Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

I have a short question. I've been having some pretty serious diarrhea for the last two days and it's made me feel off. Sorry if this is TMI. I'm doing a little better now but I'm wondering if it could give me a little withdrawal. What's your take? Does anyone have a similar experience? What can I do to ride it out best as I can?

I did some research and if you have diarrhea, like when you have food poisoning, it can definitely affect adsorption of medication. Especially when it's bad like it was. The most common example of this is birth control that's not effective if you have diarrhea.

There is not much I can do now but wait till my system feels more stable again. So I am still not tapering.

Hope everybody is doing well or stabilizing.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a short question. I've been having some pretty serious diarrhea for the last two days and it's made me feel off. Sorry if this is TMI. I'm doing a little better now but I'm wondering if it could give me a little withdrawal. What's your take? Does anyone have a similar experience? What can I do to ride it out best as I can?

I did some research and if you have diarrhea, like when you have food poisoning, it can definitely affect adsorption of medication. Especially when it's bad like it was. The most common example of this is birth control that's not effective if you have diarrhea.

There is not much I can do now but wait till my system feels more stable again. So I am still not tapering.

Hope everybody is doing well or stabilizing.

Oxa, what are you on now? Is it just mirtazapine? I am asking because even though I am sure it has some effect I am not so sure. The reason is because mirtazapine absorbs so fast. I believe it even absorbs through the skin if you let it sit. I remember reading that 90 percent of the drug is absorbed within like 20-30 minutes if I am remembering correctly. That leads me to believe it absorbs before it even hits the small intestine which means it just absorbs through just about any part of you body it touches. I remember looking into to this early on in my taper when I had c diff and terrible diarrhea. After researching I remember thinking it absorbed too quickly to be affected by what was happening in my intestines.

Hi Jack,

I am on Mirta only. And I googled absorption &  Mirtazapine and I guess you are right. It takes two hours to absorb. After that it takes 20-40 hours to clear from your body. I do feel like I have some sort of hangover if I take it late in the evening. I guess I am feeling not well for another reason. I do have some crap going on in my personal life, so that makes sense.  :(

How are you today Jack? Here in Europe (NL) it's raining. Fits my mood I guess. ;)

Hi Jack,

I am on Mirta only. And I googled absorption &  Mirtazapine and I guess you are right. It takes two hours to absorb. After that it takes 20-40 hours to clear from your body. I do feel like I have some sort of hangover if I take it late in the evening. I guess I am feeling not well for another reason. I do have some crap going on in my personal life, so that makes sense.  :(

How are you today Jack? Here in Europe (NL) it's raining. Fits my mood I guess. ;)

Mehhh, I’m better than yesterday so far. I hit a window last night at about 8pm. I had a very peaceful full night’s sleep with no symptoms. Flushing started at about 7 am. Better than the severe flushing that was waking me up at 5 am. I am still struggling to eat. Not so much nausea but weakness and fatigue after eating. I ate breakfast at 10 and am just started to feel a little bit more energy. My symptoms have been way mild today compared to yesterday. Yesterdat felt like acute Xanax withdrawal. Today feels like the beginning more mild part of my tolerance withdrawal.

So I was in a window and ate some rye bread at 6 pm and got so weak and the skin burning started. I wanted my night window but it was not coming. So I created my own window like I have done on other nights by taking my 5 mg of melatonin early. I’m tired but the fever is gone and the burning is gone. It happens every time I take it. I have been trying to figure out why and I think I may have. Many here are talking about histamine symptoms of which I really have none. I have no watery eyes, no stuffy nose, no brain fog. What I do have is nausea, diarrhea, severe skin burning and weird neuro symptoms and now severe fatigue after every meal but no allergy symptoms at all. I just read a few new studies where scientists figured out that melatonin stabilizes mast cells and very effectively. I think I am experiencing mast cell activation. I have had symptoms of this for 23 years. I have been very aware of it and thought that I suffered from MCAS long before I took Xanax and even heard of Remeron. I think Xanax destabilized my mast cells and put me in a severe attack and then Remeron being an awesome antihistamine allowed them to calm down. The way I was eating on Remeron would have never flew before this whole mess. I ate anything I wanted on that stuff and that was not the case before. I had reactions to lots of stuff and had to go grain free many times to calm things down. Not as severe as right now but close. I am going to start focusing on diet to stabilize mast cells as I really do not want to have to try an antihistamine. Many have warned me no carbs in Remeron WD and I have been eating only carbs while worrying about meat histamine. I am going to reverse this thinking tomorrow and get these grains out of my gut and I will report badk with how I am feeling.

Today was still much better than the other day though. A couple of nice windows today. Eatingnis rough though.

[d2...]

So I was in a window and ate some rye bread at 6 pm and got so weak and the skin burning started. I wanted my night window, but it was not coming. So I created my own window like I have done on other nights by taking my 5 mg of melatonin early. I’m tired but the fever is gone and the burning is gone. It happens every time I take it. I have been trying to figure out why and I think I may have. Many here are talking about histamine symptoms of which I really have none. I have no watery eyes, no stuffy nose, no brain fog. What I do have is nausea, diarrhea, severe skin burning and weird neuro symptoms and now severe fatigue after every meal but no allergy symptoms at all. I just read a few new studies where scientists figured out that melatonin stabilizes mast cells and very effectively. I think I am experiencing mast cell activation. I have had symptoms of this for 23 years. I have been very aware of it and thought that I suffered from MCAS long before I took Xanax and even heard of Remeron. I think Xanax destabilized my mast cells and put me in a severe attack and then Remeron being an awesome antihistamine allowed them to calm down. The way I was eating on Remeron would have never flew before this whole mess. I ate anything I wanted on that stuff and that was not the case before. I had reactions to lots of stuff and had to go grain free many times to calm things down. Not as severe as right now but close. I am going to start focusing on diet to stabilize mast cells as I really do not want to have to try an antihistamine. Many have warned me no carbs in Remeron WD and I have been eating only carbs while worrying about meat histamine. I am going to reverse this thinking tomorrow and get these grains out of my gut and I will report badk with how I am feeling.

Today was still much better than the other day though. A couple of nice windows today. Eatingnis rough though.

Histamine affects many receptors in different parts of the body, hence the different symptoms. I have racing and looping thoughts which is histamine in the brain. This might help below. 

A round up of the latest research reveals that the sleep hormone melatonin can prevent mast cells from activating, thereby preventing the release of histamine and other inflammatory agents into the bloodstream, when they’re not needed. As a bonus, melatonin is possibly beneficial in treating tinnitus, which is something many with histamine intolerance and mast cell activation appear to experience in spades.

What are the symptoms of histamine intolerance?

Histamine has a wide-reaching effect on the body. This is because it binds to histamine receptors present on many tissues. Histamine affects tissues

in the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, the skin, uterus, ovary and brain (1).

Symptoms of histamine in the respiratory system:

Nasal congestion

Runny nose

Sneezing

Shortness of breath

Asthma

Symptoms of histamine in the cardiovascular system:

Anaphylaxis

Heart palpitations

High blood pressure

Symptoms of histamine in the gastrointestinal system:

Reflux or heartburn

Abdominal cramps

Abdominal bloating

Abdominal distension

Flatulence

Diarrhea

Nausea

Vomiting

Symptoms of histamine on the integumentary system (skin):

Hives

Itchy skin

Red skin

Flushing

Eczema

Rosacea

Symptoms of histamine in the central nervous system (brain):

Vertigo

Headache

Migraine

Insomnia

Anxiety

Depression

Inability to control body temperature

You are right that it is mast cell and histamine related. The first step is cutting out high histamine foods for a few weeks. Especially sugar, dairy, and gluten of any kind.

[1d...]

So I was in a window and ate some rye bread at 6 pm and got so weak and the skin burning started. I wanted my night window but it was not coming. So I created my own window like I have done on other nights by taking my 5 mg of melatonin early. I’m tired but the fever is gone and the burning is gone. It happens every time I take it. I have been trying to figure out why and I think I may have. Many here are talking about histamine symptoms of which I really have none. I have no watery eyes, no stuffy nose, no brain fog. What I do have is nausea, diarrhea, severe skin burning and weird neuro symptoms and now severe fatigue after every meal but no allergy symptoms at all. I just read a few new studies where scientists figured out that melatonin stabilizes mast cells and very effectively. I think I am experiencing mast cell activation. I have had symptoms of this for 23 years. I have been very aware of it and thought that I suffered from MCAS long before I took Xanax and even heard of Remeron. I think Xanax destabilized my mast cells and put me in a severe attack and then Remeron being an awesome antihistamine allowed them to calm down. The way I was eating on Remeron would have never flew before this whole mess. I ate anything I wanted on that stuff and that was not the case before. I had reactions to lots of stuff and had to go grain free many times to calm things down. Not as severe as right now but close. I am going to start focusing on diet to stabilize mast cells as I really do not want to have to try an antihistamine. Many have warned me no carbs in Remeron WD and I have been eating only carbs while worrying about meat histamine. I am going to reverse this thinking tomorrow and get these grains out of my gut and I will report badk with how I am feeling.

Jack , I am curious , can you try to explain the weird neuro symptoms ?

Like a burning acidy feeling radiating down both arms into my hands, burning skin, burning stomach but not like stomach acid it’s a neruological feeling. I am reacting every time I eat and it is getting more and more severe by the day.

[d2...]
What happened to all the people that used to frequent this forum? Has anyone spoken to them in the past couple of years?

[1d...]
I am 31 days since last cut and still not stable, strange benzo mental sx still but nothing else. I don't seem to get the histamine related sx others talk about on the thread. There is no way I will cut again for a very long time, I will try again in a year and see what happens as cutting puts me in a state where it is almost impossible to work. Once stable I usually feel 95% normal so I can't wait for that to happen. This is just criminal what we go through.

At 3 am last night the burning skin kept intensifying and I had not slept. I finally broke down and reinstated at .24 mg. After about an hour the burning skin stopped. I had some weirdness for the first hour. That was five hours ago. I slept a few hours but mostly missed my window for sleep by taking it so late. It is 8:35 and I am very groggy. I think mirt is still very strong even at .24 mg. I am up now and feel like I am on benadryl. Still have a fever but no burning yet. I was not expected an instant fix. I will have to try and stabilize now.

[c1...]
I appreciate everyone going through hard times but i thought this site was for support etc. Ive posted on here keeping brief a while back but not one bit of support yet you all nice and pally chatty with each other so i feel yet again why bother. Its hell noone to turn to thought people here were for that but seems not. I had good info help re benzo taper before but been told keep posts short i have. I guess what i post noone experiences same so words fail but even a few kind words wouldnt have gone amiss. You all say hey buddy hey this all chatty comparing encouraging. And where have all the othef people gone ,? Obviously healed and left. And yes i get what i was told before all in a boat and if suffering cant teach someone to swim but anything nice would have been better than nothing. Im 72 and at the end of my time and it should never have had to be like this.

[c1...]

[c1...]
Jack37 you say many have said no carbs in mirt wd. Why, ? Cos carbs change to sugar? I am in pain eating and never had half issues i have now with food except where my gastritis is concerned. As i mentioned in my earlier post to which noone commented i go high eating carbs even fruit and my porridge burns eggs burn salads now. I bever gad issues until i tapered zopiclone and now mirtaz. Mirtaze 1ml liquid equals 15mg. I tapering 0.1 a week as per gps instructions  but know its too fast. Now on 0.4. Due to cut to 0.3 tomorrow. 3 hrs sleep tonight. All my insides burn. It has affectted my hand writing like i have lost control. I told my gp ive gone high eating carbs and pain she even said do you want to go back on Zopiclone!! And has written kn my notes benzo dependant which upset me as it was them that just kept giving for sleep never ever wrote that before!! I have no idea here uk how you know if you have histamine issues if theres a self home blood test kit. One place does test but im disabled and too far away. I am still on 0.5 clon. I get the bausea bad now reducing mirtaz. Very irritable. Tweaks of sudden fear waking. My whole insides burn. I also get blocked nose often going to bed after my meds now and Gaviscon. Its sooo hard to figure out whats what but do know i went right down after getting off zop .i am sorry for what you all go through.

Jack37 you say many have said no carbs in mirt wd. Why, ? Cos carbs change to sugar? I am in pain eating and never had half issues i have now with food except where my gastritis is concerned. As i mentioned in my earlier post to which noone commented i go high eating carbs even fruit and my porridge burns eggs burn salads now. I bever gad issues until i tapered zopiclone and now mirtaz. Mirtaze 1ml liquid equals 15mg. I tapering 0.1 a week as per gps instructions  but know its too fast. Now on 0.4. Due to cut to 0.3 tomorrow. 3 hrs sleep tonight. All my insides burn. It has affectted my hand writing like i have lost control. I told my gp ive gone high eating carbs and pain she even said do you want to go back on Zopiclone!! And has written kn my notes benzo dependant which upset me as it was them that just kept giving for sleep never ever wrote that before!! I have no idea here uk how you know if you have histamine issues if theres a self home blood test kit. One place does test but im disabled and too far away. I am still on 0.5 clon. I get the bausea bad now reducing mirtaz. Very irritable. Tweaks of sudden fear waking. My whole insides burn. I also get blocked nose often going to bed after my meds now and Gaviscon. Its sooo hard to figure out whats what but do know i went right down after getting off zop .i am sorry for what you all go through.

I am not sure why the carbs are an issue though they do seem to be a trigger. It’s tough for me because I have always eaten mainly carbs and never did well on high protein diets. I know with this withdrawal I am now having a severe burning reaction throughout my entire body every time I try to eat.

[c1...]
Jack same here i burn all in back all through. Have you had an hb1c blood sugar test check for diabetis. ? Everything i eat burns. I do have gastritis but its gotten so bad even with ppis Gaviscon.  I am wauting for g.i. to get back to me but thinking of going to a and e uk. I remember too when i was switched from 0.5 ckonaz to 4mg diaz when i twice reduced it the acid burning horrendous.  I have read benzo wd can affect stomach acid but i have a lot going on and prediabetic  and eaten way too much crap so think i will go to a and e soon. Will have to catch bus. Im also hypertension high chokesterol ever since the miraz made ne eat gross like a big so i guess its may fault. Its an awful drug. Yes try cut carbs . Even salad burna me inside me.  I admit ive still eaten bad so its like a smoker with copd etc it is my fault but not cos of what mirtaz has done to me. I also have slightly enlarged liver. I pray for all those suffering. Ive never ever had such pain wating or not eating this bad. I was just interested in what you said that someone said no carbs if tapering

Jack same here i burn all in back all through. Have you had an hb1c blood sugar test check for diabetis. ? Everything i eat burns. I do have gastritis but its gotten so bad even with ppis Gaviscon.  I am wauting for g.i. to get back to me but thinking of going to a and e uk. I remember too when i was switched from 0.5 ckonaz to 4mg diaz when i twice reduced it the acid burning horrendous.  I have read benzo wd can affect stomach acid but i have a lot going on and prediabetic  and eaten way too much crap so think i will go to a and e soon. Will have to catch bus. Im also hypertension high chokesterol ever since the miraz made ne eat gross like a big so i guess its may fault. Its an awful drug. Yes try cut carbs . Even salad burna me inside me.  I admit ive still eaten bad so its like a smoker with copd etc it is my fault but not cos of what mirtaz has done to me. I also have slightly enlarged liver. I pray for all those suffering. Ive never ever had such pain wating or not eating this bad. I was just interested in what you said that someone said no carbs if tapering

No I have not had any tests for diabetes. However, I was in the ER last week with bad bradycardia and my blood sugar was 101. That was about an hour after a sandwich so I highly doubt I am diabetic. 101 would pass for fasting blood sugar let alone after lunch. Remeron causes some weird stuff for sure.

This is the med my doctor wanted too put me on. Is It true you gain weight on this med? Or only some people?

I did. It’s one thing I really liked about it. I have the opposite problem of most people. I have to eat like crazy to maintain and gain weight. I have always been that way. I would say it is true. I would say if you stayed strong through the munchies then you could maybe avoid gaining weight on this drug. However, once you gain weight on this drug I think the chances of losing the weight while still on the drug are pretty slim.

This is the med my doctor wanted too put me on. Is It true you gain weight on this med? Or only some people?

I managed to keep the weight off. I eat a very low glycemic diet with lots of fiber, protein and fat. I think it helped. Every now and then I cheat a little. I also try to excersize regularly. Like taking walks (not 10 minutes, but an hour) and going for a bike ride. It was though, but I knew I would take this medicine for some time and gaining a lot of weight would really be a bummer.

But, I also decided that if I did gain weight, I would accept that and still love myself. If you gain weight, you can still be a nice caring person and I am sure people around you will still love you. Also, you can dress accordingly and I think everybody can look good regardless of weight.

Hug!

Jack,

Looks like you have reinstated a micro dose of the mirt, how is that going for you, have you found any benefit or still too early in reinstatement to tell.

For me, most withdrawal effects had settled down except for sleep which is still rough but was only decent the first few weeks on mirt anyway.  Usually stable sleep for me now is asleep about 10 and up between 3 and 4 (ugh), after a cut I’m lucky to get 3 hours sleep a night.

I have recently reduced my dose to 4.3mg, starting day 4 after the cut and this is when all the crap usually starts.  Hoping to stabilize some in this coming week for plans with my kids this weekend, son is doing dinner for me on Friday and daughter on Saturday for my bday.

Hi there - my dr has prescribed remeron, primarily for sleep. Does anyone think it’s possible to take say 1.6mg twice a week only to help with w/d from diazepam? Or is that a really bad idea. Whilst I would love to take remeron for a few months looks like hell to get off.

Jack,

Looks like you have reinstated a micro dose of the mirt, how is that going for you, have you found any benefit or still too early in reinstatement to tell.

For me, most withdrawal effects had settled down except for sleep which is still rough but was only decent the first few weeks on mirt anyway.  Usually stable sleep for me now is asleep about 10 and up between 3 and 4 (ugh), after a cut I’m lucky to get 3 hours sleep a night.

I have recently reduced my dose to 4.3mg, starting day 4 after the cut and this is when all the crap usually starts.  Hoping to stabilize some in this coming week for plans with my kids this weekend, son is doing dinner for me on Friday and daughter on Saturday for my bday.

It’s still too early to tell. On 9/30 I reported that I took a vitamin d supplement and had a severe reaction. I also ate 2 hard boiled eggs at the same time I took the vitamin d. 2 days ago I was doing really well and then I ate 2 hard boiled eggs for breakfast and had the severe reaction again. So I am setback now and suffering badly just like after the last reaction. I have increased my mirt last night to .75 mg and will see how this does as this reaction settles down. It took about 4 days for that reaction to settle last time if that was in fact the cause and not just a coincidence. I hope things settle soon.