Stomach healing place

[br...]

I eat a very healthy diet, but I still eat dairy--cheese, cottage cheese, and a hard boiled egg. Im thinking I need to try and cut the dairy and see if that helps, but Im at a loss as to what to eat-- Ive already cut out processed food, sugar, bread, gluten. Does anyone have any healthy meal ideas?? thanks, jenny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

Nuts and Berries Jenny, fruits like Dates and Figs. Organic wholemeal uncut bread if you want to still eat bread. It helps with weight management. Proteins from fish and turkey/chicken. Veg is a bit hit and miss, I just eat pea pods every other day.

See if this helps,

Breakfast:

Strawberries and Blueberries on wholemeal bread, toasted. Throw on some organic Peanut butter, it is not much more expensive then regular. Top with crushed Walnuts. A couple of dates and figs for something to nibble on while your eating the toast.

Lunch:

Wholemeal rice, pea pods, oven baked cod with lemon juice and parsley.

Dinner:

I just eat Breakfast lol, well that is what I do at the moment, especially now strawberries are coming in season.

Drink 2-3 liters of still bottled water per day too, to ensure good bowl movements.

Nuts and Berries Jenny, fruits like Dates and Figs. Organic wholemeal uncut bread if you want to still eat bread. It helps with weight management. Proteins from fish and turkey/chicken. Veg is a bit hit and miss, I just eat pea pods every other day.

See if this helps,

Breakfast:

Strawberries and Blueberries on wholemeal bread, toasted. Throw on some organic Peanut butter, it is not much more expensive then regular. Top with crushed Walnuts. A couple of dates and figs for something to nibble on while your eating the toast.

Lunch:

Wholemeal rice, pea pods, oven baked cod with lemon juice and parsley.

Dinner:

I just eat Breakfast lol, well that is what I do at the moment, especially now strawberries are coming in season.

Drink 2-3 liters of still bottled water per day too, to ensure good bowl movements.

Thanks Bring it on!! :)

No problems Jenny, I forgot to mention. No Cashew nuts or Peanuts, I know that sounds strange when I spoke about Peanut butter earlier. Somehow, when Peanuts are in PB it is just different and easier on the stomach. Not so much so when consumed whole.

Cashews, something to do with toxicity levels and to many carbs, I tried them, they did not like my stomach, we fell out.  :tickedoff:

Try Almonds, Walnuts, Macadamia, Brazil nuts.

Good luck.

I just read yesterday that walnuts are high in glutamates.  Don't know if you folks are watching your glutamate intake.  There are so many things to take into consideration while in benzo w/d.  I am having difficulty gaining weight.

xo OC  :smitten: :smitten:

I was just about to have some cashews.  Read this.  Saw some walnuts and then read that..  OMG...  I hope dates are ok?

Yes, I usually eat a cup of RAW mixed nuts in the morning.  Cashews I told were good for the brain, by my nutritionist and he told me to eat walnuts, which I picked out of my mix this morning because of the glutamates.  I have never heard of cashews being toxic.  They are so delicious.  Pretty soon there won't be anything left to eat.  No dairy, no carbonation, no acid foods, no sugars, no gluten.  OK folks, that leaves meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and fruit. 

xo OC :smitten: :smitten:

hi Bring, my mom drinks a cup of aloe vera juice for her stomach problems that seems to help her , chamomille tea works very GOOD for stomach Nausea , so does ginger for the nausea . i never really had stomach problems ive just taken a low dose of xanax 2 years.  i hope that information helps you and others that read this .

have you had any xrays of your tummy ? one of the intestines can get stuff stuck to it i forgot what is good for that to cleanse it out i reemmber reading that some people can get over 10 pounds of "sludge wasate" stuck to the intestine!

Pretty soon there won't be anything left to eat.  No dairy, no carbonation, no acid foods, no sugars, no gluten.  OK folks, that leaves meat, fish, poultry, vegetables and fruit. 

xo OC :smitten: :smitten:

I hear ya OC, eating becomes quite a challenge and I HATE to cook.  My diet isn't terrible, but it isn't great either.  At the end of the day, if you are losing weight, you have to eat what you can get into you and keep down, whatever it is. 

Hugs to you honey,

Love,

Rabbit

I eat a very healthy diet, but I still eat dairy--cheese, cottage cheese, and a hard boiled egg. Im thinking I need to try and cut the dairy and see if that helps, but Im at a loss as to what to eat-- Ive already cut out processed food, sugar, bread, gluten. Does anyone have any healthy meal ideas?? thanks, jenny

Hello:

I saw this post & thought maybe these suggestions may help some of you. I have had great difficulty finding foods that minimize stomach upset & are still healthy.

Almond butter is good source of protein, & helps to regulate blood sugar. Instead of raw vegetables,(hard to digest) I put a  variety of veggies & fruit in my blender then strain. This makes an excellent, healthy beverage that is easily digested & full of nutrients.

The link below is a diet that I have been using for awhile now. It limits the intake of all sugars, grains etc. This has worked remarkably well for me.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/beginners-guide/

I make my own Greek yogurt, farmers cheese & Kefir water & milk. All foods/beverages are probiotic (fermented) & lactose sugar and fat free. I also use almond flour to replace regular flour (see the book above.) I use homemade almond & coconut milk to make my Kefir. These are great substitutes & are well tolerated with benzo belly. Making homemade greek yogurt, farmer cheese etc. is a way to get rid of ALL of the lactose sugars & still be able to enjoy dairy.  ;)

Kefir water & milk is a great substitute for carbonated beverages. The kefir water & milk is also fermented & well tolerated. It actually has more probiotics than yogurt. I can honestly say my GI issues are all much more tolerable now. This is all suprisingly easy to do! I have many recipies to share if anyone is interested. Just ask! :)

Below are a few links. Check them out!

Kefir water & milk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/Water-Kefir/

Bella Amis

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  :)

Sorry I have neglected this thread, I did intend on updating every other day, sadly, it was just not possible to even type at time, never mind think about benzo and PPI withdrawal.

Every time I went near the computer I found myself searching for PPI withdrawal recovery times and I was doing myself no favors.

Week two in the PPI withdrawal saw symptoms step up to the next level unfortunately. I won't go into details, basically it was everything I went through in weeks one and two (see a few pages back) only a lot worse. I was in a bad way for a few days and I really felt like this was the worst experience I have been through so far.

The PPI withdrawal revved up benzo wd symptoms and then I had the actual PPI withdrawal symptoms to contend with on top of everything else. Me and the gf argued and some negative things got said, I almost left my girlfriend, that is how badly this PPI wd messed me up. :( I love her dearly. x

I would say the worst of the PPI wd was in weeks three and four. I am coming to the end of week four now and it has been 26 days since I last took a dose of the PPI tablets. ( I was on 30mg per day for about 3 years).

I am with out a doubt over the worst now and thankfully I can finally get some sleep. Some very slight burning in my stomach remains but as each day passes it improves a little more.

Now for the confusing part.

Although PPI wd was insanely bad, I have to say that during this period I was experiencing some powerful windows in benzo wd and I'm glad and very happy to say that a few really good things have improved from a benzo withdrawal perspective.

Improvements made since stopping PPI's:

Difficulty swallowing

Altered Gait

Bloating

Sleep

Breathing

Digestion

Bowel Movements

Bladder problems

Back Pain

I made the right choice getting off this medication, others might want to be more careful and taper off as this is no easy ride. I will help as much as possible if anyone would like any further advice. I hope your'e all ok and feel free to ask any questions you may have regarding PPI withdrawal.

Not forgetting, a big thanks to Spartacus, Elli, Piano Girl and Margarita for the advice last month and to everyone else who is still standing, fighting another day in benzo withdrawal, you guys are going to be alright you know, just keep going, keep your head held high and look to the future, your life is now a work in progress and as you reduce your doses or you get through another month after jumping, your life will only get better and better. Mold yourself to the person you should of been before you got sick and when you come out the other end, your life will be better than ever and you will become the person you were always destined to be.

Sure is good to be back, I think, lol, yeah it is good to be back. I had to think about that for a second. I love you all.

I feel happier than I have for a long time. The storm is breaking and the sun is shining, I can hear the birds tweeting and I can smell the fresh grass again.

Lots of hugs coming your way.  :smitten:

Thanks

Bring it on.

I personally think you did the right thing getting off the PPI. We all are very sensitive to any kind of medication, and I think most meds do more harm than good. Good for you! Sorry, you have been feeling bad and had a fight with the GF--it will get better! Jenny

Dear bring it on:

Thanks for your information about PPI.  I am six weeks off of ativan and now have the PPI to think about.  I am.nervous about this step as the burning of my esophagus was severe and I don't want it back.  I am on Tecta (pantrapozole) 40mg once a day.

Any guidance along the way would be appreciated.  I will go back and read your previous comments again. 

Domestic Advisor

I personally think you did the right thing getting off the PPI. We all are very sensitive to any kind of medication, and I think most meds do more harm than good. Good for you! Sorry, you have been feeling bad and had a fight with the GF--it will get better! Jenny

Thanks Jenny. I am just glad it is mostly over with, exhausted. Hope your'e ok, as well as can be anyway.

Dear bring it on:

Thanks for your information about PPI.  I am six weeks off of ativan and now have the PPI to think about.  I am.nervous about this step as the burning of my esophagus was severe and I don't want it back.  I am on Tecta (pantrapozole) 40mg once a day.

Any guidance along the way would be appreciated.  I will go back and read your previous comments again. 

Domestic Advisor

Hi DA,

I would let acute withdrawal settle down before attempting any cold turkey or taper off PPI'S. Once your'e over the worst of acute benzo wd this is when it is best to quit the PPI'S in my opinion and you don't have to be completely healed, just at a point when your'e both physically and mentally stronger.

When the time is right you will just know and for me that time was just before the 11 month mark.

That all being said, I don't know a lot about your situation, you may well be strong enough now. Everyone is different, I will let you be the judge of whether it is the right time.

Good luck and well done for getting off one set of poison, it only gets better now, bare with the waves, ride them like a storm trooper and when the windows open up, breath in deep and recharge ready for another day.

Thanks

8)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a rough quick taper of 6 weeks and a week from hell when stoppig ativan.  Then a few weeks of weird but tolerable symptoms.  Now on day three of an undertow that is trying to pull me under.  I feel like I am on fire inside and out.  Also insomnia.

I eat very healthy.  Lean proteins, green smoothies and vegetables.  I drink a lot of water each day.  Some with lemon juice and some with apple cider vinegar and honey.  I walk 8-10 km a day.  Not working at this time due to stomach issues and ativan.  I take supplements as recommended by Parker.

I am a forty six year old female and also going through hormonal issues. 

I truly appreciate all the guidance I have received from so many countless buddies here.

Domestic Advisor

I am four weeks since I stopped nexium c/t after 3 months use..... I have 8.5mgs of valium to taper off.    The last week has been building up to continual and distressing acid burning in my chest, croaky voice and tight chest like asthama plus nausea and lack of appetite..  I had a gastroscopy at the time I stopped the nexium and it said I had mild gastritis. 

Is it safe to let symptoms this bad to go on for an entire taper which could be 18 months?

I want to thank the people who recommended that I use ginger for my awful stomach pains and nausea - it has helped me immensely - I drink the tea (make it myself) in the AM and PM and the nausea is so much better as well as the cramping.  It has made my c/o survivable for me and yesterday I started my taper!!!  On my way slowly but surely dropped .05 from my 6 PM dose so now on 2 mg Valium at 6 PM.  Again thanks to all on this board.

I make it 2 ways- one is I use crystallized ginger (you buy it in spice section of store and it is not cheap).  I add to that the peel of a lemon -steep in hot water for 3 minutes - and drink it.  The other way is I use fresh ginger - you 'peel' it with a spoon and cut off some pieces of fresh ginger- again I add some fresh lemon peel- this I put in a tea strainer and pour hot water over it - let it sit for 3 minutes and then drink it.  Either way is fine- there are some you tubes that have you taking 20 minutes to make this but I found others that did it this way.  I don't add sugar though the crystallized ginger is made with cane sugar.  You can also just buy the tea bags but they all have additives so I didn't want that - I just wanted the ginger.  For some reason the lemon helps with it though who knows why.  Good luck and it is very easy to make.  You can't drink it all the time as it has blood thinning properties so for me just one cup in am and one cup after dinner.  It is an anti inflammatory and anti nausea herb - been used for centuries for this. 

Today I'm trying something called Travel Calm Ginger.  It's Ginerg root powder 400mg.

Against the advice of some very bright & wonderful people here I got so scared that I reinstated nexium for two days.  My gastric reflux is off the chart!!!    However I notice that Bring it on also suffered greatly at the same time off his PPI as I am suffering.  I keep blaming everything on the valium (a fair call) but sometimes I'm wrong.  I may just be experiencing very bad w/d at the 3+ week mark off.      BTW my lovely lady GI told me there's NO NEED TO TAPER!!!  I know that is what she believes.  It's what her training has taught her.

So I actually c/t off Nexium at the time I did my final c/o to valium.    So I didn't get a chance to feel the full interaction of 9mgs of valium with 40mgs of nexium.      I did though feel the cut of the valium dose and think it has been partly why I have found it impossible to stabilise since my c/o.        I have wicked w/d butt pain and last nite I could lay on my butt without being in agony.  (thanks to brief updose via nexium)..      I would happily stay on nexium till my taper ends coz fixed gastric relux for 85% but I had fearful diarrhoea yesterday evening along with fun stomach pain.    This explains why my first attempt to c/o to v was a failure.  I stopped because of diarrhoea which I blamed on the valium.    On nexium I get diarrhoea....        I just hope my two day reinstatement of 20mgs won't upset things too much.    I will be back to riding out the gastric reflx and I'm re -reading every word on this thread in the hope of picking up every little hint of what might help me.    I have Gaviscon...      and ginger for the nausea....  ACV burned too much when I tried it - should I persist with using it?    Does it burn initially and but help in the long term?

I think there are many with stomach problems on BB but not enough people popping in to share advice...  :'(

Wiser:  Good question about the ACV.  Does this help many people?  Also I have read 1 tsp - 1tbl per glass of water.  What do others use?

OC  :smitten: :smitten:

Hello All,

Diarrhoea is perhaps the commonest side-effect of PPIs, and another reason it's impossible at the level of the individual to predict how they will affect the blood level of benzodiazepines.

They may inhibit the liver enzymes of the cytochrome system(in some people dependent on other medication and genetic make up), they can therefore increase drug levels. But they can also unpredictably reduce stomach acidity, decrease gastric emptying and decrease transit time in the lower bowel and all of these may reduce blood levels.

The effect on liver enzymes is time-dependent, there's a lag of about two weeks before these are inhibited or induced. The effects on acidity and motility are more immediate, if transient, and possibly lessen over time...biological systems will adapt to insults, your stomach will grow more acid-producing cells once it senses the ones you have are blocked.

In the end, having driven myself round the twist trying to assess how these and other factors may be affecting my diazepam absorption(rate and end point), having realised that what I ate, when, in relation to a dose of any drug was going to have major effects in itself, I decided that none of it computed.

I decided that, as a smooth progressive reduction in blood levels overall was the point of tapering, I would flog on in as monotonously regular fashion as I could. I would eliminate what variables I could and standardise those I was keeping.

My variable elimination included stopping the regular use of all GI drugs, the routine adoption of what lifestyle changes helped me and, initially, ginger.

I don't tolerate free fluids and I wanted all the effects of any active principles available so I incorporated the whole spice into my diet. I found the sugar in crystallized ginger or conserved stem ginger helped a great deal initially though I'd be hard pushed to say why. The powder is easily added to any savoury.

This was unashamedly unscientific. I didn't kid myself there was any right "dose"...there was just what I did and whether it helped me and my symptoms.

It did, hugely. I have just had wholemeal seeded toast and butter, blueberries, walnuts and a couple of chunks of crystallised ginger for breakfast :)

Apple cider vinegar was more problematic. When everything was raw it did add to the burning on its way down so I left it off until that had settled...until the oesophagitis and gastritis I knew I had, had begun to heal. Then, a teaspoonful, taken neat on fish or shellfish, as part of a salad dressing or diluted in as little water as possible did seem to quell the queasiness I could still have...it seemed to help with fat digestion if I had to guess.

Recently, because bring-it-on suggested it here and because vitamin C is always nice, I have tried using lemon juice in a similar way. Like Kgirl I have found that this can help but, like ginger, it seems to be softened by a little sugar or honey...or butter if I'm adding it to fish.

Take care,

spartacus x

Today I'm trying something called Travel Calm Ginger.  It's Ginerg root powder 400mg.

Against the advice of some very bright & wonderful people here I got so scared that I reinstated nexium for two days.  My gastric reflux is off the chart!!!    However I notice that Bring it on also suffered greatly at the same time off his PPI as I am suffering.  I keep blaming everything on the valium (a fair call) but sometimes I'm wrong.  I may just be experiencing very bad w/d at the 3+ week mark off.      BTW my lovely lady GI told me there's NO NEED TO TAPER!!!  I know that is what she believes.  It's what her training has taught her.

So I actually c/t off Nexium at the time I did my final c/o to valium.    So I didn't get a chance to feel the full interaction of 9mgs of valium with 40mgs of nexium.      I did though feel the cut of the valium dose and think it has been partly why I have found it impossible to stabilise since my c/o.        I have wicked w/d butt pain and last nite I could lay on my butt without being in agony.  (thanks to brief updose via nexium)..      I would happily stay on nexium till my taper ends coz fixed gastric relux for 85% but I had fearful diarrhoea yesterday evening along with fun stomach pain.    This explains why my first attempt to c/o to v was a failure.  I stopped because of diarrhoea which I blamed on the valium.    On nexium I get diarrhoea....        I just hope my two day reinstatement of 20mgs won't upset things too much.    I will be back to riding out the gastric reflx and I'm re -reading every word on this thread in the hope of picking up every little hint of what might help me.    I have Gaviscon...      and ginger for the nausea....  ACV burned too much when I tried it - should I persist with using it?    Does it burn initially and but help in the long term?

I think there are many with stomach problems on BB but not enough people popping in to share advice...  :'(

It is worth mentioning that I decided early on in my c/t from the PPI's that I was going to discontinue all stomach meds, the only things I have taken through out the PPI wd was, one cup of water mixed with a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and about three or four glasses of lemon juice and water, the rest of the time I just let nature take its course. Tums or similar I feel only made me worse in the long run, they just get me all out of sink GI wise.

I had extreme burning in my stomach through out all of the c/t. It seemed worse in weeks 2 and 3. What your'e going through is a mix of benzo wd and PPI wd, though the extreme burning your'e feeling will be from the PPI's, it is actually like your stomach is on fire, if you put your hand on it, it gets hot!

I would say tough it out as long as you can, but if you feel you have to go back on the PPIs until your'e over benzo wd, then nobody would blame you and you've done really well getting this far, seriously good going. I hope your'e not to bad today.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a rough quick taper of 6 weeks and a week from hell when stoppig ativan.  Then a few weeks of weird but tolerable symptoms.  Now on day three of an undertow that is trying to pull me under.  I feel like I am on fire inside and out.  Also insomnia.

I eat very healthy.  Lean proteins, green smoothies and vegetables.  I drink a lot of water each day.  Some with lemon juice and some with apple cider vinegar and honey.  I walk 8-10 km a day.  Not working at this time due to stomach issues and ativan.  I take supplements as recommended by Parker.

I am a forty six year old female and also going through hormonal issues. 

I truly appreciate all the guidance I have received from so many countless buddies here.

Domestic Advisor

That is what we are all here for, we all help each other as much as we can, sometimes this thread might not be active for a week or two but that is nothing out of the ordinary and please do not get to disheartened if your post is the last one waiting for a reply that never seems to come. We do what we can, when we can and consequently all we can do is try and if our ideas works out then great and if it does not then we try and try again.

Really good to have another member on board in here. Wishing your Sunday woes away.  :angel:

Apple cider vinegar was more problematic. When everything was raw it did add to the burning on its way down so I left it off until that had settled...until the oesophagitis and gastritis I knew I had, had begun to heal. Then, a teaspoonful, taken neat on fish or shellfish, as part of a salad dressing or diluted in as little water as possible did seem to quell the queasiness I could still have...it seemed to help with fat digestion if I had to guess.

Recently, because bring-it-on suggested it here and because vitamin C is always nice, I have tried using lemon juice in a similar way. Like Kgirl I have found that this can help but, like ginger, it seems to be softened by a little sugar or honey...or butter if I'm adding it to fish.

Take care,

spartacus x

Now I'm at a calmer stand point with PPI wd I will try the ACV and I will try the ginger tea, actually the potions you recommend sound really nice, regardless of wd.

How do you do know so much about the human body, are you a Doctor? Sorry I am nosy by nature.  :laugh:

How is your benzo wd doing, have you had anymore windows?

"Now I'm at a calmer stand point with wd I will try the ACV and I will try the ginger tea, it all actually sounds really nice, regardless of wd.

How is your benzo wd doing, have you had anymore windows?"

Hello bring-it-on,

Good to hear from you; good you're getting there; very good your thread continues :)

With regard to withdrawal I can't really complain though I'm continually tempted to. No great highs or lows for a while, I'm gently oscillating about an acceptable, functional mean but lack a sense of overall progress.

I suspect I've finished being grateful for the huge improvements I've made in the last year and want to feel I'm entering some sort of home straight.

I suspect I'm one ungrateful lady :)

Be well,

spart x