Looking for Buddies - LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

[Lo...]

I really appreciate the input and the wisdom, I really do.  I have spent a great deal of time on the Ashton Manual.  Nothing is set in stone. I am an open book.  My Docs are experienced with this sort of thing and are most comfortable with 8 weeks.  Please keep in mind that I have multiple other health issues that are quite painful and take monitoring.  My y Integrative Doc is pleased that I have refused Plaquenal, antidepressants, Methotrexate and on and on.  I take nothing.  I meditate, practice the works of Dr Claire Weeks (primarily Acceptance therapy), walk briskly and eat healthy.  Also, a number of years ago I was on Xanax @ .75mg and weaned off in 1-2 weeks.

Having said the above I was not aware that even at a low dose this would become a potential problem.  My Wife and I are thinking that I might change from 7 to ten days for each of the 8 reductions.  Of course, this would extend the weaning period from 56 to 80 days. I am completely open and will play it by ear.

For 70 years I have been a health nut. Even when autoimmune issues caused many problems I continue exercise as I am able. This whole drug thing is new to me. I took Xanax for anxiety, Tinnitus, Neuropathy pain, to get some sleep etc.  This whole issue is foreign to my nature.

I absolutely HATE Xanax.  I can not tell you how much I dispise putting the pills in my mouth each day.

I hope all the best for everyone,

Rcristal

Hello and welcome!  We are glad you are here.  It looks like you have quite a good group of doctors that are willing to help you and that is great.  I do agree with Baddove that your taper plan looks a little fast but also that we respect what you decide to do.  We are here to support you and offer any help we can.

Having said that - I want to respond to something you wrote - Having said the above I was not aware that even at a low dose this would become a potential problem.

We are all different in how we react to Xanax but alot of us have found that even at a dose of .25 once a day or twice a day, for shorter periods of time than the two years you have been on it, can cause a great deal of withdrawal and discomfort.  No two people are the same but Xanax is a very strong drug and it can cause a multitude of symptoms - withdrawal when you try to stop it too quickly.  Even with a slower taper, some people still have severe withdrawal from it. 

You have to do what works best for you.  If you do not have bad symptoms that cause you discomfort and pain, that is great, but if you do, it is best to listen to your body and slow down.  What I do is make a small cut and see how it goes.  If I am doing ok in a couple weeks or so, I will make another cut.  If I make a cut and I am having terrible withdrawal symptoms, I wait until I feel better and then move on.  It is suggested that you not necessarily put a time frame on your taper because some cuts are harder than others and it takes more time to adjust to them.  Our brain and central nervous system has been affected and it takes time to heal as we are tapering off the drug.  I have been told many times that this is not a race.  I have been tapering off xanax for 2 years now and started at 3.5 - 4 mg a day split into 4 doses and am now at .625 mg a day split into 4 doses.  The reason it has taken me so long is mostly because some of my cuts were too big and it took me a long time to get better from them.  Also because some of my cuts, even though they were not big, were just hard on my brain at the time.  I would love to be off this and I know I will be but I have to do this the safest way and for me that means taking my time so I am healing my brain and central nervous system at the same time.  Some people rush and taper too fast and they find that when they get off the xanax, it takes months to feel better and feel normal again.  Xanax is meant to be a short term - 4-8 weeks total - medication and if it is taken longer than that, it affects the brain and CNS.  That is why it is hard to get off of and takes time.

Let me also say that some people do not have a rough time getting off xanax and I hope you are one of them but once xanax has been a part of your daily life for quite some time, it usually takes a while to taper which takes time.

I also have other health issues and do not take meds for them as I do not like taking meds and also because Xanax keeps me from taking some meds as the xanax made me allergic to countless drugs.    What I am doing in my life today is taking this one day at a time and doing the best I can. Exercise will be your friend through this. 

I absolutely HATE Xanax.  I can not tell you how much I dispise putting the pills in my mouth each day.  I totally relate to that and there are so many of us that totally understand how you feel.  I for one am one of them. 

Please take care and you will find that if you listen to your body, your taper will go well and be successful.    We are here anytime you need your questions answered- the best we can, and for support and encouragement.

:)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

WonderWoman welcome. Thank you for becoming more active in this thread. Every one has valuable insights, experiences and wisdom to offer.  Thank you for your contributions. Looking forward to future posts. And, of course, we are here to help and serve you in any way we can.

I agree Baddove - WonderWoman1111 - we appreciate your posting and being here.  The more people we have here the more support we can give one another. 

I really appreciate the support.  Because I practice ACT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, I understand patience and I accept pain and anxiety.  While I abhor this stuff I am in no hurry.  While I understand that suffering is no fun I, also realize that patience is a virtue.  What I don't want to do is overthink it. I am already faced with a blood test shortly to determine where I am with other issues.  I need not obcess.  I confess that I have been researching all of this too much.  It will be what it will be. My Docs think two months but most certainly do not push me. To the contrary, they agree that it will be what it will be.

I am 70, sick and concerned.  However, I have a terrific Wife and wonderful adult children.  While I have recently lost my two best friends, I am a fortunate man.

I really urge each you to check out Dr. Claire Weeks, " The Woman who cracked the anxiety code." She has been gone a while but I learned Acceptance and floating through issues from her writing. She has four easy yet tough rules:

1- Face it

2- Acceptance

3- Floating

4- Let time pass

What she theorized long ago is now accepted medicine.

Thanks to everyone,

Rcristal

Rcristal. I listen to Claire weeks almost daily, and also have her book. Just wanted you to know that many of us rely on Claire Weeks to calm us down and give us perspective. She was a gem.

Wanted to share with you a YouTube podcast which goes over her book, chapter by chapter. I enjoy their tone and contributions. I find them extremely beneficial in talking about their own experience, and elucidating on how to integrate her teachings.

I really appreciate the support.  Because I practice ACT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy, I understand patience and I accept pain and anxiety.  While I abhor this stuff I am in no hurry.  While I understand that suffering is no fun I, also realize that patience is a virtue.  What I don't want to do is overthink it. I am already faced with a blood test shortly to determine where I am with other issues.  I need not obcess.  I confess that I have been researching all of this too much.  It will be what it will be. My Docs think two months but most certainly do not push me. To the contrary, they agree that it will be what it will be.

I am 70, sick and concerned.  However, I have a terrific Wife and wonderful adult children.  While I have recently lost my two best friends, I am a fortunate man.

I really urge each you to check out Dr. Claire Weeks, " The Woman who cracked the anxiety code." She has been gone a while but I learned Acceptance and floating through issues from her writing. She has four easy yet tough rules:

1- Face it

2- Acceptance

3- Floating

4- Let time pass

What she theorized long ago is now accepted medicine.

Thanks to everyone,

Rcristal

It sounds like you are doing the right things for you and that is great!

I am happy to hear you also have a wonderful support system with your Wife and children.  That helps tremendously!  :)  I am sorry that you have lost 2 friends recently. I am sure that is difficult..

I appreciate you sharing about Claire, I have read post that Baddove has posted regarding her.  I plan to check that out.

I will say that I did a lot of researching as well at the beginning of my journey but like you found I was overthinking and had to stop.  I found it was not good for me.  Too many different variations of things that would make me depressed and sad.  I do not need that.  What we deal with on a daily basis with life in general is hard enough without adding to it.  Sounds like you are wise man.

Take care and be well.

:)

Rcristal. I listen to Claire weeks almost daily, and also have her book. Just wanted you to know that many of us rely on Claire Weeks to calm us down and give us perspective. She was a gem.

Wanted to share with you a YouTube podcast which goes over her book, chapter by chapter. I enjoy their tone and contributions. I find them extremely beneficial in talking about their own experience, and elucidating on how to integrate her teachings.

Hi Baddove,

Could you tell me where the best place is to find information on Claire Weeks is?  I have seen you speak of her before and since I believe you would steer me in the best direction, I thought I would asked you.  :smitten: :smitten:

1. Her book, "Hope and Help for your nerves." I got mine from Amazon on my kindle. It is available in print format as well.

On YouTube:

The wonderful commentary on her work play list:

Clips of her speaking: https://www.youtube.com/user/alexanderjdurham/videos

On  his page, he has a collection of her interviews under videos.

She has a strong Aussie accent, and I mimic it with it's force, "Everything happening is PERFECTLY NATURAL."

She does not address wd, but anxiety states. I get more from her than the wd videos, because she is so encouraging, she makes me feel like I can do this, and she did it herself. And, she makes me less afraid when I am in a wave or get new symptoms. No Horror stories. All positive, practical, and useful ways to use our amazing brains to learn to cope with whatever, no matter how bad it is. She has empathy, but a strong encouragement that we will get better, with techniques and practice.

Her words got me to leave the house when I did not think I could.

1. Her book, "Hope and Help for your nerves." I got mine from Amazon on my kindle. It is available in print format as well.

On YouTube:

The wonderful commentary on her work play list:

Clips of her speaking: https://www.youtube.com/user/alexanderjdurham/videos

On  his page, he has a collection of her interviews under videos.

She has a strong Aussie accent, and I mimic it with it's force, "Everything happening is PERFECTLY NATURAL."

She does not address wd, but anxiety states. I get more from her than the wd videos, because she is so encouraging, she makes me feel like I can do this, and she did it herself. And, she makes me less afraid when I am in a wave or get new symptoms. No Horror stories. All positive, practical, and useful ways to use our amazing brains to learn to cope with whatever, no matter how bad it is. She has empathy, but a strong encouragement that we will get better, with techniques and practice.

Her words got me to leave the house when I did not think I could.

Wow - this sounds great!  Just what I have been looking for.  I think I will buy the book tonight and hopefully I will get in a couple days and I will check out the videos soon.  Maybe tonight or tomorrow. 

Thank you so much!!! :angel: :angel: :angel:

Thank you Baddove! I am happy to be here and if I can share anything that helps another person I am happy to do so! You are always so helpful, encouraging, and positive for us all!

Tolnbltp,

How did the cut go? How are you feeling?

Hugs to you all!  :smitten:

Thank you Baddove! I am happy to be here and if I can share anything that helps another person I am happy to do so! You are always so helpful, encouraging, and positive for us all!

Tolnbltp,

How did the cut go? How are you feeling?

Hugs to you all!  :smitten:

Hi WonderWoman1111, You are right - Baddove is so helpful and positive and I am so glad she is  here.  Also - you have already helped me so I appreciate that you are here too.  :smitten:

I am doing ok so far - I did my cut yesterday and I am a little anxious but so far doing ok. Thanks for asking. 

Hope you are doing good too!

Hugs,

Julia  :smitten:

I am doing good, but my husband was diagnosed with Covid this morning. Ugh! 😩 He is feeling pretty crummy! The doctor suggested he quarantine away from me which he was doing the moment he felt sick and we sleep in separate bedrooms anyway so my 3 am alarm for my dose doesn't wake him up, but they also suggested I take vitamin d and c as a precaution to help. I'm so nervous and don't know if I'll take it because I don't take anything except my estradiol and my Xanax doses. My taper seems to be going well and I don't want to throw anything it off at all. Makes me so nervous. I'm going to remain positive and optimistic that I won't get it! Keep your fingers crossed and prayers coming!  Hugs to you all!  :smitten:

I am doing good, but my husband was diagnosed with Covid this morning. Ugh! 😩 He is feeling pretty crummy! The doctor suggested he quarantine away from me which he was doing the moment he felt sick and we sleep in separate bedrooms anyway so my 3 am alarm for my dose doesn't wake him up, but they also suggested I take vitamin d and c as a precaution to help. I'm so nervous and don't know if I'll take it because I don't take anything except my estradiol and my Xanax doses. My taper seems to be going well and I don't want to throw anything it off at all. Makes me so nervous. I'm going to remain positive and optimistic that I won't get it! Keep your fingers crossed and prayers coming!  Hugs to you all!  :smitten:

I am so sorry about your husband. My youngest son and his room-mates are recovering from Covid. Follow all medical advise regarding his quarantine, and yours. There is a wealth provided by the medical community.

Let us know how your both doing.

Wow - So sorry to hear that!  I am praying for you and your husband.  You have a great attitude and we are here if you need to vent or just need support and encouragement.  I hope your husband will recover quickly and that you will not get it.  You have to do what you feel is best for you.  I do not take anything other than xanax, Prilosec and vitamin D.  I do not like to deviate from that. 

I am glad your taper is going good.  Please take care and keep us posted.

Prayers and love headed your way!!!  :smitten: :smitten:

Wonder Woman-

I was looking for resources for covid in conjunction with drug tapering, nothing I could find.

Anyway, I have confidence in you. Often, caring for someone takes our minds off of our own "stuff."

Your going to be very busy with constant sanitizing and precautions. Please take some breaks and go sit outside and enjoy doing absolutely nothing, no phone, nothing, just sit, breathe, settle gently into yourself. If it's really cold, just bundle up. My family members who had a partner with covid (My mothers partner had it,) said the strict quarantine imposed on her was very hard. Only by sitting on her porch in full ski pants and "Bernie," mittens for an hour of quiet kept her sane without breaking quarantine.

She did not contract it. She was sanitizing constantly, and moved to the couch.

My hub and I took 2 of our young grandsons for 2 weeks (5 and 7) when they were exposed at school for their quarantine. Our daughter is a single mom, and a teacher, and couldn't take off work. Plus, the stress of being a teacher right now is just horrible. Both of my daughters are educators. My second daughter actually resigned her much loved position as she was to scared of Covid and bringing it home to her own 2 little ones. She is doing virtual learning with sick children.  My son and all his roomies are recovering from it, almost time to resume their lives. I have another son, no Covid in  his fam. (Yes, 4 children, loved every minute of raising them.)

As to anxiety/panic/wd, accept it will probably be triggered, but you know the cause, and you have us to lean on.

Your self care will be different, but it is vital.

Also, you could post in the Covid section for support: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=59.0

Much lovies :smitten:

tolnbltp,

Please take the vitamins and try to stay away from him as much as possible, I have a friend who husband got it but luckily she was spared.  I pray the same will be true for you.  It so difficult just trying to get through the taper, I can't imagine having covid on top of that.

There are 13 strains of covid, I hope he has the mildest form.

Take care!  Hugs..

Thanks Ladies! I am staying extremely busy for sure! We are using separate bathrooms as well as he is using a separate refrigerator, and yes I'm sanitizing like the dickens! I'll take the vitamins because if they are supposed to help then I need to choose my battles and so I'm going to try them.

Baddove, thank you so much for all your help again! I love being outside and even when it's cold! I love hearing about your kids! Educators are so important and very much on the frontlines too! I have two boys. One is a chiropractor who has been vaccinated for Covid and I am thankful to have him for adjustments. He's a good natural therapy doctor,  and my other son is a sophomore in college for video production, special film editing, and photography. He's very talented and I think at some point I want him to make a documentary film about benzo dangers, tapering, and withdrawals.  What we all go through!

Seasalt, thank you for your encouragement as always and how are you doing?

Big hugs to you all!  And P.S. Baddove I laughed so hard at the “Bernie” mittens comment! Oh my I love Bernie's mittens and all the memes and videos clever people are making about them! Lol

Thanks ladies! You guys are the absolute best! I just love you all so much!  :smitten:

You are wonderful yourself and love is being sent right back to you!  :smitten: :smitten:

I don’t know what I did to deserve to find you all and now don’t know what I’d do without you all!  :smitten: you really are blessings and angels here on earth!

tolnbltp,

Please take the vitamins and try to stay away from him as much as possible, I have a friend who husband got it but luckily she was spared.  I pray the same will be true for you.  It so difficult just trying to get through the taper, I can't imagine having covid on top of that.

There are 13 strains of covid, I hope he has the mildest form.

Take care!  Hugs..

Hi Seasalt - it is WonderWoman1111 who's husband has covid - but I thank you so much.  I agree with you that hopefully he has the mildest form and will recover quickly.

How are you doing?  I hope your taper is going well for you.

Hugs to you,

Julia

I don’t know what I did to deserve to find you all and now don’t know what I’d do without you all!  :smitten: you really are blessings and angels here on earth!

I believe in fate and that we were all brought here to help each other to get through some of the roughest and hardest times in our lives.  I agree with you - I do not know what I would do without all of you too!  There really are angels here on earth.  We may not see each other physically but we can feel what is in each others hearts!  Love to you !!!  :smitten: :smitten: :angel: :angel:

Wonder Woman-

I was looking for resources for covid in conjunction with drug tapering, nothing I could find.

Anyway, I have confidence in you. Often, caring for someone takes our minds off of our own "stuff."

Your going to be very busy with constant sanitizing and precautions. Please take some breaks and go sit outside and enjoy doing absolutely nothing, no phone, nothing, just sit, breathe, settle gently into yourself. If it's really cold, just bundle up. My family members who had a partner with covid (My mothers partner had it,) said the strict quarantine imposed on her was very hard. Only by sitting on her porch in full ski pants and "Bernie," mittens for an hour of quiet kept her sane without breaking quarantine.

She did not contract it. She was sanitizing constantly, and moved to the couch.

My hub and I took 2 of our young grandsons for 2 weeks (5 and 7) when they were exposed at school for their quarantine. Our daughter is a single mom, and a teacher, and couldn't take off work. Plus, the stress of being a teacher right now is just horrible. Both of my daughters are educators. My second daughter actually resigned her much loved position as she was to scared of Covid and bringing it home to her own 2 little ones. She is doing virtual learning with sick children.  My son and all his roomies are recovering from it, almost time to resume their lives. I have another son, no Covid in  his fam. (Yes, 4 children, loved every minute of raising them.)

As to anxiety/panic/wd, accept it will probably be triggered, but you know the cause, and you have us to lean on.

Your self care will be different, but it is vital.

Also, you could post in the Covid section for support: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=59.0

Much lovies :smitten:

Wow Baddove - you have had many scares with covid in your family - I am so thankful that they are all recovering or have recovered. 

You are so kind to offer so much information and encouragement.

I have to agree with WonderWoman1111 - when I read what you wrote about "Bernie" mittens, I laughed so hard!  That was great!!!

Hello all,

Hope you all are doing good.  This is day 3 of this cut and the discomfort has begun.  Today has started with stomach pain and just not feeling well.  I may have to lay down for a while.  This will get better - I am going to keep saying that!!!!!  I know it will get better.  I figured that I would be hit with some sort of discomfort and I was right.  This cramping feeling in my stomach is new but stomach discomfort is not.  We shall see....

Will check in later.

Hugs,

Julia

Awwww, I’m so sorry you are feeling discomfort! I am thinking of you! You got this! It will pass and get better. You are so strong and look how far you’ve come already! Sending big hugs!  :smitten: