Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

I finished Malibu Rising a couple days ago. It was disappointing after having read some of her previous books. I’d give it a 3/5. Currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab and Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr.

Sending you all love and light. ❤️ May you all have wide open windows.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kit Kat x I agree with u on Malibu rising. I kinda felt like it was a book written by a high school kid. You know when girls are young and they want to be supermodels and actresses and pro surfers? (I’m sure you didn’t fall into that category, I’m sure you wanted to be a geologist at school :smitten: I wanted to be a marine biologist but got distracted by a cute surfer  :D) it just felt like that to me. And compared to her other books that I’ve read it was disappointing. But I didn’t hate it either x

They sound like good books kit, track of the cat sounds really interesting.

I went thrifting again yesterday and got the choice by Nicholas sparks (for book club), the hunting party https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37642030-the-hunting-party , and gone girl.

I’m being slack on my reading this week, too many distractions, but so far the 5th season is really good, as is my audiobook the open house. I’m getting closer to finally getting my copy of the red tent and have ordered the obelisk gate from the library too.

Happy reading everyone x I hope everyone is feeling okay and all my yanky friends enjoyed their 4th of July holiday  :)

Hi guys

I loved Ordinary Grace!  I actually ordered the author’s  book “This Tender Land:A Novel.

I actually think that book was on my list this last go-round.  I didn’t even know that Ordinary Grace was by the same author! Duh!  ::)

Kits, years ago I read some Nevada Barr books.  I don’t remember the specifics but I do remember that I loved them.

I was going through some boxes in my garage and found some books I had stashed in there.  Some non-fiction. Do you guys remember the movie A Perfect Storm?  I read that book about a crazy storm on the North Atlantic and its effect on the fisherman out during it…..well. One of the real life fisherman that was portrayed in the movie was a female captain of a swordfish boat .  Her name is Linda Greenlaw and she wrote a couple of really interesting books about being one the few female captains fishing at that time.  She also wrote some fiction that were a pretty good read. Little mysteries.

Also if you like non-fiction, John Krakauer has written a few that are pretty compelling.  Into Thin Air, Into The Wild, Under The Banner of Heaven and Three Cups of Deceit are some of his that I’ve read.  They all tell the story behind the story of some interesting events . Borderline investigative reporting.

And, you’re going to think I’m really weird , but one of the most interesting books I’ve read is called Blind Mans Bluff- A story of submarine espionage during the Cold War.  There were all kinds if shenanigans going on under the ocean’s surface that came to light after the fall of the Soviet Union and information became available.

Sorry to write a book ( Haha), ladies, but just wanted to share!  Some suggestions for when you want to change things up!  :)

2cats, I’ve read Into the Wild and Into Thin Air, both excellent books. This Tender Land is on our reading list for book club. I used to work for the National Park Service so Nevada Barr’s books have been on my list to read for a while.

2cats, I’ve read Into the Wild and Into Thin Air, both excellent books. This Tender Land is on our reading list for book club. I used to work for the National Park Service so Nevada Barr’s books have been on my list to read for a while.

I’m going to have to re-visit Nevada Barr, kits.  That’s so interesting that you worked for the NPS.  I think our National Parks are the greatest thing. Before COVID we had a road trip planned to hit up several NPs.  We plan to do it when I start feeling well enough,  :)

2cats, maybe when I’m healed I’ll apply to work for the NPS again. I miss those jobs. I worked with some truly amazing people and in beautiful places. For now, reading Nevada Barr’s books reminds me of those days (she wrote a book about one of the parks I worked for). Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey is a great book about his experience working for Arches National Park.

2cats, maybe when I’m healed I’ll apply to work for the NPS again. I miss those jobs. I worked with some truly amazing people and in beautiful places. For now, reading Nevada Barr’s books reminds me of those days (she wrote a book about one of the parks I worked for). Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey is a great book about his experience working for Arches National Park.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. That was one of the parks we planned to visit.  :)

2 cats all those books sound really interesting. The one about subs sounds excellent and I’m really interested in reading into the wild. My brother in law put me onto that movie because Eddie vedder wrote the score (love him) and of course if any movie was made from a book I usually prefer to read the book first.

U girls are so lucky, ur national parks look gorgeous. If I ever get over there definitely keen to visit the pacific crest trail and Joshua tree!

Kitsune,

Her sister, molly raises Persian cats. She has 9

She's also really talented artist.

I'd like to read one of Nevada's books  :)

Into the Wild is a very sad true story.  Chris McCandless is the guy who hiked alone into the Alaskan Wilderness.  He didn't even take a map with him, and back then they didn't have cellphones.  He did alot of really dumb things that no hiker should ever do that got him in so much trouble. 

There's a documentary out about him also and also a second documentary called Return To the Wild.  I won't tell you what happened to him if you haven't read the book or seen the documentary.  It's a very sad story, I'll say that much.  I can relate to it quite well.

I know what happened to him. It’s sad but I’m not sure why he didn’t put more thought behind what he did. I guess I’ll find out when I read the book x

He wasn't very smart or else he had some type of death wish.  He was reckless and selfish and did so many things wrong that ended up leading to his demise and devastating his family.  No MAP!, hiked alone, no way to contact others in an emergency.  There was a trolley-type bridge crossing over that raging river only 1/2 mile from where he was camping and he didn't even know it.  That would have saved his life. 

Very sad for his parents. Maybe he just handed himself over to the “journey”. I hate that word but some people are out there

Ummmm kits, I got 150 pages into the fifth season and I can honestly say I had no idea what was going on. I think I need to wait until my cognition is cooperating  :idiot::laugh:

I’m taking a break and reading gone girl. God my brain is just being a total asshole lately! Haha

Shayna, I had a bit of trouble with it at first too (I was in a wave). Probably a good idea to wait until you’re feeling better. ❤️

Sheesh I’m glad it wasn’t just me! I was being pretty hard on myself for not getting it. Definitely will come back to it tho.

I think because I’ve seen the movie of gone girl I’ll be able to follow the book easily. My poor brain needs some help atm  :laugh:

Did anyone read Thomas Thompson books?

He was such a good author who died age 49 :(

I really liked Hearts, Blood and Money and Richie....

I finished Malibu Rising a couple days ago. It was disappointing after having read some of her previous books. I’d give it a 3/5. Currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab and Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr.

Sending you all love and light. ❤️ May you all have wide open windows.

Ohhhh I’ve read track of the cat and most of Nevada Barr’s books! They are always so good!

Sorry ladies I haven’t been on here much. I took a much needed break to just work on my taper and my whole house remodel. Went on a couple trips (one was to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks my favorites) the other just to our family cabin in Wisconsin. I did read a book lately called Rise of Wolf 8. It’s about a real wolf they introduced back into Yellowstone and his life. Then when I was in Yellowstone I saw the author watching the wolves and went and took my picture with him! Rick McIntyre is his name. Was awesome! Otherwise I haven’t read much but will get back to it hopefully when my taper and house remodel is done. That’s been a process in itself.overwhelming to say the least. Hope all you ladies are well. I’ve missed this group but knew I wasn’t reading much so didn’t want to bug you guys with non reading nonsense! Lol 😜  I’m close to the finish line with my taper and cannot wait!

Best Wishes to you all!  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

Looks like this board has been quiet for a while.  Hope all of you are ok.  I’ve been having a bit of a rough patch myself but doing better right now (although it is 3:30 a.m.  ;) haven’t felt like reading so have been binge watching TV especially during some of this really hot, humid weather. Also busy with some home projects.

I hadn’t been reading for a few days but started “This Tender Land “ by Kent Kruger. If you liked Ordinary Grace, you will like this. I’m getting close to finishing it. I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve been trying to get to Behind The Scenes At The Museum so will try it next.

Hope you having a good summer or winter depending on which side of the equator you are on!

2cats

Hey 2 cats xx I’ve been a bit slack lately too, just can’t get into any books atm! I’ve started the red tent so I’ll see how I go. I feel like I need to read something really light hearted atm.

I’m glad ur enjoying ur book. I’m looking forward to reading that one too xx 😘

Yeah the red tent has been benched for me before you by jojo moyes. I already love it. Think it’s gunna be a tear jerker but it’s also quite funny. I might come back to the red tent at a later time. It’s a bit biblical for me at this moment in time.

Also heads up for liane moriaty lovers, 9 perfect strangers starts on Amazon prime August 20! Can’t wait!

I’ve been thrifting books like crazy lately. I found hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and basically the whole flowers in the attic series. I also got bran stokers Dracula, another liane moriaty for my collection and the you series for my son as well as mind hunter, and dark places by Gillian Flynn. So I have all of her books too now.

What’s everyone reading?

I’m listening to the disappearing act by Catherine stead man too I love her books.

Happy reading x