Stomach healing place

[br...]

Good luck bring-it-on with the ppi.

Now I'm breaking out in hives.  I think it might be from peanut butter.  It is going to be so hard now to replace the peanut butter.  I have eaten tons of it over my lifetime, I guess too  much.

Mama2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

Good luck bring-it-on with the ppi.

Now I'm breaking out in hives.  I think it might be from peanut butter.  It is going to be so hard now to replace the peanut butter.  I have eaten tons of it over my lifetime, I guess too  much.

Mama2

What kind of Peanut butter have you been eating? I find standard PB does not sit well with me as much and I avoid it. The organic, no added sugar, natural smooth PB is fine with me at the moment.

I had been put on PPIs when my whole w/d nightmare started. I was a drinker for many years and was having heartburn from that (very common). It didn't really escalate until I hit some issues in my life that caused me to drink much more. The drinking started causing me to have panic attacks and huge anxiety for which I was begun on benzos and many other psych drugs. None of these helped the heartburn and actually made it much worse so I was started on Prilosec. That was changed to Prevacid and Nexium over the years. I took those for 15 years - not a good idea at all. But, I had NO heartburn for 15 years and no stomach issues (other than those caused by benzo w/d).

When I started to feel pretty decent from my benzo w/d (around 18 months I believe), I decided to get off the Nexium. I had read many accounts of people tapering off those. I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. I was no longer stuck in the abyss of w/d fear and terror, so I "went for it." I just stopped taking the Nexium with the understanding that I could always go back on and do a taper if necessary. I also was sure to have "something else" for the heartburn that would surely show up. That "something" was calcium carbonate tablets.

In the first few weeks there was increased heartburn, but I would chew a few tablets and then be fine. As time has progressed, it has gotten much better. I still chew tablets on those occasions that I have heartburn. It's "normal"  heartburn like most people get now and then.

I do have a moderate hiatal hernia which does cause some reflux and heartburn at times (especially when I shovel lots of snow like this winter), but with the huge anxiety of w/d now gone, I can manage it easily with CaCO3 tablets.

For me, the key to success was waiting till the fear caused by w/d was over. I then had enough courage to give it a go.

We are all different in every way. That worked for me. 

I had been put on PPIs when my whole w/d nightmare started. I was a drinker for many years and was having heartburn from that (very common). It didn't really escalate until I hit some issues in my life that caused me to drink much more. The drinking started causing me to have panic attacks and huge anxiety for which I was begun on benzos and many other psych drugs. None of these helped the heartburn and actually made it much worse so I was started on Prilosec. That was changed to Prevacid and Nexium over the years. I took those for 15 years - not a good idea at all. But, I had NO heartburn for 15 years and no stomach issues (other than those caused by benzo w/d).

When I started to feel pretty decent from my benzo w/d (around 18 months I believe), I decided to get off the Nexium. I had read many accounts of people tapering off those. I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. I was no longer stuck in the abyss of w/d fear and terror, so I "went for it." I just stopped taking the Nexium with the understanding that I could always go back on and do a taper if necessary. I also was sure to have "something else" for the heartburn that would surely show up. That "something" was calcium carbonate tablets.

In the first few weeks there was increased heartburn, but I would chew a few tablets and then be fine. As time has progressed, it has gotten much better. I still chew tablets on those occasions that I have heartburn. It's "normal"  heartburn like most people get now and then.

I do have a moderate hiatal hernia which does cause some reflux and heartburn at times (especially when I shovel lots of snow like this winter), but with the huge anxiety of w/d now gone, I can manage it easily with CaCO3 tablets.

For me, the key to success was waiting till the fear caused by w/d was over. I then had enough courage to give it a go.

We are all different in every way. That worked for me.

Thanks so much for posting eli, you were one of my main inspirations to get off the PPI's when I was researching how to get off them and saw your story. I think your story is a prime example of how the right frame of mind goes a long way here.

At Day 3 off PPI'S things are not to bad with the cold turkey, food is digesting easier, less bloating, when I awake I don't suddenly need a BM. On the down side, muscles ache a lot more, joints seem weak and fragile and I have a constant medium level burning in my stomach.

I don't care though at least this is just a typical normal type of withdrawal that hits you as soon as you stop using the drug as opposed to the delayed, nasty benzo withdrawal. I seem a little more snappy than usual too, did you notice that when you jumped off the PPI?

I just cant believe I listened to the Drs and took this stuff for so long, it did work at the time but looking back I could of used so many other natural remedies other than PPIs. These Drs have got a lot to answer for. Someone should make a TV documentary to expose these Doctors on what their doing, send in some undercover patients.

Surly the Drs know how bad these pills are, I don't buy the whole ''I don't blame my Doctor they are just as in the dark as me and you' idea, sorry but I call bullshit on that one, they clearly know how damaging these pills are, yeah some more than others, but they know.

I will update further if anything changes, wishing you well eli and everyone and thanks again.

8) B

Hello bring-it-on,

You asked about apple cider vinegar. I took this with a huge dose of scepticism but it worked anyway...the odd teaspoonful in warm water, as the acid half of a salad dressing, used with food instead of lemon or, when pushed, neat.

The explanation I read here for its working depended on it helping to render the diet alkaline but I think there's little evidence that, supposing that was happening, it would benefit reflux.

And the effects tends to be immediate...it can also cut through the nausea I develop after eating like nothing else.

Take care,

spartacus 

Thanks Spartacus, I took it once before but it gave me heartburn straight away, it wasn't organic and I drank it neat. This time I will try it diluted and use the better quality version. Which is quite hard to find in stores.

I need something because this PPI wd is going to get a little crazy in the next few days, all I am using is chews (Tums). Thanks again.

Hi again bring-it-on,

I take the vinegar after food or when I know I'm going to be upright for a while. And I do buy organic but nothing fancier than that.

I read somewhere that in order for a simple antacid to neutralise the acid produced by the average stomach you would have to take a bucket full every two hours.

When everything else fails I take Gaviscon liquid or similar, after food and before bedtime. The theory is that the carbonate and alginate, a seaweed extract, interact and form a raft on top of the stomach contents so that when reflux happens this innocuous raft leads the way and helpfully coats the oesophagus.

I doubt that it's that simple...I suspect the seaweed just appeals to the wholefood in me and the drug companies probably know that...but it can sometimes work better than a simple antacid. I have to take unreasonable amounts of any of these to produce an effect, leading me to worry about just how much calcium, magnesium or sodium I might be adding to the problem.

Take care,

spartacus

Charlotte made this comment:    ****Acid blocking medications almost always interact with benzo metabolism, therefore as you are trying to slowly wean and get clean from the benzos, the acid blockers are increasing the benzo concentration in your body, making it hang around longer.  That's why stopping them rapidly is disastrous, as it is like bumping up your benzo dose, then doing a big cut, you're going to get more stomach burning and withdrawal.****

I've just stopped 40 mg nexium 9 days ago c/t.  I was on nexium 3 months.    7 days ago I started the second half of my c/o to valium from Serax.    But I am having problems stabilising.    The first half went fine (with nexium on board) but am feeling bad since giving up my old benzo and being all on valium.    I wish Charlotte had cited where she read this information as I may be sabotaging my own success in c/o to valium but really felt I needed to get off nexium because of osteoporosis (at age 61) and having no history of GERD before I had difficulties with SSRI's.      I am finding that I get burning in my chest only when I take the valium. 

I really thought it best to get off PPI's because of my bone density.  I live in Australia and the only form of tablet we get is solid - can't open it and get rid of some of the contents.      Any comments as this is delaying my tapering - if Charlotte is correct then I've made an unscheduled cut in valium by stopping the nexium!!! 

Hi WN,

Even if it this were true, I'm not to concerned about it myself, I am at a fairly calmer stand point acute wd wise. I will know if things get to much. Already at day 3 I'm feeling back and nerve pain bumped up a few levels. I would only taper if things got really bad here. At the moment it is achievable for me, everyones pain threshold is different. Out of interest where did Charlotte get this info? It would be good to hear her opinion on this PPI cold turkey vs taper debate.

Hi - I haven't read through every post here so please excuse if this is repetitive.  If you add lemon or lime to your water and sip it a bit prior to eating, it helps get your stomach acids working and ready for food.  Lemon and lime are also alkaline which help too.

Hi - I haven't read through every post here so please excuse if this is repetitive.  If you add lemon or lime to your water and sip it a bit prior to eating, it helps get your stomach acids working and ready for food.  Lemon and lime are also alkaline which help too.

It' true that lemon is alkalizing and it's great for digestion but if you're having heartburn it may work the opposite way, same for mouth ulcers, boils and so on. What I've found best for acidity in the stomach is sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with warm water.

Forgive me if this has already been talked about on here, but has anyone tried apple cider vinegar? Ive read a lot of good things about it for the stomach as well as over all health. I just bought a bottle, but now Im afraid to try it because it seems like anything that would normally be okay for you, may not be when dealing with benzos. Thanks in advance, Jenny

I keep forgetting about the ACV and baking soda.  Some people have luck with different ones.  Thanks for reminding me.  Can't hurt to try it.  Vinegar is aged so might be a glutamate? 

OC  :smitten: :smitten:

Hello Jenny,

Apple cider vinegar, as I mentioned above, really does work for me...though I have no idea why it should.

I use it diluted in warm water or in salad dressing...or neat with fish or any other food that will tolerate acid.

It's worth a try.

Take care,

spartacus

Hi FreeofV,

I am already using around a quarter to half of a freshly squeezed lemon in still mineral water each morning, essentially, this will replace the PPI. If things get to much with the burning, I will then take a teaspoon of baking soda in half a glass of water. I will also try ACV today. The idea behind the lemon is it turns acid into alkaline so hopefully it will help.

Day 4 of the PPI cold turkey,

I can feel sx similar to the flu, hot and cold, bones ache, tired and just not to well. I think this is why some people get diagnosed with gastroenteritis whilst their in PPI wd as you get all the typical sx along with acid reflux rebound. The same happens to people in benzo wd they get told off badly educated Drs that they have all sorts of illnesses when in reality it is just wd.

I will beat this, I need to look after myself a lot more over the next couple of weeks, already I feel a lot weaker. I would not suggest any elderly people try this cold turkey but if your'e strong enough, go for it, young or old.

Thanks overcomer and spatacus, I'm gonna give it a try. I'll let you guys know how it works. Best wishes, jenny

I had a look on google, it was a mixed response, some say before, some say after. I tried after a meal, I will try before a meal soon. I felt more knotting than relief to be honest. I will try again. Thanks Jenny.

Day 6 of the PPI cold turkey,

It is now starting to get rough, food is not digesting, sleep is quite bad, nightmares and waking up feeling heavy and drowsy. Constipation is mild to medium, I've had worse. I have decided to use no ant acid tablets through out this wd at all, I don't know why but something is just telling me to stay away from them.

I bought some DGL and will use it if I need to use it. The burning in my stomach is worse, not by a lot. This is the wd starting to peak now. The next week will be the worst. I will update each day, hoping that one day this will help others to get off PPI's.

One thing is for certain, unless I think I am in real physical danger I will not take another PPI again.

How is everyone doing, has anybody had any improvements?

8)

Hello BIO,

I fought my way out of the PPI/antacid vicious circle as soon as I weighed enough for it to be safe...all part of addressing a dysfunctional GI tract by making the bastard practise functioning normally :)

Now I'm still symptomatic daily but less so, can eat with some reference to nutrition and am gaining weight.

I am also in a time when I'm cycling rapidly in and out of waves. A bad day always makes my GI symptoms either flare or become more noticeable because my threshold to pain lowers while my demented brain fires off alarms.

While I never feel like running back to antacids, apart from occasional homeopathic liquids, I do notice that I sometimes revert to earlier eating patterns...a whole bunch of crap carbohydrates basically. I lower my free fluid intake(never very high) and wrap my burning stomach in bland volume, bread and potatoes.

This seems to help in the very short-term. In the anything but very short-term it bloats and constipates, particularly if the decreased transit time of an anxious wave backs off first.

It's all a bit of a balancing act but worth it.

Good luck, one day we will both again eat and process food as if it was the most natural thing in all the world :)

Take care,

spartacus

PS DGL is liquorice right? That's the base of my liquid antacid...I don't tolerate peppermint...and its the reason apart from seaweed I use that particular make. I have had a problem with low blood pressure throughout. Liquorice can raise blood pressure...not a good idea if it's already high.

Thanks Spartacus, 

How long did the worst of PPI wd take to settle down and when was it at its worst, if you can remember?

The main issue is the lack of sleep due to burning and undigested food and the fact I can not eat much, those two combined has my emotions going hay wire. I was all set to leave my gf yesterday. I am a lot more snappy at the moment. Tough times.

I had the same idea as you, I said to myself, as soon as I get a regular sleeping pattern and can eat well again then I will get off the PPIs. I would hate to be fully healed then have to endure this PPI wd. I think it is best to get it over with now, it must seem crazy to anyone reading, that after feeling so good benzo wd healing wise, I put myself through another type of wd. I know the end result is going to be worth it.

I didn't even bother to research DGL to be honest. I have a cupboard full of supplements that I have not used, I just read that something might work and buy it, thinking that one day I may need it and remembering those times when your'e really sick, you don't want to be out shopping for supplements, I say to myself this might come in useful.

I don't suffer from low/high blood pressure as far as I am aware. Although there were times during benzo wd when I could not even stand up without nearly fainting.

Hey BIO,

I found giving up PPIs a relative joy. I had managed diarrhoea on lansoprazole, increased pain on esomeprazole and curious compartmentalised "depression" on both of them.

This was mid-taper so it was always difficult to sort out what was causing a given symptom. The rebound increase in acid production and reflux lasted for about three weeks for me but then, because of the side effects, I had taken these drugs intermittently for a couple of months at most.

My existing proton pumps were inhibited but my parietal cells hadn't started making new ones to overcome a perceived problem. I believe when this sort of recruitment has happened that rebound acid production will be much more marked and will go on for longer.

I dealt with it largely with simple measures. "Luckily" I didn't have to bother too much about lying down because, since antidepressants, benzodiazepines and z-drugs, sleeping had become a thing of the past.

And I too have the mandatory cupboard full of supplements for those magical withdrawal moments when something just "must" be done...despite the certain knowledge that most of the clever stuff I've ever tried has made things worse.

Overall I was glad to see the back of them, have done better without them, though this may just have been the passage of time and benzos, and didn't find their withdrawal much of a problem apart from worrying that acid would actually burn a hole in my oesophagus or stomach. Coincidental endoscopy carried out for other reasons reassured me at some point that, however it felt, this hadn't happened...and my perennial gastritis had actually improved.

Take care,

spartacus

PS I can't have been clear. Liquorice is a bad idea if you have high blood pressure. It can undoubtedly make this worse, an effect I tried to use to address my low blood pressure while on benzos and during withdrawal.

Spartacus,

Regarding the low blood pressure, I too, am experiencing it.  My nausea is back with a vengeance. Do you think the low blood pressure is related to the stomach being out of balance?

Mama2

Hello mama,

I don't think it was for me. Low blood pressure is a known side-effect of all benzodiazepines. In my case I got classic orthostatic hypotension...if I stood for any length of time I fainted because there was insufficient blood reaching my head so my brain felt the need to render me prone whatever it took.

This could be peculiarly unsafe. I really could stand waiting to cross the road and, if held up for too long, fall under a bus. I had to keep moving whatever I was doing. Akathisia was a great help here :(

Because it did get worse initially when tapering...but then everything did including my state of hydration and ability to eat the salt that seemed to make me a bit more resilient.

Then, at the end of my taper and after withdrawal it all went away. I became normotensive and have remained so. I regained the very British ability to form an orderly queue...which was nice :)

Reading here, particularly about the number of people diagnosed with POTS, the "O" stands for orthostatic and the "T" the reflex tachycardia you get as BP falls and the heart gets desperate to do its bit, I think many run across this problem.

On the other hand nausea has become a way of life for me. It was what started my glorious psychiatric career, undiagnosed post-infective gastroparesis wrongly attributed to "psychogenic nausea and vomiting secondary to depression".

It was made spectacularly worse by withdrawal but I still have it most days, if only in the morning. It's now clear that my blood pressure doesn't fall because of this unless vomiting or the inability to take fluids causes significant dehydration.

That having been said nausea can make my head spin in a pretty tragic way that would be easy to mistake for faintness. The difference being that it doesn't ever actually render me unconscious whereas I lost count of the number of times I blacked out when benzos were buggering with my BP.

Take care,

spartacus x