The Xanax Club, Let Us Know How You Are Feeling Today

[...]

so very sorry to hear of you pain. I would find me one dose and hold for a couple weeks. Then make yourself a good taper plan, go slow and be patient.

I will help you with the taper plan as I have been there. Its not hard once you get it figured out.

Ron

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

:smitten:  Hello Everyone,  just want to tell All My Friends,  that it's nice To To That People are trying to make changes in their lives for the better.

Information for the Wonderful Friends on here is, it's going to take some time to Heal. Everyone's Body is different from the next person.  So, you might heal Faster,  or slower. But everyone will Heal. So whatever You Do, Try not to worry. That will make you Fell badly. And might prolong Your recovery.  Try to stay Positive. And stay busy. As much as you can.  If you don't, your mind will take over. So My Friends,  You have to stay occupied as much as you can.

2, Eat Good Foods!!! Fruits and veggies. You need to get Your mind Working with Your Body again. Green Tea is Good for you. Try to stay away from coffee.  Caffeine is not my choice at all. 

But most of all, you have to Relax. Try Not to Sit or Lay down for times, it will make you think to much. Sleeping is good. But you need to replenish the Chemical that the BENZOS took over for. So Time.

I found that Cherries or Cherry juice is what helped me Restart my Brain's Chemical.  And Remember,  this Doesn't happen over night. Time,  Does Heal.

I will try to Get On the Site 2 or 3 times a week to Answer Questions. And Answer to the best of My Knowledge.  Everyone is Different,  so Recovery Will be Different. But, You Have To Stay Positive, even Threw the Bad Times. Ops,  Cold Weather no So good. It will keep You Inside,  so stay Busy all the Time.

YOU WILL GET BETTER. TIME IS ON YOUR SIDE. AMEN

ROCKET

Where is solid scientific information that gaba receptors "HEAL" from benzo damage? I have searched and found none. I don't know where this notion that benzo receptors "HEAL" from benzo damage came from but I find spreading this notion among BB members may cause disastrous results for them, their quality of life and harm for those who depend upon them for their ability to provide for their dependents' economic and emotional support. In short: Where does the notion come from that people HEAL from neurological damage by ceasing to use benzos? Anyone?

There are a couple of studies. I am referring you to the one done by Heather Ashton. She did significant clinical work on the issue, and pioneered the tapering methods we use today.

The page is part of an extensive free online book. Please look at table 2, it gives the rates of recovery after withdraw. 48% were completely healed.

https://benzo.org.uk/ashbzoc.htm

To be fair, I think it's gong to be at least another decade or two before we have any real answers to this. Logically speaking, we barely have doctors who are even remotely knowledgeable about deprescribing  benzodiazepines let alone long term studies of their affects -  whether they be short or long term. All we can go on are the stories of those who have taken this clsss of drug and come off them.

To make things more complicated there are various reasons for which they were initially prescribed. If you had generalized anxiety with or without panic attacks there's a good chance that the underlying issue will still need to be addressed. Some were given these for insomnia. That may or may not still be present. While others were given them for restless leg without ever having anxiety issues. You see where I'm going? There simply aren't enough long term studies to make a concrete statement either way. However I'm happy that this is coming to the forefront so that generations after us don't have to suffer the way we are. 

I continue to pray for recovery based on the many positive stories of so many others who have gotten their lives back. If not for those, I would have stayed on these forever.

Best to all!

Lori

There are a couple of studies. I am referring you to the one done by Heather Ashton. She did significant clinical work on the issue, and pioneered the tapering methods we use today.

The page is part of an extensive free online book. Please look at table 2, it gives the rates of recovery after withdraw. 48% were completely healed.

baddove, i have read that study many times. the 48 percent figure refers to Ashton's subjective description of her patients that she classified as having "excellent" results following withdrawal from benzos. she described those patients as still having "minimal symptoms"  including still feeling "a little shaky". Ashton did not say the patients "healed" nor did she say gaba receptors that were damaged or changed as a result of benzo use "healed". Anyone else have scientific evidence to share?

baddove, i have read that study many times. the 48 percent figure refers to Ashton's subjective description of her patients that she classified as having "excellent" results following withdrawal from benzos. she described those patients as still having "minimal symptoms"  including still feeling "a little shaky". Ashton did not say the patients "healed" nor did she say gaba receptors that were damaged or changed as a result of benzo use "healed". Anyone else have scientific evidence to share?

I'm not sure how my response posted above this post. 🤷🏼‍♀️

To be fair, I think it's gong to be at least another decade or two before we have any real answers to this. Logically speaking, we barely have doctors who are even remotely knowledgeable about deprescribing  benzodiazepines let alone long term studies of their affects -  whether they be short or long term. All we can go on are the stories of those who have taken this clsss of drug and come off them.

To make things more complicated there are various reasons for which they were initially prescribed. If you had generalized anxiety with or without panic attacks there's a good chance that the underlying issue will still need to be addressed. Some were given these for insomnia. That may or may not still be present. While others were given them for restless leg without ever having anxiety issues. You see where I'm going? There simply aren't enough long term studies to make a concrete statement either way. However I'm happy that this is coming to the forefront so that generations after us don't have to suffer the way we are. 

I continue to pray for recovery based on the many positive stories of so many others who have gotten their lives back. If not for those, I would have stayed on these forever.

Best to all!

Lori

My hope is that people's careers, their quality of life and possible negative consequences upon their families' lives are not ruinous based upon unproven hope and faith they may receive from some BB posts that people "HEAL" by discontinuing long-term benzo use.

:laugh:

Hello My Friends. Hope that Everyone is Feeling a Little Better Today.  Just Giving a Shout Out, That there Was a Special Progam that was on TV, and on CNN, with Lisa Ling. It Talked about the Benzodiazepine Addictions of Today. It is very important and interesting for Everyone to Watch. 

This might Help You out with some Good Facts.

Rocket

:laugh:

Hello My Friends. Hope that Everyone is Feeling a Little Better Today.  Just Giving a Shout Out, That there Was a Special Progam that was on TV, and on CNN, with Lisa Ling. It Talked about the Benzodiazepine Addictions of Today. It is very important and interesting for Everyone to Watch. 

This might Help You out with some Good Facts.

Rocket

From "Benzos in the News" section, someone shared this link in association with Ling's piece:

Physician Assistant Commentary on Lisa Ling's "The Benzo Crisis" Episode:

Lori

My hope is that people's careers, their quality of life and possible negative consequences upon their families' lives are not ruinous based upon unproven hope and faith they may receive from some BB posts that people "HEAL" by discontinuing long-term benzo use.

Fi, I remember you from the thread that I created almost 7 months ago. At that time you stated that you decided to updose and stop tapering in order to be functional for your loved ones, etc.  I certainly respect your decision. However, although you make some logical points (as I addressed above) it doesn't seem that you support the idea of continuing to taper or more importantly the mere notion of complete healing. While I understand your concerns, I don't think that it's necessarily a form of "support" or encouragement for those on this Xanax Support thread.

While we all have a right to complain, question the process, be frustrated, have lousy days, etc. I don't think it's productive for us to read repeated posts about not healing or possibly not being there/functional for our families, etc.  It's not "supportive" nor does it offer any encouragement to the process of tapering... which the rest of us are doing. Just food for thought.

Best to you!

Lori

Lori

Fi, I remember you from the thread that I created almost 7 months ago. At that time you stated that you decided to updose and stop tapering in order to be functional for your loved ones, etc.  I certainly respect your decision. However, although you make some logical points (as I addressed above) it doesn't seem that you support the idea of continuing to taper or more importantly the mere notion of complete healing. While I understand your concerns, I don't think that it's necessarily a form of "support" or encouragement for those on this Xanax Support thread.

While we all have a right to complain, question the process, be frustrated, have lousy days, etc. I don't think it's productive for us to read repeated posts about not healing or possibly not being there/functional for our families, etc.  It's not "supportive" nor does it offer any encouragement to the process of tapering... which the rest of us are doing. Just food for thought.

Best to you!

Lori

I understand your concern to provide emotional support for those suffering from benzo related illnesses, including w/d'g from benzos. I empathize with that concern more than you seem to realize.

However, I believe proliferating misleading notions as matters of fact, such as "everyone heals from benzo w/d with time", may increase harm to some patients, their families and their loved ones. I am especially concerned for newbies to BB who rush into withdrawing from benzos without weighing the possible risks against the possible benefits. I have noticed that BB newbies are increasingly being directed to this thread, often from their introductory posts. IMO, persons suffering from benzo related illnesses including benzo w/d will be better served with well documented science than unsubstantiated notions. So, I hope you will understand that my efforts to inform patients of the risks associated with w/d'g from benzos are well intentioned efforts of support, especially for those people who are new to benzo w/d symptoms.

As I recently stated in this thread, I have found no scientific studies that support the notion that a majority of people who have neurologically damaged/altered benzodiazepine receptors "heal" with time after w/d'g from benzos, including Professor Ashton's above referenced link to her case study of 50 patients. However, I will remain hopeful to finding well documented scientific evidence related to these matters. 

Sincere Best Wishes to One & All

Lori

Best to you!

Lori

I understand your concern to provide emotional support for those suffering from benzo related illnesses, including w/d'g from benzos. I empathize with that concern more than you seem to realize.

However, I believe proliferating misleading notions as matters of fact, such as "everyone heals from benzo w/d with time", may increase harm to some patients, their families and their loved ones. I am especially concerned for newbies to BB who rush into withdrawing from benzos without weighing the possible risks against the possible benefits. I have noticed that BB newbies are increasingly being directed to this thread, often from their introductory posts. IMO, persons suffering from benzo related illnesses including benzo w/d will be better served with well documented science than unsubstantiated notions. So, I hope you will understand that my efforts to inform patients of the risks associated with w/d'g from benzos are well intentioned efforts of support, especially for those people who are new to benzo w/d symptoms.

As I recently stated in this thread, I have found no scientific studies that support the notion that a majority of people who have neurologically damaged/altered benzodiazepine receptors "heal" with time after w/d'g from benzos, including Professor Ashton's above referenced link to her case study of 50 patients. However, I will remain hopeful to finding well documented scientific evidence related to these matters. 

Fi,

You have made your point. Drop it. Your are bordering on being prescriptive, and your numerous posts insisting there is no evidence that people heal from benzo's is neither accurate nor helpful.  Several people have politely pointed you to studies, yet you don't appear to see them as viable.

You can cite your concerns, but your turning it into a soap box. Please stop.

There is evidence, but not in the quantity that is needed that people do indeed heal. Most  information comes from those who pioneered in treating this problem, and, yes, their results are a mix of both scientific data (it is very hard to look in the brain at receptors and see what is going on.) and anecdotal information coming from clients.They have used the best science they could, namely following patients and clients through the years and documenting their progress.

Additionally, many people have tapered off psychiatric drugs and recovered well enough to have a normal life. That information is anecdotal, but is prolific.

Numerous practitioners who were both dependent and damaged by benzo's, got off off them, and then started treating clients have reams of data. Baylissa is one such therapist. Their are many.

It is not appropriate for you to insist that many people do not heal with no substantive evidence of your own. What data exists supports that the majority do heal significantly.

As a moderator, this is a warning, You are very welcome to cite your own experience, and ask questions that are important, and the rate of benzo recovery is an important question. However, you are not asking but rather declaring that benzo dependence is a situation from which their is no evidence of recovery. Any further comments in that spirit will be referred to the other moderators.

In the spirit of peace, I am warning you here in the forum and not taking this to the mod community. Tell us your story, ask questions, but cease from making point blank assertions that have no evidence and pushing it anymore.

Thank you

Cutting my xanax today after letting it ride for a while. I have been getting lots of paradox doses, which is usually corrected by a cut.

Could really use some encouragement that I am strong enough and can handle this. Just need some support, thanks friends.

Cutting my xanax today after letting it ride for a while. I have been getting lots of paradox doses, which is usually corrected by a cut.

Could really use some encouragement that I am strong enough and can handle this. Just need some support, thanks friends.

baddove, Will you elaborate on what paradoxical symptoms you are experiencing? Best Wishes on your journey! :)

Thanks Fi.

My entire time on benzo's has been riddled with paradox doses. That is, they do the opposite of what a dose should do. They increase my symptoms horribly, and I have wait it out until the dose is done. Reducing the dose usually corrects the problem.  it has not been a good medication for me. I also needed to take a large dose to get a result, hence my high dosage.

I was put on it to get through introducing an antidepressant. I had a severe reaction to the antidepressant, and after 2 weeks, told my P Doc no more. Unfortunately, I had been using prescribed xanax every day several times to get through the adjustment to an antidepressant.

I was getting some relief from GAD and PTSD on it. That quickly changed, and the xanax became nasty, but I already was dependent on it. That's when I had to find a way off, and have been tapering for a long time. I had 2 setbacks, and this is actually my 3ed taper. Hopefully, nothing rocks the apple cart and I can just get on with it.

Doing well today on my reduction, but I know it can take time for the CNS to have a fit, however, I have to drop the dose to get out of the paradox, and also to move the taper along.

Hope all is well with you.

Hello All-

I have bee now holding my dose as seen in my last signature update, due to a series of very stressful situations going on.  I left the solitude of my country home, and came to my cottage in the city....to a mold infestation from a failure of air circulation.  During the laborious clean up, some tree roots caused my main sewer drain to stop up.  I was unable to discard any water down my drains during clean up, couldn’t run washer, flush stool, shower....NOTHING.  This 13 days of catastrophe has cost me a substantial amount of money, which is devastating when on a fixed income. 

But how am I feeling?  My body is responding to lower doses, and I’m noticing that, when in situations that would normally cause me horrible panic and anxiety, I’m quickly learning to rationalize the situation, and use mental coping mechanisms, or just remove myself from the situation.  I am now slowly being able to fall asleep for short periods, now that I’m done with Ambien.  I still benefit from Melatonin, and I have to “decompress” before trying to sleep, but it’s getting better. 

Less than 3 months ago, I was taking more than twice the dose I’m at currently, and i can’t complain about serene sxs.  I DO have sxs, but I am handling them as best I can.  I think the serenity and remoteness of my country lake home is better to taper....less noise, stress, people, and just the general “hurry” most city people experience.  I will be going back to the country soon, to continue my taper, I wish all of us had a quiet place to heal.  Im blessed to have that place. 

For anyone who must taper directly off Xanax, I can only say....try to keep yourself busy with GENTLE activities.  Try to fill those hours before the next dose with something that may cause you to forget what time it is.  On 2 occasions in the last week, I have gotten so engrossed in my art, that I was late taking my scheduled dose for over 2 hours. 

I expected to be miserable during this taper, but as yet I’ve had some days I was quite uncomfortable, but MANY days of improvement.  With determination, and CONSTANTLY practicing coping skills, if anyone wants off this med, it can be done.  If the mindset is the “prize” of healing and freedom from the pill....instead of fear of what one MIGHT feel, like uncomfortable sxs, it gives me confidence and determination to move forward, and look enthusiastically toward my next cut. 

Much compassion for all who are struggling!

EDIT-

“and i can’t complain about serene sxs.  I DO have sxs, but I am handling them as best I can.

THIS SENTENCE should have read, “severe sxs”.  I apologize for not properly proofreading my typing!  😊

Anyone start their day with a rapid heart rate and chest tightness? I know the mornings are hard, but every time I make a cut, this happens on day 3. It takes about 3 hours to calm down. Just comparing an sxs.

Still stuck on 1.5mg

And still no input on HOW to taper off "@ night for sleep".

Basicly suffering id/wd in order to have 1mg to knock me out.

Have asked Pdoc if Trazodone will work for sleep.

Frustrated, but hanging on

LC

Still stuck on 1.5mg

And still no input on HOW to taper off "@ night for sleep".

Basically suffering id/wd in order to have 1mg to knock me out.

Have asked Pdoc if Trazodone will work for sleep.

Frustrated, but hanging on

LC

pdoc put me on seroquel for sleep. It is another addictive psych med with side affects. however, it was the most benign med I could tolerate. It makes you fat, but on the plus side, as an anti-psychotic, it acts as a neuro modulator. I sleep , it's quits broken up, ad I redose it through the night, but it gets me through.

Perhaps something to consider.

Lori

Best to you!

Lori

Fi,

You have made your point. Drop it. Your are bordering on being prescriptive, and your numerous posts insisting there is no evidence that people heal from benzo's is neither accurate nor helpful.  Several people have politely pointed you to studies, yet you don't appear to see them as viable.

You can cite your concerns, but your turning it into a soap box. Please stop.

There is evidence, but not in the quantity that is needed that people do indeed heal. Most  information comes from those who pioneered in treating this problem, and, yes, their results are a mix of both scientific data (it is very hard to look in the brain at receptors and see what is going on.) and anecdotal information coming from clients.They have used the best science they could, namely following patients and clients through the years and documenting their progress.

Additionally, many people have tapered off psychiatric drugs and recovered well enough to have a normal life. That information is anecdotal, but is prolific.

Numerous practitioners who were both dependent and damaged by benzo's, got off off them, and then started treating clients have reams of data. Baylissa is one such therapist. Their are many.

It is not appropriate for you to insist that many people do not heal with no substantive evidence of your own. What data exists supports that the majority do heal significantly.

As a moderator, this is a warning, You are very welcome to cite your own experience, and ask questions that are important, and the rate of benzo recovery is an important question. However, you are not asking but rather declaring that benzo dependence is a situation from which their is no evidence of recovery. Any further comments in that spirit will be referred to the other moderators.

In the spirit of peace, I am warning you here in the forum and not taking this to the mod community. Tell us your story, ask questions, but cease from making point blank assertions that have no evidence and pushing it anymore.

Thank you

Amen...