Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

has anyone heard from jack and how he is doing with his updose and hold?

I updosed again last night. I am at 1.89 mg. Weird dose, but that is just how it worked out on the syringe with the dosing. I plan to go up farther. I am very sick. I think some is withdrawal but not all. I became severely intolerant to sulfur foods and am now on Xifaxan for suspected h2s sibo. I was tested yesterday for all b vitamins and iron and zinc. I won’t have the results for a few days. I am really unsure what is going on. I am going to updose until the akathisia stops and I can sleep on Remeron alone without needing melatonin supplements. I feel like if I am calm and sleeping well then I can consider myself stabilized. My stomach is a mess. It is just burning all the time and my skin starts burning every time I eat. The weird thing is if I take pepto bismol with my food then I don’t get the burning in my stomach or skin. That is why the h2s sibo is suspected because bismuth binds with h2s and stops it from poisoning you. Whatever it is, I am holding on tight for the ride here. I have never been this sick in my entire life and am honestly concerned for my life here. The doc is starting to talk about an iv at my house because my electrolyte levels keep dropping. My stomach is hardly digesting anything and I am extremely malnourished. Everyday I am just praying for a miracle. I don’t know why my health deteriorated like this so quickly. I might lose my job and end up on disability. This is a total nightmare. I am living through a real life hell right now. I wish I had better news but things are pretty bleak over here and I don’t know if it is the mirt or not.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a quick question about tapering. I might start someday soon. I plan to start by filing off 10% or 1mg of my current dose, but can I pre-file my medication for let's say a week? Looks like it's more convenient that way. I have no idea if this will 'spoil' the medication.

Ox,

That’s how I’ve been doing it, get out the scale and make up one or two weeks worth at a time.

Ok, tnx! I will try to taper once, and see how I respond. If that goes acceptable, I'll continue. If not I might wait till I'm further in my benzo-healing.

Ox,

When I make a reduction I don’t really feel it until day  3 or 4, it intensifies for the next 4 days and then starts to settle down.  I never really feel good during the taper but I feel less bad and that’s when I try a little bit more.  For me, the worst is insomnia so I try to let sleep guide my taper, when my sleep goes to the normal bad and not the horrible sleep from withdrawal I try another cut.  Good luck with your first cut when you decide to try it, let us know how things go.

[91...]

I updosed again last night. I am at 1.89 mg. Weird dose, but that is just how it worked out on the syringe with the dosing. I plan to go up farther. I am very sick. I think some is withdrawal but not all. I became severely intolerant to sulfur foods and am now on Xifaxan for suspected h2s sibo. I was tested yesterday for all b vitamins and iron and zinc. I won’t have the results for a few days. I am really unsure what is going on. I am going to updose until the akathisia stops and I can sleep on Remeron alone without needing melatonin supplements. I feel like if I am calm and sleeping well then I can consider myself stabilized. My stomach is a mess. It is just burning all the time and my skin starts burning every time I eat. The weird thing is if I take pepto bismol with my food then I don’t get the burning in my stomach or skin. That is why the h2s sibo is suspected because bismuth binds with h2s and stops it from poisoning you. Whatever it is, I am holding on tight for the ride here. I have never been this sick in my entire life and am honestly concerned for my life here. The doc is starting to talk about an iv at my house because my electrolyte levels keep dropping. My stomach is hardly digesting anything and I am extremely malnourished. Everyday I am just praying for a miracle. I don’t know why my health deteriorated like this so quickly. I might lose my job and end up on disability. This is a total nightmare. I am living through a real life hell right now. I wish I had better news but things are pretty bleak over here and I don’t know if it is the mirt or not.

Jack - few things I wanted to address. Remeron causes electrolyte issues. Not sure exactly how but taking 1/8tsp of salt in 8oz of water in the morning and at night at first and then slowly increase. Salt is a powerful antihistamine many do not know about. Don't be scared of salt. Everything we have been told about it is a lie. Sugar was the real culprit the whole time.  Remeron is an extremely powerful H1 antagonist which is what all of your symptoms are stemming from. Also H2, H3, H4. The primary receptors that it attaches to though are serotonin 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors and alpha1-adrenergic and muscarinic receptors.  If you look these up you will see what symptoms they produce. Lastly, once you take melatonin your body cannot produce it again naturally so its going to have to be something you will stay on for life. When you get your bloodwork back I suspect severe vitamin B deficiencies which will signal methylation problems. Have you have homocysteine levels checked? Lets see what the bloodwork shows and work from there.

Jack - few things I wanted to address. Remeron causes electrolyte issues. Not sure exactly how but taking 1/8tsp of salt in 8oz of water in the morning and at night at first and then slowly increase. Salt is a powerful antihistamine many do not know about. Don't be scared of salt. Everything we have been told about it is a lie. Sugar was the real culprit the whole time.  Remeron is an extremely powerful H1 antagonist which is what all of your symptoms are stemming from. Also H2, H3, H4. The primary receptors that it attaches to though are serotonin 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors and alpha1-adrenergic and muscarinic receptors.  If you look these up you will see what symptoms they produce. Lastly, once you take melatonin your body cannot produce it again naturally so its going to have to be something you will stay on for life. When you get your bloodwork back I suspect severe vitamin B deficiencies which will signal methylation problems. Have you have homocysteine levels checked? Lets see what the bloodwork shows and work from there.

I see you barking up the same tree as me. Lol. I fought with the doc a little bit just to convince her to check all the vitamins. I got the bloodwork 2 days ago and am awaiting the results. I figured before homocysteine I would check b6, b9, b12 and iron. I also had b2 checked. I did all of this because I noticed the sulfur issue. If b levels come up low then that will better justify my request to have homocysteine checked. I have never been afraid of salt. It is just that I was eating such a restricted diet I did not realize how low my sodium intake was without eating crap. Now I am pouring salt on my food and taking a few potassium pills a day until this get straightened out. I have taken melatonin for long stretches before and been able to get back to sleeping naturally again a few times. I guess we will see with that although having to take it doesn’t scare me. Sometimes I have nights where I can sleep without it. I have been researching like crazy and came to the same conclusions but I appreciate you laying this out here because it further confirms my own suspicions.

[91...]

I see you barking up the same tree as me. Lol. I fought with the doc a little bit just to convince her to check all the vitamins. I got the bloodwork 2 days ago and am awaiting the results. I figured before homocysteine I would check b6, b9, b12 and iron. I also had b2 checked. I did all of this because I noticed the sulfur issue. If b levels come up low then that will better justify my request to have homocysteine checked. I have never been afraid of salt. It is just that I was eating such a restricted diet I did not realize how low my sodium intake was without eating crap. Now I am pouring salt on my food and taking a few potassium pills a day until this get straightened out. I have taken melatonin for long stretches before and been able to get back to sleeping naturally again a few times. I guess we will see with that although having to take it doesn’t scare me. Sometimes I have nights where I can sleep without it. I have been researching like crazy and came to the same conclusions but I appreciate you laying this out here because it further confirms my own suspicions.

I have no doubt in my mind you will figure it out. If the B vitamins come back low message me and I'll share what I know about how to introduce them slowly. You have to start with B1 and then B2, B9, B12, B6. Stop using potassium. It's not good to supplement. Can cause a bunch of problems. Make sure the salt is not Himalayan or any of that overpriced salt. Morton iodized salt is the best. No iodine if thyroid issues.

jack,

I am so sorry you are going through this -- had you ever had these kind of issues before?  I'm glad you are getting things checked out ---

Mahue - is there a way to be sure we are staying on top of our electrolytes and B vitamins through food and natural sources? I am on 15mg of mirt and not tapering yet but still tapering Xanax but want to be paying attention -- I do tend to salt my food and eat gluten free crackers that have salt on them ---- and drink a coconut water each day

jack,

what is the akathesia like -- are you pacing and moving?  when did that start?  you were tapering slowly, I thought -- did you speed up at the end....I can't remember.  praying for you pal

jack,

what is the akathesia like -- are you pacing and moving?  when did that start?  you were tapering slowly, I thought -- did you speed up at the end....I can't remember.  praying for you pal

It’s pacing. I can’t tell if it is true akathisia or just anxiety. When I am anxious I pace. I have always done that. I went too fast at the end. My taper was 2 years. It is very important to take the last amount painfully slow.

[e7...]
For info. Im tapering mirtaz from 15 mg of 2 yrs. Liquid here uk. 1ml is equiv to 15mg tab. Been reducing 0.1 ml week. Now held at 3 2 weeks now gone down to 0.25. Ive tapered zop and that when i got bad. I.e. go high eating carbs . Still on 0.5 clonaz. But if too many carbs cant sleep. If i do sleep its not right through.  If no sleep i cant lay still arms legs head everywhere wide awake..thats the carbs. I cant do ketobas gastritis. I am in pain eating and feels im not digestinf food. Also whenbeaten too many carbs orveven feuit i get sexual urges still drive me nuts. Or i may fall aslerp only to pee in night then cant keep still again and thrashing everywhere and urges. I am prob diabetic now as being tested. I also wake up and then crash and cant move so weak. Then it will burn in my back and my sugars go up and my strength returns. Often in bed till gone 1. If this is life its not very nice. Gone on a long time. Im trying to cut carbs and just have veg but i still get cery hungry ...thats what mirtaz done to me made me eat waybtoo much bad stuff. I think whenndown to last drop i wont sleep but know now carbs sugar and food affects my sleep which when on zop mirtaz clonaz it didnt.

[91...]

I think I have found a few things that might be going on with us after scanning through some scientific articles.

Remeron seems to do something to electrolyte balance and my belief is that it sucks up sodium more than usual.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4118545/

I also believe that Remeron prevents an increase in glucose so when we don't eat at certain times we are going into a borderline sugar crash.  Hence why we ALWAYS feel hungry, because Remeron is dropping our blood sugars low that we constantly need to et to get them back up. Aka hypoglycemia (type 2 diabetes).

I use blood glucose and keto meter to check and my glucose levels are always lower than they should be. I am doing a carnivore diet to fix my insulin and metabolic issues, etc. Right now my liver needs to learn to make glucose from protein.

I also have severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies and major gut dysbiosis, which is the reason I am doing carnivore until my gut is healed and I can start absorbing my food properly. I ate a perfect diet for 4 years and I still have severe deficiencies so my gut is a mess.  The B-Vitamins are the main ones. I believe that methylation problems and vitamin/mineral deficiencies dictate the severity and length of healing in each individual. Why would someone heal in 6 months and the other in 14 years?

Just throwing out some ideas. Feel free to chime in.

Hi everyone - yeah I’ve got gut issues - sometimes feels like i live on immodium - TMI sorry. I’m thinking of taking a probiotic - does anyone think that would help?

PPY,

A probiotic has helped me quite a bit, I use garden of life primal defense that I buy on Amazon, has many strains in it.  Don’t think it would hurt to try.

jack,

I am so sorry you are going through this -- had you ever had these kind of issues before?  I'm glad you are getting things checked out ---

Mahue - is there a way to be sure we are staying on top of our electrolytes and B vitamins through food and natural sources? I am on 15mg of mirt and not tapering yet but still tapering Xanax but want to be paying attention -- I do tend to salt my food and eat gluten free crackers that have salt on them ---- and drink a coconut water each day

I have never been this sick before in my life. I am not being dramatic in saying that I am dying. I am just praying I can figure out why I am dying before it happens. It is hard because this covid era health care system is a joke. I can not get help. How I a 40 year old guy who has a family with SEVERE malnutrition and can’t work and is on the verge of losing his house, health insurance and home is not a priority is beyond me. I have never experienced such neglect in my life. I still have another week to get into the gastro and I have waited 2 weeks already. It’s messed up. They are going to let me die. They just don’t care anymore. I feel the docs have given up.

[91...]

jack,

I have never been this sick before in my life. I am not being dramatic in saying that I am dying. I am just praying I can figure out why I am dying before it happens. It is hard because this covid era health care system is a joke. I can not get help. How I a 40 year old guy who has a family with SEVERE malnutrition and can’t work and is on the verge of losing his house, health insurance and home is not a priority is beyond me. I have never experienced such neglect in my life. I still have another week to get into the gastro and I have waited 2 weeks already. It’s messed up. They are going to let me die. They just don’t care anymore. I feel the docs have given up.

You won't get help from allopathic medicine. If I were you I would find a functional medicine doctor.

Day 6 after cut to 3.2 and no sleep last night, typical for day 6.  Other symptoms are tolerable so far, going to hold at this 3.2 dose and see if sleep stabilizes.

So I got my blood test results back. My b vitamins were okay except B6. My B6 levels were toxic all the way up to 91. I have never taken a B6 supplement or a multivitamin. However, the night before the test I took 50 mg of B6 in the form of P5P. I was unaware I was going to have bloodwork the next day. Could taking that supplement which is the active form or B6 have caused my B6 levels to come up super high the next morning? I am sure we are going to retest this. I am really scared because being that I do not take B6 ever if this test is right I have no way to bring the level down.

I think it is possible, but you will not know until you retest. P5P is the active form of B6 so could be available in the body pretty soon. A 50 mg dose is a pretty normal daily dose though I believe, so I can see why you are worried. Something to check is if B6 is in your melatonin supplement. It is sometimes added because it can help your body produce melatonin naturally. I have no idea how high 91 is. I'm in Europe, so lab work is a little different here. Hope this helps.