Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

[ef...]

I am  almost 3 months post jump.Tinnitis has been constant in my left ear for about 7 months and intermittent in my right. I read Birdman's post about it showing up as late as 800 days post jump. How long can it last? Can it be permanent?

Thanks,

Gilster

Mine got really bad when I tried a rapid taper of klonopin last January and has pretty much been with me since then, some times screaming some times low, I would love for it to go away when I have finished my taper but will feel okay if it just reduces to an acceptable level where I can dismiss it most of the time.

I am  almost 3 months post jump.Tinnitis has been constant in my left ear for about 7 months and intermittent in my right. I read Birdman's post about it showing up as late as 800 days post jump. How long can it last? Can it be permanent?

Thanks,

Gilster

I got it too, 2.5 months post jump.  All my research which is extensive indicates it can take a year or two.  Ashton alway said its the last sxs to go. I deal with it by ignoring it.  I refuse to obsess over it, and I am absolutely convinced it will go away.  It certainly hasn't worsened, and if anything is a little better.  Definitely better than thru my taper. I wish you the best

Mine got really bad when I tried a rapid taper of klonopin last January and has pretty much been with me since then, some times screaming some times low, I would love for it to go away when I have finished my taper but will feel okay if it just reduces to an acceptable level where I can dismiss it most of the time.

2trusting,  as you well know mine came from the CT and has never left.  I know that was the damage, hang in there it WILL get better and go away!

Yes NYC we have spoken of this in the past, what happens will happen though.

Just looked at your signature and is says you are now in acute, is this correct or is it old news? how was your acute stage and how long did it last? Interested as I think I will jump in 4 weeks at .03mg

Question..please help if you can on Jan. 12 I have an appointment with my primary care doctor to discuss coming off 1.5 to 2.5 mgs of Ativan after he put me back on them 11/28/16. I had originally cold turkeyed from 1 MG daily use for three months 10/7/16.  After the first cold turkey, I developed tinnitus, which I still have. My question is, to avoid my tinnitus getting worse in the least amount possible, should I consider tapering off the Ativan,  or subbing Valium for tapering?  And does anyone here take an antidepressant...do they make it worse, some I have tried does, but am considering maybe remeron? I heard it doesn't harm T?

Yes NYC we have spoken of this in the past, what happens will happen though.

Just looked at your signature and is says you are now in acute, is this correct or is it old news? how was your acute stage and how long did it last? Interested as I think I will jump in 4 weeks at .03mg

Great Question 2Trusting!  This is not acute at all to me, and I really didn't feel anything like that.  I really had no problems at all except a little anxiety and of course the T.  I read many times on this board that how you feel at the end will be how you feel coming off it, and that was the case.  I was doing fine the last few weeks taking .05, .04 etc. After two or three weeks of quitting all I had was T, and it has been that way since.  I haven't had any waves in two months, so I'm 99% healed....except for T.  Which is why this is one of the only forums I'm in on occasion.  My suggestion is Ashton's don't hold out the .05, .04 .03, it's all psychological at that point. There is no pharmaceutical value in those doses.  I'd go down to .06 or .05 but don't wait to heal!  Healing starts when you are at 0.0, i.e. done!

My T is on the uptick since I quit weed 10 days ago. I haven't mentioned that but I used weed to help me sleep when tapering K-Pin and it worked wonders.  Weed is my #1 addiction, I've been to Marijuana Anonymous meetings for 25 years.  I wasn't too concerned about picking up because I can quit it, but Klonopin can kill.  T is a side effect of weed withdrawal as well so I figured this would happen.  I also figured I'd have to quit weed to get rid of T.  I am fully confident my T will go away soon.  I don't worry about it, it's been 2.5 months, I was prepared for longer.

nyc: so T got worse once you stopped smoking? that is weird. I got some T still. it is something I can live with, but it is there. doesn't drive me crazy. I started to take ginkgo 2x30mg per day, and 200mg COQ10 in the morning. I feel that my T got 25% smaller or so. I will continue observing.

My T is on the uptick since I quit weed 10 days ago. I haven't mentioned that but I used weed to help me sleep when tapering K-Pin and it worked wonders.  Weed is my #1 addiction, I've been to Marijuana Anonymous meetings for 25 years.  I wasn't too concerned about picking up because I can quit it, but Klonopin can kill.  T is a side effect of weed withdrawal as well so I figured this would happen.  I also figured I'd have to quit weed to get rid of T.  I am fully confident my T will go away soon.  I don't worry about it, it's been 2.5 months, I was prepared for longer.

I wrote a nasty reply to your own ignorance but deleted it. You can write anything you want about me now because I will never read this tenacious T club thread again. Wish I had not started up this time. Adios Chico.

Weed is my #1 addiction, I've been to Marijuana Anonymous meetings for 25 years. 

Marijuana is NOT Addictive. In fact, my primary care doc has prescribed it for me. And it does help with the derealization. It doesn't take it away but it sure does help with the "fear" factor. There is nothing wrong with marijuana.

Dream Movie, no offense but this is probably the most ignorant comment I've ever seen on this entire board.  Marijuana is extremely addictive, physically, and psychologically. Withdrawals in the first week can be just as harsh as benzos, the only difference is weed withdrawals go away within a week or two where benzos...well you know.  Just google marijuana withdrawal.  If you're not a heavy smoker it's usually not an issue.  But that's like saying if you take 1 valium a week it's not an issue.

nyc: so T got worse once you stopped smoking? that is weird. I got some T still. it is something I can live with, but it is there. doesn't drive me crazy. I started to take ginkgo 2x30mg per day, and 200mg COQ10 in the morning. I feel that my T got 25% smaller or so. I will continue observing.

Locotus, good to see you're making progress!  My T isn't bad, but still lingering. It was amplified in weed withdrawal but calming down now.  I don't bother with the supplements anymore, I know that this will go away within a few months.  Like you, it really doesn't bother me, in fact I only deal with it at night when it's quiet; by day I can't hear it

I haven't written in this section before, but I need help and don't know where to post.  Tinnitus is my worst symptom and just won't quit.  I'm so fearful it will never go away.  It started when I jumped from Clonazepam the first time over 16 months ago.  I'm at over 10 months since I jumped the second and final time, and the tinnitus is still continuing.  It sounds like electricity in my head.  It fluctuates in loudness minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day and seems worse in the mornings and evenings before I eat.  Has anybody else followed this same pattern?    It is making me more depressed than I have already been.  How long will this go on or is it permanent?  I need hope.

iwsth

Hi all,

it's been a while, 3 months post jump and still got T. But it has never gotten worse, definitely slightly better.  I think at this rate of healing, it will be gone in about a year.  I'm fully functional but it's annoying.  I just take Gingko, I don't think it really helps but doesn't hurt.  I don't bother with maskers and really don't think about it other than when alone at night. Always gets worse at night and when I don't eat. But it has never interfered with work since post jump.  Hope everyone is hearing the wind blow.  Peace

Hi all,

it's been a while, 3 months post jump and still got T. But it has never gotten worse, definitely slightly better.  I think at this rate of healing, it will be gone in about a year.  I'm fully functional but it's annoying.  I just take Gingko, I don't think it really helps but doesn't hurt.  I don't bother with maskers and really don't think about it other than when alone at night. Always gets worse at night and when I don't eat. But it has never interfered with work since post jump.  Hope everyone is hearing the wind blow.  Peace

NYC2016, good to hear from you and that you are doing well except for the tinnitus.

I am still tapering and am now at .03mg of klonopin, expect to go to .02 then jump. Still have tinnitus 24/7 and some other S/X that come and go.

I see your signature says that at 5 weeks you got hit with acute, what did this consist of if you don't mind telling?

Wishing you well and hope your tinnitus keeps receding

2T

Hi all,

NYC2016, good to hear from you and that you are doing well except for the tinnitus.

I am still tapering and am now at .03mg of klonopin, expect to go to .02 then jump. Still have tinnitus 24/7 and some other S/X that come and go.

I see your signature says that at 5 weeks you got hit with acute, what did this consist of if you don't mind telling?

Wishing you well and hope your tinnitus keeps receding

2T

at 5 weeks I had what was probably my last wave, minor though. I think I meant more by definition (2 weeks to 3 months or so)  But really after two months I was fine.  I don't think there is any difference between .03 and .02, if you feel any sxs it's from the K leaving your body and would make no difference if you jump.  How you feel now should be how you feel when you jump so go for it!

Anyone get a lot of pressure and loud humming in one or both ears? I just suddenly woke up after only two hours of sleep with my right ear humming super bad and lots of pressure. It's been humming for the past seven hours but it wasn't this bad when I went to sleep. I feel shaky adn weak too but not sure if that part is withdrawal or anxiety from the noise/pressure. I took what was supposed to be my last pill before bedtime, now I'm even questioning if I should delay my jump. It's humming really bad.

Anyone get a lot of pressure and loud humming in one or both ears? I just suddenly woke up after only two hours of sleep with my right ear humming super bad and lots of pressure. It's been humming for the past seven hours but it wasn't this bad when I went to sleep. I feel shaky adn weak too but not sure if that part is withdrawal or anxiety from the noise/pressure. I took what was supposed to be my last pill before bedtime, now I'm even questioning if I should delay my jump. It's humming really bad.

I did after my first cold turkey off Ativan. After my doctor reinstated the Ativan at a higher dose and now I am in a couple weeks into tapering, it's back. My tinnitus is in both ears, sometimes one, and head pressures along with headaches and ear aches are persistent and resist Tylenol. An ENT explained to me, at least in my experience that the humming g actually comes from the brain and perception, not from our ears, and the pressure could well be a withdrawal symptom. I honestly think as I have had a few experiences similar to yours, and think the weakness and shakiness could be anxiety from not only the loud T and pressure, but also from your anticipated jumping.  But also in that aspect, T symptoms can be worse with anxiety.  The double edged sword. Both can be worse by each other.T is terrible under any circumstances, especially ours. My thoughts go with you. I over the past months have been told many ways to get it quiet, all kinds of advice. We have to do d what works for us to calm ourselves down. Rest in comfort that some day, it will quiet down, or go away! At least in hope!

I did after my first cold turkey off Ativan. After my doctor reinstated the Ativan at a higher dose and now I am in a couple weeks into tapering, it's back. My tinnitus is in both ears, sometimes one, and head pressures along with headaches and ear aches are persistent and resist Tylenol. An ENT explained to me, at least in my experience that the humming g actually comes from the brain and perception, not from our ears, and the pressure could well be a withdrawal symptom. I honestly think as I have had a few experiences similar to yours, and think the weakness and shakiness could be anxiety from not only the loud T and pressure, but also from your anticipated jumping.  But also in that aspect, T symptoms can be worse with anxiety.  The double edged sword. Both can be worse by each other.T is terrible under any circumstances, especially ours. My thoughts go with you. I over the past months have been told many ways to get it quiet, all kinds of advice. We have to do d what works for us to calm ourselves down. Rest in comfort that some day, it will quiet down, or go away! At least in hope!

Thanks Pumpkin, it's comforting to hear from others with similar experiences. I agree that T and anxiety have a nasty feedback loop with each other. The humming decreased after an hour enough for me to fall back asleep for another four hours. It's still humming a little bit this morning. It's aleays humming but the volume is usually low. Spiking up in the middle of the night like that had me worrying about ear infections and going deaf, which of course doesn't help the anxiety.

I have had tinnitus since I my doctor tried to rapid taper me off of klonopin.

It seems that mine will go up or down in volume depending where I am in a cut cycle, also did have the pressure thing, this has now gone. What has remained is the fact that if I sleep for a short time I will always wake to loud tinnitus, if I have a good sleep it seems that my tinnitus will get lower in volume.

You are not alone in your worries regarding tinnitus, I do hope it goes away given time but will accept a very low level as a win.

Thanks Pumpkin, it's comforting to hear from others with similar experiences. I agree that T and anxiety have a nasty feedback loop with each other. The humming decreased after an hour enough for me to fall back asleep for another four hours. It's still humming a little bit this morning. It's aleays humming but the volume is usually low. Spiking up in the middle of the night like that had me worrying about ear infections and going deaf, which of course doesn't help the anxiety.

Had depression before Ativan. Psychologist believes that I was misdiagnosed as having anxiety when it was depression.Was put on Ativan.. Tapering now from 2 mgs daily, now down to 1.65 mgs daily, at night to sleep. Also take 900 mgs to of gabapentin, 300 mgs 3 times daily. Take 300 mgs with my Ativan to sleep. now my doctor wrote me a script to begin amitriptyline 50mgs before bed. Can you safely take all three of these together? I want off the Ativan and gabapentin.my body is so messed up. Amitriptyline, gabapentin, Ativan. Recipe for disaster? I am scared! Should mention I have tinnitus for some reason since Oct 2016.

Amitriptyline do any good at all?

Thanks,

Gilster

Don't ask me questions like that.  Some of my conclusions on the tinnitus topic are not good.  Most people heal from benzo's symptoms 99.9% but the tinnitus issue seems to have a life of it's own.  It's benzo related sure but it's one area where abstinence does not always guarantee a fix.

I speak regularly to just a few too many people that are 9, 10 14, 15, 17 and 21 years-out telling me "NEXT YEARS GOING TO BE THE YEAR MY T GOES AWAY". 

This ONE S/X that just may be the one symptom that does indeed get better with time but for many of us it's never truly healed. 

If you can make a life for yourself with tinnitus then do so.

However, if your suicidal with your tinnitus read this with an open mind and treat it as you would any DISEASE, in this case the diagnosis is: Benzodiazepine receptor deficiency in the mid brain, medial temporal lobe and greater DCN complex.

Read, learn and don't do the unthinkable.

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=231

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14689626

I post this for those who have waited and suffered, and suffered, and suffered...

Find your own path.

Birdy

Hi fellow tinnitus sufferers. I'm just looking for advice. Please see my signature. I need to get off this Klonopin without upsetting my tinnitus and I'm willing to take whatever I need to in order block cortisol and glutamate, then slowly taper off that.

I've seen some people get pretty experimental. If I had such a terrible reaction from stopping at only 2 weeks of 5mg Valium, I can only imagine after 3 months of .325 of Klonopin. I've got the ear pressure, fluttering, H and T - from just 2 WEEKS of that baby dose of valium. I believe it's because I already had high cortisol from the SSRI akathisia reaction.

I've seen some success with gabapentin which I'm already on anyway. It's shown to block glutamate and cortisol. I'm thinking of upping that then doing a really slow taper from that. Has anyone seen that work?