• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been breaking my 1MGs in Half for some time now.

They are scored, so it is pretty easy.

Breaking the remaining Unscored Half is what is next.

But if dissolving is easier.

Did I read on some posts that  it is not water solvable, so one needs to use at Least 80 proof Vodka?

You only need to use 2ML vodka to dissolve your pill (I'd use the 1mg uncut for accuracy) and then you add 98ML water.  You would use a syringe to pull out a small amt (to be determined based on your taper schedule %) and then you drink the rest.  You could make up a weeks worth of liquid at a time for convenience if you wanted to.  2ML vodka is a tiny, tiny amt but you could use something called PG if you want to.

You to the Titration Board and ask Builder to help you.

Want to transition from short term xanax to xanax xr. How?

I do know from past experience they only last 6 hours. Also, that a 1mg of Xr is not as strong as a regular xanax because its potency is equally spread over 6 hours.

My question is, how much of my regular xanax do I reduce by with each dose? For example, lets say I am on 2 mg of regular xanax. So, if I took 1 mg xr, how much regular xanax should I take with it? (If I was on a 2 mg dose of regular)

Is it a gradual process, where, I day by day cut down the regular dos of xanax, instead of dropping an large amount of regular xanax and replacing it with xr?

Help appreciated.

I do know from past experience they only last 6 hours. Also, that a 1mg of Xr is not as strong as a regular xanax because its potency is equally spread over 6 hours.

My question is, how much of my regular xanax do I reduce by with each dose? For example, lets say I am on 2 mg of regular xanax. So, if I took 1 mg xr, how much regular xanax should I take with it? (If I was on a 2 mg dose of regular)

Is it a gradual process, where, I day by day cut down the regular dos of xanax, instead of dropping an large amount of regular xanax and replacing it with xr?

Help appreciated.

If you have to transition to another benzo, why not valium as it has a long half life.

I have been breaking my 1MGs in Half for some time now.

They are scored, so it is pretty easy.

Breaking the remaining Unscored Half is what is next.

But if dissolving is easier.

Did I read on some posts that  it is not water solvable, so one needs to use at Least 80 proof Vodka?

you can get the average weight of a 1mg pill and then crush 10 pills into a fine powder. then just weigh out your dose on a gemini scale( available at Amazon for 20 bucks) put the dose in a bottle , add some water and drink it right down. I used this method all the way down to .004g and then switched to liquid.

Help appreciated.

If you have to transition to another benzo, why not valium as it has a long half life.

Tried valium prior to xanax, had a very bad reaction. The only option if I want to switch at this point is XR. Looking for guidelines, do not now if I will do this, but would like information on crossing over. This is because the interdose wd is unbearable. TY!

Help appreciated.

Tried valium prior to xanax, had a very bad reaction. The only option if I want to switch at this point is XR. Looking for guidelines, do not now if I will do this, but would like information on crossing over. This is because the interdose wd is unbearable. TY!

Dose as many times a day as you need to. at the end of my taper , I was dosing 5 times per day.

Feeling nervous...uneasy and struggling a bit.

Cutting from 1-1.5mg's per day to .75 -1mg. No rescue doses anymore...not even a "sliver" of X.

Body is certainly objecting.

Feeling nervous...uneasy and struggling a bit.

Cutting from 1-1.5mg's per day to .75 -1mg. No rescue doses anymore...not even a "sliver" of X.

Body is certainly objecting.

That is too large a cut in my opinion.If I was cutting from 1.5, i would go down to 1.4

• 3 months later...

I'm new here, but I suppose I'm eligible for the club. Nova, thanks for bumping up the thread!

I've only been trying to get off Xanax for almost a week now, and I'm just feeling ok today. While I had a few scary moments this morning with an anxiety attack about to strike, I somehow managed to avoid it. Other than that, I continue to have the typical withdrawal effects, particularly muscle pain that affects my back, shoulders, and even into my chest. I seem to have twitches of sorts all over as well, not to mention insomnia. As it says in my signature, I went cold turkey after taking my supposedly last dose on Saturday after being on relatively low doses of Xanax for about six weeks. Of course, I thought it would be much easier to quit, but after about three days of quitting, I began having intense anxiety. So far I've managed to take a small dose (.125mg) every other day since Wednesday, and it seems as though I might be able to tough it out this way. Wednesday's attack was by far the worst so far, so I guess we'll see what each day brings. I obviously don't have the benzo severity as many folks have on this forum, but still, there's no doubt that it's totally disrupted my life in recent days. All I know for certain is that I need to eventually become benzo-free. These drugs are just plain nasty!

Ive made no progress....hence I havnt posted for a while.

I am starting aging tomorrow to try to Taper.

It is mental and physical dependency combined that is getting me. Guess thats pretty common.

Wish me Luck

• 2 weeks later...

you can always ask your pharmacist for smaller dosage pills, that's what i did without informing my GP.  Pharmacists are often quite accommodating as long as they are dispensing the proper daily dosage.

• 2 months later...
I'm hoping someone sees this and there are still people here tapering xanax, because this thread looks pretty old.  I'm new here.  My ex gf has posted a lot on here on my behalf - helpingmyex311, trying to seek help for me.  I finally decided to join myself to get some help.  If you've read her posts you know I was on 4 mgs of Xanax for 9 years. Switched to Valium to taper a year ago. Weaned from 70mgs of Valium to 20. Can't tolerate Valium or Klonopin (I tried switching from Valium to Klonopin last month). Want to switch back to Xanax (since it's my original benzo) and finish my taper. I know this is against the Ashton Manual. I just cannot tolerate Valum any longer. I cannot metabolize it....this was also confirmed by a genesight test.  Is there anyone else having this problem? I would like to go back to Xanax and get 4- .25's a day and break them up to avoid interdose withdrawals or use a liquid titration. Any help anyone? I don't know how many times a day I should dose in order to avoid interdose withdrawals? I'm desperate at this point. I can't continue on Valium. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been a member for a while and didn't know there was a Xanax club.

I want to begin a tapering regimen and keep putting it off because I don't know if a dry or liquid titration.

I know a benzo is a benzo but from what I've heard, Xanax is the most difficult one to wean off of.

Currently, I'm on 1 1/2 mg a day at bedtime for sleep and have been on for 2 1/2 years and am tired of all the inter dose side effects and want to start soon.

If anybody has had success with a tapering done a certain way as opposed to another, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Hi AL,  I dry cut all the way down to .1mg and then did liquid for the rest.

What is your taper plan?  Have you decided how much you will cut or how often?

Hi,

I've been a member for a while and didn't know there was a Xanax club.

I want to begin a tapering regimen and keep putting it off because I don't know if a dry or liquid titration.

I know a benzo is a benzo but from what I've heard, Xanax is the most difficult one to wean off of.

Currently, I'm on 1 1/2 mg a day at bedtime for sleep and have been on for 2 1/2 years and am tired of all the inter dose side effects and want to start soon.

If anybody has had success with a tapering done a certain way as opposed to another, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Hi Al,

Welcome to the Xanax club, not that any of us really want to belong here....

You can see from my sig that I added some Valium to deal with interdose w/d as I tapered Xanax.  If I had to do over again, I think I would have seen if I could dose Xanax a few times per day -- to deal with interdose w/d and not add another benzo.  Then taper one dose at a time.  There are some good threads with lots of information on this forum and some that are scary.... Stay away from the scary ones, and go slowly......The Valium I take works well for interdose w/d  but I think my interdose w/d came mostly from tapering too quickly.  Slowly slowly is that way to get out of these tapers with the best outcomes it appears!

If you or your doc did decide to add a longer acting benzo -- not that the duration of action is longer but that half-life is longer  I still dose the valium 4X a day-- then I would really try to limit the Valium to 2-3 mg.  I find that Valium brings on a fatigue level that is hard to deal with...

Hope that's clear or makes sense -- let me know.

Congratulations btw, on the decision to get off this stuff... :thumbsup:

Hi Lynn and SufferingSixty,

Lynn, I have 1 mg tabs that are scored and have no problem cutting into halves and quarters. Getting a quarter in half can be a little tricky.

If I did a dry taper, I would try to cut one of the quarters into 1/8th's and remove one for the first couple of weeks and would that be too much of a cut?

If I do a liquid, I would dissolve the 1 1/2 in vodka, 3ml + 147ml of water to make a 150 ml solution and a couple of doses.

Then I would pull 1 ml daily and see how it goes..............Some schools of thought here recommend not pulling anything and just make the batch that you need for a week...............Too confusing for me at the moment and I don't want to waste it if it doesn't work.

So that's about it and for me, if I went the dry route, would reducing by 1/8 mg from 1 1/2mg be too big to start?

Thank you both for your responses and I probably don't want to cross over to valium to reduce wd symptoms.

Thanks again,

Al

Hi Lynn and SufferingSixty,

Lynn, I have 1 mg tabs that are scored and have no problem cutting into halves and quarters. Getting a quarter in half can be a little tricky.

If I did a dry taper, I would try to cut one of the quarters into 1/8th's and remove one for the first couple of weeks and would that be too much of a cut?

If I do a liquid, I would dissolve the 1 1/2 in vodka, 3ml + 147ml of water to make a 150 ml solution and a couple of doses.

Then I would pull 1 ml daily and see how it goes..............Some schools of thought here recommend not pulling anything and just make the batch that you need for a week...............Too confusing for me at the moment and I don't want to waste it if it doesn't work.

So that's about it and for me, if I went the dry route, would reducing by 1/8 mg from 1 1/2mg be too big to start?

Thank you both for your responses and I probably don't want to cross over to valium to reduce wd symptoms.

Thanks again,

Al

Al,

I found the liquid too complicated and, frankly, unnecessary until I got down to .1mg.  Can you get the .25mg pills?  I was able to cut these in 1/8ths.  It wasn't easy or too accurate but as long as the pieces/doses even out over a few days I don't think the variation too important.  I didn't notice it.

I don't know if you have to go to that low of a cut at this time.  It looks like it needs to be a lot lower than your last.  I do believe, though, that keeping wd sxs low is the smartest way to do this and may give the best chance at getting off mildly. 

I cut too much during the first part of my taper and suffered needlessly.  I then slowed down to a level where sxs were mild and then continued until I "walked off".

Oh, and, xanax comes in liquid (Alprazolam Intensol) so if/when you want to go that way you can get an rx and have no dissolving.  It's alot easier.

Hi Lynn,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying a 1/8 cut would be too much?..................Also, I called my pharmacy since I had I refill left on a 1mg script and asked if they could double it and they said I would have to get approval from my provider.

Thanks

Hi Lynn,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying a 1/8 cut would be too much?..................Also, I called my pharmacy since I had I refill left on a 1mg script and asked if they could double it and they said I would have to get approval from my provider.

Thanks

Sorry Al, I should have gone back and read your first post.  I mistakenly thought you had made a large cut and had bad wd.  I now see that you are on 1.5mg at night and have yet to begin your taper.

No, I sure don't think .03mgs is too large a cut from 1.5mg.  I was thinking that your current dose was 1.5mg and did think that you could probably cut more than .03mgs.  I think that I would not have had problems cutting even .125mg from that dose.  My problem was that I cut from 8mgs directly to 2mgs and then went from 2mg to 1mg on the next cut.  Ignorance on my part and shockingly bad results, as you might imagine. :o

People are advised, generally, that 5-10% is appropriate.  This would be  .075 to .15 from your present dose.  .03 would be less than half of the low end.  For some this is what is needed due to their individual circumstance.  So, it's impossible to know what is appropriate for you as you have not cut anything.  I might try .0625 (an 1/8th of your .5mg pills).  Cutting those pills into 1/8ths is difficult but doable.  If this went ok you could probably continue with this size cut for a bit, perhaps awhile, even.

I wouldn't worry about future adjustments until you get there.  If things start getting out of hand then it is time to slow down and reduce your cuts.  This is a process of adjusting things as we go.  I was able to continue the .03 cuts until I got to .1 and sxs were more than I wanted (not that we want any!).

I hope this helps and is not too confusing.  Just adjust when necessary and take your time.  Give yourself at least 2 weeks between cuts to recover from the wd and let your brain adjust to the lower amount.  Take longer if you need it.  I waited 30 days between cuts once I got to .3 or so.  Listen to your body and let your sxs dictate your pace.

The pharmacy won't double your rx without your doctor's ok.  Will your doctor cooperate with a slow taper?  Will he rx the .25mg pills?  As I said, the .25's took me all the way to .1 with the cutting into 1/8ths.  Then you can go liquid if need be.