Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Beste, it may not be all withdrawl just that the benzo w/d makes anything you have going on worse try your best to hang in there and ask me anything as I am glad to help you !

So maybe I have tinnitus already before but never recognized ot because it was very mild? And benzos made it worse?

Beste, yes I had TT while taking k but was not as bad as now . Yours should calm down with time so stay positive you will get use to it mine is bad but I was not thinking about it till I went to type this just now ! ;)

Beste, yes I had TT while taking k but was not as bad as now . Yours should calm down with time so stay positive you will get use to it mine is bad but I was not thinking about it till I went to type this just now ! ;)

That's the spirit, CD! Ignore it, or go back out on the lake!

My T is less, but wavers, for what that's worth.

Bennie

Mine wavers also.  Yesterday screaming today lower.  who knows why.  Just llike the burning, one day bad next day might be tolerable.  I hate this.

Acute WD is one kind of a hell! I don't feel like me. I keep reading success stories of people who got healed from this symptom. But it does look rare. I hope we all be good.

I'm planning to take Gingko Biloba. Is it okay to take supplement in c/t w/d? I'm currently taking Remeron.

Mine wavers also.  Yesterday screaming today lower.  who knows why.  Just llike the burning, one day bad next day might be tolerable.  I hate this.

Hi FM  :hug: Mine is the same its been really screeching the last 3 days but its been this bad then better a few times along with the hyperacusis, the tinnitus has a knock on effect on the hyperacusis then other stuff goes up as you said    :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Beste,

My T came on in almost the exact same way.  It was my only specific symptom, it came on weeks after rapidly tapering off clonazepam, was only in my left ear at first, but then became noticeable (although never quite as bad) in my right ear. 

I think in my case, I probably already had some slight hearing loss, which the clonazepam w/d turned into tinnitus. 

The following excerpt from Chapter III of the Aston manual is what lead me to this conclusion:

"One of the most distressing sensory symptoms is tinnitus, a constant ringing or hissing in the ears which has been noted in several studies of benzodiazepine withdrawal. One lady described her tinnitus as a "needle of sound" piercing deep inside her head. Tinnitus is often associated with a degree of hearing loss and is not uncommon in people with partial nerve deafness who have never taken benzodiazepines. Nevertheless, it often makes its first appearance during benzodiazepine withdrawal in people who have had hearing loss for years. Also, it may be unilateral or precisely localised, even in those with symmetrical bilateral hearing loss. Whether people who have taken long-term benzodiazepines are particularly prone to tinnitus and if so why, is not known. It can persist for years and does not always respond to the usual treatments for tinnitus (maskers, etc); nor is it always relieved by restarting benzodiazepines."

I first noticed my low level T when I was in tolerance and didn't know it.  Thought it was the cable box buzzing but no one else could hear it.  Luckily mine isn't too bad most of the time but sometimes it will scream.  It is more like a hissing electrical hum in both ears.  Sometimes I will get a loud boom in my ears, usually at night while trying to go to sleep, anyone get this.  Loudness bothers me a little but is not unbearable thank God.  Wonder what that boom is? Anyone know.  Thanks and hope as I go lower the T will let up also. I am holding right now for other bad s/x's.  Good luck everyone.  Hope your T gets better.

I first noticed my low level T when I was in tolerance and didn't know it.  Thought it was the cable box buzzing but no one else could hear it.  Luckily mine isn't too bad most of the time but sometimes it will scream.  It is more like a hissing electrical hum in both ears.  Sometimes I will get a loud boom in my ears, usually at night while trying to go to sleep, anyone get this.  Loudness bothers me a little but is not unbearable thank God.  Wonder what that boom is? Anyone know.  Thanks and hope as I go lower the T will let up also. I am holding right now for other bad s/x's.  Good luck everyone.  Hope your T gets better.

Hi FM  :hug: I have it its the ear drum ( Tympanic membrane)  where everything is hyper sensitive, I had it very severely night and day but recently its better as its not so frequent but it does have its moments but nothing like it was. I couldn't type as my fingers hitting the keys made it worse and I could hear my body muscles moving in my ear that also sounds like a boom or car doors slamming really hard.

I stopped wearing ear plugs as I wore them day and night as that made matters worse as the ears become even more sensitised to sound. A couple of nights ago I wore just the one in bed as I lay on my side, the ambient noises were keeping me awake, and that's the first time in about three months I've had to do that as the noise levels were loud. It will heal eventually  :)

Thanks Nova, so weird to get that boom out of nowhere.  I do hope my burning goes away, that is the awful one, I can mostly ddeal with the T. 

I remember while tapering, and maybe for some time after jumping, sometimes being awakened just as I was falling asleep by a perceived loud sound (as if someone slammed a door).  It hasn't happened in a long time, which is a very good thing, since falling asleep isn't always easy for me. I don't think what I'm talking about is as bad as what Nova described (although I have a touch of that too and it is dreadful).  I think this perceived sudden loud sound was just something to do with the body relaxing after being overly keyed up.  Long before benzos, I remember occasionally being awakened in a similar way by what I perceived as a bright flash of light, usually accompanied by a sudden, brief sort of sizzling sound.  I think that flash of light is just a manifestation of the same kind of thing as the loud sound, at least for me. 

I hope the sound goes away for you and doesn't bother you too much until it disappears.

Hey guys

Is there anyone wearing hearing aids? I'm considering getting a pair but really scared if this make it worse. Any idea what should be done?

I have them. My original audiologist and even my ear doctor told me hearing aids are supposed to help tinnitus because the tinnitus frequencies typically match the hearing loss. So if you put in aids and are able to hear the normal external sounds on those frequencies, then you don't hear the tinnitus produced by your brain. Unfortunately for me, my tinnitus is very reactive to external sounds (I have hyperacusis too). So if I put my aids in, I hear more, but my tinnitus goes up too, so I can't wear them very long. So it can go either way. Audiologists will usually let you give hearing aids a trial run for a few weeks before commiting to buying them, so I suggest doing that and see if it benefits you or not.

Beste,

I copied this for you from the begining of the thread.  Hope you find it interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Birdman

Buddie

Happiness is finding people to enjoy it with you

View Profile

Personal Message (Offline)

Re: TENACIOUS TINNITUS CLUB - Ear pressure & noise and hyperacusis

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2014, 06:50:16 pm »

SOMETHING NEW!!  T RELIEF!

Bone Conduction head phones!  You can crank these up and they cannot damage your hearing since they vibrate your ear-bones so there is not real sound. The vibration goes right into your head.  After 30 minutes of listening to music my T is almost down 90%  - It comes back in 20 minutes but not as bad.  GREAT if you need a break from the T.

If Tinnitus is driving you Nuts I recommend these for relief, they actually calm me the second I put them on, like my tension is butter and these are the hot knife :) Cuts right through it 8)  Highly recommended ;D

I LOVE THEM!! I'd wear them 24/7 while healing if I could.  Many brands available, Google search for "Bone Conduction head phones"

See youtube reviews 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IIM7GjFxQ

HEAL AND BE WELL ALL  :angel:

Bird  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I copied the whole message.

Patti

Grapejuice

Thank you for the answer. I'm also so sorry for they are not working for you. I hope you will find some relief soon  :)

Patti

Thank you so much. I completely forgot about them. I can give them a try  :smitten:

Hi all

Is there anyone tried Memantine to reduces glutamate levels?

Memantine only works at very high levels.  I do not want to get into dosing levels here on this thread but they have to be "that high"

Problem #1.  Memantine is habit forming.  Catch 22.

Probably be better off using a low level of long acting benzo and taper again.  I reinstated 5 times and retapered.    All where good moves for me.  The root of the problem is NOT that I reinstated (lower levels each time) so many times but the root of the problem is that I jumped too early 5 times.  I think the pressure to "JUMP" made me do stupid things.  So I f__ked up,  try try again works too.

If I could do it all over again I'd draw up a 5 year long taper plan and stop stressing about jumping.  Jumping does not = healing.  Heal first, jump after.  Now that's a good taper strategy.  Water micro tapers are the best thing at the end of a long taper macro taper schedule.

Hi all

Memantine only works at very high levels.  I do not want to get into dosing levels here on this thread but they have to be "that high"

Probably be better off using a low level of long acting benzo and taper again.  I reinstated 5 times and retapered.    All where good moves for me.  The root of the problem is NOT that I reinstated (lower levels each time) so many times but the root of the problem is that I jumped too early 5 times. I think the pressure to "JUMP" made me do stupid things.  So I f__ked up,  try try again works too.

If I could do it all over again I'd draw up a 5 year long taper plan and stop stressing about jumping.  Jumping does not = healing.  Heal first, jump after.  Now that's a good taper strategy.  Water micro tapers are the best thing at the end of a long taper macro taper schedule.

Hi Birdie  :hug: how are you doing? Still good I hope :) Yeah the above statement is what got me in to trouble the 'myth' that you don't heal until your off yadda. yadda.yadda ::) Tapering down to fast is also what wreaked my ears amongst other things but the load of  ear problems are the worst  :D I thought a few times about up-dosing but a couple of accidental small ones made me feel awful.

But I did wonder if I had purposely up-dosed by at least 1 mg or 2 would it have been a help as the two small mistakes took at least a week to settle down. Anyway what I am doing is going 'sideways'' holding where I am for as long as it takes, as since I hit 4mg it all went  from really down hill to extra super down hill where especially all the ear problems I accumulated.

But the worse two ear stuff is the tenacious tinnitus and the hyperacusis  :D That shit disables me more than the severe burning nerve pain an other physical sxs Its taken me a year to get rid of a tiny 8mls from 200mls of plain water by putting 2mg pill out of the four liquid with water Milk made me feel terrible on day one and Alcohol, :D

My CNS is so messed up that 3mls of vodka in 200mls of water actually burned d all the way around my brain and made me feel like I was half pissed for 4 hours then hell broke loose :o And I could tase that tiny bit like it was a glass of vodka not seriously diluted, and man!! I thought Alcohol was the 'Fifth element'' before all this crap and could drink big amounts still be cool and no hang over. I can't stand the smell now, so I'm now coming up Monday 10 weeks in to at least 6 months holding at just under 4mg and I also reckon that 5 year's the minimum to get the hell off this crap totally from my current dose.

I don't give a shit about the Pharmacological point of view about in 8 weeks blood levels of Diazepam are non existent so what? The Neurological damage and the shock My poor CNS is in from cutting too fast at the start are two different Universes. I started a thread about long holds, links in my signature then the long hold group support took off from there.

I also started a thread with pictures of my improvements so far on page 2 and 4 while I'm still still tapering to prove its shit we don't heal as we taper here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=150506.0 And I also put a couple of wise quotes from you you clever woman of wisdom :thumbsup: From  across the forum on holding to heal then cut not cut hold a short time and cut while still suffering in the thread in my signature :)

Well, all of those informations are amazing and of course something that my freaking doctor is unaware of but I think I'm bit of confused. Since I'm in my 3rd month of c/t, reinstating may end this tinnitus? This is my only symptom and of course it is already enough to drive someone crazzyy.

Hey guys

Is there anyone wearing hearing aids? I'm considering getting a pair but really scared if this make it worse. Any idea what should be done?

I wear a pair of Starkey 110's and love them.  They also have blue tooth so I listen to all kinds of masking sound tracks all day long from my Ipod 5th gen.  Crickets are my favorite sound track since I miss them on a silent night.

Hi all

Probably be better off using a low level of long acting benzo and taper again.  I reinstated 5 times and retapered.    All where good moves for me.  The root of the problem is NOT that I reinstated (lower levels each time) so many times but the root of the problem is that I jumped too early 5 times. I think the pressure to "JUMP" made me do stupid things.  So I f__ked up,  try try again works too.

Hi Birdie  :hug: how are you doing? Still good I hope :) Yeah the above statement is what got me in to trouble the 'myth' that you don't heal until your off yadda. yadda.yadda ::) Tapering down to fast is also what wreaked my ears amongst other things but the load of  ear problems are the worst  :D I thought a few times about up-dosing but a couple of accidental small ones made me feel awful.

But I did wonder if I had purposely up-dosed by at least 1 mg or 2 would it have been a help as the two small mistakes took at least a week to settle down. Anyway what I am doing is going 'sideways'' holding where I am for as long as it takes, as since I hit 4mg it all went  from really down hill to extra super down hill where especially all the ear problems I accumulated.

But the worse two ear stuff is the tenacious tinnitus and the hyperacusis  :D That shit disables me more than the severe burning nerve pain an other physical sxs Its taken me a year to get rid of a tiny 8mls from 200mls of plain water by putting 2mg pill out of the four liquid with water Milk made me feel terrible on day one and Alcohol, :D

My CNS is so messed up that 3mls of vodka in 200mls of water actually burned d all the way around my brain and made me feel like I was half pissed for 4 hours then hell broke loose :o And I could tase that tiny bit like it was a glass of vodka not seriously diluted, and man!! I thought Alcohol was the 'Fifth element'' before all this crap and could drink big amounts still be cool and no hang over. I can't stand the smell now, so I'm now coming up Monday 10 weeks in to at least 6 months holding at just under 4mg and I also reckon that 5 year's the minimum to get the hell off this crap totally from my current dose.

I don't give a shit about the Pharmacological point of view about in 8 weeks blood levels of Diazepam are non existent so what? The Neurological damage and the shock My poor CNS is in from cutting too fast at the start are two different Universes. I started a thread about long holds, links in my signature then the long hold group support took off from there.

I also started a thread with pictures of my improvements so far on page 2 and 4 while I'm still still tapering to prove its shit we don't heal as we taper here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=150506.0 And I also put a couple of wise quotes from you you clever woman of wisdom :thumbsup: From  across the forum on holding to heal then cut not cut hold a short time and cut while still suffering in the thread in my signature :)

Hi Nova!  We think so much alike and I love your new thread.  I also can't enjoy Alcohol any longer :'(      Vodka makes my tinnitus louder so I avoid it now. 

I was on an antidepressant regime called "California rocket fuel" (google it) and it worked great to lower the T but I quit about two weeks in as I thought it was just too addictive.  Now that the T is back I am thinking of going back on for life but it's a big choice when you start something that you know you will have to stick with forever.  Chemical dependency to any drug does not sit right with me now even if it works.  It's just more scary now after the benzo battle.

I found a route to beat the hyperacusis. Read my post from last night in the cold turkey forum.

The ear fullness is caused by a tensor tympani spasm

https://www.google.com/search?q=tensor+tympani+spasm

I had botox injection's in the eustachian tubes to make it stop (5 units Botox® in each tube)  It works great but takes 48 hours to really kick in.

It basically turns off the tensor tympani muscle and stops all the pressure, clicking and fluttering sounds and also stops all hyperacusis which is caused by the ear drum being pulled too tight from extreme tensor tympani muscle contraction of benzo w/d.  Does not help the tinnitus however.  That's a bit deeper in the brain in the DCN.

Drink a ton of water to flush potassium levels out of your body and keep your potassium intake lower. It helps to keep the

Endolymph potassium levels of the stria vascularis lower.  There are many drugs for meniere's disease that lower potassium levels in the Endolymph fluids.  Ototoxic reactions can happen if K levels are too high in the stria vascularis for too long!

Love Birdy  :smitten:

Hey guys

I wear a pair of Starkey 110's and love them.  They also have blue tooth so I listen to all kinds of masking sound tracks all day long from my Ipod 5th gen.  Crickets are my favorite sound track since I miss them on a silent night.

Thank you Birdy

I'll talk about it this Monday with my doctor  :thumbsup:

Hi all

Hi Nova!  We think so much alike and I love your new thread.  I also can't enjoy Alcohol any longer :'(      Vodka makes my tinnitus louder so I avoid it now. 

I was on an antidepressant regime called "California rocket fuel" (google it) and it worked great to lower the T but I quit about two weeks in as I thought it was just too addictive.  Now that the T is back I am thinking of going back on for life but it's a big choice when you start something that you know you will have to stick with forever.  Chemical dependency to any drug does not sit right with me now even if it works.  It's just more scary now after the benzo battle.

I found a route to beat the hyperacusis. Read my post from last night in the cold turkey forum.

The ear fullness is caused by a tensor tympani spasm

https://www.google.com/search?q=tensor+tympani+spasm

I had botox injection's in the eustachian tubes to make it stop (5 units Botox® in each tube)  It works great but takes 48 hours to really kick in.

It basically turns off the tensor tympani muscle and stops all the pressure, clicking and fluttering sounds and also stops all hyperacusis which is caused by the ear drum being pulled too tight from extreme tensor tympani muscle contraction of benzo w/d.  Does not help the tinnitus however.  That's a bit deeper in the brain in the DCN.

Drink a ton of water to flush potassium levels out of your body and keep your potassium intake lower. It helps to keep the

Endolymph potassium levels of the stria vascularis lower.  There are many drugs for meniere's disease that lower potassium levels in the Endolymph fluids.  Ototoxic reactions can happen if K levels are too high in the stria vascularis for too long!

Love Birdy  :smitten:

Hi Birdy  :hug: thanks for your replies, I'm sorry your not feeling too confident abut whether you feel you may need to medicate with prior drugs again  :hug:  I rate any and all input from you highly  :thumbsup: you are truly a gift to those of us who are auditory challenged  due to withdrawal  :D Also I don't believe that anyone's researched and experimented so much on their self on BB so selflessly when it comes to the ears department in order to help everyone :) I  spend a lot time reading up on your suggestions and I've read a LOT about Potassium and tinnitus and hyperacusis today, but its not a clear picture  for or against how much dietary Potassium may or may not prove detrimental or  beneficial from person to person.

It appears that Potassium intake actually helps a lot of people with tinnitus and hyperacusis  from the vast amount of personnel experiences of people across the web, and after checking out high and low potassium foods I eat a lot via fruit and veg as my diets good that way. I eat a lot of Bananas 4 or 5 a day and Avocado which it turns out is really high in potassium a few times a week along with fresh beets and lots of other good for you Organic foods.

This morning for the first time ever I went without eating a Banana amongst the fruit I eat with Buckwheat and raw milk for breakfast, and substituted an apple which is low potassium and actually felt worse  overall and noticed my T went very loud as wel. It could be good old fashioned coincidence but if it was it timed itself well :laugh: Here is another interesting thought I have as to this conclusion being reached I wonder if they actually get these results from All races across the spectrum.

Different aged groups right across, what were the numbers of people across the board, did they check the diets of each individual on a daily hourly basis? Where the test taken fasting or post eating? Do different blood groups play a part? In women where they pre or post Menopausal? Active inactive? How many actually had something like Addison's disease of the adrenals? How many where on medication at the time or previously? Life style?

It can go on ad infinitum  all the but was there any common or uncommon reason amongst them how man of each gender where tested etc, etc. I am very curious how they come up with these results not just whet they found why it was in the first place, and drugs are also know to be detrimental even more so form race to race. People of Asian Origin get only need a quarter of a dose of anti depressants benzos and other psych drugs  compared to other races to get the same results so its even more problematic to them.

Meanwhile back to Potassium and me ;) I eventually ate a Banana to see if it did anything either way and it actually lessened the out of control anxious feeling I had and made me feel it was easier to bear with the tinnitus, and also If I am finding it hard to go to sleep quite often a glass of raw milk and a couple of Bananas help. I believed it to be because of the tryptophan in both and milk is also high in potassium, and the list of potassium rich foods make up a lot of my diet as well.

But I do eat a greatly varied Organic everything from scratch cooked, and rink bottled spring water not tap water and cook and wash all my food in it as well. Its the same as people on here worried about Diazepam which I'm taking and cruciferous vegetables and the effect on metabolism of the Diazepam.

I eat a lot of  cruciferous vegetables and a person would need to eat 500 grams in a sitting unless they got liver problems before it did anything to the P450 enzymes  which they effect, and also from to individual individual within the same species it makes no difference at all unless its the afore mentioned liver disease or damage of some kind. And water I drink an awful lot of water as ell as pass a lot of water frequently ::) Here is a good noise channel on YouTube where I listened to different colour noises to see if any where helpful, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg9AX3Najn0RNExTUWHBr0Q

And found that Blue noise relaxed me and its juxtaposed to pink noise which is recommend for hyperacusis, just Pink noise was uncomfortable but 'Sweeping pink noise'' was okay but not as relaxing as Blue, and where as 'White noise' usually does this to me AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D..... :laugh:

This'' Celestial white noise''

Was relaxing earlier on played quietly through noise cancelling head phones, and another thing about Noise cancelling head phones. I was unable to listen to music for nearly a year using my normal stereo head phones or the speakers but found I could by accident from time to time with the noise cancelling head phones.  :)

The other thing about potassium being as my diet is quite high in it there are times when my ear problems get better and more bearable but right now their terrible again but I am under a lot of stress. And although I feel I am not coping to great at all I think I'm a tiny bit not as bad as I usually would be given the incidents that have been going on especially this week, it would push a non withdrawal person in to the stress zone, but what it has done is accelerate the ear and burning nerve pain to the high end again.  :'(