• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

Bring,  how bad was your stomach problems on benzo's?  Was it upper stomach or lower stomach?    I'm having huge problems now....  upper stomach.  So much pain upper stomach...    Have tried a new PPI for 1 day and have already bad diarrhoea.  Have been speaking to Spartacus and for me it seems I may  have to do a very rapid taper..  VERY scary but my stomach is in so much trouble.    I will have to dump the PPI again - it's one that doesnt' interact with valium but the side effects are not going to work for me.    When will you finish your taper of valium?  are you having many s/x of your taper?

I feel for you, I have been there, I am not sure how different my pain was, everyone is different. The pain I had/have was mainly in my lower stomach, sometimes upper, mainly lower.

Yeah, I found PPIs only made matters worse too and I often just stayed awake for night after night due to my stomach going crazy at night, laying down is your worst enemy at times during wd.

I finished my taper exactly one year ago tomorrow. I haven't been anywhere near a benzo since. During my taper, my stomach suffered badly. It really got bad and started to get very painful about 6 months into my taper and then just gradually got worse and worse. Symptoms did not let up until about 4 months after jumping last year, May 2013.

I have had windows since then that confirm that all of this pain is down to withdrawal.

I have been linear so far (following a pattern) and this should all be over within the next 6 months, at a push 12 months, but 6 sounds better lol. In that time it would of been well over four years since my stomach pain began, it has been some journey.

I hope your'e not to bad, try and relax as much as possible. I know it is difficult. If your mind is worried, your stomach is worried.

If your mind is happy, your stomach is happy.

:)

Hey bring-it-on,

Snap! I'm also a year off and my outline progress was so similar to yours.

GI symptoms getting out of hand about six months into my taper and then stomach problems, getting worse and worse in the last six months before jumping and only really letting up four months into acute.

That was when I had my first window; that was when I finally knew that the nausea, the anorexia, the burning pain, the reflux were all down to benzos. And mercifully that was when I knew they would get better.

Thank you for this thread.

Take care,

spartacus

Bring,  how bad was your stomach problems on benzo's?  Was it upper stomach or lower stomach?    I'm having huge problems now....  upper stomach.  So much pain upper stomach...    Have tried a new PPI for 1 day and have already bad diarrhoea.  Have been speaking to Spartacus and for me it seems I may  have to do a very rapid taper..  VERY scary but my stomach is in so much trouble.    I will have to dump the PPI again - it's one that doesnt' interact with valium but the side effects are not going to work for me.    When will you finish your taper of valium?  are you having many s/x of your taper?

I feel for you, I have been there, I am not sure how different my pain was, everyone is different. The pain I had/have was mainly in my lower stomach, sometimes upper, mainly lower.

Yeah, I found PPIs only made matters worse too and I often just stayed awake for night after night due to my stomach going crazy at night, laying down is your worst enemy at times during wd.

I finished my taper exactly one year ago tomorrow. I haven't been anywhere near a benzo since. During my taper, my stomach suffered badly. It really got bad and started to get very painful about 6 months into my taper and then just gradually got worse and worse. Symptoms did not let up until about 4 months after jumping last year, May 2013.

I have had windows since then that confirm that all of this pain is down to withdrawal.

I have been linear so far (following a pattern) and this should all be over within the next 6 months, at a push 12 months, but 6 sounds better lol. In that time it would of been well over four years since my stomach pain began, it has been some journey.

I hope your'e not to bad, try and relax as much as possible. I know it is difficult. If your mind is worried, your stomach is worried.

If your mind is happy, your stomach is happy.

:)

Hey bring-it-on,

Snap! I'm also a year off and my outline progress was so similar to yours.

GI symptoms getting out of hand about six months into my taper and then stomach problems, getting worse and worse in the last six months before jumping and only really letting up four months into acute.

That was when I had my first window; that was when I finally knew that the nausea, the anorexia, the burning pain, the reflux were all down to benzos. And mercifully that was when I knew they would get better.

Thank you for this thread.

Take care,

spartacus

Hi Spartacus,

It is an emotional time when we finally join up all the dots and things suddenly make perfect sense. Now when I look back at everything I went through in terms of stomach pain, it is blatantly obvious that Benzo wd was to blame for my symptoms.

At the time it seemed like everything but benzo wd was to blame. I blamed my stomach issues on alcohol, bad genes, actually taking benzos themselves, taking benzos with alcohol, eating to late, eating bad and lots of other things, basically everything but benzos wd, lol. Of course it did not help matters, when Doctors were also telling me that benzo wd was not causing my stomach problems.

I feel for people across the world stuck in our situation, especially those that are just starting out. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make everyone better. I hate me feeling this way, but equally, I hate the fact that so many people are still suffering in silence, and sadly not all will find benzobuddies and not all will make it this far, destined to a life stuck on benzos.

If you've made it to these forums, then you're on your way to recovery. In my opinion.

Good to hear your'e still linear Spartacus and here's hoping a double celebration very soon.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery.

Bring It On

8)

Hi all.

I woke up this morning with a dizzy head and bas nausea.  Had my breakfast and now sipping on ginger tea.  Two months off ativan and off PPI since Sunday. 

Any advice?

Domestic Advisor

When I am desperate I use compazine - I know you are not supposed to but sometimes I must function and if the ginger doesn't work the compazine usually does but I don't take it very often because then I get overly sedated but at least I am not nauseous.  I usually start with 1/2 of one pill and take the other 1/2 if I have to.  The GI is the worst for me - hard to live with day after day and I now weigh 102 lbs so I can't really afford to lose any more weight. If anyone finds something that works please let us know - my doctor said try the sea bands -they do work for some people and are only about 7.00 to buy - I tried them for seasickness and they did nothing for me so I doubt they will help me now. 

Ya I have zofran. Don't take much bc doesnt help a lot. I try the ginger. Not much help. Maybe i will try the compazine...I don't want to add any meds but the nausea is so bad sometimes that I can't even eat or get out of bed! I can't do that for 8 ms while I taper! No way! I need to find something that helps!!!  :crazy: Scopalamine patches maybe that go behind the ear. Some times I need a break from the nausea!!!

I do hear your Grinch it is almost impossible to live with and all I do is tell myself that it means I am healing but every day- ??  The compazine gives me a break every now and then - now ironically since I messed up my taper completely I am not nauseous so I know it is the drug - Valium for me and Klonopin - all withdrawal - something I will be dealing with shortly as I get quickly back down to the dose I should be on.  I was nauseous on the Klonopin then switched to Valium and was nauseous on that - no relief except the ginger did help me - I guess I was lucky.  I hope you find something that works for you - what that is I don't know since we are all so different.  Let me know if you find something that works for you.  Stomach issues are a big problem for many of us - and anxiety causes stomach issues as well - so try some relaxation and exercise as hard as it is to do - it gets those good hormones and chemicals working in our bodies.  I re read Parker's post all the time so I remember that all this means I am healing and my body is making the chemicals it needs to make. 

I was wondering about something that I have going on at the moment, GI related I think. I can't seem to stop producing a ton load of Saliva?

It also tastes like baby soap and mens perfume, like an old fashioned after shave?

Could this be PPI wd or is it something to do with my stomach trying to work better now I am through the worst of benzo wd?

Weird one.

Wow Bring:  That is the opposite of me.  I have no saliva which is causing all kinds of issues!  I would rather have too much than not enough!

xo OC

Hello bring-it-on,

Too much spit is a good sign all round.

Your HPA axis is no longer automatically churning out cortisol and making you dry-mouthed with fear.

And your salivary glands are showing they are completely undamaged and having a bit of a fling.

It is now customary to spit in the face of cruel Fate...and anyone else who annoys you.

Go for it.

spart x

That explains that, I wonder where the baby soap taste is coming from? At first I thought I had swallowed something like toothpaste or mouthwash. Who'd of thought a few years ago, I'd be getting excited over a little saliva? lol.

Another thing, my stomach seems to have shrunk, which is good I guess. I can't eat as much as I could before though, with that my benzo belly has shrunk a lot too. Now if I am bloated, it is nowhere near as pregnant looking as before.

I hope your'e ok Sparty, it's not like you to be naughty lol. We all have to let off steam now and then. I plan on learning self defense when I'm healed and use this as a healthy release of all the built up anger that has come with this awful health situation we are all stuck inn. It is important to release your anger in a healthy dose or else you could just end up in a lot of trouble.

I forgot to mention, sometimes I have zero taste when I'm eating now, more so when my saliva is producing to much and going haywire.

It is literally like eating a piece of cardboard?

Spartacus,

You never fail to give me a chuckle.

My doctor thinks I have vagus nerve disfunction, and wants to refer me to a neurologist.  Although, I know other symptoms I still have like the lead limbs after eating would have nothing to do with the vagus nerve would it?  I don't seem to have much of a problem digesting my evening meal, which makes me think it is all withdrawal related.  I usually feel better at night.

Do you think withdrawal damages the vagus nerve, or it just stops working correctly and will balance itself out?  I sure don't want to put myself through more test if is something that will correct itself with time. 

Mama  :smitten:

Bring it on....that is crazy that you mention excessive saliva production!! I know I have had dry mouth for yrs from x and tramadol. Well I quit the tram last week when I got down to 150mg cold turkey. It was awful. Like heroin wd!!!! Still recovering, but the saliva is just poring out! Gross! I know why, but seriously. Wow!! And this was just from wd off tramadol! Totally good sign but totally gross!  :crazy:

Bring it on....that is crazy that you mention excessive saliva production!! I know I have had dry mouth for yrs from x and tramadol. Well I quit the tram last week when I got down to 150mg cold turkey. It was awful. Like heroin wd!!!! Still recovering, but the saliva is just poring out! Gross! I know why, but seriously. Wow!! And this was just from wd off tramadol! Totally good sign but totally gross!  :crazy:

Tell me about it. Are you craving salt too? I find the only way I can eat anything other than fruit is if I add Pink Salt. I just can not taste anything.

Do you have the baby soap/after shave taste in your mouth along with the excess saliva?

I'm sorry my head is way to fogged up right now to read past posts. But I do want/need to know if anyone on this forum ever had H-pylori and or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

You see I had both last summer and they both have been eradicated, BUT and this is a  big BUTT ;) I now have chronic IBS

the pain most days is almost unbareable. And as I am trying to taper anxiety and stress just exacerbate it all the more.

I won't take any anti-spasmodics due to the fact that I don't want to add something new to the mix and not know what might be causing what sx.

I drink peppermint tea and need to get the pepperming capsules. Chamomile tea also. but they just do the smallest of help

I take pepto bismol when I need to go somewhere or I have anyone over to help relieve the pain

I just am at a loss with what to do about the pain. ITS SO BAD. Feels like someone has their hand on my gut and is twisting it as tight as they can. 

Guess just looking to hear from someone who feels the same way. BTW no nausea, thank God

I'm sorry my head is way to fogged up right now to read past posts. But I do want/need to know if anyone on this forum ever had H-pylori and or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

You see I had both last summer and they both have been eradicated, BUT and this is a  big BUTT ;) I now have chronic IBS

the pain most days is almost unbareable. And as I am trying to taper anxiety and stress just exacerbate it all the more.

I won't take any anti-spasmodics due to the fact that I don't want to add something new to the mix and not know what might be causing what sx.

I drink peppermint tea and need to get the pepperming capsules. Chamomile tea also. but they just do the smallest of help

I take pepto bismol when I need to go somewhere or I have anyone over to help relieve the pain

I just am at a loss with what to do about the pain. ITS SO BAD. Feels like someone has their hand on my gut and is twisting it as tight as they can. 

Guess just looking to hear from someone who feels the same way. BTW no nausea, thank God

Hi laineyk,

I myself went through a similar experience when I first started out in my taper. Around 6 months into it, things got very serve in terms of my stomach complaints. Going through, acid reflux, ibs, cramps, wind, burning, bloating etc. At the time, I had a boat load of tests carried out, mri, x-ray, ultra sound, urine, blood, lots of others and they all came back negative.

What your experiencing sounds like classic benzo withdrawal. Often other illness's can be diagnosed by incorrectly educated Doctors.

I would go and get a second opinion if I were you, just to be sure.

Then at least you can make sure that there actually is something going on in your stomach other than benzo withdrawal, which is doubtful, it all sounds classic to me. Try and find a benzo wise Doctor.

Chances are your'e original test results were somehow wrong. I hope your'e not to bad today. Keep your head up and stay strong, you will get through this, just being on this site is enough to allow you to make a full recovery.

Don't be a stranger, let us know how you get on at the Docs.

Wishing you well.

Bring It On

BIO, I had an endoscopy with biopsy that revealed the HP, then had hydrogen breath test for SIBO. I too have had CT scans blood work urine you name it I have had it. so the 1st two dx were correct.

But this IBS is literally trying to kill me

BIO, I had an endoscopy with biopsy that revealed the HP, then had hydrogen breath test for SIBO. I too have had CT scans blood work urine you name it I have had it. so the 1st two dx were correct.

But this IBS is literally trying to kill me

I myself had an endoscopy. This test is pretty accurate, I would still ask for a second opinion, just to be certain, many people have been diagnosed with all sorts of diseases on these forums, only to make a full recovery months or years later.

Another thing to consider is the benzo withdrawal may have caused the HP, so effectively it could go away or at least make an improvement, once your'e over the worst of benzo withdrawal.

The IBS, is something only you can change. Once your mind is calm, your IBS will gradually vanish. I went through the exact same thing, now it is gone. I still have stomach problems, which are getting better every month. No more IBS though, thankfully.

Hi

It sounds like it could be benzo w/d, but go to doc and make sure nothing else is going on.

I think IBS is a catch all diagnoses when docs don't understand whats going on. My daughter was told she has IBS, I did extensive research and this is what she did and benefited from it immensely. Maybe you already are doing some of it.

1 Gluten free diet.

2 Good quality probiotics from a health food store that are kept refrigerated, and has many probiotic strains, take extra dose every day.( Regulates the bacterial balance)

3 No milk products ( or lactose free)

4 Increase intake of fiber in your diet Gluten free cereals,oats etc. Also you can take psyllium  husk tablet for fiber with allot of water.P husk regulates the intestinal function.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's worth trying.Give it couple of weeks.Let me know how you feel, don't hesitate to PM me

Be well.

D21

Hi

It sounds like it could be benzo w/d, but go to doc and make sure nothing else is going on.

I think IBS is a catch all diagnoses when docs don't understand whats going on. My daughter was told she has IBS, I did extensive research and this is what she did and benefited from it immensely. Maybe you already are doing some of it.

1 Gluten free diet.

2 Good quality probiotics from a health food store that are kept refrigerated, and has many probiotic strains, take extra dose every day.( Regulates the bacterial balance)

3 No milk products ( or lactose free)

4 Increase intake of fiber in your diet Gluten free cereals,oats etc. Also you can take psyllium  husk tablet for fiber with allot of water.P husk regulates the intestinal function.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's worth trying.Give it couple of weeks.Let me know how you feel, don't hesitate to PM me

Be well.

D21

I agree there, Doctors like to call anything they can't get their head around with stomach problems IBS. At the same time, I have to say there were periods during my taper when I was just super sensitive to everything, foods, water, everything and my stomach was just a mess, reacting to every little emotion.

IBS just means your mind irritating your stomach syndrome. The worry of the unknown. Me thinking the worst, sending my stomach into over load, this is IBS in my opinion. Happy minds equal happy stomachs.

I now know it was all benzo withdrawal, but back then I thought I was a goner.

Spartacus,

You never fail to give me a chuckle.

My doctor thinks I have vagus nerve disfunction, and wants to refer me to a neurologist.  Although, I know other symptoms I still have like the lead limbs after eating would have nothing to do with the vagus nerve would it?  I don't seem to have much of a problem digesting my evening meal, which makes me think it is all withdrawal related.  I usually feel better at night.

Do you think withdrawal damages the vagus nerve, or it just stops working correctly and will balance itself out?  I sure don't want to put myself through more test if is something that will correct itself with time. 

Mama  :smitten:

Hey Mama,

And welcome to the wonderful world of vagal dysfunction :(

As I have gastroparesis that predates any psychotropics I have had reason to look into this many times. All I'm certain of is that the whole magical world makes my brain ache.

The vagus or pneumogastric nerve is the tenth cranial nerve, part of the parasympathetic subdivision of the autonomic nervous system. It's a very long, two-way, mixed motor and sensory connection between the brain and the major viscera. And it can certainly be damaged, the odd surgeon has traditionally either purposely or accidentally cut it. But it can also temporarily malfunction.

It's overall function, via acetyl choline and the cytokine system, could be thought of as anti-inflammatory and calming.

An overactive vagus produces the very calming vasovagal attack we all recognise as a faint...low BP, low heart rate, transient unconsciousness...and that could be thought of as a way to render you horizontal as a means of increasing the blood supply to a compromised brain.

It's when all or part of the thing becomes underactive or dysfunctional that the picture starts to blur; the parasympathetic nervous system operates in balance with the sympathetic, and both interact with the rest of the central nervous system, the endocrine system...and the known world.

Bearing the interconnectedness of all things in mind, vagal dysfunction could be the mechanism involved in many routine withdrawal symptoms. Amongst other things it can affect;

1. Speech

2. Swallowing and the gag reflex

3. Breathing control

4. Heart rate and rhythm

5. Blood pressure

6. Gastric acid production

7. Gastric and intestinal motility

8. Bladder function

9. Pain levels

So it's no great stretch to see how it can be implicated in withdrawal and how withdrawal can therefore be implicated in vagal nerve damage.

Needless to say there is no evidence as to whether such damage occurs, or is reversible, in relation to the use of benzodiazepines or their withdrawal.

Most of the hard-core work has been done on gastroparesis, and one of the major causes of gastroparesis, diabetes. It is fairly certain that prolonged, sustained high sugar levels do produce irreversible damage to the vagus, usually as part of a more general autonomic neuropathy.

The question with regard to withdrawal then becomes whether the stress hormones we pump out, in screwing with our glucose regulation, do so badly enough, for long enough, to cause irreversible damage?

Generally speaking the vagally-mediated withdrawal symptoms(POTS, arrhythmias, constipation, stomach acid increase, breathing disorders, swallowing difficulties etc etc)do get better so I assume it does too. Certainly, when tapering my gastroparesis became tragically unmanageable. Since jumping it has remitted to pre-psychotropic levels, so any added damage due to benzos seems to have settled.

On the other hand many theories exist linking vagal dysfunction to the major "soft" diagnoses, IBS, CFS, fibromyalgia, dysautonomias, pathological pain responses...and these demonstrably don't always get better(though I would say some of that would be because the original condition, whatever it is, has an awful tendency to be complicated or cast in concrete by psychotropic use and abuse).

In the end I decided that, like so many other "conditions", vagus nerve dysfunction is a "diagnosis"(or more accurately a description of phenomena without reference to cause)that is going to be made in withdrawal. Whether that is helpful depends on whether the contribution that withdrawal may be making is recognised and subsequently informs management.

There you go Mama...much too much information :crazy:

Take care,

spart x

Hello lainey,

Presumably you were having GI symptoms last summer to cause Helicobacter and SIBO to be looked for?

You were also I think taking a benzodiazepine having reinstated after trying unsuccessfully to withdraw?

There are a few ways you could have ended up with a diagnosis of IBS.

1. All your original GI symptoms were unrecognised benzodiazepine tolerance-withdrawal, dumped into the catch-all IBS.

2. Part of tolerance withdrawal can be gastrointestinal dysmotility syndromes...this can predispose to Helicobacter and SIBO or can contribute to their becoming a problem. 50% of people will have Helicobacter if it's looked for. It's by no means certain this should always be seen as pathological or as causing a given symptom.

3. Presumably your Helicobacter and SIBO were treated with antibiotics and PPIs?

4. Antibiotics, particularly the fluoroquinolones(cipro), can tip anyone on benzodiazepines into withdrawal.

5. They can also seriously damage the normal intestinal bacteria and cause an IBS-like syndrome all of their own.

On a practical level, you should have a look at some of the other posts. We are all different and it's a matter of trying things out and seeing what works for you.

In my experience, and I have certainly felt the same way :( peppermint can make the colicky pain you describe much worse. It's also true that 50% of people, given a diagnosis of "IBS", will get much worse if they increase the fibre content of their diet...though some of this may depend on the type of fibre taken.

And I take crystallised ginger for everything :)

Take care,

spartacus

Thank you Spartacus.  Good information.

I think therefore, my issue is that my provider does not recognize withdrawals this far out.  To bad, that there is not a way to find a benzo wise doctor other than having to visit many, and then still having no luck. 

For sure, I had none of this before benzos.

Thank you again,

Mama