Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

You should read heatwave is a real psychocological thriller. I've read some of Phillipa Gregory not big fan of Royal historical novels. I did O level in History when I was at school many eons ago, think had too much of it then just find it bit boring now. Our paper full of the Royals with Prince Philip dying, he certainly had a good innings, least gives us break from covid! They're all back on royal duties stiff upper lip and all that!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m actually not sure if I’ll keep going with the sanatorium. I’m not in the right headspace for anything too murdery right now. I’ll go a bit further and see what it’s like but I’m a bit fragile atm so think I might lay off thrillers for a bit. I want to watch Phil’s funeral but it’s on at midnight here. He certainly had a longer life than most. Shame he didn’t get the telegram from the queen

I’m about 1/3 of the way through The Secrets We Kept.  So far it’s pretty fascinating.  Shayna, it is a little hard to follow with the back and forth but I’m getting my bearings now with that.

Very interesting story. I don’t remember who picked it but great choice!

I’m about 1/3 of the way through The Secrets We Kept.  So far it’s pretty fascinating.  Shayna, it is a little hard to follow with the back and forth but I’m getting my bearings now with that.

It was my pick! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it!

It was my pick! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it!

:thumbsup:;D

Yeah I don’t know why I struggle so much with these books. I really struggled with joy luck club too. Maybe coz my cognition is a mess x but the story is great xx

Hi Club!

I’ve been reading these great books, thank you all for the selections.  After reading The Secrets We Kept, I most definitely will be adding Dr Zhivago to my list.

I’m on The Lost Queen trilogy.  I have to reaD each book before I can resume our list.  It looks like this is where Game of Thrones got its ideas and then made it a bit more science fiction.  There are so many clues!  Totally loving this book.

I have read all of Philippa Gregory’s Tudor series.  They were all outstanding. I love reading those types of historical fiction.  The Lost Queen trilogy is now one of my favs!

Love to all.

I’m finally starting Light Before the War. I’m going to stay away from the library until I whittle this list down a bit. 😆😆 This is book #32!

Current picks! As always, there’s no rush and it’s fine to read them out of order (several of us are  :laugh: :laugh:). Sending you all love and light! ❤️🌸❤️🌸❤️

#1 In a Dark, Dark Wood - Ruth Ware

#2 Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson

#3 The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney

#4 The Light After the War - Anita Abriel

#5 Winter Garden - Kristin Hannah

#6 The Woman in the Window - AJ Finn

#7 The Lost Queen - Signe Pike

#8 The Skylark’s Secret - Fiona Valpy

#9 The Secrets We Kept - Lara Prescott

#10 All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

#11 The Four Winds - Kristin Hannah

Bump!

Hi Club!

I’ve been reading these great books, thank you all for the selections.  After reading The Secrets We Kept, I most definitely will be adding Dr Zhivago to my list.

I’m on The Lost Queen trilogy.  I have to reaD each book before I can resume our list.  It looks like this is where Game of Thrones got its ideas and then made it a bit more science fiction.  There are so many clues!  Totally loving this book.

I have read all of Philippa Gregory’s Tudor series.  They were all outstanding. I love reading those types of historical fiction.  The Lost Queen trilogy is now one of my favs!

Love to all.

Hey gp! I loved the lost queen, the 3rd book doesn’t come out for 2 years! I got the mists of Avalon series to read too.... similar story line

I’m finally starting Light Before the War. I’m going to stay away from the library until I whittle this list down a bit. 😆😆 This is book #32!

I know it’s bad! I just started all the light we cannot see x

I know it’s bad! I just started all the light we cannot see x

That one is so good. You’re going to love it.

Hi Club!

Love to all.

Hey gp! I loved the lost queen, the 3rd book doesn’t come out for 2 years! I got the mists of Avalon series to read too.... similar story line

2 years!  Noooooo, say it isn’t so.  Oh well, back to the list then!

I’m embarrassed to say I just finished #43.  I better get busy doing something else!

I’m embarrassed to say I just finished #43.  I better get busy doing something else!

Damn GP! You’re making me look like a slowpoke!

well I have finished number .......16  :laugh:

Do u girls ever sleep? I mean I should be double what you have read!

I just started the audio of the last monument... Im already hooked!

Hello, my name is shayna, and I’m an addict. Seriously there is something wrong with me. Ok so I’m like right, I’m taking some books back to the library coz I’m not gunna get thru these! I have too many books.. I left them at the library... walked out with no books. Winning. Stopped off at the thrift shop, and bought more books home . Omg u guys! I need to join a 12 step for book nerds. It’s a problem. I am however almost finished collecting all liane moriatys books and now made a dent in my Phillipa Gregory collection. But that’s it for the week.

???

Shayna, it’s self care. If book shopping makes you feel good (and we all need that) then do it. Within limits of course.  :smitten:

Oh snap kits made it all ok! Thanku kits! I think one day you and I are going to be on hoarders where there’s people trying to find us in a house filled to the ceiling with books. And we’ll be like.... “what?”  :laugh:

Just finished Light After the War. I agree that all the good things that happened to them are a bit unbelievable, but I really loved when she talks about Budapest. My partner is of Hungarian ancestry and we visited Budapest when I was pregnant with our son. We saw The Nutcracker at the Budapest Opera House (she described it perfectly, gold paintings and red velvet seats) and visited the Holocaust Museum. Beautiful and somber. I don’t know how anyone could walk through that museum without crying. I will never forget the pictures I saw. She described the people of the city seeming grim and bleak. That was the impression we got even 70 years later.

One of my favorite memories of that city though, the last night we were there we decided to find our way to the train station so we’d know how to get there the next day (we were taking the train to Vienna). We were walking through the streets when a sudden thunderstorm hit. It was right over the city and it was pouring. It was so dark on the streets that when lightning struck it illuminated everything. It was magical.  :smitten: :smitten:

Wow that sounds amazing kits. Thanks for sharing that! I’ve never been OS so I love hearing about other countries x such a beautiful memory for u and hubby x

I have a friend that visited auschwitz. I couldn’t go there, I would get so angry I think. All those poor people.

I usually love war books but this one was just annoying (I can say that coz I picked it!) it could have been much better. It just felt unrealistic that all those things happened. I know it’s only based on her story but I wonder how much of it is true.

Anyway as far as war books go, ladydens pick of the skylarks secret was much better. It just flowed beautifully I thought. I really loved it.

So far  all the light we cannot see is excellent. And so is the last monument... omg excellent!

Hey kits I was wondering if we can run the next 3 books? Just so we can get organized? I don’t know if I’ll read the mists of Avalon. I think I need to take things easy now I’m in acute x

Great memories, Kits, thanks for sharing! 

I’m almost done with The Secrets We Kept . Very intriguing story.  I enjoyed it.  Can’t imagine what life was like under Soviet rule. I can’t remember if I read Dr Zhivago or just saw the movie.  The movie was very long, I remember.

Will be moving on to The Skylark’s Secret!