Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

I finished This Tender Land .  I enjoyed it. Trying to decide what to read next.  I have several of our last bunch on my Kindle but in a mood to read a real book so will probably order some from library.

Can you believe it’s August already? Weather in my neck of the woods is HOT and humid. Shayna, wish we had your beach right around the corner  :)

I’ve probably already said this but I read a book a couple of years ago called “Hoover Dam, An American Adventure by Joseph E Stevens.  For those who like history and the stories behind amazing landmarks, it’s really engaging.  I liked it so much I just ordered a hardback copy for my “new” collection of books.

I didn’t really realize that I have some really old books that I’ve kept.  Some are from my father and grandfather. My husband is a Land Surveyor and my uncle gave him a book called “Gibsons Surveying”: it was first published in the late 1700’s and the copy we have is signed by the owner, written in pen and ink with the date 1837. It’s not in perfect condition by any means but I think that just shows it was well used.

Everyone have a good day.  Hope you are having some windows!  :smitten:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I was just thinking omg, it’s going to be spring soon! I cannot wait to get back in the water. I miss my swims. X

I guess then it’s going into fall for u girls soon x

I have been thrifting like a madwoman lately. My library is growing rapidly. My latest buys are , forever interrupted - Taylor Jenkins Reid $2, everything I never told you-celeste ng $2, the nightingale- Kristin Hannah $1!, the lake house- Kate Morton $3, 2 more Harry Potter books for the collection, if there be thorns to complete my flowers in the attic series, the other Bennett sister - Janice hadlow $3, the testaments- Margaret Atwood $3, and 100 years of solitude - Gabriel Garcia marquez $3!! I also bought Lisa jewels latest book on audiobook. I’m pretty stoked with my purchases!

I’m halfway thru force of nature by Jane Harper and also the disappearing act by Catherine stead man. I’ve been binging the white lotus too, such a good show, quite quirky.

Anyway I miss u guys I hope ur all ok.  :smitten:

I’ve finished force of nature now so I have read all Jane harpers books. Great Aussie crime author. Not too scary just mystery set in Aussie rural communities.

I’ve also finished the disappearing act and it was a great thriller too. Just easy to follow and entertaining.

I’m reading the night she disappeared now and it’s great so far. Then I’ll probably read the guest list by Lucy foley and one true loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

I’m also reading Harry Potter to my little boy.

Happy reading xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hey girls. I know book club is dead in the water atm but I’m carrying on with the list. I’ve just started the lake house I’m enjoying it so far. Holy Moley it’s a big book!

I just finished a book called the idea of u. Robinne Lee. It’s a cross between 50 shades (without the red room) and daisy and the 6. It was soooooo good! It quite raunchy. It also sad. Great easy read.

Hey Shayna…..I’m still hanging in !  I’m getting ready to read The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani.  It’s historical fiction with some romance thrown in.  We’ll see how it goes.  I’m also still working on the list……trying to get started on Behind The Scenes at the Museum. 

Summer is a busy time for a lot of people.  I betting the rest will return in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

Don’t give up on us.! :smitten: 

The Covid delta variant is going crazy over here.  People are actually getting violent over the issue of schools mandating masks.  Some schools are , some aren’t.  But really people, it is a thin piece of paper or fabric that may keep your child from getting really sick or worse!

I respect people’s rights but this is crazy to me.

Ok that’s all on that subject.  ;)

Enjoy your reading!

Hey 2 cats x nice to hear from u. Yeah I expected now that’s it’s fall over there peeps might be back to reading eventually. I’ve been reading the whole time, but it’s winter so I can’t swim! Although now it’s spring so in a few weeks I’ll be back in the water.

Glad ur doing some reading x sounds like a nice book! I’ve read a couple of romances lately. Not usually something I go for but it’s actually been a nice change. I read one true loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was a bit annoying tho  :laugh:

My home library is growing constantly. I picked up hippie by Paulo coelho and another Tudor book by Phillipa Gregory. I have the first 9 in that series now, will probably start that in the new year!

I’m still reading, just not from our book club list. I read “Molokai” by Alan Brennert, it was fantastic. I’m current reading book #80 for the year, “When You Are Engulfed in Flames” by David Sedaris. He’s hilarious and so weird, I love his books.

Hey kits! X wow book 80!!! That’s amazing x

I’m on book 43  :laugh: I’m aiming for 70 for the year. 100 just isn’t going to happen x

Those books sound great kits x what are ur faves this year?

Kits,  I loved The Book Thief!  It was made into a movie.

I’m glad you mentioned David Sedaris. I read something by him a few years ago and kinda forgot about it so you jogged my memory.  I’ll have to read some more of his.

I’m definitely not breaking any records but I have read more in the past year than I have in a long time thanks to this book club and the great suggestions  ;D

Great! I have the book their at home so I’m excited to read it!!

I agree 2 cats. I’ve definitely read more this year than any other and books I never would have chosen myself thanks to the book club x

I think my fave was still the lost queen!

Just bought the dune trilogy for $2! Score!

Honestly if I worked in a thrift store they’d be making way more money. I bought a pair of Levi 501s for $3 too. Like, seriously? Everyone has heard of 501s. Put $10 on them at least.  8)

Here’s a suggestion for a non-fiction read especially for Downton Abbey fans.  The current Countess of Carnarvon is the author. A look into English society and how a rich American girl got in.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey,The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Speaking about rich Americans, I read a book ages ago about the Vanderbilt family called Fortune’s Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt.  It’s an interesting read as well.  A look inside that family and that whole Gilded Age.

Shayna I’d gladly pay $10 for Levi’s! Haha and great score on the Dune trilogy.  I read that back in my 20’s.  One day I’d like to revisit.  I always think I’ll read some books that I read earlier in my life but then I get distracted by NEW books or at least books I’ve never read before!

Nice score, Shayna! We read the first Dune book earlier this year and just started the second one last night (reading them as bedtime books for my son).

Here’s a suggestion for a non-fiction read especially for Downton Abbey fans.  The current Countess of Carnarvon is the author. A look into English society and how a rich American girl got in.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey,The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Speaking about rich Americans, I read a book ages ago about the Vanderbilt family called Fortune’s Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt.  It’s an interesting read as well.  A look inside that family and that whole Gilded Age.

Shayna I’d gladly pay $10 for Levi’s! Haha and great score on the Dune trilogy.  I read that back in my 20’s.  One day I’d like to revisit.  I always think I’ll read some books that I read earlier in my life but then I get distracted by NEW books or at least books I’ve never read before!

Both those books sound great 2 cats. I always wondered what happened to the Vanderbilts. Also the Astor family. I know one of them died on the titanic. I’ll add those to my list!

I actually bought dune a few months ago but just the first book, but I thought for $2 I’ll buy it for the other 2 books! Did u enjoy it 2 cats? I really want to read it but I’ve struggled a little lately with complicated books.

Nice score, Shayna! We read the first Dune book earlier this year and just started the second one last night (reading them as bedtime books for my son).

Yes I remember u were reading it to ur son! That’s where I got interested in it x I really want to read it before the movie comes out x

It’s been ages since I read Dune but I remembered that my 21 year old self loved it. 

There was a movie version back in the 1980s.  I saw it but don’t remember it much.  I do remember that Sting played a part. Haha. I don’t think it got good reviews.

It’s been ages since I read Dune but I remembered that my 21 year old self loved it. 

There was a movie version back in the 1980s.  I saw it but don’t remember it much.  I do remember that Sting played a part. Haha. I don’t think it got good reviews.

Yeah I read about that version, I think Kyle mcglaclan was in it too. Great I am looking forward to reading it just waiting for my brain to get ready :laugh:

Kyle McLachlan played Paul Atreides. It was a David Lynch film. Sting was Fade Rautha. There was also a Sci Fi channel miniseries remake that was much better than the movie. They’re breaking the new movie into two parts which I think is a good idea to make sure they do the book justice.

I love timothee chalamet don’t I’m excited to see the new one. And obviously Jason mamoa is back to acting now that he’s stopped hanging around me  :laugh:

I want to join!  Book nerd that I am...

Okay, here is a list of my top ten:

1. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

2. Middlemarch - George Eliot

3. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

4. Jayber Crow - Wendell Berry

5. Anne of Green Gables series - L.M. Montgomery

6. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck

7. The Song of the Lark - Willa Cather

8. Walden - Henry David Thoreau

9. Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner

10. How Green Was My Valley - Richard Llewellyn

Welcome sage!!

Anne of green gables was my absolute fave growing up. And I loved to kill a mockingbird x

What are you reading now?

Im reading this one, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21104828-the-lake-house

and also have this one atm https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54981009-the-last-thing-he-told-me

:thumbsup:

I'm just rereading Death Grip by Matt Samet.  I guess I'm in the mood for some dark benzo stories.  Not sure why I do that to myself.  I guess because I know he healed even after all the horrible things he experienced.  Gives hope when you're feeling horrid. 

Those books look good!

Welcome sage!!

Anne of green gables was my absolute fave growing up. And I loved to kill a mockingbird x

What are you reading now?

Im reading this one, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21104828-the-lake-house

and also have this one atm https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54981009-the-last-thing-he-told-me

:thumbsup:

I'm just rereading Death Grip by Matt Samet.  I guess I'm in the mood for some dark benzo stories.  Not sure why I do that to myself.  I guess because I know he healed even after all the horrible things he experienced.  Gives hope when you're feeling horrid. 

Those books look good!

I’ve really wanted to read some of those books, but I think I’m already deep in it and that would immerse me further.

But I think I’ll read some when I’m feeling better.

I’m about half way thru the lake house, it’s a huge book so it’s taking me a while but it’s definitely getting good now!