Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Clonazepam

[dr...]

I'm not conservative and I'm not liberal, but I have a appreciated a lot of what Jordan Peterson has said about taking personal responsibility and initiative. I am definitely not a conservative, nor do I come from a conservative/republican background... and I still like Jordan Peterson.

I haven't watched enough and I removed an emotional reply I'd made earlier that I still agree with and may or not re-post, but I definitely appreciate some of what he embodies. He may not have all the answers or be entirely correct about each thing he says, or does, but which of us is? I haven't taken in enough to know enough to say anything at all really.

I don't know that the personal ethics he espouses necessarily have anything to do with being conservative or republican. Ideological systems are very strange to me also and I would agree with Peterson in that they are dangerous. I don't agree with all of either "side" that is supposed to represent the left or right in America. I feel like it is extremely complicated but that the special interests that fund things made up of the 1% (or whichever small amount) are tied to the incredibly small amount of people who run everything on the planet, and that they influence both sides and prevent any helpful legislature from being passed. I don't think this is conspiracy theory at all. It's pretty plain that the wealthiest run things, that they don't have any concern for our health or wellbeing or the health of the only planet we inhabit. Also that they are a relative few compared to the rest of the earth's population. They play to everything that is flawed and corruptible in human nature. Capitalism on it's own isn't the answer in my opinion, because we don't even really have a free-market capitalist system in the U.S., what we have is an oligarchy and that is also what the world has. I remember someone, maybe it is the sociologist Charles Derber (or another I'm not remembering) who is able to extrapolate on this and may have the correct phrasing.

This is becoming political, when we aren't supposed to talk about politics here which is redundant for me to state. I wanted to express, though, that because someone has old fashioned values doesn't make them republican or conservative. And not all of us who appreciate old fashioned ways are intolerant, bigoted, etc. Not all of us who believe that healthcare and medicine desperately need re-structuring/improvement/regulation, that corporations need to be regulated and subdued, that our increasingly denuted and abused natural environment needs our attention, or who believe in tolerance and good internal social structures which are set in place to help the injured, handicapped or disadvantaged, are far-left. Too, it doesn't mean that someone like me does not appreciate whatever it is I can't quite put a name to or describe yet that I agree with when I've listened to Jordan Peterson, or that I don't think we all need to work when we are capable.

It's too bad as a psychologist he wasn't able to see the dangers of pharmaceutecals, maybe this will change if he is able to live through it and recover enough from the utter nightmare and life-threatening nature of iatrogenic benzodiazepine injury and withdrawal.

(Also this wouldn't mean that all conservatives are bigoted, etc. I'm just not one. Probably I'm Independent. I definitely didn't vote for the sitting President in the US.)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [Fi...]

• [Ja...]

Actually I think if you have old fashioned values then you are conservative. It’s kind of the text book definition. However, being conservative is not the same thing as being Republican. Republican is just a political party.

Actually I think if you have old fashioned values then you are conservative. It’s kind of the text book definition. However, being conservative is not the same thing as being Republican. Republican is just a political party.

Thank you Jack. I probably need to learn more and have my thoughts better organized. I'm sure I'll keep reading and listening to videos on YouTube until I can more clearly define my position.

I think that I can't be defined as conservative, because in some ways I am most certainly not. This is all very important for me to understand more thoroughly and look into. I probably am in some ways, and quite progressive in others.

What say we drop the politics so this thread doesn't get nuked?

As someone else posted in the This is Life thread, on Twitter JP posted the link to the bombshell benzo episode that it airing in a couple of weeks, so he is already spreading awareness folks!

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a functional brain that would allow me to make a benzo documentary with interviews from high profile people who have been affected by them and the families of people who have died while on these drugs where benzos are suspected to have played a role. It's one thing for a bunch of plebs like us to make noise, it's another thing altogether when someone with a nationwide or worldwide platform speaks up.

What say we drop the politics so this thread doesn't get nuked?

As someone else posted in the This is Life thread, on Twitter JP posted the link to the bombshell benzo episode that it airing in a couple of weeks, so he is already spreading awareness folks!

Man, what I wouldn't give to have a functional brain that would allow me to make a benzo documentary with interviews from high profile people who have been affected by them and the families of people who have died while on these drugs where benzos are suspected to have played a role. It's one thing for a bunch of plebs like us to make noise, it's another thing altogether when someone with a nationwide or worldwide platform speaks up.

Probably you are right. I did hope he would come forward and I'm very pleased that he has.

I think plebeians can be just as interesting, but I like your idea FG. I would definitely be on board and helping if it were ever possible. "As Prescribed" should be out by the end of this year, and I'm grateful for the other recent developments. Although the "This Is Life" episode wasn't bad I'm still not satisfied.

I think Holly Hardman will do a good job, it looks like she's putting all she has into it. It likely won't be the last project and I'm very thankful for BIC, Ashton and all of everything that has been accomplished up to this point.

Drad dog,

No one has a problem with authoritarianism when the authoritarian is enforcing their views. The problem is once you open the door to authoritarianism it can not be closed. One day the theoretical current authoritarian with be replaced by one who espouses views different from yours and that is when your rights will be trampled. But it will be too late because you voted for the trampling of your rights back when you voted for authoritarianism because it was convenient at the time. You should be against right wing authoritarianism as am I as a right winger. Because any power I support when my side is in power will be the same power that my opposing party will have when it is their turn to take power. If I support the right taking away your rights today then I am supporting the left taking away my rights in the future.

What rights, exactly? Is it freedom from pronouns for non binary people? That is a real issue? What is beneath that? That's where it gets real.

I just hope JP does not blame his benzo experience on a marxist conspiracy, or a pronoun advocacy organization.

I think plebeians can be just as interesting, but I like your idea FG.

I am not insinuating that the voices of regular people aren't important, I just know that people who are famous not only have a platform but they also have influence.

I would definitely be on board and helping if it were ever possible. "As Prescribed" should be out by the end of this year, and I'm grateful for the other recent developments. Although the "This Is Life" episode wasn't bad I'm still not satisfied.

My only criticism would be that they didn't touch on the fact that symptoms can persist for a very long time. They absolutely nailed it as far as provoking an emotional response goes though. I imagine normal people are going to have a visceral response sitting there watching that poor guy suffering before he took his own life.

I think Holly Hardman will do a good job, it looks like she's putting all she has into it. It likely won't be the last project and I'm very thankful for BIC, Ashton and all of everything that has been accomplished up to this point.

The trailers seem promising. And I agree, I am extremely grateful to everyone who has fought long and hard to get us to this point.

Here is Rogan talking about JP's benzo withdrawal-

Some of the comments are pretty cringeworthy but it has 2.5 million views over 4 days, so that's something.

People are talking folks! The Lisa Ling thing couldn't have come at a better time.

In the comments of the Rogan video I just posted a lot of people are slamming JP for being an addict. I think he might be looking to set the record straight when he eventually gets through this.

Drad,

What rights exactly? Freedom of speech. Once the government can control what you are allowed to say then there is no putting the cat back in the bag. A government that can fine or jail you for misuse of pronouns can also fine or jail you for endangering public health by spreading “false” information about benzodiazepines on an internet forum. It sets a dangerous precedence.

If JP can, at some point, clarify the difference between addiction and physical dependency, and even explain to his wide audience how benzos work, it would be very valuable. The issue needs to be blown open. For me, the recent U. of Arizona symposium on benzo withdrawal (Sept. 16) was very important, and if these recent events and media coverage lead to more awareness and more answers, it would be extraordinary. We need it. As soon as possible. Please.

If JP can, at some point, clarify the difference between addiction and physical dependency, and even explain to his wide audience how benzos work, it would be very valuable. The issue needs to be blown open. For me, the recent U. of Arizona symposium on benzo withdrawal (Sept. 16) was very important, and if these recent events and media coverage lead to more awareness and more answers, it would be extraordinary. We need it. As soon as possible. Please.

Yes Lapis, I don't know why I didn't mention the University of Arizona Benzo Withdrawal Symposium. I am very pleased with this even though my wording about it elsewhere (on my blog I think one time yesterday) could have been misinterpreted.

I fully agree, and I am waiting with baited breath for the next symposiums lined up. Great to be here with you all when finally we are getting some satisfaction--it's just the beginning I'm sure.

Thanks so much for everything along the way in my own trek through recovery, hope you are feeling arlight today.

The terms 'left' and 'right' have no meaning anymore...they've been subsumed into the 2 capitalist parties.

And JP promoting 'personal responsibility' is just another way to atomize us cuz after all, there is no such thing as 'society', right?  We are all just free floating individuals with the exact same opportunities. (no)

What a lot of people do not understand is that some folks are born on 2ond base (or even third or more).  Those that are chastised for not 'taking personal responsibility' aren't even in the dugout.

The system is not fair folks.

And yeah, the left are even better little nazis than the right and I'm a leftist.  I will not change my language for a few loud white males who want to pretend they're 'women' and take over women's spaces (like rape crisis centers or sports teams or in prison).  Tired of the whole 'identity politics' cuz it keeps us divided and kicking down.  We need to address the fat cats at the top of the heap who are monetizing every little thing about US and our lives.

Yes Lapis, I don't know why I didn't mention the University of Arizona Benzo Withdrawal Symposium. I am very pleased with this even though my wording about it elsewhere (on my blog I think one time yesterday) could have been misinterpreted.

I fully agree, and I am waiting with baited breath for the next symposiums lined up. Great to be here with you all when finally we are getting some satisfaction--it's just the beginning I'm sure.

Thanks so much for everything along the way in my own trek through recovery, hope you are feeling arlight today.

Thanks, mp. It's been a brutal time for me, and I'm just surviving at this point. Hoping for some positive changes for all of us.

The media attention is giving me a bit of hope, though, that some attention may be brought to the fore.

In the meantime, I wish Jordan Peterson well and hope he's getting the help he needs.

Yes, cookienose, I think I agree. I don’t know if I understand what you mean by sports teams and prisons but I think we agree again.

(And I hope you are doing alright too, and please know I always hope this and that you are also a treasure to me.)

The terms 'left' and 'right' have no meaning anymore...they've been subsumed into the 2 capitalist parties.

And JP promoting 'personal responsibility' is just another way to atomize us cuz after all, there is no such thing as 'society', right?  We are all just free floating individuals with the exact same opportunities. (no)

What a lot of people do not understand is that some folks are born on 2ond base (or even third or more).  Those that are chastised for not 'taking personal responsibility' aren't even in the dugout.

And yeah, the left are even better little nazis than the right and I'm a leftist.  I will not change my language for a few loud white males who want to pretend they're 'women' and take over women's spaces (like rape crisis centers or sports teams or in prison).  Tired of the whole 'identity politics' cuz it keeps us divided and kicking down.  We need to address the fat cats at the top of the heap who are monetizing every little thing about US and our lives.

Definitely tired of identity politics. Your bottom paragraph here goes to show that being leftist does not mean that you support everything that you are told to by the identitarians. For example, I am a right winger that supports gay marriage. I don’t run around campaigning for it but if asked to vote on it I would support it. This is just one of many examples how we don’t fit into the prepackaged categories that they would like is to. .

Exactly, Jack.

I don't give a crap what people do in the privacy of their own homes (no pedos or women beating tho...).

And mon pilote  :smitten:

hugs to you...hope you are seeing glimpses of that light at the end of the tunnel.

I had a nice window for a week but experienced one of the worst migraines I've ever had yesterday.  The med I've been prescribed seems to be *giving* me headaches!  Gotta love capitalism...

Drad,

What rights exactly? Freedom of speech. Once the government can control what you are allowed to say then there is no putting the cat back in the bag. A government that can fine or jail you for misuse of pronouns can also fine or jail you for endangering public health by spreading “false” information about benzodiazepines on an internet forum. It sets a dangerous precedence.

Thank you. Apparently no one else sees this as a problem.

Social media is already censoring vaccine information, how much of a stretch would it be for big pharma to use this as a tool to censor information about ANY drugs? I'm not saying that big pharma is even involved with the vaccine thing and I am not making a value judgment about the anti-vax thing, I am saying that the precedent is already being set and this should concern everyone.

THe system is unfair; both sides do it; there is no diffference, or left or right anymore; tired of "identity politics". I hear that all the time. Usually it means someone is to the right, not the left. I rarely hear leftists worried about transexual infiltration of institutions. In the human enterprise 21st century it's not a big enough deal to be near a priority.

You just called out transexuals for their pronouns being unreasonable, which may be "identity politics", but the conclusion you reach about that is that we need to address fat cats. Because they are dividing us? By making transexuals adopt pronouns? What do fat cats have to do with that? They are OK with hating transexuals. They have no problem with anyone calling out the system like you are doing, as long as they revert to the trope of "both sides do it" which indicates their subservience to the plan, which is turning out to be "surveillance capitalism." That s the key. If you stop saying that they will be concerned. There is a great book by Shoshonna Zuboff called "Surveillance capitalism" It's fairly new and I think essential for anyone who is on any social media.

Drad,

Thank you. Apparently no one else sees this as a problem.

Social media is already censoring vaccine information, how much of a stretch would it be for big pharma to use this as a tool to censor information about ANY drugs? I'm not saying that big pharma is even involved with the vaccine thing and I am not making a value judgment about the anti-vax thing, I am saying that the precedent is already being set and this should concern everyone.

Social media is not a benign public presence, like newspapers used to be. What appears and doesn't, and what cannot, on social media, controlled by algorithms, is a big ethical project of mankind right now, really.

It is curated by algorithms for the commercial benefit of advertisers. You are not the object of this, or the point. So what appears is not subject to appeals to them as a "public trust", or a utility, or to an ethical or moral standard, unless it's imposed legally. I don't think it's censorship anymore in such a complex system.

People can't look at facebook as the newspaper. It has already been a disaster.

I'm lost! Are we still talking about Jordan Peterson in rehab? Any news on that at all?

https://sputniknews.com/viral/201909251076885706-joe-rogan-reflects-on-painkiller-use-as-jordan-peterson-checks-into-rehab-over-tough-drug/

Speaking on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast over the weekend, stand-up comedian Mark Normand said of Peterson: “He’s one of these guys that you’re like ‘He’s tough as a bull, it’ll be fine,’ but then, you know, everybody’s human.”

Rogan replied that although he had never experienced opiate withdrawal, Peterson was “wise enough to understand his physical limitations.”

“It might actually be a smart thing to check yourself into a rehab with people that know how to deal with it and help you through it,” he added.

Like it or not, JP is a *political* figure.

Yeah, I'm just pretending...eh?

Filtering information and sifting it for truth is sadly not done by most 'citizens'.  Most 'citizens' think that voting every 4 years is enough.

But it's not.  The propaganda is thick and discernment lacking by so many sitting in front of their TeeVees where opinion holds as much weight as facts.

It's an upside down crazy world out there...and we're all in it together.  It's WE not ME.