Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How do you work and drive ?

[Tw...]

How do you work and drive? 

I quit benzodiazepines seven weeks ago. I don't trust my brain and my sleep enough to work or drive. The benzodiazepine withdrawal put me and my brain and body through hell. I am scared to drive and to return to work. I am afraid that my brain and my sleep schedule will not work right after all that I have been through. 

• Like 1

[PE...]

Hi olivia. I think you asked this in your old post?

Only you can feel and decide this. If you feel you can be a danger in traffic you shouldn't drive.

If you feel you can't do your duties on work you shouldn't work.

Or if you on both, feel it takes to much on mental pressure on you so you can't cope with either of them. You should be home and take it easy.

Take care.

• Love 1

[Tw...]
1 minute ago, [[P...] said:

Hi olivia. I think you asked this in your old post?

Only you can feel and decide this. If you feel you can be a danger in traffic you shouldn't drive.

If you feel you can't do your duties on work you shouldn't work.

Or if you on both, feel it takes to much on mental pressure on you so you can't cope with either of them. You should be home and take it easy.

Take care.

@[PE...]Thank you for your kindness, understanding, and your compassionate support. Your words are of great help to me. I deeply appreciate your encouragement. 

• Like 1

[PE...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

@[PE...]Thank you for your kindness, understanding, and your compassionate support. Your words are of great help to me. I deeply appreciate your encouragement. 

Back to you Olivia :)

• Love 1

[PE...]

I know what's it like just coming off. Very hard to take decisions etc..

Just do what you feel is doable. But might wait with driving awhile and take a bus or taxi?

[Tw...]
10 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I know what's it like just coming off. Very hard to take decisions etc..

Just do what you feel is doable. But might wait with driving awhile and take a bus or taxi?

Yes it is hard to make decisions. Thank you for understanding! And you gave excellent advice to take a bus or taxi. I appreciate you ALOT @[PE...]

[PE...]
Just now, [[T...] said:

Yes it is hard to make decisions. Thank you for understanding! And you gave excellent advice to take a bus or taxi. I appreciate you ALOT @[PE...]

Thanks for those kind words :))

[Tw...]
35 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Thanks for those kind words :))

Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions on this topic.

[Tw...]

Please comment if anyone else has any feedback on this topic. Thank you 

[Rh...]

I can tell you 100% that if you’re questioning returning to work, then you’re probably not ready.  I made the mistake of returning to work (only a few hours) and knew I probably shouldn’t have, and did anyways, and it set me back into acute. My sleep was thrown back to almost zero, my worst symptoms returned and I even gained a few I never had before.

You’ll know when it’s time and if you’re questioning it, then just wait awhile longer, if you’re able.  I know many people don’t have a choice so if you have to return then take it slow and maybe communicate with your employer that you might need some adjustment time or maybe a less stressful position temporarily?  It’s tough!

As for driving, it’s not only your safety that is in jeopardy, but everyone else on the road too, and if your not sure of yourself then wait on that as well.

I know how much this journey takes from us, and I know how hard it is in all aspects of our lives, but it is temporary and only a season and this too shall pass!

Hang in there!

• Like 1

[An...]

There is times I can’t drive, I smashed into a bollard underground, and rid off two cars: this medication is the devil if you really feel like you can’t drive don’t risk it but if you think you’ll be ok then drive I know it’s hard with responsibility’s but I also had to resign 

[Tw...]
8 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I can tell you 100% that if you’re questioning returning to work, then you’re probably not ready.  I made the mistake of returning to work (only a few hours) and knew I probably shouldn’t have, and did anyways, and it set me back into acute. My sleep was thrown back to almost zero, my worst symptoms returned and I even gained a few I never had before.

You’ll know when it’s time and if you’re questioning it, then just wait awhile longer, if you’re able.  I know many people don’t have a choice so if you have to return then take it slow and maybe communicate with your employer that you might need some adjustment time or maybe a less stressful position temporarily?  It’s tough!

As for driving, it’s not only your safety that is in jeopardy, but everyone else on the road too, and if your not sure of yourself then wait on that as well.

I know how much this journey takes from us, and I know how hard it is in all aspects of our lives, but it is temporary and only a season and this too shall pass!

Hang in there!

@[Rh...] Thank you so much for your feedback. Your advice as well as the validation that you give are extremely helpful. 

Has anyone else had trouble with driving or working? 

[En...]

I am not working since December. I wake up every morning thinking I should be at work today. Mornings are the worst for this. I am feeling it right now. I haven't driven my car in months. It has a flat tire that needs to be fixed but I just dont have it in me to drive. My Dr told me not to worry about work they are doing just fine without me. He said if I died today they would replace me the next day. It is not easy to not feel guilty. I didn't ask for this. I followed my dr prescription. I didnt know the meds would put me in this situation.  I am lucky I dont have to go to work as I have employment insurance. I am the type of person who is hard on myself that I need to be productive. This has been a nightmare for me for 6 months and I still have a ways to go to be completely off these meds. Everytime I make a cut I feel the guilt from withdrawal. At my work I do maintenance and I am the only person who does that work in the building. With me not being at work they have no maintenance person. No one to look after the building equipment. I was the only one with the knowledge. I have apologized to my manager many times. I'm sure it is a huge inconvenience. I just hope I have a job when I return. The guilt is bad some days especially with the warmer weather as I would be busy getting all the cooling equipment for summer ready for operation. I cannot enjoy the nicer warmer sunnier weather without thinking of work. It is tormenting. Today is a bad day for this. Next week I may not feel this way as the withdrawal will ease. Then I need to make another cut next week and it starts all over again. I cant help but think work will not need me when I am ready to return as they would have found a way to make things work without me. I know this may not be true but it is a fear I have. I try to keep myself busy so these thoughts are not so bad. 

Anyone else feel this way as well? The guilt. 

[Tw...]
8 hours ago, [[A...] said:

There is times I can’t drive, I smashed into a bollard underground, and rid off two cars: this medication is the devil if you really feel like you can’t drive don’t risk it but if you think you’ll be ok then drive I know it’s hard with responsibility’s but I also had to resign 

@[An...]I agree that this Benzodiazepine medication is the devil. It has made me and my family's life Hell. Thank you for understanding a person not being able to work or drive. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us. 

[...]
22 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I am not working since December. I wake up every morning thinking I should be at work today. Mornings are the worst for this. I am feeling it right now. I haven't driven my car in months. It has a flat tire that needs to be fixed but I just dont have it in me to drive. My Dr told me not to worry about work they are doing just fine without me. He said if I died today they would replace me the next day. It is not easy to not feel guilty. I didn't ask for this. I followed my dr prescription. I didnt know the meds would put me in this situation.  I am lucky I dont have to go to work as I have employment insurance. I am the type of person who is hard on myself that I need to be productive. This has been a nightmare for me for 6 months and I still have a ways to go to be completely off these meds. Everytime I make a cut I feel the guilt from withdrawal. At my work I do maintenance and I am the only person who does that work in the building. With me not being at work they have no maintenance person. No one to look after the building equipment. I was the only one with the knowledge. I have apologized to my manager many times. I'm sure it is a huge inconvenience. I just hope I have a job when I return. The guilt is bad some days especially with the warmer weather as I would be busy getting all the cooling equipment for summer ready for operation. I cannot enjoy the nicer warmer sunnier weather without thinking of work. It is tormenting. Today is a bad day for this. Next week I may not feel this way as the withdrawal will ease. Then I need to make another cut next week and it starts all over again. I cant help but think work will not need me when I am ready to return as they would have found a way to make things work without me. I know this may not be true but it is a fear I have. I try to keep myself busy so these thoughts are not so bad. 

Anyone else feel this way as well? The guilt. 

@[En...], welcome to Benzobuddies! I'm very glad you've found us and sure you'll have lots of support and interaction with people who are going through the same hard time. 

You shouldn't feel guilty! Never. It's not our fault we got into the mess. The only thing wich we should do is to climb out of the "hole" supporting each other and trying to make use of the torturous experience. 

Good luck to you!)

[jo...]

I too worry about going back to work. I left my last job because of this and finding and starting a new one can be stressfull. Part of me thinks it might help though as being exposed to normal life and people again could maybe help the brain to re-engage. I think this is a common concern for people in our position, but it's a tough call as with many things now we don't know until we try.

[En...]

Yes one fear is what do my co workers think of me being away for so long. I was very dependent on to keep the building working order. My work is supportive of me finding the proper treatment so I can return. My work gave me purpose. Without it i have no purpose but to get better from this nightmare and return to my normal life again. I have been through a lot in the past 6 months. I had akathisia really bad in tolerance from clonozapam. Depression from not being productive. Overthinking from not  being at work for so long. I would only get 3hrs sleep from thinking. I want to go back to work but I dont think I could take everyone asking me what happened. My agoraphobia is getting better. It was really bad a couple of months ago. I have socially withdrawn and the thought of people asking me what happened is overwhelming. 

• Like 1

[jo...]
15 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

Yes one fear is what do my co workers think of me being away for so long. I was very dependent on to keep the building working order. My work is supportive of me finding the proper treatment so I can return. My work gave me purpose. Without it i have no purpose but to get better from this nightmare and return to my normal life again. I have been through a lot in the past 6 months. I had akathisia really bad in tolerance from clonozapam. Depression from not being productive. Overthinking from not  being at work for so long. I would only get 3hrs sleep from thinking. I want to go back to work but I dont think I could take everyone asking me what happened. My agoraphobia is getting better. It was really bad a couple of months ago. I have socially withdrawn and the thought of people asking me what happened is overwhelming. 

I hear you. It is really common to become withdrawn, I mean how can you not when you feel so bad. In my experience some people will get it and others won't. A lot of people have no point of reference to this condition and so find it hard to relate. It isn't reported on in the media as much as other kinds of drugs also so there is just a lack of awareness. All you can do is try to explain to them and if they don't get it then they don't get it. I would try not to worry about it too much as in time people forget anyway I dont think they care that much. Things will eventually return to normal.

[...]
1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

Thank you for the support. It has been drilled into my head from my parents to always be productive. These pills have changed who I am. The way I think. It brings out my OCD very badly. The guilt of not working had been bad enough to keep me awake at night. It has got better with time and I was put on Prozac to help and I believe it is helping me. I look forward to the day I can return to my normal life. This has been a nightmare I cannot wake up from. 

@[En...], oh, i know ocd very well. Got to know it exactly during the tapering. Nasty thing... It's better now though.

I'd suggest that you write your history in your profile,3 stripes upper right, for people here to give you better advice and support, if need be. 

Sure you'll wake up and be back to normal life one day! Wish you smooth tapering and healing!)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[An...]
3 hours ago, [[T...] said:

@[An...]I agree that this Benzodiazepine medication is the devil. It has made me and my family's life Hell. Thank you for understanding a person not being able to work or drive. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us. 

I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling insomnia is also affecting us, how is your sleep? Yes it does affect our families, the ones that love us will understand. Don’t stress, you are only down for a short time this is not forever always remember that you have better days ahead to grow and flourish with in your career! 

[dj...]

I’m not working.  I would be insanely unreliable and it would be way too stressful.  Thankfully I have LTD with my employer.  

I do drive but I absolutely hate driving on the interstate.  Don’t feel safe doing it for long.   I’ll do it if I have to but I basically go slow in the right lane so I can pull off if something happened.  Hyperstimulation.  Everything moving to fast.  

What I will say, and this is in regards to anything, is that during this process I absolutely hate doing things and going to places that are unfamiliar.  It does help just to get acclimated and get a little more comfortable, but that’s not going to stop withdrawal/BIND.  Like, if I were to go back to work, before I started, I would see if I could find some reason to visit the office before I officially started and sit at my desk, in conference rooms, and walk around the building just to get familiar with my surroundings.  I know that sounds crazy but it helps.  That way you aren’t walking into an entirely unfamiliar environment.  I was seeing a girl for a while and I could not sleep at her place.  At all.  It was unfamiliar and couldn’t relax.  I gave her a little insight into my insomnia and she told me to take the guest room and that way I could get could get use to sleeping at her place without someone else in the bed.  Eventually I could sleep in same bed.  

This stuff is so crazy.  If I read what I just wrote 5 years ago I would think this guy is absolutely bonkers. 

• Like 2

[cl...]
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, [[T...] said:

How do you work and drive? 

I quit benzodiazepines seven weeks ago. I don't trust my brain and my sleep enough to work or drive. The benzodiazepine withdrawal put me and my brain and body through hell. I am scared to drive and to return to work. I am afraid that my brain and my sleep schedule will not work right after all that I have been through. 

Didn't mean to quote the first and not sure how to remove but this is what I'm dealing with right now.  I was able to work for the past few years but I've had a setback in October and was too dizzy to return to work.  I have to use walking aids to get around. 

Only you can decide what you can and can't do. I hope your financially able to take time off if you need to! Best of luck! Prayers🙏

Edited by [cl...]

[Co...]

Hello @[cl...]

To edit your post, click the 'meatball' menu (...) at the top-right of the post and select 'edit'.

Immediately below the first quote, on a new line, click backspace (twice) and it should delete the quote. Then click 'save (bottom-right).

[cl...]

Ok thank you.  I'm still learning this new format. I haven't been on in a while.