Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

Ok so imma open a can of woop ass and start listening to more audiobooks. I gotta try and keep up with u girls! (I’m very competitive so even tho I have no chance I’m gunna give it a crack  :laugh:)

I started rebecca daphne de whatsherface and I’m 3 chapters in and can honestly say I have no idea what’s going on.  ??? God I’m not braining atm. Lucky I saw a bit of the movie so I know what happens at the beginning. Bloody benzo brain. Wakey wakey brain are u in there?  :idiot:

Hang in there with Rebecca, Shayna....I love that book.  She’s a great storyteller.  She has some other books that are good.  You know she wrote “The Birds” - Hitchcock movie

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thanks 2 cats Id never heard of her until Leann actually mentioned her and then I saw the Rebecca movie on netflix, then mentioend her to my Mum and then she told me a few other stories she had written. I didn't know she wrote the birds! wow impressive.

I always struggle at the start of books but lately alot more than usual xx

yeah thanks 2 cats Id never heard of her until Leann actually mentioned her and then I saw the Rebecca movie on netflix, then mentioend her to my Mum and then she told me a few other stories she had written. I didn't know she wrote the birds! wow impressive.

Understand  ;  like others, some days I don’t read at all. 

Daphne deMaurier wrote a book called The Scapegoat that’s pretty good.  There was a movie made just a few years ago of it . Check it out

Oh you are a brave soul to tackle Daphne du whatshername.  I read Jamaica Inn years ago, but then I still had my brain then. 

Audiobooks are great if the right person is reading them. 

I just bought Ordinary Grace and after started reading it, I found I have already read it.  :idiot:

So on to a different book.  Today is going to be a bed day.  I’m already dizzy.  I feel like I’m drunk!

GP, I use the Goodreads app to track all the books I read, otherwise I would do the same! 😆 There’s been a few times where I bought a book only to find out I already had it (just hadn’t read it yet). Rest up, I hope the dizziness passes soon.  :smitten: :smitten:

Understand  ;  like others, some days I don’t read at all. 

Daphne deMaurier wrote a book called The Scapegoat that’s pretty good.  There was a movie made just a few years ago of it . Check it out

I will thanks for the tip! Yeah lately I’m not reading as much as usual. I think it’s coz all the light is dragging a bit for me. I’ll stick with it but I don’t think it’s the book I think it’s just me atm, finding it hard to concentrate. X

Oh you are a brave soul to tackle Daphne du whatshername.  I read Jamaica Inn years ago, but then I still had my brain then. 

Audiobooks are great if the right person is reading them. 

I just bought Ordinary Grace and after started reading it, I found I have already read it.  :idiot:

So on to a different book.  Today is going to be a bed day.  I’m already dizzy.  I feel like I’m drunk!

Yeah I kinda thought it was a big ask but I’ve wanted to read it for a while. Plus I need something to listen to while I do housework or walk.

I agree about audio books I struggle with some accents.

I’m sorry ur dizzy gp feel better lovely xx

You'll love Daphne Du Maurier she wrote some really good books all set in Cornwall. I'm really enjoying What Alice forgot, glad you got me onto her. Just binge watched shadows & Bones which is from series of books, don't normally like fantasy stuff but really good. Bit complicated at first with all different kingdoms.

You'll love Daphne Du Maurier she wrote some really good books all set in Cornwall. I'm really enjoying What Alice forgot, glad you got me onto her. Just binge watched shadows & Bones which is from series of books, don't normally like fantasy stuff but really good. Bit complicated at first with all different kingdoms.

We binged that series too! I have the first book of the series on hold at my library.

Which of her books are set in Cornwall leann? My mum loves Cornwall, she was a huge poldark and doc Martin x

I tried to watch shadow and bone and I fell asleep in the first 10 minutes. I’ll try again!

Most of them are set in Cornwall. She lived there I think. We went to see the Jamacia Inn when were on holiday there. I loved Poldark too, Ross was very easy on the eye!Shadow & Bone is bit confusing at first but really good story. Imagine they'll make more as think there is series of books.

Was Jamaica inn the one with Jane Seymour in it? Mum was telling me about it I think. What a beautiful place. Yes poldark was quite easy on the eye.

Yeah I will try it again, I think my daughter will enjoy it x

Only read the book not seen a film. It's about a pub, the Jamacia Inn and smuggling. It's a bit touristy there now. Yes Cornwall  is very rugged quite dramatic. Have you heard of Thomas Hardy, lot of his books been made into films, set in Dorset which is really pretty county.

He's one of the classics over here like Dickens. I've always loved books, did English Language and Literature when did my exams at school. I've never had a kindle not sure would be the same mind you.

I prefer having a physical book too. I use the kindle app on my iPad for ebooks. I have a kindle, but it’s so slow, it drove me crazy.

If I had an iPad I might use it but too hard to read on a phone.

I’m enjoying rebecca now, I’m starting to remember bits of the movie and it’s helping me put it together. But it’s r n b Friday here today so I’ll be blasting that instead of audiobook today!

The woman in the window is out on Netflix next week! Can’t wait for that x

Most of them are set in Cornwall. She lived there I think. We went to see the Jamacia Inn when were on holiday there. I loved Poldark too, Ross was very easy on the eye!Shadow & Bone is bit confusing at first but really good story. Imagine they'll make more as think there is series of books.

Just jumping in on the Daphne du Maurier discussion.  ;D

Her books “Frenchman’s Creek” & “The House On The Strand” are set in Cornwall.  It’s been years since I read them.  I can’t remember them! That’s sad!  I should revisit them.  I’ve also read her book “Mary Ann”.  Jamaica Inn too.  She can certainly set a mood and create an atmosphere.

As to Poldark, yes, the actor who plays him is definitely easy on the eyes! ;)

I read the first two Poldark books and liked the extra detail but haven’t finished the series....

Dickens is one of my favorites.  It does take a commitment to finish.  Seen all the Masterpiece adaptations.  David Copperfield is my favorite book of his. It’s amazing to me how he connects all the characters that at first seem very distant from each other.  He is great at that.

Thomas Hardy’s “Far From The Madding Crowd” is a great book.  Another favorite.  The movie wasn’t too bad either.

Those are great winter read authors!  Curled up under a blanket with a nice cup of tea!  :thumbsup:

Put those on your list for next winter, Shayna.

I’ve got a good start on Winter Garden and three more of the picks to pick up at library!

Going a little slow.... I am starting to work out in the yard planting flowers and spring cleaning the landscaping.  Got some tomatoes plants this week and a bunch of flowers.  Hoping I feel well enough to get them all in the ground and in pots. Everyday is a crap shoot!.....

Happy reading everybody! 

gardening sounds lovely 2 cats, enjoy the warmer weather x Ive actually read far from the madding crowd, I forgot it was years ago tho.

My sis in law has read poldark, she loved it.

Too many books so little time!

Its moving into winter here now so thats pretty much all Ill be doing!

Current picks!

#1 In a Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware

#2 Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

#3 The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney

#4 The Light After the War - Anita Abriel

#5 Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah

#6 The Woman in the Window - AJ Finn

#7 The Lost Queen - Signe Pike

#8 The Skylark’s Secret - Fiona Valpy

#9 The Secrets We Kept - Lara Prescott

#10 All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

#11 The Four Winds - Kristin Hannah

#12 The Last Monument - Michael C Grumley

#13 Ordinary Grace - William Kent Kruger

#14 The Red Tent - Anita Diamant

#15 Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson

gardening sounds lovely 2 cats, enjoy the warmer weather x Ive actually read far from the madding crowd, I forgot it was years ago tho.

My sis in law has read poldark, she loved it.

Too many books so little time!

Its moving into winter here now so thats pretty much all Ill be doing!

Oh, yeah I forgot you were in a different hemisphere!  ;D

Just jumping in on the Daphne du Maurier discussion.  ;D

Her books “Frenchman’s Creek” & “The House On The Strand” are set in Cornwall.  It’s been years since I read them.  I can’t remember them! That’s sad!  I should revisit them.  I’ve also read her book “Mary Ann”.  Jamaica Inn too.  She can certainly set a mood and create an atmosphere.

As to Poldark, yes, the actor who plays him is definitely easy on the eyes! ;)

I read the first two Poldark books and liked the extra detail but haven’t finished the series....

Dickens is one of my favorites.  It does take a commitment to finish.  Seen all the Masterpiece adaptations.  David Copperfield is my favorite book of his. It’s amazing to me how he connects all the characters that at first seem very distant from each other.  He is great at that.

Thomas Hardy’s “Far From The Madding Crowd” is a great book.  Another favorite.  The movie wasn’t too bad either.

Those are great winter read authors!  Curled up under a blanket with a nice cup of tea!  :thumbsup:

Put those on your list for next winter, Shayna.

I’ve got a good start on Winter Garden and three more of the picks to pick up at library!

Going a little slow.... I am starting to work out in the yard planting flowers and spring cleaning the landscaping.  Got some tomatoes plants this week and a bunch of flowers.  Hoping I feel well enough to get them all in the ground and in pots. Everyday is a crap shoot!.....

Happy reading everybody!

A lot of Dickens is set in my county as he lived here. We went to see the house were he wrote Bleak House it's a hotel now There is a Dickens museum here with his original Summer House in the grounds? Jamacia Inn was on Dartmoor from what I remember. Think most Daphne Du Maurier books were set in Devon or Cornwall. I remember for school final exams we had really boring Shakespere play Henry second I think, as the nuns didn't think the other choice of Romeo & Juliet was suitable😫

Leann, I think Shayna has finished it. I’m about 35% of the way in. Took me a bit to get into and now I’m really enjoying it!