Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

Ok back to books.  I had to take a breather....Also another rough patch in wd.

Now ready to read Behind The Scenes at the Museum, Monument Man and Ordinary Grace.

I think when fall comes we will all be ready to hunker down and get to reading again, well except for Shayna and Kits because they have been reading away like crazy!  ..... and that would be  Spring for Shayna anyway! Haha

I have also been distracted by this crazy invasion of the 17 year cicadas.  Our little town is full of them including our yard and trees.  The racket they make can be really piercing and distracting even inside with the AC on!  At first I thought it was interesting but now the novelty has definitely worn off! :idiot:

Oh honey sorry things have been rough but I’m hoping u getting back to reading means things are on the up again? Xx 💋

No u won’t be behind I’m waiting. I won’t be reading anymore from the list until u guys are reading to push on x it’s not as much fun when u can’t discuss it without ruining the plot!

Wow that many cicadas would be maddening!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember liking the book De Tar Baby by Uncle Remus when I was a kid.  It actually has a message in it that kids wouldn't understand. 

I remember liking the book De Tar Baby by Uncle Remus when I was a kid.  It actually has a message in it that kids wouldn't understand.

Becks & Kits

I had that book too or we read it in school.  Walt Disney had a animated movie based on it called Song of the South.  I think it’s been pulled out of circulation because of the way it portrayed African Americans.  ......I don’t remember much details but I thought it had stories that taught good principals.

The tar baby was just made out of tar and terpentine, I read.  The lesson from that story is that the tar baby refers to a problematic situation that is only aggravated by additional involvement with it.  When the rabbit continually punches the tar baby he gets more of it on him.

The tar baby was just made out of tar and terpentine, I read.  The lesson from that story is that the tar baby refers to a problematic situation that is only aggravated by additional involvement with it.  When the rabbit continually punches the tar baby he gets more of it on him.

I like the sound of this story!

Becks & Kits

I had that book too or we read it in school.  Walt Disney had a animated movie based on it called Song of the South.  I think it’s been pulled out of circulation because of the way it portrayed African Americans.  ......I don’t remember much details but I thought it had stories that taught good principals.

Song of the south was one of my favourite movies as a kid. I tried to buy it for my kids and saw disney took it from circulation.

Apparently the tar baby originated from Native American and African folklore and was incorporated into American folklore. Unfortunately the term has also been used as a racist slur toward black people and that’s likely why it was pulled from circulation.

I can understand that, it’s a shame it couldn’t be modified or remade to a story that would be less upsetting. I think it might have been one of the first movie made with a combo of animated and human characters.

Zippety doo dah, zippety ay, my, oh, my, what a wonderful day, plenty of sunshine coming my way.....

Wasn’t that the song from Song of the South? “Mr. bluebird on my shoulder, it’s the truth, it’s actual. Everything is satisfactual.   

Wow that takes me back ! ::)

I only remember it being happy and uplifting. But I was very young.

That’s the song 2 cats. I remember uncle Remus singing that song and just loving it. Memories

I guess because the tar was black and it made the tar baby black they considered it racist.  I'm certain that wasn't the intention when it was written.

I’ve finished mr nobody, great thriller, really enjoyed it !

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44891403-mr-nobody

I’ll finish Malibu rising today, got about 50 pages left. The start was a bit meh…. But it’s chugged along pretty well. Feel a twist coming on. Definitely not in the same league as daisy and the 6 or Evelyn Hugo but I’ve enjoyed it. X

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55404546-malibu-rising

My next audiobook will be the survivors by Jane Harper, and I’ll finish the book of hidden wonders. Then I’m gunna start the Tudor series of Phillipa Gregory! As long as I don’t get distracted by any other books!  :laugh:

I liked the books by Carlos Casteneda.  Read a bunch of those.  The Teachings of Don Juan.  Shamanism teachings.

Becks, my dad and brother both love Carlos Castaneda. I have The Teachings of Don Juan. I’ve never finished it, I should do that. ❤️

I liked the books by Carlos Casteneda.  Read a bunch of those.  The Teachings of Don Juan.  Shamanism teachings.

I’ve never heard of these books becks. They sound interesting xx

I finished reading Malibu rising. I enjoyed it , but not as much as her other books. Have u read it yet kits?

I just finished book of hidden wonders. It was quite good, a bit strange but also sad. Not a bad read tho.

I’ve just started 100 years of Lenni and Margot and I already love this book. It won’t take me long to read this. So far the survivors by Jane Harper is excellent. She is an Aussie author and this will be the second book of hers I’ve read. I also have force of nature which I’m excited to read. She tells a good story.

I went thrifting for books yesterday and picked up a Phillipa Gregory Tudor book (I’m collecting these) the great gatsby (a favorite ) the handmaids tail, petals in the wind (sequel to flowers in the attic) and the sister by Louise Jensen (a thriller). My bookshelves are filling up. I have a pile of books to take to the exchange too so looking forward to seeing what I can pick up! 

Just nerding out on books. Don’t mind me :D

That’s great Shayna! I have family visiting so haven’t been able to read much. I’m enjoying The Fifth Season, it’s really interesting (and there’s also some super f’ed up stuff in it).

I actually screen shot it so I can order it from the library! Sounds great! Is it a new book?

It’s lovely u have some visitors xx I’ve been bingeing workin moms on Netflix so I haven’t been reading  Until today. God that show is hilarious 

It came out in 2015, it’s part of a trilogy. I will probably read the whole trilogy if this book keeps being as good as it is. Apparently they’re making it into a show, I think of Netflix, but not sure.