Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Clonazepam

[dr...]

We don't know all of the facts.  Maybe he found what he thought was the best rehab for Benzos.  I am sure the first thing he did was consult some doctors--which means that they might not have known what they were talking about and sent him to one that will cold turkey him or rapid taper him far too fast and release him to deal with the horrid aftereffects of being cold turkeyed or tapered too fast.

Don't forget that all of these places think that they do it right and will be very confident about the fact if asked.  If you have problems afterwards--well, they will tell you that is probably because you are not trying hard enough, are an addict, or need further treatment, blah, blah, blah.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [Fi...]

• [Ja...]

Talked to one a few days ago and they said it would take 7 days to get me off 3mg of Klonopin. My mom started yelling at the guy telling him he had no idea what he was talking about and that he was a criminal. I think she felt better afterwards. The confidence we all have in our entrenched ignorance is one of our more enduring traits.

Talked to one a few days ago and they said it would take 7 days to get me off 3mg of Klonopin. My mom started yelling at the guy telling him he had no idea what he was talking about and that he was a criminal. I think she felt better afterwards. The confidence we all have in our entrenched ignorance is one of our more enduring traits.

YIKES! That's scary as hell.

I really do hope that JP gets the care he needs. Clearly, he didn't have to go south of the border to get help, but I assume he had his reasons for doing so. Apparently, money was not a limiting aspect for him, or he would have stayed here in Ontario.

He has been a strong proponent of anti depressants. He has been a believer in chemistry as the answer to some things.

I must assume he was on them at some point. He has given the whole spiel about: it's a sickness like diabetes etc.

So if he hits the wall and has a discontinuation experience that goes beyond his wildest ideas about the relationship between his body, his mind and his medications, which we all know is very possible, it will be very critical how he metabolizes the new situation.

He can't be in a rehab for over a month for this. At some point it will dawn that it's not detoxification he's working at but his own neuroplasticity, and it is better at home.

They may tell him it’s PTSD from his wife’s illness, or an underlying autoimmune disease, or his diet, or any of the other theories the rest of us have heard. He needs to hear from us.

Is it clear whether he's still on the antidepressant? If he's trying to come off two meds at once, that could be hugely problematic. But, of course, there can be serious interactions between different kinds of medications that are taken concurrently, and there can also be genetic effects (e.g. CYP450 enzymes) on any given medication or combination thereof. It's far from cut-and-dried.

I'm not a big youtube fan (except for music videos) but, it appears many are so there is this re:

"Why It Matters Jordan Peterson Is In Rehab":

best wishes to all, including the Petersons

That was an interesting Youtube video, but it brought up a couple questions for me:

1. Did JP actually want this issue to be public, or did his daughter go ahead and make it public without his consent?

2. Why is this guy referring to JP as if he's American when he's Canadian? JP could have accessed provincially-covered medical help right here in Canada, but for whatever reason, he chose to pay for services in NY. I do understand, though, that the host wanted to make a point about such things not being available to all.

Peterson linked to his daughters announcement, so that seems to be an endorsement of it.

I’m sure the host thinks he’s American, every American thinks every Canadian is American until told differently (I overstate). I STILL think Neil Young is American and I KNOW he’s not.

Aha! Thanks, QQ, for the info.

Yeah, well, a few Canadians have gone south to hang out (Joni, Neil, etc.), so I can see why there might be some confusion. But JP is a U. of Toronto prof!

And Celine has an unmistakably French-Canadian accent!  Hard to make a boo-boo there!

That was an interesting Youtube video, but it brought up a couple questions for me:

1. Did JP actually want this issue to be public, or did his daughter go ahead and make it public without his consent?

2. Why is this guy referring to JP as if he's American when he's Canadian? JP could have accessed provincially-covered medical help right here in Canada, but for whatever reason, he chose to pay for services in NY. I do understand, though, that the host wanted to make a point about such things not being available to all.

Who knows?

As I've stated before, the Peterson family appears to have many problems, not just the benzo issue.

Did JP go on the "Lion Diet" believing it would "heal" him? Did he do it for another reason like, pressure from his daughter or for monetary gain?

Re: seeking health care in Canada, I understand he didn't part ways with the University of Toronto on friendly terms and I believe there are several still pending lawsuits there and with former associates.

I did like how the host said that self-help was not the way to fix every issue, many problems are systemic and have to be addressed accordingly. I feel like those words speak to us as a benzo community.

One example: Imagine how much more productive this news cycle over this mans pain would be if they used the word dependence instead of addiction. It makes it sound like he was gobbling pills. If people used dependence and explained what that means it would highlight that even “responsible” use can lead to a destroyed life. But people don’t talk that way about benzos. Even after decades. What can we do to change that?

Oh, Fi, thanks. I didn't know he was no longer a prof there. That may explain things. Perhaps he was just too uncomfortable to seek care at a hospital where there might be any sort of connection (e.g. teaching hospitals). Suffice to say, as a Canadian citizen with a valid provincial health card, he could have sought care in many places. Also, there are for-profit rehab places here too. Maybe this NY one was suggested for a good reason.

I wish it was suggested for a good reason. However, based on what hos daughter said in her video it sounds like they gave her a lot of bad information and therefore I think they don’t know what they are doing like every other rehab place. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

I'm not a big youtube fan (except for music videos) but, it appears many are so there is this re:

"Why It Matters Jordan Peterson Is In Rehab":

best wishes to all, including the Petersons

What a sad, sad comments section. A guy takes some doctor prescribed clonazepam to deal with the stress of a serious illness of his wife and all anyone can think about is shunning him for being an "addict" and slamming him for supposedly being a hypocrite because he teaches people to take personal responsibility for their lives.

This go a few of different ways. He could either have a huge awakening as to the dangers of psych drugs and being the truth seeker he is he could want to set the record straight with all of these know it alls and eventually become a vocal advocate for the cause. Or, he could choose to minimize damage to his reputation by going the complete opposite direction and apologizing for something he didn't do. Or, he could simply try to weather the storm quietly knowing that the current news cycle will mostly sweep it under the rug in a few weeks.

JP isn't the type to back down to bullies especially when the truth is on his side, but who knows, he is probably making millions at this point and it might be hard to justify giving that up just to try to drill some sense into knuckleheads who are mostly incapable of thinking for themselves.

Did JP go on the "Lion Diet" believing it would "heal" him? Did he do it for another reason like, pressure from his daughter or for monetary gain?

What exactly does his diet have to do with this situation?

I think he went on the lion diet because he truly believes in it. Autoimmune diets are tough but they do work. This would be the most extreme but if it helped his daughter it would make sense it could work for him since autoimmune disease has a genetic component. I also don’t believe that going into benzo withdrawal or dealing with a traumatic life situation disproves this at all. Therefore, I have to agree with FloridaGuy here in questioning the relevance here.

I wish it was suggested for a good reason. However, based on what hos daughter said in her video it sounds like they gave her a lot of bad information and therefore I think they don’t know what they are doing like every other rehab place. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

From the little public information that is available about this situation, it sounds like he is heading into a situation where he will be either cold turkeyed or ultra fast tappered.  Neither of which are likely to allow him to get off benzos without a lot of long protracted suffering.  But the experts at the rehab are likely to tell him that this is the way it is done and they never have long term problems. 

I hope he is enough of a truth seeker to find a better way.

I feel very bad for anyone who is in this type of situation.

What exactly does his diet have to do with this situation?

Who knows?  His daughter, it is widely reported, also consumed & maybe still consumes significant amounts of vodka & bourbon along with her water, beef & salt. If her father followed his daughter's "lion diet" he may be in rehab for more than benzos.

Note: Labels on benzos warn not to consume alcohol while taking them.

Why the negative overtones regarding the Peterson’s? They suffer from mental illness and took drugs like the rest of us here on this forum to address the issues. Separate the politics from the man. He’s just another person who is being damaged by these drugs.

I think some of the negative overtones are because he is a clinical psychologist who promoted the use of these drugs. I did not know this before yesterday but I looked into it and was able to find footage of him defending these drugs. In my deepest darkest hours of benzo withdrawal I wished terrible things on the doctors of the field who did this to me. So there is a sort of poetic justice when a blissfully ignorant member of the field who hurt us got a taste of their own medicine. Now let me be clear, this is wrong. But I have had dark enough thoughts to understand this way of thinking if I am being completely honest. I think it is best that we avoid thinking like this and extend our compassion to preserve our humanity. That’s my two cents.

She has not, and I don’t expect her to. I think she gets a lot of emails and notices right now. But if enough of them have good, supportive advice then I hope it would lead to better treatment and just better education all around. He is now the most famous person publicly going through this in the (western) world. Why not reach out?

Who knows?  His daughter, it is widely reported, also consumed & maybe still consumes significant amounts of vodka & bourbon along with her water, beef & salt. If her father followed his daughter's "lion diet" he may be in rehab for more than benzos.

Note: Labels on benzos warn not to consume alcohol while taking them.

Once again, what does his diet have to do with his benzo situation. Better yet, what does the fact that his daughter drinks alcohol have to do with anything?

You are grasping at straws to find something to attack a person who is suffering at the hand of benzos. Nice.

I think some of the negative overtones are because he is a clinical psychologist who promoted the use of these drugs. I did not know this before yesterday but I looked into it and was able to find footage of him defending these drugs.

This is a 100% valid criticism but I don't think it has anything to do with most of the snide remarks.