Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Wow thanks for all the info here!!  Interesting about silence.  Makes sense.  Had to share this.  I get ringing buzzing here and there. like so many others.  Sensitive to anything alarming and loud noise. I just try to ignore it. 

Last night went to bed and wouldn't you know the buzzing starts.  Every few minutes the buzzing would start.  For a long time tried to ignore it.

Lol It was my cell phone in the drawer of the night stand on vibrate.

I know this is serious business.  It's in my signature.  I had to laugh as usually my first thought is it's withdrawls.

Hope you all get a laugh today!!!  Dolly

Good Read PD!  Triple thumbs up award :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

I have been hyper adrenal all my life but I never had 24/7 tinnitus until after quitting benzo's.

I remember in grade school when ever I had to stand in front of the class and read  a book or do an oral report the first thing I heard was tinnitus.  "ZINGGGGGGG" is what it sounded like and it would get louder and louder until I saw red spots that eventually blocked out my center field of vision and then I found myself waking up on the floor with people crowding around me feeling bewildered.  Yup, I had fainted from the anxiety :laugh:  This happened many times until I saw a doc and learned some skills.

I guess I always had a problem with over excitability, I was born with 'coffee pumping through my veins  :o

I had a 4.0 GPA all my life but always hated public speaking, camera's etc. so I missed a lot of opportunity in life including being on the discovery channel as a host speaker for a small science series in 2006 :(

I wonder if anti-adrenalin drugs like Clonidine (Adrenalin antagonists) would help any of us?  I know BB member FLIPRAIN is still on it so she seems to like Clonidine.  It's just a blocker so it does not mess with your head like benzo's do so people generally take it for life.

Birdy

Wow thanks for all the info here!!  Interesting about silence.  Makes sense.  Had to share this.  I get ringing buzzing here and there. like so many others.  Sensitive to anything alarming and loud noise. I just try to ignore it. 

Last night went to bed and wouldn't you know the buzzing starts.  Every few minutes the buzzing would start.  For a long time tried to ignore it.

Lol It was my cell phone in the drawer of the night stand on vibrate.

I know this is serious business.  It's in my signature.  I had to laugh as usually my first thought is it's withdrawls.

Hope you all get a laugh today!!!  Dolly

LOL!! That is funny! I am the same way, though. lol...thank you for making my day!  :laugh:

Wow! Good info there PD  :)

Snowy :smitten:

Thanks Snowy!  That means a lot coming from you.  :smitten:

PD

Aww, that's sweet. You always were quite the researcher. You've contributed ALOT with your hard work and kindness, always sharing with others. I hope you know how much your appreciated.  :angel:

Love ya buddy  :smitten:

Snowy :)

I have been hyper adrenal all my life but I never had 24/7 tinnitus until after quitting benzo's.

I remember in grade school when ever I had to stand in front of the class and read  a book or do an oral report the first thing I heard was tinnitus.  "ZINGGGGGGG" is what it sounded like and it would get louder and louder until I saw red spots that eventually blocked out my center field of vision and then I found myself waking up on the floor with people crowding around me feeling bewildered.  Yup, I had fainted from the anxiety :laugh:  This happened many times until I saw a physiologist and learned some skills.

I guess I always had a problem with over excitability, I was born with 'coffee pumping through my veins  :o

I had a 4.0 GPA all my life but always hated public speaking, camera's etc. so I missed a lot of opportunity in life including being on the discovery channel as a host speaker for a small science series in 2006 :(

I wounder if anti-adrenalin drugs like Clonidine (Adrenalin antagonists) would help any off us?  I know BB member FLIPRAIN is still on it so she seems to like Clonidine.  It's just a blocker so it does not mess with your head like benzo's do so people generally take it for life.

Birdy

Thanks for the triple thumbs up award!  Very appreciated!!  :)

Wow Birdy, you do sound like the perfect candidate for tinnitus...very high strung!  My situation has been more about stress building up over my life time.  I have always been calm, cool, and collected on the outside, but tended to stuff my feelings and emotions on the inside.  I thought I was handling it in my own way...but eventually my mind and body couldn't 'stuff it' anymore.  Around 2010 I ended up with adrenal fatigue.  The straw that broke the camel's back was in 2012 when I moved to different town and took a new job.  The stress and emotional trauma that resulted from that (as well as everything I had 'stuffed' from my past) took me down a long road of anxiety, depression, and eventually physical illness.  I am finally recovering and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It has required addressing emotional and spiritual issues and learning to live and speak my truth.  I am learning the importance of being the real me and following my passion...to live my purpose on this earth and to do it courageously.

Clonidine is used to treat ADHD in children, so it would make sense that it could be used to help keep a person calm.  I tend to be more of a naturalist, so I don't really like the idea of taking any drug for life unless it is absolutely necessary.  But I do very much believe in using drugs on a temporary basis to help us if needed until we can resolve the underlying issues.

PD

PD

Aww, that's sweet. You always were quite the researcher. You've contributed ALOT with your hard work and kindness, always sharing with others. I hope you know how much your appreciated.  :angel:

You are a great encourager and you always have the right words to bring greater understanding and clarity to any discussion.  Your humor always brightens our day!  You are also very appreciated. :mybuddy:

Much love,  :smitten:

PD 

I remember in grade school when ever I had to stand in front of the class and read  a book or do an oral report the first thing I heard was tinnitus.  "ZINGGGGGGG" is what it sounded like and it would get louder and louder until I saw red spots that eventually blocked out my center field of vision and then I found myself waking up on the floor with people crowding around me feeling bewildered.  Yup, I had fainted from the anxiety :laugh:  This happened many times until I saw a doc and learned some skills.

I wonder if anti-adrenalin drugs like Clonidine (Adrenalin antagonists) would help any of us?  I know BB member FLIPRAIN is still on it so she seems to like Clonidine.  It's just a blocker so it does not mess with your head like benzo's do so people generally take it for life.

Birdy

Wow Birdy, you do sound like the perfect candidate for tinnitus...very high strung!  My situation has been more about stress building up over my life time.  I have always been calm, cool, and collected on the outside, but tended to stuff my feelings and emotions on the inside.  I thought I was handling it in my own way...but eventually my mind and body couldn't 'stuff it' anymore.  Around 2010 I ended up with adrenal fatigue.  The straw that broke the camel's back was in 2012 when I moved to different town and took a new job.  The stress and emotional trauma that resulted from that (as well as everything I had 'stuffed' from my past) took me down a long road of anxiety, depression, and eventually physical illness.  I am finally recovering and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It has required addressing emotional and spiritual issues and learning to live and speak my truth.  I am learning the importance of being the real me and following my passion...to live my purpose on this earth and to do it courageously.

Clonidine is used to treat ADHD in children, so it would make sense that it could be used to help keep a person calm.  I tend to be more of a naturalist, so I don't really like the idea of taking any drug for life unless it is absolutely necessary.  But I do very much believe in using drugs on a temporary basis to help us if needed until we can resolve the underlying issues.

PD

For me I just want to feel better.  At this point I'd take arsenic if it gave me a baseline ;)

There is only one thing worse than adrenal fatigue and that is adrenal withdrawal.

It behaves like Addison’s disease at times, also called secondary adrenal insufficiency.

This article is a good read and may strike a spark in your mind.  We can get sick not only from having too much but also from having too little. One state usually follows the other until balance is reached.

REF;  http://www.nadf.us/adrenal-diseases/secondary-adrenal-insufficiency/

The most common symptoms for secondary adrenal insufficiency are severe fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, irritability, and depression. Since aldosterone is usually present, low blood pressure and muscle spasms are not as likely as they are in primary adrenal insufficiency.

If secondary adrenal insufficiency is anticipated, such as after pituitary surgery or after stopping glucocorticoids after a prolonged use for asthma, appropriate treatment may prevent any symptoms. However, if it is not expected, there are likely to be progressive chronic symptoms that may be missed or ignored until a sudden event like a flu virus, an accident, or the need for surgery suddenly precipitates a dramatic change for the worse. This is an adrenal crisis and is a medical emergency.

PD

You are a great encourager and you always have the right words to bring greater understanding and clarity to any discussion.  Your humor always brightens our day!  You are also very appreciated. :mybuddy:

Much love,  :smitten:

PD

:hug:  :balloon:

Birdy

PD

For me I just want to feel better.  At this point I'd take arsenic if it gave me a baseline ;)

There is only one thing worse than adrenal fatigue and that is adrenal withdrawal.

It behaves like Addison’s disease at times, also called secondary adrenal insufficiency.

This article is a good read and may strike a spark in your mind.  We can get sick not only from having too much but also from having too little. One state usually follows the other until balance is reached.

The most common symptoms for secondary adrenal insufficiency are severe fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, irritability, and depression. Since aldosterone is usually present, low blood pressure and muscle spasms are not as likely as they are in primary adrenal insufficiency.

If secondary adrenal insufficiency is anticipated, such as after pituitary surgery or after stopping glucocorticoids after a prolonged use for asthma, appropriate treatment may prevent any symptoms. However, if it is not expected, there are likely to be progressive chronic symptoms that may be missed or ignored until a sudden event like a flu virus, an accident, or the need for surgery suddenly precipitates a dramatic change for the worse. This is an adrenal crisis and is a medical emergency.

I certainly can't blame you for just wanting to feel better!  But please stay away from the arsenic...we want you around awhile longer.  ;)  Be sure and let us know if you experiment with any new drugs and what results you get.

That is very interesting about secondary adrenal insufficiency.  I very much agree with what you say about both excess and deficiency playing a role with adrenal problems.  I had a big problem with feeling tired, but also very 'wired', like I had drank a pot of coffee when I was trying to go to sleep at night.  My heart would also beat very fast.  I highly suspect that I had too much adrenaline in my system at night.

Since January 2014, I have been dealing with a thyroid problem that is now mostly resolved.  The thyroid and the adrenals work closely together.  So I am sure that my adrenals have also had some level of compromise during the time that my thyroid hormone levels have been off.

Have you been dealing with adrenal problems?

PD

Birdy

PD

I certainly can't blame you for just wanting to feel better!  But please stay away from the arsenic...we want you around awhile longer.  ;)  Be sure and let us know if you experiment with any new drugs and what results you get.

That is very interesting about secondary adrenal insufficiency.  I very much agree with what you say about both excess and deficiency playing a role with adrenal problems.  I had a big problem with feeling tired, but also very 'wired', like I had drank a pot of coffee when I was trying to go to sleep at night.  My heart would also beat very fast.  I highly suspect that I had too much adrenaline in my system at night.

Since January 2014, I have been dealing with a thyroid problem that is now mostly resolved.  The thyroid and the adrenals work closely together.  So I am sure that my adrenals have also had some level of compromise during the time that my thyroid hormone levels have been off.

PD

At this point in time I do not have much adrenaline left in my system so I suspect I have adrenal-insufficiency for sure.  Here is how I know. 

I took .2MG clonidine  3 days ago and felt nothing.  That's because I have no Adrenalin left to block and I feel like a slug with no energy and also have the lowest BP rate in my adult life!! 114/68  :sick:

2 years ago I took .2 MG clonidine and it knocked me right out to the point I could not even lift my arms to type :sick:  -  Made me feel like I had not slept in 72 hours and I subsequently  fell asleep in my chair for 2 hours!!!

WOW, powerful stuff then but not any more. Now it has nothing to act on in my system.   

Clonidine is a good indicator as to how much Adrenalin is left in your system be it too high or too low.

I guess the use of Clonidine is a real test for many other things to:

https://www.google.com/search?q=normal+bp+rate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Clonidine+adrenal+test

I hope this helps PD.  It may help you zero in on the problems.

Love and hugs

Birdy  :smitten:

Birdy

PD

PD

At this point in time I do not have much adrenaline left in my system so I suspect I have adrenal-insufficiency for sure.  Here is how I know. 

I took .2MG clonidine  3 days ago and felt nothing.  That's because I have no Adrenalin left to block and I feel like a slug with no energy and also have the lowest BP rate in my adult life!! 114/68  :sick:

2 years ago I took .2 MG clonidine and it knocked me right out to the point I could not even lift my arms to type :sick:  -  Made me feel like I had not slept in 72 hours and I subsequently  fell asleep in my chair for 2 hours!!!

WOW, powerful stuff then but not any more. Now it has nothing to act on in my system.   

Clonidine is a good indicator as to how much Adrenalin is left in your system be it too high or too low.

I guess the use of Clonidine is a real test for many other things to:

https://www.google.com/search?q=normal+bp+rate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Clonidine+adrenal+test

I hope this helps PD.  It may help you zero in on the problems.

Love and hugs

Birdy  :smitten:

You are a great researcher Birdy!  I had never heard of that Clonidine test before...interesting. 

If you can ignore the advertising, I think this is a pretty good article about herbs and supplements for adrenal fatigue: http://drjockers.com/herbs-and-supplements-to-improve-adrenal-fatigue/  Although, I realize you may not be able to incorporate any of them if you can only use prescription medications.

Chronic fatigue is very difficult to live with.  I really hope you can find a way to start feeling better!  :therethere:

Love and Hugs!  :smitten:  :smitten:

PD

Hi PD,

I like your article of Tinnitus,  I copied to my large MS Words File,    The clonidine seems very strong,  I prefer no to take for now. 

I'm  2 months benzo free,  I have some anxiety episodes everyday, I counted to see my progress.

my symptoms now are:

Tinnitus, social anxiety, 

my new symptom:    I cant be sit in a chair, my hand start tingling, and I get anxious. 

I have to be stand  up, walking, lay  in my bed or in a recliner position, I go to work  and  recline my self in my chair.  I can't sit normal    y.

Any body have any idea?   

Thanks

TEX

Hi PD,

I like your article of Tinnitus,  I copied to my large MS Words File,    The clonidine seems very strong,  I prefer no to take for now. 

I'm  2 months benzo free,  I have some anxiety episodes everyday, I counted to see my progress.

my symptoms now are:

my new symptom:    I cant be sit in a chair, my hand start tingling, and I get anxious. 

I have to be stand  up, walking, lay  in my bed or in a recliner position, I go to work  and  recline my self in my chair.  I can't sit normal    y.

Any body have any idea?   

Thanks

TEX

Sitting puts the most pressure on your lungs, heart and some other central organs but I do not know what it means.    If you sit and try to be mindful to breath faster does it help you if you get enough extra air?  Do you smoke?  Are you over weight at all in the belly area?

Thanks PD.  That was other good read thanks. :thumbsup:

Love to all

Birdy :smitten:

Hi PD,

my symptoms now are:

Any body have any idea?   

Thanks

TEX

Thanks Tex!  :smitten:  :smitten:

PD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fellow suffers  :hug: I just found this, its a new system for Tinnitus  undergoing trials and its In USA. So the rest of us will have to  wait on this trial outcome as its now closed to volunteers, and I'm in UK anyway with totally fk off tinnitus ear probs and hyperacusis hell right now  ::) And like others mines not in my ears its actually in my brain the raging tinnitus, like having your head turned into an fkn sound surround speaker of unwanted sounds plus sounds side effects  :D :D :D Anyway that's my moan for today :P but check out this gizmo trial below.

The Serenity System® has been developed by MicroTransponder to treat tinnitus. The Serenity System® pairs an existing therapy called Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) with listening to tones via headphones.  VNS has been used in the U.S. and around the world to treat over 90,000 patients for epilepsy and depression.

The device is fully implantable and is designed to be used at home.  During the therapy, an individual sits in a comfortable chair and wears headphones. They listen to tones while receiving small bursts of neurostimulation, which activate the vagus nerve.

To read more in depth information click the link below.

Informational page for a U.S. clinical trial for the treatment of tinnitus. http://www.tinnitustrial.com/

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi fellow suffers  :hug: I just found this, its a new system for Tinnitus  undergoing trials and its In USA. So the rest of us will have to  wait on this trial outcome as its now closed to volunteers, and I'm in UK anyway with totally fk off tinnitus ear probs and hyperacusis hell right now  ::) And like others mines not in my ears its actually in my brain the raging tinnitus, like having your head turned into an fkn sound surround speaker of unwanted sounds plus sounds side effects  :D :D :D Anyway that's my moan for today :P but check out this gizmo trial below.

The Serenity System® has been developed by MicroTransponder to treat tinnitus. The Serenity System® pairs an existing therapy called Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) with listening to tones via headphones.  VNS has been used in the U.S. and around the world to treat over 90,000 patients for epilepsy and depression.

The device is fully implantable and is designed to be used at home.  During the therapy, an individual sits in a comfortable chair and wears headphones. They listen to tones while receiving small bursts of neurostimulation, which activate the vagus nerve.

To read more in depth information click the link below.

Informational page for a U.S. clinical trial for the treatment of tinnitus. http://www.tinnitustrial.com/

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova, I have the "WHOLE BRAIN" tinnitus too.  It sucks!  Please keep an eye on the trial and report back hear if it works please.

I am sure in the next 10 years there will be a tinnitus fix.  Just waiting now.

I still envy this guy NO MORE T after a mild stroke.

discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/26-ringing-in-the-ears-goes-much-deeper

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if this is the place to post, but giving it a try. I'm pretty far along on my taper and within the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing persistent tinnitus. Not a new symptom, but becoming more pronounced and making it hard to concentrate. I'm looking for some encouraging words. Does this eventually pass? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to alleviate it or distract attention from it. Thanks

I listen to white noise, it takes my attention away from the tinnitus and sort of masks it.mI also use fans and sound machines to help fall asleep at night.

I've heard of some people whose tinnitus got much better eventually after getting off benzos, including one guy who went on them for 16 years due to sudden onset of tinnitus. His pretty much went away 14 months after c/t of a high dose of Klonopin.

Not sure if this is the place to post, but giving it a try. I'm pretty far along on my taper and within the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing persistent tinnitus. Not a new symptom, but becoming more pronounced and making it hard to concentrate. I'm looking for some encouraging words. Does this eventually pass? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to alleviate it or distract attention from it. Thanks

You may want to slow your taper even more. Trust me on this one.  LOWER DOSE = SLOWER TAPER

This is a re-post since I thought the info was good (Note to mods, I am not spamming ;D)

Tinnitus can last  5 to 7 years after the last dose and for some it never really goes away 100% but most people learn to ignore it with time.

Here are some articles and a video that recommend benzo's for stopping tinnitus which we know is a bad idea but never the less they offer the best scientific look at the tinnitus symptom and how it relates to the NMDA / BZD receptor in the brain.

Benzodiazepine Receptor Deficiency and Tinnitus

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=231

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14689626

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8343245

http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/14689626/Benzodiazepine-receptor-deficiency-and-tinnitus

You and I both have a Benzodiazepine Receptor Deficiency disorder of some kind thanks to the benzo's while some people have this naturally and are told to go on benzo's. 

I did read one study that said sleep deprivation signals the brain to grow them back.  The study

was done in Israel where sleep deprivation is considered a non-violent torture method to get

information out of terrorists by inducing a type of artificial Psychosis and Schizophrenia (SEE German study http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/828576)

The Israeli's noted a symptom in these prisoners they called sleep deprivation syndrome and

Iomazenil SPECT imaging found large clusters of new gabaa receptors had formed after several

cessions of 72 hours with no sleep, These prisoners exhibited strange symptoms months later and fell asleep while eating, showering, reading, sitting and even fell asleep while standing even months after sleep deprivation had ended since they evidently had too many gabaa receptors.  They eventually normalized.

I tried staying awake for 72 hours once and noticed two things.  My tinnitus got worse and worse!  At 34 hours the tinnitus was screaming 1000% louder.  At 34 hours I was totally whipped and had to sleep. After sleeping and waking the tinnitus went down to an all time low :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: 

I only did it once.    It was interesting and exhausting and screwed my sleep cycle up for 3 days. One thing is for sure I would not want to be a Palestinian prisoner. ever! :laugh:

5-7 years!? AHHHHH!!!!  :idiot::crazy:

Yeah I wish it was better news but for those of us that got hit really hard in the ears,,,

SURVEY SAYS,,,,, 5-7 years :'( :'( :'(    After talking to hundreds of people that's the number

I came up with.  For those who heal earlier all I can say is, "LUCKY BITCHES!"  :laugh:

Mine is healing at the rate of 10% a year I figure.  That's a long LONG time for me and others for Mrs. Ashton's famous - "LAST SYMPTOM TO GO"  :'( :'( :'(

Yeah I wish it was better news but for those of us that got hit really hard in the ears,,,

SURVEY SAYS,,,,, 5-7 years :'( :'( :'(    After talking to hundreds of people that's the number

I came up with.  For those who heal earlier all I can say is, "LUCKY BITCHES!"  :laugh:

Mine is healing at the rate of 10% a year I figure.  That's a long LONG time for me and others for Mrs. Ashton's famous - "LAST SYMPTOM TO GO"  :'( :'( :'(

:( :'( :'( :( :'( :'( :( :'( :'(  :(  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I want to scream!! It's not fair! (I hope I turn out to be a LUCKY BITCH!)  :)

:( :'( :'( :( :'( :'( :( :'( :'(  :(  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I want to scream!! It's not fair! (I hope I turn out to be a LUCKY BITCH!)  :)

Scream girl, let it all out. 

Then buy a set of wireless Blue-tooth stereo ear buds and put about 100 of your favorite tinnitus masking sounds on your smart phone or Ipod  (gen 5) and mask that tinnitus away until you heal.  Besides it's cool looking like a DJ in Walmart  ;D  :laugh:

The best masking sounds are on Youtube.  You can download any sound on YT as an MP3 sound by cutting and pasting the URL here  www.youtube-mp3.org