Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hey D how did you change your profile pic?? I'm trying to do mine but can't figure it out.. Not too surprising bc I am dumb :idiot:

Somebody, and it's been so long ago, I don't remember who, had a link.  I will try to find it today, if not it's inside the profile on the home page.  Luv ya.......

Just going to do a quick message today my headache is much the same l am hoping as the day wears on it will improve.Like everything it will take as long as it takes.l am thinking of you all and if you are struggling hang in there.

Love and hugs Stut X

Oh Stut, I'm so sorry.  Hope you feel better soon.  :therethere: :therethere: :hug::mybuddy:

I know how bad they suck.  Love you.  💚❤️💜☮️🙏💜🐕🐶

Lady Mary

Good morning LHSG, hope we all have a decent day.  Stut feel better soon, we miss you.  SS, I think you work today, so have a good day , don't work too hard.  B3, are your sxs easing some.  Cona, let your music 🎶 play .

And the latest rumor, Becksblue kitty finally had a regular bm, a great day :laugh:

Love you all, think of you ...Mary ☮️💜🙏🐕🐾🎶🎵🎄🎁🎁

Lady Mary want to pick your brains what do you take for these damn headaches that isn't prescription.l can stand the pain but it is the nausea that is getting to me at the moment.l hope you have got rid of yours my love.

Gilly this will pass my love try to understand we have millions of thoughts every day but an anxious person zooms in on one's that scare the hell out of them.I believe we can't really control our thoughts but we can learn to stop being so afraid of them.l think that would be a great lesson for us all going through withdrawal.

Love and hugs Stut X

Lady Mary want to pick your brains what do you take for these damn headaches that isn't prescription.l can stand the pain but it is the nausea that is getting to me at the moment.l hope you have got rid of yours my love.

Gilly this will pass my love try to understand we have millions of thoughts every day but an anxious person zooms in on one's that scare the heal out of us.I believe we can't really control our thoughts but we can learn to stop being so afraid of them.l think that would be a great lesson for us all going through withdrawal.

Love and hugs Stut X

Can you try pepto bismol?  My mom used to make me sip real coke and now if I am sick on my stomach, I want real coke.  Mine are mostly pain, I just get nauseous every once in awhile. Please take care of yourself my Queen, Lady Mary

Thanks Lady Mary l will keep taking gaviscon it usually helps me with nausea.l think in a couple of days it will be better.l swear your my hero l have maybe had about at the most ten of these types of headaches generally hormonal related.

Love you my lady Mary and keep on keeping on you are a diamond and l am glad you are here my love.Give that Sly one a big hug from his Auntie.

Love and hugs Stut X

Thanks Stut. I can't function right now. Will try not to be afraid. Love, Gilly xxxxx

I am sorry GB, I am sure it's still reacting to all the worry and stress going to Rebecca's.  Hold on , it will pass, your cns needs an opportunity for calmness .  We are here for for you.  Love you much, Mary 🐱🐾🐾🐾🐾🎄🎁

Just going to do a quick message today my headache is much the same l am hoping as the day wears on it will improve.Like everything it will take as long as it takes.l am thinking of you all and if you are struggling hang in there.

Love and hugs Stut X

Stut,

Damn those headaches... and this one seems to be lasting bit.  i hope that Mary has some suggestions that are helpful -- the only thing I know for nausea is ginger tea, but I have a hunch you need bigger guns...

Lie low love and have the best day possible...

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Good morning LHSG, hope we all have a decent day.  Stut feel better soon, we miss you.  SS, I think you work today, so have a good day , don't work too hard.  B3, are your sxs easing some.  Cona, let your music 🎶 play .

And the latest rumor, Becksblue kitty finally had a regular bm, a great day :laugh:

Love you all, think of you ...Mary ☮️💜🙏🐕🐾🎶🎵🎄🎁🎁

G'morning Mary and all,

Yes it is a work day, and I'll be working tomorrow too as i fit everything in...

Hope you all have a great day.

Sly keeps you good company Mary!

Running....

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

And I love you, Mary. Thank you for your support. Yes, all this is reacting to going to Rebecca's, plus all the anxiety building up since October when she asked us to go. I am in bed because my body and brain are telling me that's where I should be. I am a waste of time if up.  So I might as well just rest. Stut is being a Star giving me advice and you are both such good friends.

Do you believe in Fate? Dave came home early from work. I feel better when he is here. I never thought that going to Rebecca's would impact on me so much.

Anyway, I have some good news! Rebecca had an interview for a job today and they rang her two hours later to tell her that she'd got it! She has been disillusioned working in retail when she has a degree. She was even off with stress once because she hated it so much. So now she is an admin assistant at Lancaster University. I am so proud of her and pleased for her.

Love and Hugs. Gilly xxxxx

Awe Gilly just popping on to say that is great news you have a great daughter there.l tell you now you are bound to be exhausted so just rest and recouperate you will start to feel better.l don't want you to underestimate what you achieved and also l don't want you to allow how you feel now to take anything away from what you faced even though you were battered with anxiety and depression.Well done my love.

Now l am getting off before my head explodes.

Thank you lovely SS enjoy your work.You inspire us all.

Lady Mary love you my darling friend.

Love and hugs Stut X

Oh,Stut, I am so sorry about your head. I hope you feel better soon. Yes, I need to recuperate and it sounds like you do as well. Lots of Love and thank you for being there. You are a gem.  Gilly xxxxx

And I love you, Mary. Thank you for your support. Yes, all this is reacting to going to Rebecca's, plus all the anxiety building up since October when she asked us to go. I am in bed because my body and brain are telling me that's where I should be. I am a waste of time if up.  So I might as well just rest. Stut is being a Star giving me advice and you are both such good friends.

Do you believe in Fate? Dave came home early from work. I feel better when he is here. I never thought that going to Rebecca's would impact on me so much.

Anyway, I have some good news! Rebecca had an interview for a job today and they rang her two hours later to tell her that she'd got it! She has been disillusioned working in retail when she has a degree. She was even off with stress once because she hated it so much. So now she is an admin assistant at Lancaster University. I am so proud of her and pleased for her.

Love and Hugs. Gilly xxxxx

That is fabulous news GB, a special Christmas present for her and her proud mum!! Glad Dave came home early.  I always feel better when Tim is home.  He was out of town Thursday night and I really did just fine but always feel better when he is here.  I don't know if you know the story about me taking my dad's plants when he passes away in 1999.  He loved plants and flowers, there are quite a few of them and now between the time he had them and now me, they are 30 years old.  Well, I just walked outside with Sly and looked over and his Christmas cactus is blooming all over the place.  All the bulbs are like a dark pinkish red, beautiful.  I love it every year when they bloom, it reminds me of my parents.  You try to have a calm day GB, I will be thinking about you.  Love Mary 🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Awe Gilly just popping on to say that is great news you have a great daughter there.l tell you now you are bound to be exhausted so just rest and recouperate you will start to feel better.l don't want you to underestimate what you achieved and also l don't want you to allow how you feel now to take anything away from what you faced even though you were battered with anxiety and depression.Well done my love.

Now l am getting off before my head explodes.

Thank you lovely SS enjoy your work.You inspire us all.ary

Lady Mary love you my darling friend.

Love and hugs Stut X

Damn you are fast, you get on and off before I get signed on  :laugh:

Just hoping the damn thing goes away and you post you are starting to feel better, keep checking for that post.  Love you, Mary

Thanks to all who sent me good wishes. The weekend with the kids was so important. And I made it. But, now I am back in bed. Not a big surprise, but I have to now get ready for Christmas Day. It is not going to be elaborate and my husband will help, but I am wondering if I can make it. Guess I wore myself out, but no regrets. Rest, Gilly, you did well. Peace to all, Esperanza

Aw, we also have Christmas Cacti over here but they are houseplants because of the climate here. No way could you grow one outside. They are so beautiful when they flower. And that is part of your Dad that lives on. You'll have me in tears in a minute! What a privilege it is to be able to look at them and know that part of your Dad is there. That is lovely. Very emotional.

I've been in bed for most of the day. Just didn't feel like I should be up. I'm up now and I've had some salad and a butty. That's what is Northerners call a sandwich.

Dave has just heard that his Mum is in hospital. His Mum and Dad are supposed to be coming here for Christmas. Don't know if that will happen now. She has a leg infection. Her own doctor gave her antibiotics but two different kinds didn't work. So she is having them intravenously. If they manage to come up then that is fine. If they don't come up then that is a more restful time for me. So we'll see what happens.

Love you, Mary. Hugs for Sly.  Gilly xxxxx

Esperanza, thank you for your kind wishes. Well, we are having a similar time aren't we? We wore ourselves out doing things we wanted to do with the family and now we are paying the price. But I wouldn't have changed it. It made our Rebecca so happy. Now we have to chill out. We still have a full week and we might surprise ourselves and he okay-ish on the Big Day. Sending Hugs and Best Wishes.

Gilly ❤x ❤x ❤x

Aw, we also have Christmas Cacti over here but they are houseplants because of the climate here. No way could you grow one outside. They are so beautiful when they flower. And that is part of your Dad that lives on. You'll have me in tears in a minute! What a privilege it is to be able to look at them and know that part of your Dad is there. That is lovely. Very emotional.

I've been in bed for most of the day. Just didn't feel like I should be up. I'm up now and I've had some salad and a butty. That's what is Northerners call a sandwich.

Dave has just heard that his Mum is in hospital. His Mum and Dad are supposed to be coming here for Christmas. Don't know if that will happen now. She has a leg infection. Her own doctor gave her antibiotics but two different kinds didn't work. So she is having them intravenously. If they manage to come up then that is fine. If they don't come up then that is a more restful time for me. So we'll see what happens.

Love you, Mary. Hugs for Sly.  Gilly xxxxx

Oh no.  Tell Dave we will all think of his mother and hopes she gets well soon.  And that he is part of us too , whether he likes it or not ;).  A butty  :laugh: luv ya. Mary

Tbh, it's better for me if they don't come. I know that is selfish. I managed to go to his Mum's birthday at the end of September and I went to Dave's sister's house when it was her husband's birthday at the start of November. But I am very nervous now. Still, we all know why that is. I may have improved by then. When the parents come up they sleep here for three nights. I could do without that. Still, I don't wish illness on her, though she is not my favourite person. Dave's Dad is okay. But his Mum shouted at me when I was at their house in Wales two years ago and I could barely get out of bed. Another of the "you could do better if you tried" brigade.... Gilly xxxxx

Hello, I’m new to this support group, and could use some advice.  I have been tapering my benzo for about 2 years now.  Started at 3 mg of Xanax (which I was on for decades), and I’m down to 8 mg of Valium.  So eliminated almost 85% of my dose.  But my taper rate has continually slowed down, and now I can only seem to tolerate 2% per month.  I’m also on Effexor, lithium and mirtazipine.  I’ve read that I should probably HOLD on my benzo taper, and get off at least the Effexor and lithium while I still have some Valium on board.  Tapering off those might take a  year.

My question is this:  Does holding for a year sort of “reset” my GABA receptors, so that when I start tapering the Valium it will be even harder?  Will I loose momentum?  I did a two month hold this summer.  Before the hold I was tapering at 7%.  After I couldn’t go faster than 2%.  Also, will I be feeling benzo tolerance withdrawal symtoms (i.e. suffering) the entire year?  My most difficult symptom for me has been my brain fog / benzo brain.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello, I’m new to this support group, and could use some advice.  I have been tapering my benzo for about 2 years now.  Started at 3 mg of Xanax (which I was on for decades), and I’m down to 8 mg of Valium.  So eliminated almost 85% of my dose.  But my taper rate has continually slowed down, and now I can only seem to tolerate 2% per month.  I’m also on Effexor, lithium and mirtazipine.  I’ve read that I should probably HOLD on my benzo taper, and get off at least the Effexor and lithium while I still have some Valium on board.  Tapering off those might take a  year.

My question is this:  Does holding for a year sort of “reset” my GABA receptors, so that when I start tapering the Valium it will be even harder?  Will I loose momentum?  I did a two month hold this summer.  Before the hold I was tapering at 7%.  After I couldn’t go faster than 2%.  Also, will I be feeling benzo tolerance withdrawal symtoms (i.e. suffering) the entire year?  My most difficult symptom for me has been my brain fog / benzo brain.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Summit , welcome to the long hold group,.....

Your post brings up some questions  for me -

I'm wondering where you have read that tapering the other meds first would be best ? I'm not that knowledgeable on the lithium and Effexor , but quite a few people have found Mirtazepine to be helpful in supporting their benzo taper . Have you asked at the Surviving Antidepressants website about the other meds ?

Everyone has their own experience, so one can often get differing opinions. Survivingantidepressants would probably give sound advice from the moderators

you have done well with your benzo taper .... Are you very symptomatic at the 2% rate ? Is it possible you could continue that small % taper as you slowly reduce your other meds?

I'm inclined to  say leave the Remeron til last , but maybe others who are on that med will hopefully  chime in .

We are all so different in how we respond on this journey

Why did you do a two month hold in the summer ? Were you at a place where the symptoms had increased ?

I'm asking as , if you stopped because you were too symptomatic , perhaps a 2 month hold wasn't long enough ?

I very much doubt that holding on the valium taper now would produce tolerance . You've been on for years , and have tapered a lot , so it seems more likely to me that you are experiencing WDs from all the benzo you have tapered , and it could take your brain a while to catch up .

Some people  here have held for many months and up to a year , and then been more able to taper once feeling more stable .

The change in how much you were able to taper after your hold is what's odd to me at the moment , and I can only think it wasn't long enough of a hold

so maybe if you could provide some more details , you can hopefully get some more help here in how to proceed .

Most people seem to find that long holds do eventually bring stability and easing of symptoms .

I am going to find the Long hold groups list of quotes , and post it for you to read , from people who have done holds and found them  very helpful , I think you will find it encouraging and supportive

Miyu

Hi all,

Anyone think I have any chance of some of my severe physical, sensory and perceptual symptoms easing if I hold on the low dose I am now on. 0.5mg diazepam 3x/day?

Have horrible writhing spasms etc each time it goes down from peak concentration.

Hi Summit , welcome to the long hold group,.....

Your post brings up some questions  for me -

I'm wondering where you have read that tapering the other meds first would be best ? I'm not that knowledgeable on the lithium and Effexor , but quite a few people have found Mirtazepine to be helpful in supporting their benzo taper . Have you asked at the Surviving Antidepressants website about the other meds ?

Everyone has their own experience, so one can often get differing opinions. Survivingantidepressants would probably give sound advice from the moderators

you have done well with your benzo taper .... Are you very symptomatic at the 2% rate ? Is it possible you could continue that small % taper as you slowly reduce your other meds?

I'm inclined to  say leave the Remeron til last , but maybe others who are on that med will hopefully  chime in .

We are all so different in how we respond on this journey

Why did you do a two month hold in the summer ? Were you at a place where the symptoms had increased ?

I'm asking as , if you stopped because you were too symptomatic , perhaps a 2 month hold wasn't long enough ?

I very much doubt that holding on the valium taper now would produce tolerance . You've been on for years , and have tapered a lot , so it seems more likely to me that you are experiencing WDs from all the benzo you have tapered , and it could take your brain a while to catch up .

Some people  here have held for many months and up to a year , and then been more able to taper once feeling more stable .

The change in how much you were able to taper after your hold is what's odd to me at the moment , and I can only think it wasn't long enough of a hold

so maybe if you could provide some more details , you can hopefully get some more help here in how to proceed .

Most people seem to find that long holds do eventually bring stability and easing of symptoms .

I am going to find the Long hold groups list of quotes , and post it for you to read , from people who have done holds and found them  very helpful , I think you will find it encouraging and supportive

Miyu

MiYu, excellent advice, the only drug I have that much experience with is the Valium.  I want to welcome you to this thread summitbound, we will find you some help.  I'm sure the list will be helpful.  Mary ☮️💜🙏

[af...]