• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

Granola has nuts in it lots of almonds etc so I wouldn't recommend it - you can eat Oatmeal.  Sometimes you can have yogurt as well I have the greek kind since it does not have any sugar added to it - you can add what you want if you buy the plain kind.  I have lots of food allergies so I know how hard this is.

If dairy is an issue there is also yogurt, I think yopliat, that is gluten free and dairy free. But I haven't found one that is those and is no sugar yet ;(. I d eat the Greek if it was no sugar, no dairy, no gluten. All things I need to stay away from.

I'm not sure about all diary.  Just mild allergy to milk and eggs, so not sure about the yogurt.

Grinch and Kgirl,

Have you ever heard of an allergy to beef?  This is all new to me so I haven't had time to research much yet in regards to eating.  I feel the need  to eat every two hours, and seem to require alot of protein, so I know this is going to be a challenge.

Mama

I have ended up with a slew of food sensitivities which I thought at first was causing the pain I have every second and the ibs issues. But now I don't know what is causing what bc benzos can cause all this crap too so I ll play along with the diet and stay away from the foods until I am about 6 ms off benzos (sometime next yr!!) but then I ll slowly try things again to see. My big one is gluten. It is in everything, but it can be done. I had a blood test too. It is hard to just be able to eat. Now I have to plan everything all the time and can't just eat out or at someone's house or anything bc I never know what is in the food. Gluten hides in everything!!!! Everything!!! Beef can be an allergy, or food sensitivity sure. So. Don't eat beef. Should be ok. Eat chicken, fish, pork...But ya, it sucks having food issues, or is it benzo issues;(.

Grinch,

I think it definitely has something to do with the Benzos.  I have had a horrific taper, and now withdrawal.  My stomach and all over weakness has been with me throughout.  I'm aware that is possible to develop allergies at any time.  This seems a little coincidental to me at this point in my withdrawal.  In my 63 years I've never had any issues with food allergies.

It was so difficult for me just trying to avoid all the additives and having to prepare everything at home just for myself.  I feel like there won't be much left to eat.

I guess I'll go for the skin testing.  I did read that some believe the blood test might not be that accurate.

Mama

Ya. I feel the same. If I wasn't already 2 yrs on these restrictions I d get the skin test too. But I know for sure gluten is an issue right now for whatever reason bc when I eat it I get 10x sicker. I do know that having to cut out gluten has made me eat way more healthy! I don't think I ll ever go back to eating the way I did before. I eat so much fruits and Vegis now bc they never contain gluten ;). It was a good way to get off crap food, I guess, bc I had too....bc it made me sick if I ate it. But my gut is still a huge issue even while on thus restricted diet so I suspect the benzo. I guess I ll know for sure when hell freezes over bc that's how long it takes to taper off this crap!  :-\

Good luck Grinch.

In case you haven't visited the Xanax withdrawal support thread, it is good.  There are alot of helpful people on there for support during tapering. 

Mama

mama milk seems to bother me. I don't know about other dairy products as I have decided not to chance them. (Well, cheese is OK). I have almond milk on my cereal -- I just couldn't give up my cereal -- and that doesn't bother me a bit. I am sensitive to soy also, so no soy milk. But almond milk agrees with me whereas milk upset my stomach terribly.

Hope this helps,

Okatz

Sorry haven't heard about allergy to beef but there are a lot of hormones and such in it and it depends on what you are eating - I would try the grass fed beef with no hormones - if this is okay for you then you know it is all the additives in the beef and not the beef itself.  Having this is a awful - but I can't eat lots of things and you just do what you have to do - one thing though read all the labels you'd be surprised what is in some products even supplements.  I can't use certain shampoos because they contain things I am allergic to and even though I am not 'eating' them I still react.  The only thing you can do for a true food allergy is avoid the food. 

I have ended up with a slew of food sensitivities which I thought at first was causing the pain I have every second and the ibs issues. But now I don't know what is causing what bc benzos can cause all this crap too so I ll play along with the diet and stay away from the foods until I am about 6 ms off benzos (sometime next yr!!) but then I ll slowly try things again to see. My big one is gluten. It is in everything, but it can be done. I had a blood test too. It is hard to just be able to eat. Now I have to plan everything all the time and can't just eat out or at someone's house or anything bc I never know what is in the food. Gluten hides in everything!!!! Everything!!! Beef can be an allergy, or food sensitivity sure. So. Don't eat beef. Should be ok. Eat chicken, fish, pork...But ya, it sucks having food issues, or is it benzo issues;(.

Hi theGrinch1,

I was exactly the same when my stomach started going haywire through withdrawal. I could not for the life of me get my head round the fact that benzos were causing my stomach complaints.

It is overwhelming when you eventually join all the dots together and all becomes clear, it is kind of like a switch being turned on and you see where everything went wrong. I'm not healed but I'm in a much better place than when all this GI pain started.

The benzos are to blame in my case, I know this now without a doubt, though even with all this compelling evidence to confirm benzo withdrawal is to blame, every once in a while, I think, could all this be down to something else?

Then I quickly realize once again, yep, this is all withdrawal and I'm going to heal.

It is mind blowing, to say the least. It will get better. I promise.

Approaching week 6 of PPI Withdrawal now and it is worth mentioning during this time, I have not touched any stomach meds at all, no tums, no nothing. Just good old grin and bare it pain. Not nice I will admit, well worth the end results in my opinion.

Not much more to report other than my benzo belly seems to have dramatically shrunk. Especially so at night.

I am sleeping better and yesterday I ate lots of fruit, (15 dates, 6 figs, strawberries, blueberries), some nuts, far to much bread and a couple of Turkey subs. Usually this would not be a good combo, at the time I thought it was time to put my stomach to the test,

and so far so good.

I write this so others can be inspired, I don't mean to sound boastful.

Apparently 8 weeks is where big improvements begin with PPI wd, when the worst of the worst is over.

Here's hoping.  :thumbsup: Wishing you all well.

Thanks Bring it on!

I have been two days wihout my PPI now.  Trying not to thi k about it or my sto.ach too much.  I am being cautious about wbat I eat.  Almost two months off ativan.  Since my tests are.all negative for my stomach I quit the PPI.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Domestic Advisor

Mama2:  you could try raw milk, it is the pasteurization of the milk that cause lactose intolerance.  The only true test for food sensitivities is to delete all of them then begin one at a time for a certain period of time, adding one food at a time.  Blood tests give many false positives.  You can google how to do this properly.  Big pain in the arse but one way of knowing.  I think we develop sensitivities to many things in w/d.

Good luck!

OC  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks so much Overcomer.  I will look for the  milk. I can't imagine not being able to drink milk. I'm nauseated after eating, no matter what I eat, more so in the mornings, so it's hard to know what is what.  All I'm certain of, is that I did have hives with peanut butter. 

Mama

Mama 2:  If you go back on this thread, Spartacus has posted much about stomach problems and nausea.  She thinks that milk is not good!  Also she found much relief with crystallized ginger.  Others are drinking ginger tea with lemon.

Hope this helps.

xo OC  :smitten: :smitten:

PPI??

Do you mean, what is a PPI? If so, a PPI is a Proton Pump Inhibitor. A drug designed to suppress acid in the stomach. This comes with a whole boat load of side effects and these pills do little to help a person in stomach pain, it may help initially. In the end, all these pills do is just cover up the problem for a while and then usually making matters a lot worse. We need acid for our guts to work correctly.

I cold turkied PPI'S, almost 6 weeks ago now. I update this thread now and then on my progress. I had took them for 3 years.

I am finally seeing some breaks after a long and painful few weeks and thankfully my stomach is getting better day by day, week by week.

PPI wd Update:

Note to self, do not eat Mayo yet. I had a little sliver on a Turkey sub the other day and it did not agree with me the next afternoon.

I can live without Mayo for another few months. It is nice addition to a sandwich though and I do miss it.

And milk is a no no for me and the majority of people here, I will eventually be able to handle Dairy again, though once I can, I'm actually not sure if I even want to, if I'm being honest. We are kind of going against nature drinking milk. I don't drink tea or coffee, all I drink is herbal tea and I would never eat cereal, they are full of processed sugars, so I can not think of a reason why I would want to drink milk again, healed or otherwise.

hey. thanks. ya. I didnt know people called those PPIs. Like nexium?? I agree about the milk. I don't really think people are supposed to drink milk past infancy. Though I could be just paranoid. The only cereal I eat is chex. If I eat it. I do drink almond milk but who knows if that is even good for you or just another marketing ploy, much like most of the crap we consume, including meds. I have a gluten allergy/food intol so right there that cuts out many many foods bc gluten hides in everthing! I really think it is try and see with this whole benzo thing and then stick to what works best for now. Maybe one day I'll be able to eat more foods.

Maybe one day I'll be able to eat more foods.

No maybe's about it my friend. If you did not suffer with any serious stomach complaints prior to taking benzos, then once your'e free you will be able to eat everything you once did previously. I don't think you would want to though, given your new and vast array of knowledge on good and bad foods, that you have involuntarily acquired through the joys on benzo withdrawal.

:laugh:

Bring,  how bad was your stomach problems on benzo's?  Was it upper stomach or lower stomach?    I'm having huge problems now....  upper stomach.  So much pain upper stomach...    Have tried a new PPI for 1 day and have already bad diarrhoea.  Have been speaking to Spartacus and for me it seems I may  have to do a very rapid taper..  VERY scary but my stomach is in so much trouble.    I will have to dump the PPI again - it's one that doesnt' interact with valium but the side effects are not going to work for me.   

Bring,  how bad was your stomach problems on benzo's?  Was it upper stomach or lower stomach?    I'm having huge problems now....  upper stomach.  So much pain upper stomach...    Have tried a new PPI for 1 day and have already bad diarrhoea.  Have been speaking to Spartacus and for me it seems I may  have to do a very rapid taper..  VERY scary but my stomach is in so much trouble.    I will have to dump the PPI again - it's one that doesnt' interact with valium but the side effects are not going to work for me.    When will you finish your taper of valium?  are you having many s/x of your taper?

I feel for you, I have been there, I am not sure how different my pain was, everyone is different. The pain I had/have was mainly in my lower stomach, sometimes upper, mainly lower.

Yeah, I found PPIs only made matters worse too and I often just stayed awake for night after night due to my stomach going crazy at night, laying down is your worst enemy at times during wd.

I finished my taper exactly one year ago tomorrow. I haven't been anywhere near a benzo since. During my taper, my stomach suffered badly. It really got bad and started to get very painful about 6 months into my taper and then just gradually got worse and worse. Symptoms did not let up until about 4 months after jumping last year, May 2013.

I have had windows since then that confirm that all of this pain is down to withdrawal.

I have been linear so far (following a pattern) and this should all be over within the next 6 months, at a push 12 months, but 6 sounds better lol. In that time it would of been well over four years since my stomach pain began, it has been some journey.

I hope your'e not to bad, try and relax as much as possible. I know it is difficult. If your mind is worried, your stomach is worried.

If your mind is happy, your stomach is happy.

:)

Bring it on,

Exactly correct! Just like everything else we learn about life going through this hell! Gonna be better about everything if I ever make it out! :-)

(I don't know how to do a link sorry)

I know this may seem crazy but this yoga video really helps me relax and for some reason it relaxes my stomach as well.  I think it just gets your breathing controlled  and lessens some of the anxiety and allows you to relax.  I also do meditation but for some reason this works better for me when I can't even do the meditation.  It is worth a try.  Re the peanut allergy  - doctors now can do blood tests for some food allergies so you may want to see a doctor to find out if you are allergic to peanuts - and what foods cross react with it. You'd be surprised how many things have peanuts in them.  I am hoping our stomachs feel better when we go down or get off these drugs but in my opinion it is the drugs doing this to us since so many of us have it and Ashton mentions it as well as a side effect of a taper.