topic of notched sound and within days created notched sound tracks with crickets sounds that matched my tinnitus to the perfect frequency!!!  The effect is amazing! NO MORE TINNITUS!  As long as I am  "PLUGGED IN"  any tinnitus is perfectly buried behind a host of insect and rain / water sounds that really take 95% of the edge off the tinnitus.  I use MP3 equipped hearing aids (STARKEY 110's) that I can wear 24-7 even when sleeping.  Battery life about 4 days.

I think I'd be dead without this level of help. 

If you have the time it's worth it learning how to program notched sound tracks.

Example of NOTCH CODE for me as 6522 Htz is my peak T

(vector (notch2 (aref s 0) 6522 1) (notch2 (aref s 1) 6522 1) )

How To Make Your Own Custom Sound Therapy STEP BY STEP

INFO  https://sites.google.com/site/freetinnitussoundtherapy/clients

DOWNLOAD  http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

If you get the sounds NOTCHED just right there is NO MORE tinnitus!  All you hear is crickets and water running (or whatever sound works for you)

Warning: This is at least 4 or 5 full-time days to master.  If you put the time in you can be free again.

MORE RESOURCES

http://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

Good luck :thumbsup:

P.S. There are people out there in the 'hearing-aid' world that will build notched sound files for you but it's about $250.00 an hour.

Hey Bird,

Thanks for all the info.  I will definitely check all of this out.  I actually just started using AudioNotch this week.  I approximated the frequency of my T at 8650 Hz and created a notched white noise mp3.  It masks but does not fully eliminate the T for me, but since the T frequency is notched out with AudioNotch, I didn't expect that anyway.  I'm hoping that over time listening to the AudioNotch file will decrease the volume of the T, but really can't tell yet if it is doing that.   

Anyway, thanks again !

mflux

Hey Bird,

Thanks for all the info.  I will definitely check all of this out.  I actually just started using AudioNotch this week.  I approximated the frequency of my T at 8650 Hz and created a notched white noise mp3.  It masks but does not fully eliminate the T for me, but since the T frequency is notched out with AudioNotch, I didn't expect that anyway.  I'm hoping that over time listening to the AudioNotch file will decrease the volume of the T, but really can't tell yet if it is doing that.   

Anyway, thanks again !

mflux

Glad you already got started mflux  :thumbsup:

I will not go into the long and boring scientific reasoning but there is a sound phenomenon that makes you hit the wrong frequency which is generally too low.  When listening to frequency scales try going from the top down instead of from the bottom up which is what most people do.

I start at about 16,000 htz and work my way down the scale and found my real frequency.  (I found out that I had used the wrong frequency for months) 

All I can say is keep practicing and testing and you will discover notched sound combinations that really can fully block the brain's perception of your tinnitus. 

You can Notch-out or even Boost.  I found boosting a tinnitus frequency point in an audio track can have good results too depending on the type of sound. 

Having a cricket chirping at exactly my tinnitus frequency with a boost gives amazing results when the back ground sound is water with it's own notch point.  Done right you will be asking yourself "is this the sound track or my tinnitus that I am hearing?"  When you can't tell the difference any longer it's pure magic :D

Keep practicing and you will discover it too. :thumbsup:  This is an art more than a science so it's very personal to each individual as to what works.

Good luck Mflux