Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Well, guys - nothing is 100% yet, but the hyperacusis is gone most of the time now. I can actually talk without my ear drums retracting! My T is also at an all-time low, only noticeable at night.

Keep on keeping on! It gets better!

Well, guys - nothing is 100% yet, but the hyperacusis is gone most of the time now. I can actually talk without my ear drums retracting! My T is also at an all-time low, only noticeable at night.

Keep on keeping on! It gets better!

So happy for you! I think this is a great sign that it will completely subside one day right!  :)

I wish I could say the same thing for my case. It will be 5 months tomorrow since I went c/t from clonazepam. My T is all but destroyed my life.

Hey Folks

I am new on here and wanted to share my ear symptoms as I am not sure whats going on.

I have an electrical hiss in my left ear thats quiet in the morning and loud by nighttime usually. If i push my chin to the left it gets softer almost gone and as i let go it comes back.

Weirdest symptom is my left ear also feels like my eustation tube is opening too easy and when i open my mouth i feel my ear swooshing and hear like a cracking grinding noise. If i hold my nose and blow to clear my ears my left ear clears way easy and feels like it doesn't close right away. sound sensitivity seem to be mostly in this ear. not sure if this somehow is permanent damage.

I get ringing in both ears that comes and goes and this seems to be getting better and seperate form the hiss. it usually masks the hiss when its loud.

I am a sound engineer so this has really hit me hard emotionally. Ear problems are really frustrating.

Wishing everyone quick healing.

Marct456

Hi there

A warm welcome to BB!

I have been dealing ear symptoms for the last 4 months. I went c/t from clonazepam and developed mild T in the left ear when I was 6 weeks off.

I have ear crackling, ear fluttering, some pulsatile T and buzzing all over my head. My T was used to be mild and it used to be seemed like it was gone in the morning. But it gradually got worse. Now I have electrical buzzing and hissing inside of my head. I don't know why it got worse but luckly I have no other symtoms other than ear symptoms.

Do you have any hearing loss?

I dont have any hearing loss thank god i went to several ENT's and they cant find anything wrong. I got some really loud bouts of tinnitus in the last several months but they always seem to quiet down eventually. I had loud T during the first several months though so i am sure yours will improve. This type of tinnitus is not the permanent kind.

My eustation tube issue is weird though feels like if i have water sometimes in the ear but i dont and it will go away.

My tinnitus starts one year ago and these was the first symptom during these nightmare, right now I have the tinnitus which comes and goes, my left ear has like clogged or blocked, I have to open my mouth many times on a way to let the air passes, and then the blocked comes again, I have being doing these as much that some times I have jaw pain.

I have 2 earing studies which shows that I don't have ear losing, but some times I feel that Im not lisening well enough on my left ear.

the studies where done, one year ago the first, and on february of these year the second

Hey marct,

From what I've heard, there is similarity but also a good deal of variety when it comes to ear symptoms. My T started a little over 2 years ago, a few weeks after a rapid taper off 1mg clonazepam I had been taking daily for about 4 months. In my case it has been constant since onset, but is usually softer in the early morning and late evening. The hyperacusis / ear tensing, which was quite problematic for a time, still comes and goes. The worst ear symptom for me is a blocked / dead sensation, which sometimes lasts for days and is usually accompanied by increased hyperacusis / ear tensing (a double-whammy). I have been benzo free for 17 months, but have heard of cases where it took 2 - 3 years for symptoms to dissipate, so I remain hopeful. Despite the ear symptoms still being with me, I am doing orders of magnitude better than I was the first several months after it all started and am sure you will too.  In the beginning, I could barely function due to anxiety over the ear symptoms; now close to baseline, except for the ear symptoms themselves. Best of luck -- to all of us.

Hey Multiflux

Sorry to hear your still getting those symptoms but i am very hopeful it will get better for us with time. I am still getting massive chemical anxiety which honestly has gotten so bad i don't even care about the ear symptoms at the moment. But i know with time ill return to baseline as well and i will have to work on my ear symptoms. I pray that it will go away soon as i'm a sound engineer so i have not been able to work and hope i don't loose my career. Staying hopeful though.

I do have a very od thing with my T. If i touch my chin on the right side with my fingers and press a little it stops completely, once i let go it comes back right away. So i have a magic switch to turn it off lol. i notice it also does get louder during the day as well.

Blessings & Healing

Regards

Marc

Hi all

Today I realized that my tinnitus is not in my ears anymore. It is more like a buzzing sound inside of my head. I have a little bit of sizling in my left ear but it is nothing bothersome actually. Do you guys have it the same way as me? The buzzing sound os something really keeps me awake at night.

Hi all

Today I realized that my tinnitus is not in my ears anymore. It is more like a buzzing sound inside of my head. I have a little bit of sizling in my left ear but it is nothing bothersome actually. Do you guys have it the same way as me? The buzzing sound os something really keeps me awake at night.

hi Beste, I think I have the same symptoms in my ear it seems like full of air but it seems like from my head on the back of my ear the sound is annoying but trying to ignore, hope it will calm soon and be healed ASAP coz I'm still tapering.  Regards to all, mcm

Hey Multiflux

Sorry to hear your still getting those symptoms but i am very hopeful it will get better for us with time. I am still getting massive chemical anxiety which honestly has gotten so bad i don't even care about the ear symptoms at the moment. But i know with time ill return to baseline as well and i will have to work on my ear symptoms. I pray that it will go away soon as i'm a sound engineer so i have not been able to work and hope i don't loose my career. Staying hopeful though.

I do have a very od thing with my T. If i touch my chin on the right side with my fingers and press a little it stops completely, once i let go it comes back right away. So i have a magic switch to turn it off lol. i notice it also does get louder during the day as well.

Blessings & Healing

Regards

Marc

Hey Marc,

A lot of people with Tinnitus experience a change when the jaw is involved.  Meaning change of movement in the jaw, pressing on certain points near the jaw, etc.

One of the treatments recommended to help is to go to a massage therapist who will work on the neck and jaw area.  I recently went to an ENT in part for my Tinnitus and he told me it was part of hearing loss (mild), which I'm not sure if I buy as I hear fine.  My hearing of clarity was perfect but pitch showed some loss.  Anyway, he told me medical conditions/medications can exacerbate symptoms as can jaw issues.  I feel this explains a lot here for us!  A lot of us are teeth/ jaw clenched due to w/d and anxiety issues.  Also, a lot of us have medical issues. 

Anyway, these jaw related symptoms, which it sounds like you have, can be helped by a massage therapist.  That's what I was told to do!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Tractor-man has stroke which ends his 40 year tinnitus nightmare

Tinnitus is often blamed on the DCN (dorsal cochlear nucleus) misfiring but what if it's the caudate and putamen in the brain that is to blame?

Read this story-

"As a young man, Lowry spent a summer working on a farm with a noisy tractor. The experience left him with partial hearing loss and a high-pitched ringing in his ears that plagued him for 40 years. Then at age 63, Lowry suffered a mild stroke. A CT scan and an MRI revealed that the stroke had damaged his caudate and putamen. But the stroke also brought a pleasant surprise. Lowry was completely cured of his tinnitus, without any further hearing loss"

ref: http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/26-ringing-in-the-ears-goes-much-deeper

Steven Cheung and Paul Larson, two doctors at the University of California, San Francisco, set out to reproduce Lowry’s experience. They took advantage of the fact that some people with Parkinson’s disease get electrodes surgically implanted in their brain stem to control their symptoms. The electrodes typically have to pass the caudate and putamen to reach their target. Cheung and Larson engaged five patients preparing to receive an implant who also suffered from tinnitus. The patients agreed to undergo several minutes of deep brain stimulation to these regions during surgery as the electrode was being implanted. Cheung and Larson reported that the tinnitus became much fainter in four of the five patients.

Once signals travel from the ear to the auditory cortex, caudate, and putamen, they eventually make their way to regions of the brain that carry out more sophisticated sound information processing: connecting the sounds with memories, interpreting their meaning, giving them emotional significance. It is precisely these regions that Schlee and his colleagues noted were behaving strangely in people with tinnitus. He argues that it is only when signals reach this large-scale network that we become conscious of sounds, and it is only at this stage that tinnitus starts to cause people real torment. Schlee’s results suggest that the higher regions of the brain send their own feedback to the auditory cortex, amplifying its false signals. Schlee’s model of tinnitus and consciousness could explain some curious observations. Even in bad cases of tinnitus, people can become unaware of the phantom sound if they are distracted. It may be that distractions deprive the errant signals from the auditory cortex of the attention they need to cause real distress. What’s more, some of the most effective treatments for tinnitus appear to work by altering the behavior of the front of the brain. Counseling, for example, can make people better aware of the sounds they experience by explaining the brain process that may underlie the disorder, so they can consciously reduce their distress.

Solving the mystery of tinnitus will probably get even more urgent in years to come. Traffic, iPods, and other features of modern life may cause more hearing damage, hence more tinnitus. But if a real cure ever comes, it will probably not be a single silver bullet. It will instead attack the tinnitus network from top-down and bottom-up.

Tinnitus is often blamed on the DCN (dorsal cochlear nucleus) misfiring but what if it's the caudate and putamen in the brain that is to blame?

Read this story-

"As a young man, Lowry spent a summer working on a farm with a noisy tractor. The experience left him with partial hearing loss and a high-pitched ringing in his ears that plagued him for 40 years. Then at age 63, Lowry suffered a mild stroke. A CT scan and an MRI revealed that the stroke had damaged his caudate and putamen. But the stroke also brought a pleasant surprise. Lowry was completely cured of his tinnitus, without any further hearing loss"

ref: http://discovermagazine.com/2010/oct/26-ringing-in-the-ears-goes-much-deeper

Steven Cheung and Paul Larson, two doctors at the University of California, San Francisco, set out to reproduce Lowry’s experience. They took advantage of the fact that some people with Parkinson’s disease get electrodes surgically implanted in their brain stem to control their symptoms. The electrodes typically have to pass the caudate and putamen to reach their target. Cheung and Larson engaged five patients preparing to receive an implant who also suffered from tinnitus. The patients agreed to undergo several minutes of deep brain stimulation to these regions during surgery as the electrode was being implanted. Cheung and Larson reported that the tinnitus became much fainter in four of the five patients.

Once signals travel from the ear to the auditory cortex, caudate, and putamen, they eventually make their way to regions of the brain that carry out more sophisticated sound information processing: connecting the sounds with memories, interpreting their meaning, giving them emotional significance. It is precisely these regions that Schlee and his colleagues noted were behaving strangely in people with tinnitus. He argues that it is only when signals reach this large-scale network that we become conscious of sounds, and it is only at this stage that tinnitus starts to cause people real torment. Schlee’s results suggest that the higher regions of the brain send their own feedback to the auditory cortex, amplifying its false signals. Schlee’s model of tinnitus and consciousness could explain some curious observations. Even in bad cases of tinnitus, people can become unaware of the phantom sound if they are distracted. It may be that distractions deprive the errant signals from the auditory cortex of the attention they need to cause real distress. What’s more, some of the most effective treatments for tinnitus appear to work by altering the behavior of the front of the brain. Counseling, for example, can make people better aware of the sounds they experience by explaining the brain process that may underlie the disorder, so they can consciously reduce their distress.

Solving the mystery of tinnitus will probably get even more urgent in years to come. Traffic, iPods, and other features of modern life may cause more hearing damage, hence more tinnitus. But if a real cure ever comes, it will probably not be a single silver bullet. It will instead attack the tinnitus network from top-down and bottom-up.

Hi Birdy  :hug: How are you doing these days? Any better or worse? the former I hope :hug: Thanks for the above article, I noticed a few times when I've been distracted my T was unnoticeable, and on the 29th of may when I had a window for a few hours the Tinnitus and the hyperacusis went completely!!  ;D I was out walking which I can't do now as I've become severely exercise intolerant once again. ::) And the T and H where playing up when I first left home but a short while in to the walk they both stopped completely. I could for the first time in I can't remember how long hear ''silence'' absolute silence talk about a revelation  But after that everything has become severe again, it was like a veil was lifted for a short while then a shutter came down hard, now I'm back in agony physically and psychologically.  :(

I am also 4 and a half months in to a long hold where I'm aiming for 6 months then re-evaluate the hold situation to see  if I carry on holding for even longer or cut again and continue with my micro taper. Originally I was going for 3 months then evaluate but have had a bucket load of shit stress from week 10 onwards so then decided as I was so symptomatic to hold for 6 months. I was just beginning to feel I was getting over the hump at week 10 before all the ongoing stress kicked off, but life throws stress at us anyway whether its expected or not. And it may have been even without the stress I was heading back into a bad wave anyway as healing/ holding isn't linear either, but I do get the do get occasional okay  hour/hours and the odd okay day.

And I also know that at 6 months I may still have a way to go from there before there's any great turn around in symptoms and need to keep holding until when ever anyway. As right now even my skin is breaking out in all sorts of lesions boils and rashes as well but that's the poison coming from the inside out no doubt. So right now everything is pretty severe, but look what happened on the 29th of may from hell to heaven in a nano second? Talk about non linear and unpredictable, that day for a few hours  was where I want to be when this is all over, walking in the perfection I came here to be it was total bliss :)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Read this story-

Hi Birdy  :hug: How are you doing these days? Any better or worse? the former I hope :hug: Thanks for the above article, I noticed a few times when I've been distracted my T was unnoticeable, and on the 29th of may when I had a window for a few hours the Tinnitus and the hyperacusis went completely!!  ;D I was out walking which I can't do now as I've become severely exercise intolerant once again. ::) And the T and H where playing up when I first left home but a short while in to the walk they both stopped completely. I could for the first time in I can't remember how long hear ''silence'' absolute silence talk about a revelation  But after that everything has become severe again, it was like a veil was lifted for a short while then a shutter came down hard, now I'm back in agony physically and psychologically.  :(

I am also 4 and a half months in to a long hold where I'm aiming for 6 months then re-evaluate the hold situation to see  if I carry on holding for even longer or cut again and continue with my micro taper. Originally I was going for 3 months then evaluate but have had a bucket load of shit stress from week 10 onwards so then decided as I was so symptomatic to hold for 6 months. I was just beginning to feel I was getting over the hump at week 10 before all the ongoing stress kicked off, but life throws stress at us anyway whether its expected or not. And it may have been even without the stress I was heading back into a bad wave anyway as healing/ holding isn't linear either, but I do get the do get occasional okay  hour/hours and the odd okay day.

And I also know that at 6 months I may still have a way to go from there before there's any great turn around in symptoms and need to keep holding until when ever anyway. As right now even my skin is breaking out in all sorts of lesions boils and rashes as well but that's the poison coming from the inside out no doubt. So right now everything is pretty severe, but look what happened on the 29th of may from hell to heaven in a nano second? Talk about non linear and unpredictable, that day for a few hours  was where I want to be when this is all over, walking in the perfection I came here to be it was total bliss :)

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Nova,  I am so happy you had a great window :yippee:  It's so sad when they fade but that's how this goes.  Your smart to keep holding.  I have read that some people hold for up to a few years depending on their s/x.  We are all so different and we have to figure in one fact, that our brains have permanently changed and will take a while to change back. Our MLT or medium temporal lobe takes a while to get back to normal and in some cases develops a very real neurochemical deficiency*.  Benzo's hit the cerebellum sure but the tinnitus end of benzo w/d has nothing to do with the cerebellum, it's all MTL based so it's one of the reasons tinnitus healing takes a longer path in benzo withdrawal*. Most scientists have been looking at the wrong part of the brain and at the wrong gaba receptor clusters.

Tapering a Parkinson's patient off Dopamine pills does not cure Parkinson's right?  I think in some rare cases there is only so fast one can taper and it may be a long journey.  No need to push it. 

Changes in the medium temporal lobe gabaA network are not so easy to heal from. Thousands of people are born with tinnitus and a natural gabaA deficiency* in their medium temporal lobe's. 

In our case we did this too ourselves but the end results are just as real as all those people born with this so far "nameless" disease.  For now let's call this syndrome BDSMTLS

These articles are for you since I can't PM you I hope they give you some insight into how all this works and open your mind to all possibility.  Many forks in the road and in the end "quality of life" is one of them.  Draw your own conclusions.

* http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=231

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14689626

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8343245

https://www.google.com/search?q=MTL+of+brain&biw=1041&bih=515&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG0rSu2LnNAhVE1WMKHT2tCF8Q_AUIBigB

Big Hugs

:hug:  Birdy  :hug::smitten: 

Hi All

Hiw are you doing?

I have an update to my situation. My ears are completely healed at this point but my tinnitus is notlw fully inside of my head. It turned into a head sound. Full jet machine sounds. I can feel my neurons moving lol. Is it good to Tinnitus fluctuates so much? When I do not sleep well for a night my tinnitus turns out to be more than a sound like a sensation. I can feel it all over my head. I think I miss my old T but I must admit that this kind of tinnitus can completely ve masked with crickets sound.

Take care

Hi All

Hiw are you doing?

I have an update to my situation. My ears are completely healed at this point but my tinnitus is notlw fully inside of my head. It turned into a head sound. Full jet machine sounds. I can feel my neurons moving lol. Is it good to Tinnitus fluctuates so much? When I do not sleep well for a night my tinnitus turns out to be more than a sound like a sensation. I can feel it all over my head. I think I miss my old T but I must admit that this kind of tinnitus can completely ve masked with crickets sound.

Take care

Thanks for the update Beste!.  How many MG daily of the K were you on for that year?

'I was the same as you in that my C/T was easy at first and when I healed and at the end I had a whopping case of unbelievably loud tinnitus that maxed out for me at month #7. 

I wish you continued healing and keep reporting in please.  From what I heard is that the more the tinnitus heals the slower any new healing gets.  Years after there comes a point that you just stop thinking about it for most people and it becomes a "non-issue".  I wish I was there now.

Hugs Birdy.

I forgot I was still subscribed to this thread!

Hang in, everyone - it gets so much better. Consistently since I hit month 5, all ear issues began breaking up from constant torture. For a few weeks, it's continued getting better and better. The most bothersome ear symptom for me was the hyperacousis. I couldn't even talk without my ear drums retracting at the end of each word. Welp, it's down to flaring up once or twice a week for a couple of hours!

Tinnitus is a faint hissing sound I only ever notice at night anymore.

Keep pushing through, everyone. It gets so much better!

I forgot I was still subscribed to this thread!

Hang in, everyone - it gets so much better. Consistently since I hit month 5, all ear issues began breaking up from constant torture. For a few weeks, it's continued getting better and better. The most bothersome ear symptom for me was the hyperacousis. I couldn't even talk without my ear drums retracting at the end of each word. Welp, it's down to flaring up once or twice a week for a couple of hours!

Tinnitus is a faint hissing sound I only ever notice at night anymore.

Keep pushing through, everyone. It gets so much better!

Great to here the good news illneverdothisagain. 

I am still living with the jet engine sound in my brain.  High pitched, nasty sound and no matter how much it heals it seems to bug me just as much. 

It seems to be driving me into a Manic / Depressive state since I am so happy on good days and so down on the bad days.

Keep healing and keep checking in we love to here good news. :thumbsup:

My TT is still Like a Tea kettle most of the time but do get breaks and been having a noise in the other ear like a humming noise but has let up in the last few day so fingers crossed on that one @  illneverdothisagain glad things are better @ Birdman can you explain this ?  From what I heard is that the more the tinnitus heals the slower any new healing gets.    Thanks ~ CD

Hi all, my ear is always feeling full and buzzing sound and it seems like the sound is from the brain or back of my head. dont know if anyone have the same case, is this the worse type of tinnitus I wonder, this is so disturbing and annoying plus hard to sleep.  I'm still tapering but on very low dose now. is this normal??  regards, mcm

Hi all, my ear is always feeling full and buzzing sound and it seems like the sound is from the brain or back of my head. dont know if anyone have the same case, is this the worse type of tinnitus I wonder, this is so disturbing and annoying plus hard to sleep.  I'm still tapering but on very low dose now. is this normal??  regards, mcm

Yes it normal.  Talk to a member named LINDER.  She has it in the back of the head.  maybe you have to PM her as she is not around much.

My TT is still Like a Tea kettle most of the time but do get breaks and been having a noise in the other ear like a humming noise but has let up in the last few day so fingers crossed on that one @  illneverdothisagain glad things are better @ Birdman can you explain this ? From what I heard is that the more the tinnitus heals the slower any new healing gets.    Thanks ~ CD

Hard to explain.  If your tinnitus is only half as loud as the year before you still have tinnitus but only half as loud.    It is still tinnitus!  Question is what is the level that is low enough to forget about it. 

Bird man, thank you for the response-  my ear got worse if I've got some sorthroat or colds.

My tinnitus was really bad last summer before I was diagnosed with cancer...in other words I was quite sick and didn't know how bad it was.  Anyway, it went away for months while getting chemo, etc.  I had a procedure done (port removal) and tapered .5 mg off of Ativan on the same day.  My ears have sound like electricity ever since though I had 2 different days with 2 hours of silence each.  Ahh 4 hours of no tinnitus:)

Anyway, due to the timing I definitely think it's due to the medication but my docs tell me it's due to hearing loss??  I'm hopeful that it will go away and thankfully there are times I don't notice it as much because I'm too busy.  I was also advised to see a massage therapist for the neck and jaw area.  Apparently some people find relief through that!

I hope everyone's tinnitus doesn't drive them crazy today!

Bird man, thank you for the response-  my ear got worse if I've got some sorthroat or colds.

Almost everyone here seems to have "WAVES" of some kind during a flu or cold and me too.  I wish I knew what it meant.

I do recall as a child having bad tinnitus during high fevers so the sound is not new.  It's like my brain thinks I have a high fever.    Benzo w/d is so bizarre.