Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Nova, I feel for you with all the issues.  I also have severe burning nerve pain in my feet, tongue and urinary tract area,  It is horrendous.  My T isn't horrible but I certainly wouldn't want it to get any worse.  I have to find something to help me cope with the nerve burning pain as I can't take much more.  I'm so sorry you all have the ear pain etc.  Its awful also.  I get the boom sound sometimes along with the fullness etc but have only had pain in the ear a few times.  I don't like loud noises either, It just revs me up.  Hope science can soon find something to help all of these awful s/x's .  Never signed up for this.

Hi all

Is there anyone tried Memantine to reduces glutamate levels?

Memantine only works at very high levels.  I do not want to get into dosing levels here on this thread but they have to be "that high"

Problem #1.  Memantine is habit forming.  Catch 22.

Probably be better off using a low level of long acting benzo and taper again.  I reinstated 5 times and retapered.    All where good moves for me.  The root of the problem is NOT that I reinstated (lower levels each time) so many times but the root of the problem is that I jumped too early 5 times. I think the pressure to "JUMP" made me do stupid things.  So I f__ked up,  try try again works too.

If I could do it all over again I'd draw up a 5 year long taper plan and stop stressing about jumping.  Jumping does not = healing.  Heal first, jump after.  Now that's a good taper strategy.  Water micro tapers are the best thing at the end of a long taper macro taper schedule.

Hi Birdie  :hug: how are you doing? Still good I hope :) Yeah the above statement is what got me in to trouble the 'myth' that you don't heal until your off yadda. yadda.yadda ::) Tapering down to fast is also what wreaked my ears amongst other things but the load of  ear problems are the worst  :D I thought a few times about up-dosing but a couple of accidental small ones made me feel awful.

But I did wonder if I had purposely up-dosed by at least 1 mg or 2 would it have been a help as the two small mistakes took at least a week to settle down. Anyway what I am doing is going 'sideways'' holding where I am for as long as it takes, as since I hit 4mg it all went  from really down hill to extra super down hill where especially all the ear problems I accumulated.

But the worse two ear stuff is the tenacious tinnitus and the hyperacusis  :D That shit disables me more than the severe burning nerve pain an other physical sxs Its taken me a year to get rid of a tiny 8mls from 200mls of plain water by putting 2mg pill out of the four liquid with water Milk made me feel terrible on day one and Alcohol, :D

My CNS is so messed up that 3mls of vodka in 200mls of water actually burned d all the way around my brain and made me feel like I was half pissed for 4 hours then hell broke loose :o And I could tase that tiny bit like it was a glass of vodka not seriously diluted, and man!! I thought Alcohol was the 'Fifth element'' before all this crap and could drink big amounts still be cool and no hang over. I can't stand the smell now, so I'm now coming up Monday 10 weeks in to at least 6 months holding at just under 4mg and I also reckon that 5 year's the minimum to get the hell off this crap totally from my current dose.

I don't give a shit about the Pharmacological point of view about in 8 weeks blood levels of Diazepam are non existent so what? The Neurological damage and the shock My poor CNS is in from cutting too fast at the start are two different Universes. I started a thread about long holds, links in my signature then the long hold group support took off from there.

I also started a thread with pictures of my improvements so far on page 2 and 4 while I'm still still tapering to prove its shit we don't heal as we taper here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=150506.0 And I also put a couple of wise quotes from you you clever woman of wisdom :thumbsup: From  across the forum on holding to heal then cut not cut hold a short time and cut while still suffering in the thread in my signature :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova!  We think so much alike and I love your new thread.  I also can't enjoy Alcohol any longer :'(      Vodka makes my tinnitus louder so I avoid it now. 

I was on an antidepressant regime called "California rocket fuel" (google it) and it worked great to lower the T but I quit about two weeks in as I thought it was just too addictive.  Now that the T is back I am thinking of going back on for life but it's a big choice when you start something that you know you will have to stick with forever.  Chemical dependency to any drug does not sit right with me now even if it works.  It's just more scary now after the benzo battle.

I found a route to beat the hyperacusis. Read my post from last night in the cold turkey forum.

The ear fullness is caused by a tensor tympani spasm

https://www.google.com/search?q=tensor+tympani+spasm

I had botox injection's in the eustachian tubes to make it stop (5 units Botox® in each tube)  It works great but takes 48 hours to really kick in.

It basically turns off the tensor tympani muscle and stops all the pressure, clicking and fluttering sounds and also stops all hyperacusis which is caused by the ear drum being pulled too tight from extreme tensor tympani muscle contraction of benzo w/d.  Does not help the tinnitus however.  That's a bit deeper in the brain in the DCN.

Drink a ton of water to flush potassium levels out of your body and keep your potassium intake lower. It helps to keep the

Endolymph potassium levels of the stria vascularis lower.  There are many drugs for meniere's disease that lower potassium levels in the Endolymph fluids.  Ototoxic reactions can happen if K levels are too high in the stria vascularis for too long!

Love Birdy  :smitten:

Hi Birdy  :hug: thanks for your replies, I'm sorry your not feeling too confident abut whether you feel you may need to medicate with prior drugs again  :hug:  I rate any and all input from you highly  :thumbsup: you are truly a gift to those of us who are auditory challenged  due to withdrawal  :D Also I don't believe that anyone's researched and experimented so much on their self on BB so selflessly when it comes to the ears department in order to help everyone :) I  spend a lot time reading up on your suggestions and I've read a LOT about Potassium and tinnitus and hyperacusis today, but its not a clear picture  for or against how much dietary Potassium may or may not prove detrimental or  beneficial from person to person.

It appears that Potassium intake actually helps a lot of people with tinnitus and hyperacusis  from the vast amount of personnel experiences of people across the web, and after checking out high and low potassium foods I eat a lot via fruit and veg as my diets good that way. I eat a lot of Bananas 4 or 5 a day and Avocado which it turns out is really high in potassium a few times a week along with fresh beets and lots of other good for you Organic foods.

This morning for the first time ever I went without eating a Banana amongst the fruit I eat with Buckwheat and raw milk for breakfast, and substituted an apple which is low potassium and actually felt worse  overall and noticed my T went very loud as wel. It could be good old fashioned coincidence but if it was it timed itself well :laugh: Here is another interesting thought I have as to this conclusion being reached I wonder if they actually get these results from All races across the spectrum.

Different aged groups right across, what were the numbers of people across the board, did they check the diets of each individual on a daily hourly basis? Where the test taken fasting or post eating? Do different blood groups play a part? In women where they pre or post Menopausal? Active inactive? How many actually had something like Addison's disease of the adrenals? How many where on medication at the time or previously? Life style?

It can go on ad infinitum  all the but was there any common or uncommon reason amongst them how man of each gender where tested etc, etc. I am very curious how they come up with these results not just whet they found why it was in the first place, and drugs are also know to be detrimental even more so form race to race. People of Asian Origin get only need a quarter of a dose of anti depressants benzos and other psych drugs  compared to other races to get the same results so its even more problematic to them.

Meanwhile back to Potassium and me ;) I eventually ate a Banana to see if it did anything either way and it actually lessened the out of control anxious feeling I had and made me feel it was easier to bear with the tinnitus, and also If I am finding it hard to go to sleep quite often a glass of raw milk and a couple of Bananas help. I believed it to be because of the tryptophan in both and milk is also high in potassium, and the list of potassium rich foods make up a lot of my diet as well.

But I do eat a greatly varied Organic everything from scratch cooked, and rink bottled spring water not tap water and cook and wash all my food in it as well. Its the same as people on here worried about Diazepam which I'm taking and cruciferous vegetables and the effect on metabolism of the Diazepam.

I eat a lot of  cruciferous vegetables and a person would need to eat 500 grams in a sitting unless they got liver problems before it did anything to the P450 enzymes  which they effect, and also from to individual individual within the same species it makes no difference at all unless its the afore mentioned liver disease or damage of some kind. And water I drink an awful lot of water as ell as pass a lot of water frequently ::) Here is a good noise channel on YouTube where I listened to different colour noises to see if any where helpful, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg9AX3Najn0RNExTUWHBr0Q

And found that Blue noise relaxed me and its juxtaposed to pink noise which is recommend for hyperacusis, just Pink noise was uncomfortable but 'Sweeping pink noise'' was okay but not as relaxing as Blue, and where as 'White noise' usually does this to me AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D..... :laugh:

This'' Celestial white noise''

Was relaxing earlier on played quietly through noise cancelling head phones, and another thing about Noise cancelling head phones. I was unable to listen to music for nearly a year using my normal stereo head phones or the speakers but found I could by accident from time to time with the noise cancelling head phones.  :)

The other thing about potassium being as my diet is quite high in it there are times when my ear problems get better and more bearable but right now their terrible again but I am under a lot of stress. And although I feel I am not coping to great at all I think I'm a tiny bit not as bad as I usually would be given the incidents that have been going on especially this week, it would push a non withdrawal person in to the stress zone, but what it has done is accelerate the ear and burning nerve pain to the high end again.  :'( 

I like that like to Celestial white noise thanks.  I downloaded it and burned it to my ipod and it's nice :D

Hi Nova,  From the time I started drinking 12 glasses of water a day and lowering my K it took about 4 weeks before I got any results.  Here is a good link on how K works https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endolymph

I still do not really know if the botox or the lower K or extra water brought me the extra relief.  Hard to really know.  One thing is for sure I have made so many new changes to my life and what I eat and how I eat.  I just wrote 10 lines but hit the delete key since it was sounding too much like a "WHO DONE IT" story :laugh:

Cruciferous vegetables are always good and tasty too.

In all my research I learned so many interesting things about Asian people. One thing is that they had dry ear wax and its flaky and their ears are kind of self cleaning.  Second is that they do not have under arm odor.  No shit!  Try to buy some under arm deodorant in Japan or Korea and you can't buy any.  They do not need it since they have different genes and no hormone ducts in those "smelly places" us westerners do :laugh:    I need to get a life and stop reading so much :laugh:

Love Birdy  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi all!

Just an update to my situation. Well, I saw my ENTs yesterday and my hearing came perfect again(thanks God) but he said "No need to hearing aids for you". I feel like I'm cursed with this tinnitus forever. Last night I realized that I also gained some pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear plus to my electrical storm tinnitus in my left ear and head. There is nothing I can do but just laugh at my miserable ears. It looks like I am hit in them so bad lol  :D

I wish you all a quick and complete healing

:smitten:

Hi all!

Just an update to my situation. Well, I saw my ENTs yesterday and my hearing came perfect again(thanks God) but he said "No need to hearing aids for you". I feel like I'm cursed with this tinnitus forever. Last night I realized that I also gained some pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear plus to my electrical storm tinnitus in my left ear and head. There is nothing I can do but just laugh at my miserable ears. It looks like I am hit in them so bad lol  :D

I wish you all a quick and complete healing

:smitten:

Hi BESte,  atleast youre benzo free already, you're just waiting to subside all your symptoms.  I feel miserable too with my ear and brain shaking and headache on the back of my ear couldn't pinpoint exactly the pain plus feeling unstable feels like i have vertigo because of T.

I'm still on tapering.  hope everyone here is healing very soon.

Regards, MCM

Hey Guys

Am I the only one whose ear drums moves when you are talking? It feels like someone touch your ear drum. I feel bass sound in it. Is it related to Tinnitus?

Hey Guys

Am I the only one whose ear drums moves when you are talking? It feels like someone touch your ear drum. I feel bass sound in it. Is it related to Tinnitus?

Beste, look up Spasms of the Ear Muscles I had that it was really weird like a thump thump but not in rhythm with your heart beat it`s most likely  http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/tensor%20tympani%20and%20stapedius%20myoclonus%20tinnitus.html

Hey Guys

Beste, look up Spasms of the Ear Muscles I had that it was really weird like a thump thump but not in rhythm with your heart beat it`s most likely  http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/tensor%20tympani%20and%20stapedius%20myoclonus%20tinnitus.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Botox that sucker  :D:laugh:

Oh yes.. I remember now that Birdman has said this to me when I sent a PM to her. Yes! That explains this strange sensation in my ears! But I really don't know if there is any doctor who does this injections.. Ah what a joy to live in Turkey, ha!  :crazy:

Thank you guys  :smitten:

Oh yes.. I remember now that Birdman has said this to me when I sent a PM to her. Yes! That explains this strange sensation in my ears! But I really don't know if there is any doctor who does this injections.. Ah what a joy to live in Turkey, ha!  :crazy:

Thank you guys  :smitten:

Very much welcome and will do all I can to help ya !

Welp, at almost 5 months, I'm blessed to have a lot of physical symptoms disappear. Seems the scariest are what's left, though.

I CT'd and my tinnitus has improved but I feel like it's plateud for a couple months now. And my hyperacusis is still going strong with only a few breaks. Anyone else with really bad ear/hearing issues?

Tinnitus - improved a bit

Hyperacousis - to the point where my ear drums retract even at my own voice

Pressure

Pressure "popping" in both ears every single time I swallow

Add me to the list.

Tinnitus was the first withdrawal symptom I had and is probably the one that causes me the most anxiety. Dentist drill sound, when it gets really loud it feels like it's moving around in my head and changing frequencies.

I'm really hoping once I'm completely free of benzos this will eventually go away or get better.

Add me to the list.

Tinnitus was the first withdrawal symptom I had and is probably the one that causes me the most anxiety. Dentist drill sound, when it gets really loud it feels like it's moving around in my head and changing frequencies.

I'm really hoping once I'm completely free of benzos this will eventually go away or get better.

How far into your recovery are you?

How far into your recovery are you?

After 2 months of mystifying neurological symptoms that no doctor can figure out, the math finally made sense to me just a few days ago. So, yesterday I did a big taper (I know, bad idea) from 2 to 1 mg ativan. The thing is I was only taking 2 mg for a week so 1 mg is tolerable so far today.

But yeah, I'm like 1 day into it. I quit for 7 days before but the doctor that was supposed to be helping me convinced me my symptoms were not benzo withdrawal. Now I'm sure and determined.

Welp, at almost 5 months, I'm blessed to have a lot of physical symptoms disappear. Seems the scariest are what's left, though.

I CT'd and my tinnitus has improved but I feel like it's plateud for a couple months now. And my hyperacusis is still going strong with only a few breaks. Anyone else with really bad ear/hearing issues?

Pressure

Hi illneverdothisagain  :hug: My hyperacusis is evil today :D I can't stand my voice the birds tweeting, my hair or clothing moving and my tinnitus is also  :D I'm under a LOT of stress so I believe that's pushed it all up to unbearable levels once again. It did ebb off after being really distressing for ages but my ears are on the march again, I also get the popping.

Ear pressure, ear pain, dentist drill in the brain, and a mix of different noises with the tinnitus and its as if there's a volume switch being pushed up and up. I also have bad sound distortion and get temporary deafness on and off, Inability to untangle peoples speech its like being in the room with Aliens and other ear problems  :(

Pressure

Pretty much the same. They are my only symptoms that stay with me but it is hard to say that I have seen any improvement. They got worse. I really don't know how it is possible for T to leave. I forgot the silence for the last 3 months.. I'm really pessimistic when it comes to T..

Tons of people have had it before and they are included in those who say they heal. That's what we have to keep in mind!

I've had T for about 9 months now, but the last few days I've experienced some weird stuff. My T has changed in pitch, new pitches have randomly come and gone even in the ear I don't have T in, and I've experienced weird spasms in the ear I have T. When the spasms have happened it's this crazy fast thumping noise almost like a muscle twitching extremely fast in my ear. I've never had anything like it before. Anyone else experience anything like this before?

I've had T for about 9 months now, but the last few days I've experienced some weird stuff. My T has changed in pitch, new pitches have randomly come and gone even in the ear I don't have T in, and I've experienced weird spasms in the ear I have T. When the spasms have happened it's this crazy fast thumping noise almost like a muscle twitching extremely fast in my ear. I've never had anything like it before. Anyone else experience anything like this before?

My T has gotten quieter to the point where I don't even hear it during the day anymore. Before it was like a siren. But yes - it changes pitches. It seems the change in pitches or tones are directly related to the pressure? Like I can feel and hear it changing. There's an adjustment like this once or twice a day. I'm hanging onto hope and faith - even this goes away for everyone who never had ear issues prior to benzos.

This morning I woke up to another new tone! It is in my right ear and sound like siren. I have at least 4 different sounds now. It is crazy! I think it is due to Remeron. I need to cut that shit out.

I tried Remeron for about 10 days and it sent my tinnitus spiking. It got quieter once I dropped Remeron

I tried Remeron for about 10 days and it sent my tinnitus spiking. It got quieter once I dropped Remeron

Oh no.. I've used this for 3 months now and I really don't know if I'm addicted to it. I'm really afraid of getting much worse tinnitus from its w/d.

Oh no.. I've used this for 3 months now and I really don't know if I'm addicted to it. I'm really afraid of getting much worse tinnitus from its w/d

Won't it be wonderful to reach a day when we won't have to think if something is caused by benzos?  I am so tired of tapering the different meds, much less benzos.

Hi all

It's me again. Well, it has been 4 1/2 months and no improvement yet. So I'm just trying to cope with it.

At this point can I ask when did you exactly habituate your tinnitus?

• 2 weeks later...

My T changes pitch  and gets louder on both sides when other symptoms like metallic taste and peripheral tingling in foot.

As those symptoms subside,Tinnitus does ,too

To the point it's only on the right side and it is no longer annoying.

I have had it before benzo,from confirmed hearing loss from loud high pitch noises.

I can't say it will go away but it is no longer as constant as it was 14 mo ago.

I made a post at 5months off when i first felt a change got some relief from tinnitus , i will find it

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=138482.msg1883115#msg1883115