Lincbasket's lorazapam withdrawal help

[Li...]

The only thing i have done is started to take .5 twice a day instead of 1mg a day because when i would take the 1mg the w/s would catch up to me later in the day or night... yes i went to the er after having a racing heart for three nights straight when i got there they gave me 5mg of valium the nurse saw that i calmed down so she prescribed me to lorazepam for whenever i needed it. at times i would get panic attacks and anxiety but not lately until now

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Th...]

• [Lo...]

• [Be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i have done is started to take .5 twice a day instead of 1mg a day because when i would take the 1mg the w/s would catch up to me later in the day or night... yes i went to the er after having a racing heart for three nights straight when i got there they gave me 5mg of valium the nurse saw that i calmed down so she prescribed me to lorazepam for whenever i needed it. at times i would get panic attacks and anxiety but not lately until now

Linc,

When do you notice that the anxiety starts? Is is right before you are due to take your dose? I recommended in an earlier post that you might try taking .25mg am, .25 afternoon, .50 at night, keeping dosage on an 8 hour interval. Did you go to doctor yet, you mentioned you were going?

T2 :smitten:

I have it through out the day but more like around in the evening after 4 or 5 and it lasts until night time im confused and no i havent made any cuts im going to the doc maybe today if there open at night its worst but i refuse to take more than what im taking now does anxiety caused by a new job go away or am i stuck with it forever i quit already i started that job in april and my first panic attack or anxiety attack like in june so i quit after getting them everyday but first i started taking the lorazepam then i quit because i had the withdrawal symptoms which i was unfamiliar with at the time (fatigue and a headache)

HI, Lincbasket.  :therethere:

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're saying.  Maybe some punctuation would help?

I've been searching through the previous posts to see how much of which benzo you are takin when and you know what would help a lot? Adding your benzo information to your signature box.  You can see what Theresa2 and I have in ours for a guideline.  Everyone who wants to help you needs to know how much of what  you are taking and when.  You will need to update it as you make changes to doses or cuts.  Here are the instructions for adding info. to your signature box:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0

I think it's difficult to tell what anxiety is caused by when on benzos, whether or not you are tapering.  You can become tolerant of benzos and start having withdrawal symptoms without even reducing your dose.  That's what happened to many of us and led us to the decision to taper off of them.  Of course, we all have to learn new ways of coping with the problems for which the benzos were originally prescribed.  In your case, it sounds like anxiety and panic were the reasons you were prescribed a benzo in the first place.  No matter what's causing it, the coping techiques are the same. 

A couple of other members have recently posted about the racing heartbeat and it is a common w/d symptom.  The important thing is not to get more anxious about it which causes an additional release of adrenaline, faster heartbeat and more anxiety.  You can see that it can become a vicious cycle.  Have you looked into some of the techinques for coping with anxiety on the Anxiety and Panic board? 

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

Theresa2 suggested you try splitting up your doses so you take them every 8 hours so you might try that to see if things even out a bit more during the day. 

Try to calm yourself to the degree that you can.  Some mild exercise, like a long walk, can help use up the excesds adrenaline.  Chamomille tea can be calming as well without causing dependence or side effects.

You won't always feel like this.  Hang in there, LB.  :thumbsup:

Hi Lincbasket and welcome to BB!

CAN MY STAYING HOME ON BEING ON THE COMPUTER CONTRIBUTE TO IT AS IN TRIGGERING IT?

I find that if I sit at the computer too long I sometimes get anxious, although it's happening less and less now. I almost always feel better after I move around and/or go outside for awhile. I'm used to being able to sit around a lot  ;) so this was a new thing for me.

Good luck with your taper - you'll find LOTS of support here.

Lynne

Doctor refused to prescribing diazepam... He said to go to detox or inpatient care or treatment at the hospital... so i sent him an email with the ashton manual attached to it. waiting on his reply.

Lincbasket -  :)

My doc wouldn't prescribe valium, either, but I did fine with a direct taper off lorazepam/ativan.  If it gets too, rough, you can switch to liquid titration which provides the smoothest method of tapering, or even start that way if you are super concerned. You'll be okay.

Doctor refused to prescribing diazepam... He said to go to detox or inpatient care or treatment at the hospital... so i sent him an email with the ashton manual attached to it. waiting on his reply.

Hi Linc,

Is this the same doctor that prescribed the ativan in the first place?? If so, he sounds like a jerk suggesting you go to a treatment center. Is he suggesting that you are abusing the meds?? If he really knew anything about benzos, he would know that sending you to a detox center is not the answer, as they usually cold turkey you off the meds! That, of course, is the worst method. Your next step is to at least try and acquire the smaller tablets (0.50mg) so you are able to quarter them and taper down this way. If not that, Colin can give you a titration schedule where you would crush your 1mg pill into a milk solution and reduce a small amount every day. Let us know what you decide, we'll be here!

I feel helpess and alone in this. my family and girlfriend all think that my withdrawal symptoms are all in my head. If it wasnt for this website i would have really felt ALONE because no one around me gets or knows what im going through, and just to think that my withdrawal symptoms are going to get worst when i start reducing my lorazepam but id rather fight that because the day is going to come when the doc decides to no longer prescribe me lorazepam... Then what am i really going to do? so with the last refill i have im going to start a direct taper...

Hi Linc,

As Theresa suggested, try getting hold of the 0.5mg Lorazepam tablets. The majority of people manage to taper by plain old pill-splitting with 0.5mg tablets, but if cannot obtain them, or they are still not small enough for you manage a taper, I will draw up a titration plan for you. If you check out the titration board, you will see that our members have had great success using titration.

I feel helpess and alone in this. my family and girlfriend all think that my withdrawal symptoms are all in my head. If it wasnt for this website i would have really felt ALONE because no one around me gets or knows what im going through, and just to think that my withdrawal symptoms are going to get worst when i start reducing my lorazepam but id rather fight that because the day is going to come when the doc decides to no longer prescribe me lorazepam... Then what am i really going to do? so with the last refill i have im going to start a direct taper...

Hi Linc,

I'm sorry your family and girlfriend don't believe you. Unfortunately, this is very common. That is why many come here for their support and encouragement. I educated my family by reading them passages from The Ashton Manual and the google article by Stevie Nicks. Did your doctor tell you that you can't have any more prescriptions? Since you weren't taking them as directed, you should have plenty left over?

I never abused the lorazepam and he know's it. I have 1 refill remaining and like 10 1mg pills. when i told him that i wanted off the lorazepam he asked me if i need any refills and that if i did he would keep refilling them... i dont see why he didnt prescribe diazepam if they are both benzo's why would he give me more refills on L but wont give me diazepam i dont want to go through intense withdrawal symptoms. just by waiting for mydose time to come is horrible so i just imagine how bad its going to get from here but oh well im going to beat this

LB -  :)

Try not to worry about the valium thing.  Most of us here have successfully tapered directly off of the other benzos and I did myself off of lorazepam after nearly 20 years of use.

Since you doctor is generally supportive of your taper, you shouldn't have any trouble requesting a script for the .5mg tablets.  These are easier to cut into smaller doses than the 1 mg tablets.

If you remember some of the previous posts, we generally recommend tapering about 10% every week or two.  You can do that for a while by dry cutting and then request a titration schedule if you want to go even slower.  Try not to anticipate problems that will never occur.  There are surely a lot of possible symptoms people get withdrawing from benzos but no one gets them all and if you go slowly, you will be able to manage them fine.

I never abused the lorazepam and he know's it. I have 1 refill remaining and like 10 1mg pills. when i told him that i wanted off the lorazepam he asked me if i need any refills and that if i did he would keep refilling them... i dont see why he didnt prescribe diazepam if they are both benzo's why would he give me more refills on L but wont give me diazepam i dont want to go through intense withdrawal symptoms. just by waiting for mydose time to come is horrible so i just imagine how bad its going to get from here but oh well im going to beat this

Hi Linc,

Many doctors will not prescribe valium, so this is not unusual. You would still not escape w/d s/x by switching to valium. Some people do poorly by switching to valium also. You may want to consider splitting your current dose into 3X/day as I mentioned in my pevious post to alleviate your interdosal w/d s/x. Also, since he is willing to refill your rx, I'm sure he would be willing to give you the 0.50mg tablets to make cutting easier?

Hi Linc,

I didn't switch to Valium because I read too much about it causing depression in some people.  I tapered from Xanax using the dry cut method.  I actually started feeling better once I started tapering.  Do try to get the .5 mg tabs so you can make easier cuts.  Wishing you a very happy ending.

Patty  xo

Can someone draw me up a direct taper from lorazepam .5mg twice a day. im ready to start my taper. i have called in for the .5mg pills so i can make my cuts.

I'm so glad you will be able to get the .5mg tablets.  Do you have a pill splitter or razor blade to cut the pills? 

You can cut those .5mg tablets into 1/4's and drop 1/4 (=.125mg) from either your morning or evening dose so that you are taking .375mg + .5mg per day.  Stay at that level for at least a week then drop 1/4 pill (.125mg) off the other dose so you would be taking .375mg 2x/day.  This should get you started.

I held my cuts for 2 weeks but you may be fine cutting sooner.  However, you will see it repeated on the forum many times that this isn't a race to become benzo free.  Slow and steady will serve you best.  :thumbsup:

hi to every one again hey you guys can lorazepam cause pain on the right side of the stomach under the right side cage??? and can lorazepam also be the cause of the pain i get on my right side lower back pain??? has any one had this happen?

hi to every one again hey you guys can lorazepam cause pain on the right side of the stomach under the right side cage??? and can lorazepam also be the cause of the pain i get on my right side lower back pain??? has any one had this happen?

Hi Lincbasket,

I, too, have a soreness on the right side under the right rib cage. I had the doctor feel there when I was there 6 weeks ago and she said everything felt fine and had a lot of blood tests and everything was normal. It is so easy to pass everything off to w/d since there are so many. It even seems that the symptoms move around a lot, too! One day it will be all emotions the next it's the knees and feet aching. It is always recommended if you have concerns to make sure you have it checked by the doctor and if they find nothing, then yeah it's probably w/d's.

yea i had a ct scan blood work urine and a sonogrameverything came back negative... im guessing it can be from the acid anxiety causes in the stomach?

I have question... can anxiety or lorazepam be the cause of whats happening to me? i feel the urge to go the restroom and when i do go nothing comes out there is just clear mucus left there this is weird and uncomfortable to ask about

Hi Lincbasket,

I have not experienced what you are saying, but I think I remember reading that Stoneyco (Patty) had the mucus. She will probably be on line later. Hopefully, she'll see your post and respond. If not, you may want to ask her on her blog or read through her posts..http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=8861.msg124336#msg124336

Hi, Linc,

Yes, I had mucuous but with diarrhea.  Mal and Brad have had the intestinal problems quite bad.  My stomach rumbled for 4 1/2 months.  I used a heating pad to ease the stomach discomfort.  Just another part of the benzo withdrawals.  Hang on tight.

Patty xo

i also have lower back pain around my kidney area i got tests done and its doing just fine possibly it can be that it hurts from all the lorazepam coming out through the urine

I don't know why it's hurting but aches and pains most anywhere in the body have been reported by people withdrawing from benzos.  Glad you got it checked out, though; no point taking chances.  :thumbsup: