Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

I thought this would be a good post for this thread too.

I was reading about Gingo experiences in several tinnitus groups like the ATA and most of the senior members agreed that the only true Ginkgo biloba extract that was potent enough to be a 'pharmaceutical grade' Ginko so I got some too

http://www.schwabepharma.com/products/tebonin/ Tebonin®EGb 761®

I so potent that it's not available in many countries as it commonly causes withdrawal when you stop taking it.  Many people with tinnitus swear by it and take it for life.

One company uses  Tebonin®EGb 761® in their pills and is sold in the USA and UK called Gingold by Nature's Way

MORE INFO on Tebonin®EGb 761® and Gingold by Nature's Way -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12757407

I hope it helps someone.

I''d like to know if anyone in this forum tries it. The fact that it causes withdrawal if you stop taking it makes me hesitate.

It's a sad fact I learned the hard way; 

"IF IT WORKS WELL - IT'S PROBABLY HABIT FORMING"

Tebonin®EGb 761® is a very special type of Ginko.  A patented process makes a highly concentrated version and removes the "TOXIC END" of the Ginko alkaloids allowing it to be used in way higher doses than is normally possible.

I am taking it now and it makes a difference in tinnitus intensity.  You have NOT tried Ginko until you tried this stuff!!  Hard to find.  Found a few sources on amazon and ebay by Googling  for  "Tebonin EGb 761".

As far as I know it is only legal in Germany, France and NZ.  It has not been approved in most countries due to it's high potency and a general lack of funding for helping benzo and tinnitus sufferers makes this product uninteresting and unprofitable to most big companies that would normally push for approval (the old story)  It's been around for 38 years and I can't find any horror stories except people who c/t'd it. Most people take it for life or taper it.

I did not have any respect for this stuff after so many failed supplements so I took 480 mgs the first time and I went on a total trip! :D

(lower tinnitus sure but while seeing colors and geometric patterns :o!!  H.S.!  When I closed my eyes in a dark room I could still see light all over,  psychoactive for sure but in a nice way) 

I took less the next time  :)

This is NOT like store bought Ginko at all,  Tebonin is STRONG!! :o

If you took enough store bought Gingo to get this effect you would be sick as a dog!  Tebonin is just the best end of the Ginko with all the toxic crap removed.

It's lowered my tinnitus, raise my happiness level a very noticeable amount and gave me energy without the extra anxiety that having extra energy normally brings. 

I did quit it once for 6 days and I felt like I was 101 years old. 

Lifting a pencil felt like lifting a lead brick!  Yes it is something one has to stick with daily.

STUDY HERE http://www.schwabepharma.com/products/tebonin/

For the symptomatic treatment of mental losses due to organic brain syndrome within the framework of a general therapeutic concept in case of progressive impairment or loss of mental capacities (dementia syndrome) having as major symptoms:  Deficient memory, disturbances of concentration, depressive mood, dizziness, tinnitus and headache. The primary target group includes patients with demential syndrome in primary degenerative dementia, vascular dementia and mixed forms of both. Individual response to the treatment cannot be predicted. Prior to starting treatment with this preparation, clarification should be obtained as to whether the pathological symptoms encountered are not based on an underlying disease requiring a specific treatment.

Improvement of the pain-free walking distance in peripheral arterial occlusive disease in FONTAINE stage II (intermittent claudication) within the framework of physical therapeutic measures, in particular walking training.

Vertigo of vascular and involutional origin.

Supportive treatment in case of tinnitus of vascular and involutional origin.

Active ingredient:

Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761®

Tebonin® contains Schwabe’s unique Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761®. Since its launch in 1975 EGb 761® has been an outstanding success in numerous countries. In several countries including Germany it is approved for the treatment of dementia and for vascular disorders such as tinnitus, vertigo and peripheral arterial occlusive disease. EGb 761® is manufactured in a patented multi-stage process. One ton (1,000 kg) of the dried leaves yields only 20 kg of EGb 761®. During the production process, the concentrations of active principles are increased by a factor of up to 100. In addition, potentially harmful ingredients are eliminated from the final product.

Approved indication in Germany:

For the symptomatic treatment of mental losses due to organic brain syndrome within the framework of a general therapeutic concept in case of progressive impairment or loss of mental capacities (dementia syndrome) having as major symptoms:  Deficient memory, disturbances of concentration, depressive mood, dizziness, tinnitus and headache. The primary target group includes patients with demential syndrome in primary degenerative dementia, vascular dementia and mixed forms of both. Individual response to the treatment cannot be predicted. Prior to starting treatment with this preparation, clarification should be obtained as to whether the pathological symptoms encountered are not based on an underlying disease requiring a specific treatment.

Improvement of the pain-free walking distance in peripheral arterial occlusive disease in FONTAINE stage II (intermittent claudication) within the framework of physical therapeutic measures, in particular walking training.

Vertigo of vascular and involutional origin.

Supportive treatment in case of tinnitus of vascular and involutional origin.

Note: If conditions persist, are unclear or new, consult a doctor as diseases requiring medical clarification might be involved.

For information on precautions for use, side effects and contra-indications see the package leaflet or contact your doctor or pharmacist.

I've been taking Teobonin for about a month. No clear indication that it's doing anything; sometimes my tinnitus is okay and sometimes it's miserable.

I've been taking Teobonin for about a month. No clear indication that it's doing anything; sometimes my tinnitus is okay and sometimes it's miserable.

Hi X, are you taking 480 mg per day like I am? (120mg every 6 hours) How much do you take?

Birdy  :smitten:

Well here I am again. Have a question, a shameful question. I cold turkeyed from 1 mg daily ativan on October 7, 2016 after three months daily use. My worst symptom, I developed tinnitus. In mid November started to get bad headaches. Got scared, went to the doctor and allowed him to what I stupidly began in desperation 2 mgs of ativan, beginning  11/28/16. I know stupid!!!

So now I get the bad side effects again and want off. I go back to my doctor late next week, and I know a cold turkey is stupid and not possible this time. I hope that I can crossover to valium. Anyway, do you think that I can avoid making tinnitus worse if I do a proper taper or sub taper? Anyone with experience? Scared!

Well here I am again. Have a question, a shameful question. I cold turkeyed from 1 mg daily ativan on October 7, 2016 after three months daily use. My worst symptom, I developed tinnitus. In mid November started to get bad headaches. Got scared, went to the doctor and allowed him to what I stupidly began in desperation 2 mgs of ativan, beginning  11/28/16. I know stupid!!!

So now I get the bad side effects again and want off. I go back to my doctor late next week, and I know a cold turkey is stupid and not possible this time. I hope that I can crossover to valium. Anyway, do you think that I can avoid making tinnitus worse if I do a proper taper or sub taper? Anyone with experience? Scared!

Valium rules.  90% of your problem is the Ativan.  Too powerful and too short acting.  Now if you took the ativan 6 times a day you would have no side effects.  I did this by putting the dose into water and drinking it every 4 hours.  One bottle with 6 lines and some yogurt to keep it thick and suspended well (still need to shake well before drinking.

Easy fix.

As far as the tinnitus goes taper SLOW very slow.  The more you hear it the more the brain begins to learn the sound pattern and sometimes it can't be switched off no matter what.  Be careful if your prone to tinnitus.  It can kick in hardest 2 or 3 months AFTER jumping so taper the very end extra EXTRA slow!

Thank you... I am hoping my doctor will be open to this! I know I need an antidepressant,  but most of them aggravate T and fan he ototoxic. The only one I know of that might get not be is amitryptiline. I don't think I can take it on a benzoyl because of the cns depression.

Thank you... I am hoping my doctor will be open to this! I know I need an antidepressant,  but most of them aggravate T and fan he ototoxic. The only one I know of that might get not be is amitryptiline. I don't think I can take it on a benzoyl because of the cns depression.

There is an old style antidepressant that helped many people drop their tinnitus intensity considerably.

I read from  www.tinnitustalk.com and the members voted and said  Anafranil 25mg is the best for softening tinnitus and is voted the #1 AD drug on the list for tinnitus relieving AD's.  Keep in mind this effect takes a few months to kick in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Anafranil+helps+tinnitus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

WARNING:

Antidepressants: It should also be noted that, while not strictly ototoxic, prescription antidepressants can cause or worsen tinnitus for some people. Both the older, tricyclic, and the newer, SSRI, antidepressants have this capability. Among the tricyclics, Clomipramine and Amitriptyline are among the most frequent offenders for horrific tinnitus in the long term.

Paste from  www.ata.org

Antidepressants and Antianxiety Drugs

The medications most often used in tinnitus management are psychoactive drugs that treat the behavioral issues related to tinnitus. These drugs can help relieve the stress, anxiety, and depression related to tinnitus, minimizing the psychological burden of the condition. Because there is a circular relationship between negative emotions and tinnitus (tinnitus causes anxiety, which makes tinnitus seem worse, which causes more anxiety...) it is also possible that psychoactive drugs may make tinnitus itself less noticeable for some patients.

Common antidepressant drugs used in relation to tinnitus include:

Clomipramine (Anafranil)

Desipramine (Norpramin)

Imipramine (Tofranil)

Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Protriptyline (Vivactil)

Anafranil is a powerful Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder drug, #1.  And after years of tinnitus my docs have classified it as an Obsessive–compulsive disorder.  In my case my doc have me write in a journal every time my tinnitus bugged me.  I had 1454 strikes in the journal in just one day!!

If that is not an obsessive–compulsive disorder I do not know what is! 

Anafranil helps your mind say "Fuck it" and just move on from the whole tinnitus obsession problem :thumbsup:

See video - https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AObsessive_compulsive_disorder.webm

Paste from  www.ata.org

Wow, maybe I shouldn't be looking at the physicians desk reference then...it actually shows some of these to be higher in ototoxicity than the amitriptyline. Ativan I have seen there is associated with hearing loss,  so I am worried my hearing is getting worse.

The medications most often used in tinnitus management are psychoactive drugs that treat the behavioral issues related to tinnitus. These drugs can help relieve the stress, anxiety, and depression related to tinnitus, minimizing the psychological burden of the condition. Because there is a circular relationship between negative emotions and tinnitus (tinnitus causes anxiety, which makes tinnitus seem worse, which causes more anxiety...) it is also possible that psychoactive drugs may make tinnitus itself less noticeable for some patients.

Clomipramine (Anafranil)

Desipramine (Norpramin)

Imipramine (Tofranil)

Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Protriptyline (Vivactil)

Anafranil is a powerful Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder drug, #1.  And after years of tinnitus my docs have classified it as an Obsessive–compulsive disorder.  In my case my doc have me write in a journal every time my tinnitus bugged me.  I had 1454 strikes in the journal in just one day!!

Anafranil helps your mind say "Fuck it" and just move on from the whole tinnitus obsession problem :thumbsup:

See video - https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AObsessive_compulsive_disorder.webm

Paste from  www.ata.org

Wow, maybe I shouldn't be looking at the physicians desk reference then...it actually shows some of these to be higher in ototoxicity than the amitriptyline. Ativan I have seen there is associated with hearing loss,  so I am worried my hearing is getting worse.

Clomipramine (Anafranil)

Desipramine (Norpramin)

Imipramine (Tofranil)

Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Protriptyline (Vivactil)

Thank you... I am hoping my doctor will be open to this! I know I need an antidepressant,  but most of them aggravate T and fan he ototoxic. The only one I know of that might get not be is amitryptiline. I don't think I can take it on a benzoyl because of the cns depression

Hi Pumpkin, Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is similar to amitryptiline and I have heard many good reports for Nortriptyline and it helping tinnitus. 

Keep in mind I have learned ONE RULE that is always true.  Anything that can help tinnitus WILL make tinnitus worse when you stop taking it.  If you pick an AD and it helps you and your tinnitus your probably not going to be getting off without the consequences of amplified tinnitus, these AD drugs are usually for life.

new here. so what pill can I swallow to make tinnitus better? other then benzo lol.

i've heard ginkgo? how much.

If you find the pill you will make a fortune, I will be first in line with my credit card!

Hi All, I developed tinnitus towards the end of my taper. Probably around 20% of original dose or two 1/2 months before finishing. I'm just over two months benzo free. A couple of weeks ago, the tinnitus started improving dramatically, but now I'm not sure if it's still there or if I listened to it for so long my brain still thinks it's there? Every sound that reminds me of it, I focus on. Any suggestions on to stop the obsessiveness? I spent the first couple of months incessantly listening to it and can't seem to stop that behavior. Lol Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi All, I developed tinnitus towards the end of my taper. Probably around 20% of original dose or two 1/2 months before finishing. I'm just over two months benzo free. A couple of weeks ago, the tinnitus started improving dramatically, but now I'm not sure if it's still there or if I listened to it for so long my brain still thinks it's there? Every sound that reminds me of it, I focus on. Any suggestions on to stop the obsessiveness? I spent the first couple of months incessantly listening to it and can't seem to stop that behavior. Lol Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I suggest always having some sound in the background or using earbuds, maybe some pleasant music. Your brain can only pay attention to so many things at a time. A pleasant sound will draw your attention to it and away from the tinnitus.

I've been doing that for months now. 😊 Including using 'cricket' sounds, etc. Everything has helped.  I think my problem is that now that it seems to be dissipating my brain has become use to it and is seeking it out. I know that sounds odd.

I've been doing that for months now. 😊 Including using 'cricket' sounds, etc. Everything has helped.  I think my problem is that now that it seems to be dissipating my brain has become use to it and is seeking it out. I know that sounds odd.

I found the only thing that works well is hearing aids with build in blue tooth sound coming from an ipod 5 - This way you have the crickets and also every other sound is cranked up to 300% higher too so you can hear people talking to you and have crickets also at the same time. This way you hear a LOT of noise and you can still hear the outside environment (while it does sound like everyone is screaming at you :laugh: sometimes)    I use Starkey 110 hearing aids.  They work VERY well but my tinnitus was on the very loud side so I need an extreme solution like this but now I have the power to make ONLY the noise I choose dominate over the tinnitus.

I guess I gave myself a case of hyperacusis with these hearing aids but its helpful actually, at this stage at least.

How come it seems to me that my tinnitus is louder than anything else. Doesn't matter if it is a marching band, concert band or just plain war in general? I can't drown it out. Oh, and I don't have enough money for blue tooth. Or any other color for that matter. I'm so sick of this whole thing.

How come it seems to me that my tinnitus is louder than anything else. Doesn't matter if it is a marching band, concert band or just plain war in general? I can't drown it out. Oh, and I don't have enough money for blue tooth. Or any other color for that matter. I'm so sick of this whole thing.

Did you ever try an AD called ANAFRANIL?  It's got a lot of good press at  www.tinnitustalk.com

Lots of people say that after 30-60 days of Anafranil 50mg per day they get fantastic relief from tinnitus and some even say it works to cool off hot gabaA receptors from benzo use.

I like ANAFRANIL but if you stop taking it the W/D is TINNITUS so I had to make a "LIFE" choice to be on it for good.  It has lots of good AD effects with no side effects that I have noticed, it's all good so far.

Old Chinese proverb:  Any drug that helps a problem makes that problem worse when you quit that drug.  SO TRUE OF ALL DRUGS THAT WORK!!!

So if you are not freaked out about being on a new drug for life Anafranil has a good record.  Warning It takes 2 or 3 months of Anafranil to really show good results.

http://www.psychotropical.com/clomipramine-potent-snri-anti-depressant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEFXxvGtpPI

Hello all. I am about 5 months benzo free after tapering off 6mg lorazepam. Things going well. Sleep is really amazing given where it was the last two years. About a month ago my left ear just kind of popped and felt like when you change altitudes flying. Still have it. Doc says ears are clean and drum is fine. Can tinnitus from benzos start this far post taper? Never had any such issues while tapering. Thanks for any reply.

Hello all. I am about 5 months benzo free after tapering off 6mg lorazepam. Things going well. Sleep is really amazing given where it was the last two years. About a month ago my left ear just kind of popped and felt like when you change altitudes flying. Still have it. Doc says ears are clean and drum is fine. Can tinnitus from benzos start this far post taper? Never had any such issues while tapering. Thanks for any reply.

Tinnitus is not only the longest lived S/X but it has a habit of showing up as long as 800 days after the taper ends in the worst case scenario's.  Benzo's build up in bones and fat and can be in your system a long time after a jump.  When your ears popped that was probably the last trace of benzo finally clearing your system.  Hearing is very finely tuned so a tiny trace of benzo can do it. 

Many people with delayed tinnitus commonly report tinnitus 3 months after a jump but it can go longer.

my tinnitus popped up about 3 weeks post jump. thats also when my sleep started to have more disturbance. if that's a sign that benzo's left my system for good then, I suppose this is a good sign.

Question..please help if you can on Jan. 12 I have an appointment with my primary care doctor to discuss coming off 1.5 to 2.5 mgs of Ativan after he put me back on them 11/28/16. I had originally cold turkeyed from 1 MG daily use for three months 10/7/16.  After the first cold turkey, I developed tinnitus, which I still have. My question is, to avoid my tinnitus getting worse in the least amount possible, should I consider tapering off the Ativan,  or subbing Valium for tapering?  And does anyone here take an antidepressant...do they make it worse, some I have tried does, but am considering maybe remeron? I heard it doesn't harm T?