Lincbasket's lorazapam withdrawal help

[Li...]

goodmorning, i switched to 3x's a day like 3days ago. i was on .5 2x's a day, the witdrawals s/x's were happening after 5pm and on. i dont see how changing 2 3x's a day would help since i was getting the w/d s/x's after my 3pm dose. what if it was just that i had built up a tolerence? the first day i noticed all of the s/x's it had felt like if i didnt even take the .5mgs of the orazepam at 3pm... i couldnt wait till 10pm so that i could take the other .5mgs to see if it was w/d s/x's...

I think you probably have built up a tolerance, and, you will see after reading the document Theresa linked you to, that the only solution for that is to get off the drug safely.  Here is what I posted on 9/13 in response to your question about what is causing your anxiety:

I think it's difficult to tell what anxiety is caused by when on benzos, whether or not you are tapering.  You can become tolerant of benzos and start having withdrawal symptoms without even reducing your dose.  That's what happened to many of us and led us to the decision to taper off of them.  Of course, we all have to learn new ways of coping with the problems for which the benzos were originally prescribed.  In your case, it sounds like anxiety and panic were the reasons you were prescribed a benzo in the first place.  No matter what's causing it, the coping techiques are the same. 

A couple of other members have recently posted about the racing heartbeat and it is a common w/d symptom.  The important thing is not to get more anxious about it which causes an additional release of adrenaline, faster heartbeat and more anxiety.  You can see that it can become a vicious cycle.  Have you looked into some of the techinques for coping with anxiety on the Anxiety and Panic board? 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

Theresa2 suggested you try splitting up your doses so you take them every 8 hours so you might try that to see if things even out a bit more during the day. 

Try to calm yourself to the degree that you can.  Some mild exercise, like a long walk, can help use up the excesds adrenaline.  Chamomille tea can be calming as well without causing dependence or side effects.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

can i cut .25mgs to my .5mgs or is that a big cut?

Hi Linc,

That would be a 25% cut. We recommend about 10% off your total dose every 7-14 days.

T2 :smitten:

oh ok another ? which dose should i cut off the first .125

Hi Linc,

Cut the dose you need the least or off the largest dose to make things more even. It's your choice.

oh ok another ? which dose should i cut off the first .125

Hi Lincbasket,

I haven't been following your taper very closely and it doesn't look like your signature is up to date, so can you tell me what dose you are on now, and what size pills you are using?

When deciding on which dose to cut, it's usually dependant on when you need your largest dose the most. For instance, if you have trouble sleeping, it's best to start your cuts from a morning or daytime dose.

Im now taking .25 at 7am .25 3pm and .5 at 10pm. i was currently on .5 2x's a day but t2 and beeper suggested me to take it 3x's a day. So i have been taking it 3x's a day now for 3 days now...

Im now taking .25 at 7am .25 3pm and .5 at 10pm. i was currently on .5 2x's a day but t2 and beeper suggested me to take it 3x's a day. So i have been taking it 3x's a day now for 3 days now...

Thanks Linc. Since you just made this change to 3 times a day, why don't you give your body a few more days to a adjust to this before your next cut.

I would say the best one to cut from would be the larger evening dose, (unless you are having trouble sleeping) in order to keep your blood levels more even thruout the day.

What size pill are on? 0.5mg pills are the smallest lorazepam comes in, so it's best for direct tapering. As you get lower of course, your cut percentage  will grow, there is no avoiding that unless you switch to liquid titration. Even with that method, though at a smaller rate, the percentage of cuts will grow with each reduction. Otherwise you'd never get off!

i currently have the 1mg pills. i was told i can crush a .25mg quarter and just divide it into two piles and just take one making it .125 correct? im so ready to start because my mom doesnt understand cold turkey or detox is not the way to go!!!

i currently have the 1mg pills. i was told i can crush a .25mg quarter and just divide it into two piles and just take one making it .125 correct? im so ready to start because my mom doesnt understand cold turkey or detox is not the way to go!!!

You've got it right, LB.  :thumbsup:

Goodmorning, Do any of you have any idea how a detox center take you off benzo's? Has any one of ya went to one for benzo help?

[5f...]

Goodmorning, Do any of you have any idea how a detox center take you off benzo's? Has any one of ya went to one for benzo help?

I'm going to throw my two cents in here... I've heard only horror stories about detox centers. I wanted to do the same thing, thinking they knew what they were doing, but apparently it's way too rapid and the drugs they use to detox are AWFUL. This isn't intended to scare you... but those places are bad news... :(

Linc, sorry.  I saw your shout first.

Many people have been to the detox centers and have come out worse than they went in.  They put you on more drugs trying to mask the wd symptoms and it just doesn't work. 

My husband kept wanting me to go to a clinic to "find out what's wrong" and the truth is the only thing that will help is getting off the drugs and time.  You can do certain things to help make the symptoms not quite so severe like eating a healthy diet, no fast foods, no processed foods, no supplements etc.  There are quite a few threads on what to do to help make you feel as good as you can while healing, just look in Withdrawal Support and you should find some good ones.

Hope you feel better today....we take it one day at a time around here  :)

how did jan's rapid taper go i see she tapered in 11 days? does anyone know?

I'm not sure who you are talking about.  Can you post a link to their thread or give more information?

A rapid taper or a cold turkey is not a good idea, withdrawal symptoms can be much worse and last a lot longer. 

Goodmorning, Do any of you have any idea how a detox center take you off benzo's?

It depends on where you live and who (you? insurance?) is paying.  It is usually done in less than a week.  Here's what Dr. Ashton had to say about withdrawing, including doing it at a detox center. Maybe you can show this to your mother.  You know about Dr. Heather Ashton, right?:

Get into the right frame of mind.

Be confident - you can do it.  If in doubt, try a very small reduction in dosage for a few days (for example, try reducing your daily dosage by about one tenth or one eighth; you may be able to achieve this by halving or quartering one of your tablets). You will probably find that you notice no difference. If still in doubt, aim at first for dosage reduction rather than complete withdrawal. You will probably wish to continue once you have started.

Be patient. There is no need to hurry withdrawal. Your body (and brain) may need time to readjust after years of being on benzodiazepines. Many people have taken a year or more to complete the withdrawal. So don't rush, and, above all, do not try to stop suddenly.

Choose your own way - don't expect a "quick fix". It may be possible to enter a hospital or special centre for "detoxification". Such an approach usually involves a fairly rapid withdrawal, is medically "safe" and may provide psychological support. Such centres may be suitable for a small minority of people with difficult psychological problems. However, they often remove the control of withdrawal from the patient and setbacks on returning home are common, largely because there has been no time to build up alternative living skills. Slow withdrawal in your own environment allows time for physical and psychological adjustments, permits you to continue with your normal life, to tailor your withdrawal to your own lifestyle, and to build up alternative strategies for living without benzodiazepines.

Hi Linc,

Based on the fact that Jan stopped her benzo use in January 19, 2003 and her posting didn't begin here until June 3, 2004, we have no idea how she felt over this time, but based on reading her posts of over 5,000, she did suffer for her rapid taper. You can read her posts by clicking on "show the last posts of this person".

This is the best forum and support group for benzo's!!! I would really hate for you guys to close it down. This is the only place i turn to with all my benzo horror. If we dont have you all thats been there then how do we keep positive and want to continue with out great tapers? Without the support and help from you all that have been there, i will not be able to taper smoothly or even at all i need you all for the support on good days and bad days thanks!!!

LB -  :mybuddy:

IF the forum closes, it won't be for months so just get going on your taper, okay?  Also, there are some other support forums (not as good as this one, of course  ;) ) and I know Colin will post information about them for all those who still need support or information before he would close this one.

Hey Lincbasket,

I started getting some anxiety when I read about BB possibly having to shut down. But like Beeper said, it would be a couple of months IF it did, and we should try to focus on our individual tapers right now. We also need to keep positive attitudes about everything, which can only help, not hinder our tapering process. Let's keep encouraging each other to finish our fight against benzos and not to worry about tomorrow....one day at a time!  :thumbsup: How are you doing with your tapering?

Lori

This is the best forum and support group for benzo's!!! I would really hate for you guys to close it down. This is the only place i turn to with all my benzo horror. If we dont have you all thats been there then how do we keep positive and want to continue with out great tapers? Without the support and help from you all that have been there, i will not be able to taper smoothly or even at all i need you all for the support on good days and bad days thanks!!!

Linc, don't worry about the forum.  We are working to keeping it open, so concentrate on yourself and getting off these drugs.  ;)

Hi Linc,

You cut 10% from your overall daily dose.  If this is your first dose or you didn't cut any of your other doses then yes, cut 10% tonight.

Good Luck!!