Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Bout ya Jack,

I'm hoping I wasn't in to deep pal but if so I pray symptoms arnt ti bad.

Cheers ppl for all replies really appreciated

BB.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[0b...]
Just take it slow with the Remeron, it’s not like benzo’s where we go into tolerance withdrawal , it might take me 5 years to get off the 12 mg I’m on now but it’s not doing me any harm and it might be helping me get through the end of this benzo withdrawal disaster.

Hi all - looking for bit of advice. Am struggling with the Diaz withdrawal - aren’t we all! - 10 weeks since last dose, no windows. Feeling rubbish - not slept for long time, and muscle pains and burning, i am so weak.

So 6 days ago went on mirt - last 3 at 3.75mg. Still feeling rubbish - maybe muscle pains worse, and still not sleeping, though agitation is less. Nausea, and boatiness.

Thinking of going to 7.5mg, and then if no improvement doing c/t off?

What do you think - try the 7.5mg or get out now?

If stop on sunday I’ll have been on it 11 days - do you think I can c/t or do mini taper?

Thanks ever so much, and hang on in there.

L

Welcome beardybloke and good luck with your taper. PPY, I’m sorry for what you are going through, sorry I don’t have any advice for you, I’ve never taken Valium.

I am starting day 4 of my cut to 3.7 and things are about the same as usual with a cut, going to hold on at this dose for a little bit before trying to cut a little more.  Doc is pushing me to finish this taper and get off the mirtazapine, I am scheduled for surgery nov 22 and he would like me off by that time.  Told him don’t think that’s going to be possible but I’ll do what I can.  He thinks I am playing around with this taper instead of just stopping it. 

Hi Jasmin - i don’t think a lot of doctors understand what we’re going through. Interestingly mine has just got back to me - and said I mustn’t go up - either stay steady or come down. Think will go down to 1.875mg, with view to maybe jumping off. Very best to you. We are warriors for going through this.

Day 6 of 3.7 dose and still feeling cruddy, sleep has gone from its normal bad to terrible again, only 2 hours last night.  Going to try to hold at this dose until things improve, especially sleep.  Hope you’re all finding stablility, especially jack.  Is anyone currently tapering mirtazapine?

Issey, how so for the snails pace, I’m thinking I either need to hold longer or cut smaller, maybe both.  How much are you cutting at a time, how long are you holding, and what’s your current dose if you don’t mind me asking.

[0b...]
I started at 30mg and I am down to 12 mg. Last hold was 4 months, my previous cuts were large and more frequent. My last cut was on 9-4 and it was 13mg to 12mg. When I cut mental benzo sx come back for a couple weeks which makes it almost impossible to work. To me it feels like when I cut benzo symptoms come back and they are not remeron withdrawal so to say.

Yasmin, I hope your sleep improves again. I think Remeron withdrawal does mimic or interfere with benzo withdrawal  That's why I'm so hesitant to start tapering. 13 mg. to 12 mg. is a 8% reduction so that should not destabilize as much. I guess if I start tapering, I will go from 15 to 14 mg. and see how this goes. How are you feeling now Issey?

[0b...]

Yasmin, I hope your sleep improves again. I think Remeron withdrawal does mimic or interfere with benzo withdrawal  That's why I'm so hesitant to start tapering. 13 mg. to 12 mg. is a 8% reduction so that should not destabilize as much. I guess if I start tapering, I will go from 15 to 14 mg. and see how this goes. How are you feeling now Issey?

I feel pretty good now, why do you want to get off the remeron now ?

I want to get off mirtazapine because I have never felt like myself on it.  It gives me heavy daytime fatigue, brain fog and stomach and muscle pain.  Went on it for insomnia caused by some health issues, always on 7.5, slept well the first few weeks but after that sleep wasn’t all that great on it.  Got off once before in June/July by dropping 25percent every 2 weeks per docs instruction, everything was great for the first few days off but then sleep deteriorated to about 2 hours a night so I went back on, my mistake was reinstating at 7.5, should have tried a lower dose.  After getting stable for a few weeks decided to try again. I’m down to 3.7 dose and will be holding for a bit to try to stabilize the sleep.

I feel pretty good now, why do you want to get off the remeron now ?

I feel sedated and tired. The weight gain is also a thing. I can control it, but it takes a lot of effort to always think about what I eat. It's like jasmin says, I don't feel like myself. I used to be a more active person.

Also, when I started this medicine I was actually in benzo withdrawal without knowing it. Now that I quit benzo's (almost 7 months post) I can slowly taper Mirtazapine as well I hope. But at a snails pace like you said. I don't want to destabilize how I feel now, which is better but not 100% yet. If you read my signature you can see how I have been switching between benzo's and Mirtazapine. I think it's because I never tapered properly and there is only one way to find out. ;)

BTW, I made a calculation of the advice of 'Surviving antidepressants' for my own dose. They say you should reduce with 10% and then wait for 4 week to a month before cutting again. They advice to jump at if you tapered 98% of the original dose, which is 0,3 mg. in my case.

If I take four weeks each time:

- It will take a year to get to 3,81 mg.

- Another year to get to 0,97 mg.

- And then till August 2024 to get to 0,3 mg.

You can always go faster if this feels good, but this is what a proper taper looks like, according to 'Surviving antidepressants'. Pretty shocking it still takes 10 months from 0,97 to 0,3 mg. How can you even make such small cuts! I'm going to read about that for future reference. But you will most likely not be affected by the drug that much anymore in such small doses, so that something.

[0b...]
Good ideas, I have noticed that the cuts are easier the farther I get into my benzo healing. I am 34 months off benzos now and I think I will wait to cut again until I am certain I am healed from the benzo damage. I think I will be finally healed from the benzos in the next year as we don't see many people not healed by 4 years and that feels about right to me.

Issey and ox, what symptoms do you get when you make a cut, when do they usually start, when do they usually peak and subside.  I have found that usually things start for me on day 4 after cut, peak at days 6 and 7 and I usually start to feel stabilization starting about day 10.  Usually I get nausea, headache, tinnitus, light anxiety and, the worst for me, insomnia.

[0b...]
When I cut I have a return of some strange benzo mental sx, not anxiety just hard to explain and a hard time to fall a sleep.They usually start around 2 weeks after a cut and last another 2-3 weeks.

I am not tapering yet, but I want to try going from 15 to 14 mg. and see how this goes. If this goes well I might continue. If not I might go back to 15 and wait a while.

I was having some pretty bad muscle tension and pain, but I have been feeling better lately. So I totally get what you are saying Issey about weird benzo symptoms. I believe it takes a long time to return to normal.

Does anyone recommend coming off Mirtazapine 7.5mg at the same time as completing a crossover from K to V?  My PCP wants me off the mirt as he thinks it’s contributing to my intense fatigue and weakness.

Hi Slowandsteady2021,

It depends on how you are feeling I guess. But I think if it was me, I would focus on getting rid of the benzo's first because you are on a timeframe from them due to the possibility of tolerance. I do get the fatigue thing though. Mirtazapine could be causing that. When do you take it? I try to take my dose around 20:00 to make sure I am less groggy during day time.

Slow,

Don’t see anything in your profile about mirtazapine, how long have you been on it and at what doses.

Mirtazapine started Jan 2021 at 7.5. That and Klonopin 0.25 x 3 times daily (earlier in Dec 2020).  Psychiatrist kept moving dose up incrementally until 30. I was a zombie. New PCP (spring 2021) had me taper down to 7.5. I did so probably over 2-3 months. Now I’ve been tapering mirt for abt 3 weeks (15% off) via water titration. Had intended to stay there for another year or so until benzo taper over. Am just now at 84% crossed K to V, so haven’t begun to taper yet.