Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

Just started The skylarks secret so far so good. Anyone else read it yet?

I’ve read it and I loved it!  I know I’ve said this a million times  ;D but I like this author. I’ve read 3 or 4 and they are all good.  Always a wonderful story of past and present! Glad you guys are enjoying it!

I’m in the middle of Winter Garden.  I’m dying to know how it ends. 

Next is Ordinary Grace and then picking up  All The Light We Cannot See at the library and I’ve got The Four Winds on Kindle.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi girls glad ur enjoying ur books aren’t they great? Yes I loved skylarks secret. It took a bit for me at the start to figure out who was telling which story (I listened to audiobook) but I loved it x

I’m still going on all the light but I’ll be finished today. It’s a great story but the chapters are super short and jump from one character to the next and I wish he’d have just written bigger chapters. But the story is great and I’m looking forward to seeing the ending.

Then I’m onto winter garden then I’ll only have the red tent to read from our list and I’ll be done. But there’s a wait for the red tent looks like it’s a popular book.

I’m up to chapter 11 of rebecca and I love it. So far it’s great x

Yes Daphne du Maurier spins a good yarn. Just finished what Alice forgot really enjoyed that. Getting rapid cycling of symptoms at moment, so reading a way  calming down at end of day. Hope you are doing OK Shayna x

Yeah it’s really good so far. I’m looking forward to liane moriatys new book this year. Should be good

I finished all the light last night. I’m honestly glad to be finished. It was a nice story (as much as war stories can be) but I found it to be a tough slog. Again my pick so I’m ok to be a bit negative about it.

I did like it, just as I’ve said before I don’t like jumping around between characters.

I’ve started winter garden and I already love it. Much easier to read x

I finished all the light last night. I’m honestly glad to be finished. It was a nice story (as much as war stories can be) but I found it to be a tough slog. Again my pick so I’m ok to be a bit negative about it.

I did like it, just as I’ve said before I don’t like jumping around between characters.

I’ve started winter garden and I already love it. Much easier to read x

I'm getting close to the end of Winter Garden and I'm glad to get the whole story but the description of the war time conditions are a little rough for me right now.  That being said,  learning the details of those conditions are just a reminder of  the horror that happens during any time of war and makes us aware of the human experience at those times.  I think that during my taper I have become ultra sensitive and emotional about many things that wouldn't have affected me so much before.  Sometimes that is good and sometimes just makes some things too much to handle.

Didn't mean to get too heavy ! :-\

I love the story of the sisters and how they find their way again.  :)

I think I need to read a comedy next! ;D

Yeah 2 cats I’m struggling a bit with war stuff too atm! Maybe skip all the light if ur too sensitive atm. There are some parts towards the end that are very sad.  I found one at the library the other day that sounds good, one hundred years of Lenny and Margot it sounds great.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54798488-the-one-hundred-years-of-lenni-and-margot

Has anyone read the nightingale by Kristin Hannah?

Yeah 2 cats I’m struggling a bit with war stuff too atm! Maybe skip all the light if ur too sensitive atm. There are some parts towards the end that are very sad.  I found one at the library the other day that sounds good, one hundred years of Lenny and Margot it sounds great.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54798488-the-one-hundred-years-of-lenni-and-margot

Has anyone read the nightingale by Kristin Hannah?

I was thinking I had read it but I I haven’t.  I’ve read a handful of books about France during WWII and the French Resistance that I can’t keep them straight  :idiot:

The Dressmaker’s Gift and The Beekeeper’s Promise , both by Fiona Valpy are set there and The Winemaker’s Wife by Kristin Harmel also.  I liked all of those books.

Also saw a series that showed in the US on PBS that was about France and the French Resistence during WWII.  It was well done, I thought.  English subtitles so you had to pay attention! :) I think the name of it was “Resistance’” (said with a French accent)  ;)

Great I’ll keep my eye out for those books thanks 2 cats! Fiona valpy is a great writer so I’d love to read more of hers.

I’ve picked up a few more Phillipa Gregory books in her Tudor series so that’s my latest goal is to find all of them and read them. I’m thrifting like a crazy person lately x

Just watched the woman in the window. I’m not sure who’s idea it was to do it that way but it was sooooo bad. Wow

Just watched it, was quite good until the  end, think they were trying to make into some kind of Hitchcock ending, didn't like the girl on the train film I must say should of been set in London. Finding the skylarks secret bit hard going but I'll carry on.Struggling lot with family crap at moment maybe that's not helping. Just bought a book sounds good. The book of lost names, about someone who provide false identities for Jewish children during the war and what happened to it years after.

Just finished rebecca, I really liked it, now I can watch the movie!

I’m halfway thru winter garden, should be finished by Tuesday.

How’s everyone going with the list? I have 1.5 books left til I’m finished all our picks. I’m happy to go off and read some other books until u girls finish too... I’ve got my eye on quite a few atm

Finding the Skylark's secret a bit boring, taking a long time to get to "The Secret" but don't like give up on a book. I did think the woman in window film was quite good building up the suspense, but makes me cross when they insist on changing the end. Just bought  a Lisa Jewel book as hers are usually pretty good.

Omg winter garden  :'( so sad but beautiful. Imagine how many stories there are like this in the world. Absolutely tragic.

Bloody Kristin Hannah with her tear jerkers!

I’m still waiting for the red tent so I’m reading the dry by Jane Harper next. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27824826-the-dry

Apparently it’s scary so I’ll read it in the morning and at night I’ll read the book of hidden wonders... https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/48635879

I’m also listening to exposure by Aga Lesiewicz on audiobook. It’s a good thriller I’ve enjoyed it. Nearly finished.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33973294-exposure

Hope ur all enjoying ur books ladies x

Book I've just started is good, The lost book of names, by Kristen Harmel, about French girl who makes forged identities fir Jewish children in France during war, what happens when book she records them in turns up years later. I did find Skylark's secret bit ploddy  but the twist at the end was good. Weather here really depressing cold and windy more like winter than coming into Summer.

That sounds like a good book. After winter garden I need a break from war books, although the dry isn’t very uplifting. Good so far tho

Probably not ideal with all family crap having to deal with, sure it will be bit teary in places but sounds good story. Did you ever see Schindlers List that was really moving x

Nah too depressing. Think there’s a girl in a red coat in that too, same as winter garden.

This thread is getting a bit down in the dumps lately. Anyone read anything uplifting lately?

Well , I haven’t read it yet but I have a book in Kindle that sounds pretty good.  More humorous and lighthearted than we’ve been reading.  I thought I might try it just for a break before I finish All The Light We Cannot See.

It’s title is “Confessions of a Curious Bookseller: A Novel by Elizabeth Green.  Google the synopsis.  Maybe it’s a bit lighter.  ;D

I am not on here very much but came across this book club. I want to thank you all for the great book suggestions. I have now taken most of them out of the library and have my summer reading planned. 

For those of you who asked for some 'light' book suggestions here are a few that I have read and enjoyed:

Circling the Sun by Paula McClain - you will recognize the characters from the movie Out of Africa

The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman based on the life of the painter Pissaro

Louise Penny and her mystery books - start with the first one and enjoy - it is best to read them in order-

Again thank you and I posted here so I could easily get back to this book club and see what else you recommend.

Well , I haven’t read it yet but I have a book in Kindle that sounds pretty good.  More humorous and lighthearted than we’ve been reading.  I thought I might try it just for a break before I finish All The Light We Cannot See.

It’s title is “Confessions of a Curious Bookseller: A Novel by Elizabeth Green.  Google the synopsis.  Maybe it’s a bit lighter.  ;D

That actually sounds really good 2 cats! Might put that on my list. A funny book sounds great right now. I think I’ll go to the library for a shop around and see what I can find. Too much dying in my books lately!

I am not on here very much but came across this book club. I want to thank you all for the great book suggestions. I have now taken most of them out of the library and have my summer reading planned. 

For those of you who asked for some 'light' book suggestions here are a few that I have read and enjoyed:

Circling the Sun by Paula McClain - you will recognize the characters from the movie Out of Africa

The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman based on the life of the painter Pissaro

Louise Penny and her mystery books - start with the first one and enjoy - it is best to read them in order-

Again thank you and I posted here so I could easily get back to this book club and see what else you recommend.

Oh welcome k girl! Been a while since we had a newbie on here x nice to see u xx

They sound like great suggestions Thanku. I’m going to make a list of new suggestions and go check out some new options before we start up our list again. It’s great to see what other people are reading and honesty I love this book club because I’ve read so many books I never would have picked myself that I have loved. Must say the lost queen I think 2 cats and kits picked was my absolute favourite x make sure that one go’s on ur list xx

2 all of u girls, why don’t we take a little break from our list and just enjoy our reading for a bit. Make sure u post on here what ur reading because I need to know  :laugh:

My home library is getting out of control so I’m going to whittle it down a bit. Then I’ll go to the book exchange and get some new ones! Can’t wait!

Have you read any Sophie Kinsella think she's more light and fluffy . Joanne Harris who wrote Chicolat is good, her books often have a touch of magic in them. I agree too many war books can be bit depressing, but really like this so far might get more of her books.

Hi there. I'm not officially" in your book club, but I've taken the suggestions of several members and enjoyed the recommended books. I guess I'm a book club "lurker".

Regarding an uplifting book, I can't say enough good things about "News of The World" by Paulette Jiles. Just thought I'd throw that suggestion into the mix.

Thanks for starting the club, Shayna. Read on, gals!

Best wishes,

:smitten:

Katz

Been flicking through Netflix, Shayna you should watch Motherland if you want something funny , it's hilarious, think anyone with kids will really relate to it! The film version of book Katz mentioned is on there to.