Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

How nice to get a break 2trusting!  It's a sign of better days ahead... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the nice words.

Today is Sunday and am back to feeling like I have flu with anxiety and loud tinnitus, I almost as if I am being taunted like a cat and a mouse.

Birdman,

Your sig said you jumped back in 2013, but your recent post sounds like you are tapering.  I am confused, but then I'm also in WD.

Sofa

Long story,  I had a crash in a blackhawk helicopter about 17 months ago and they forced me on benzo's for a few weeks.  I had to taper again.

Hi Birdy

It's nice to hear from you. I'm fine--still some low grade tinnitus I'm aware of from time to time. I  had some of it prior to benzos but it did get worse during my taper when I had the flu. It is certainly the last symptom to go. I hope you're doing well. I'll be in Vegas for the Olympia.

Bart

Hi Birdy

It's nice to hear from you. I'm fine--still some low grade tinnitus I'm aware of from time to time. I  had some of it prior to benzos but it did get worse during my taper when I had the flu. It is certainly the last symptom to go. I hope you're doing well. I'll be in Vegas for the Olympia.

Bart

Bart, I can't believe it's been a year since the last Olympia. 

It's unfair that things take this long to heal :'( :'( :'(

Hugs Birdy :smitten:

Birdman,

Your sig said you jumped back in 2013, but your recent post sounds like you are tapering.  I am confused, but then I'm also in WD.

Sofa

Long story,  I had a crash in a blackhawk helicopter about 17 months ago and they forced me on benzo's for a few weeks.  I had to taper again.

Time does fly, Birdy. Have you healed from the chopper crash? I can't believe it's been 17 months.

Bart

Birdman,

Sofa

Time does fly, Birdy. Have you healed from the chopper crash? I can't believe it's been 17 months.

Bart

Hi Bart,  I have mostly healed from that and I am still undergoing cosmetic surgery to fix the scarring. 

Birdy

I just need to vent...my ears are absolutely without a doubt at their worst! I'm going out of my mind! There are several different tones, one of them gets extremely high pitched and increases and decreases in volume. Does it ever end?? 

I just need to vent...my ears are absolutely without a doubt at their worst! I'm going out of my mind! There are several different tones, one of them gets extremely high pitched and increases and decreases in volume. Does it ever end??

It takes time so get some ear buds and an MP3 player and MASK out the sound with white noise or music and play it loud (not too loud).  It's the ONLY way I got through this when my T peaked 3 years ago.  Hearing is a VERY touchy system in the brain with a hair trigger.  You just have to dominate your brains sound with the sounds you want!!  Time for sound masking.

I need to use an ear bud and the sounds of crickets to sleep 50% of the time.

I had very minor tinnitus for years and thought zero about it, my doctor trying to get me off klonopin by cutting my dose in half is what made it go to an obnoxious level.

Some days it is really loud and some it is quiet enough for it not worry me that much.

It takes time so get some ear buds and an MP3 player and MASK out the sound with white noise or music and play it loud (not too loud).  It's the ONLY way I got through this when my T peaked 3 years ago.  Hearing is a VERY touchy system in the brain with a hair trigger.  You just have to dominate your brains sound with the sounds you want!!  Time for sound masking.

Thanks Birdy,

I'm going to Best.com and get  an MP3 player and some ear buds. I'm so behind in technology it's almost funny!  Thanks so much. Marc gave me a link that requires I use earbuds for my laptop and I don't have any! So I couldn't do it. I gotta get with the times, for sure!  hahaha!! 

I need to use an ear bud and the sounds of crickets to sleep 50% of the time.

I had very minor tinnitus for years and thought zero about it, my doctor trying to get me off klonopin by cutting my dose in half is what made it go to an obnoxious level.

Some days it is really loud and some it is quiet enough for it not worry me that much.

I don't even know what to say to this 2trusting. I think your user name speaks volumes (no pun intended, haha). My doctor.....if only I could sue! At least I'd have some sort of revenge, although I can think of far worse things....like feed her massive amounts of assorted benzos for years and yank her off telling her "don't worry about it, I know what I'm doing"....

Thanks Birdy,

I'm going to Best.com and get  an MP3 player and some ear buds. I'm so behind in technology it's almost funny!  Thanks so much. Marc gave me a link that requires I use earbuds for my laptop and I don't have any! So I couldn't do it. I gotta get with the times, for sure!  hahaha!!

If you get a good powerful player and find the right sounds on YOUTUBE.COM

You have it made. 

Here is a great link to download any white noise or songs you like from youtube

http://www.youtubeinmp3.com/

Then just drag and drop the MP3 files on your SD chip from your MP3 player.

Does anyone experience humming and pressure a lot more in one ear than the other?

Very common, I had it BAD!!!!!  I reinstated and did a MORE slow taper and that never happened to me again. 

Maybe its time to hold until it goes away?

I've had it off and on ever since I started benzos. If I waited for it to go away, I'd never cut. I also had pre-existing tinnitus in my left ear that's more of your typical "scree" sound. It happened after a sudden hearing loss before I was ever on meds. I was also diagnosd with a chronic inner ear disease. So I'm never sure if my ear problems are me, or triggered by the benzos. The pressure and hum in my right ear started after I got on benzos so I'm hoping that part at least will eventually get better once I'm off.

I don't have the pressure/hum every day. If it's really bad I don't cut, but if it's somewhat mild or I go a several days without, then I cut. I just want to get off this stuff as fast as I can without making myself totally miserable. My ear symptoms are unpleasant but manageable at the moment. It does help to know others here have similar symptoms who don't normally have ear problems.

It's just weird how each ear has different symptoms.

The reason I began taking benzos (this time around) was because of severe hyperacusis, tinnitus, ear/facial pain and other strange symptoms like a facial pseudo-numbness, migraines and daily attacks of dizziness.  I experience a "fluttering" or "wooshing" type sensation/sound in my left ear in response to noises in addition to sounds just sounding louder and more shrill in general.  It would take forever to list all my symptoms and the grief they cause me, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Ativan helped quite a bit for 2 and a half years, and much of my sound tolerances improved.

As I taper from diazepam, I find my symptoms becoming worse again.  I've only reduced my dose by 2.5mg, but already I can feel the fullness and pain striking my ears, which are even sensitive to the sound of me typing this message on my keyboard.  My already loud and piercing tinnitus is becoming even more loud and piercing as well.  I feel it is only a matter of time before the facial symptoms, headaches and dizziness return.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm happy to have found this thread, because until now I thought I was suffering from something very unique to most on this board.

I've had it off and on ever since I started benzos. If I waited for it to go away, I'd never cut. I also had pre-existing tinnitus in my left ear that's more of your typical "scree" sound. It happened after a sudden hearing loss before I was ever on meds. I was also diagnosd with a chronic inner ear disease. So I'm never sure if my ear problems are me, or triggered by the benzos. The pressure and hum in my right ear started after I got on benzos so I'm hoping that part at least will eventually get better once I'm off.

I don't have the pressure/hum every day. If it's really bad I don't cut, but if it's somewhat mild or I go a several days without, then I cut. I just want to get off this stuff as fast as I can without making myself totally miserable. My ear symptoms are unpleasant but manageable at the moment. It does help to know others here have similar symptoms who don't normally have ear problems.

I also had preexisting tinnitus but it didn't really worry me much and was pretty soft, after about 2 1/2 months of klonopin for another reason I tried a rapid taper per my doctor and that was when my T got loud and obnoxious (only during the taper), also it was what started my sensitivity to loud noises.

Between that time and the start of my taper klonopin would then make it more manageable again, go figure that one, k made it bad in the first place then was the thing that made it better.

Now that I am slowly tapering it seems that when I cut my t gets worse until it is pretty loud and keeps me awake at night then it will quieten down to a very livable level for a few days until I cut and the cycle starts over again.

My hope is that when I am finally off this drug my t will back down to the level it was prior to being on K.

I do know that some people who have bad t are prescribed benzos to quieten it down which probably seems like a wonder drug to start off with but we all know what that can turn into.

Rest assure you are not alone in anything you have described

In that case it may not even be a benzo S/X.  Only you can know.

Feel better soon Grape juice :smitten:

The reason I began taking benzos (this time around) was because of severe hyperacusis, tinnitus, ear/facial pain and other strange symptoms like a facial pseudo-numbness, migraines and daily attacks of dizziness.  I experience a "fluttering" or "wooshing" type sensation/sound in my left ear in response to noises in addition to sounds just sounding louder and more shrill in general.  It would take forever to list all my symptoms and the grief they cause me, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Ativan helped quite a bit for 2 and a half years, and much of my sound tolerances improved.

As I taper from diazepam, I find my symptoms becoming worse again.  I've only reduced my dose by 2.5mg, but already I can feel the fullness and pain striking my ears, which are even sensitive to the sound of me typing this message on my keyboard.  My already loud and piercing tinnitus is becoming even more loud and piercing as well.  I feel it is only a matter of time before the facial symptoms, headaches and dizziness return.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm happy to have found this thread, because until now I thought I was suffering from something very unique to most on this board.

Tapers to address the tinnitus S/X can take much longer for us in the "EAR GROUP"

For some reason lots of us get hit hardest in the ears. 

In fact I'd take anxiety over tinnitus any day.  TINNITUS is the WORST!!!

As I type Left Ear is Screaming . Been on bz`s over 20 years and developed it while on them . IMHO it could be a pre existing condition but for sure has gotten worse since I dropped over half my klonopin from 4 mgs to 1.5 mgs and still tapering . PS: am a Logger so maybe the Saws + k taper ~ hell if I know, but sure sucks ! Thankfully just my left ear !

As I type Left Ear is Screaming . Been on bz`s over 20 years and developed it while on them . IMHO it could be a pre existing condition but for sure has gotten worse since I dropped over half my klonopin from 4 mgs to 1.5 mgs and still tapering . PS: am a Logger so maybe the Saws + k taper ~ hell if I know, but sure sucks ! Thankfully just my left ear !

Hi Can do, Do you mean that you did not even cut and developed the loudT?  How bad was it when on 4mg K before the taper?

I was 100% fine until I started tapering but  my left ear is better now but better is not perfect :tickedoff: